Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

08/29/2020 Saturday Colts Practice - Another scrimmage at Lucas Oil Stadium

stitches

Today there will be another Colts scrimmage from Lucas Oil Stadium. Here's a link to a stream the Colts posted on their youtube channel(scheduled to start about 60 minutes from now), but again - I have no idea if they will just broadcast the warm ups and some interviews or the actual play too:

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Today there will be another Colts scrimmage from Lucas Oil Stadium. Here's a link to a stream the Colts posted on their youtube channel(scheduled to start about 60 minutes from now), but again - I have no idea if they will just broadcast the warm ups and some interviews or the actual play too:

Per Colts.com,

• Live feed of stretching, warm-ups and individual drills prior to the scrimmage

Isaiah Rodgers doing well returning kicks:

Drive #2:

Drive 3:

^all the reports from camp suggest that Pittman has been very weak at the catch point(seems like he's getting to the ball, but unable to hold it against pretty much every DB he's been matched up against). I didn't expect that to be the story about him coming out of camp. He was incredibly reliable in that department in college. 

And here we go with the TD for Michael Pittman:

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Well that's it... for that practice...  I'm gonna go watch the NBA playoffs. Cheers everybody :cheers:

Thanks @stitches ! 

Sounds like Pittman rebounded in the 2nd half.  Sounds like Taylor is going to be relied on more running the ball than catching (2 drops today and I think 2 drops in last scrimmage).  Discouraging to hear about Burton's injury... though sounds like Farrod Green had a very nice catch when he got called up.  Sounds like Lewis kept up his great camp and Buckner is gonna be a stud for us.

Burton's injury is a calf strain which according to Reich will take a while to recover from:

Worth pointing out that he battled calf strains throughout last year too... this might be worse than it looks on the surface if it's recurring injury in the same calf. 

On the other side, Kenny Moore seems close to return:

Reich thinks both kickers are NFL level kickers:

Reich on Pittman:

Reich on Buckner:

Good to see Fountain's name pop up.

Glad Pitt Jr bounced back.  Yeah it was against the 2/3's, but if he was dropping them all day then it would concern me.  Now I'm just thinking he may have to learn to protect the ball a bit better with better technique and possibly body position.  NFL DB's are a stronger and more aggressive with their hands than what existed in college.  Kind of hard to tell from these reports.  Can't wait for the season to start!

Are they just not reporting much on the running game or is the offense very pass-heavy this camp?

Thanks for the updates, Stitches!

41 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Glad Pitt Jr bounced back.  Yeah it was against the 2/3's, but if he was dropping them all day then it would concern me.  Now I'm just thinking he may have to learn to protect the ball a bit better with better technique and possibly body position.  NFL DB's are a stronger and more aggressive with their hands than what existed in college.  Kind of hard to tell from these reports.  Can't wait for the season to start!

Are they just not reporting much on the running game or is the offense very pass-heavy this camp?

It certainly seemed like the reporters basically only reported passing game.  And 28 passes attempted in the first half by Rivers is quite a bit more than Jacoby was throwing last year (he threw 30 or more times in a game just 6x last year).  

If Rivers is a big improvement to Jacoby, I won't be shocked if our offense features a heavier pass attack this season.  That said, the WR group is arguably the most competitive battle in camp.  I think the coaches pretty much know Mack, Taylor, Hines (and I think Wilkins) will make the team with not much competition after that.  At WR, there's a big challenge for the final 1-2 spots after TY, Campbell, Pittman and Pascal going on between Dulin, Patmon, Fountain, and it seems like Artavis Scott and DeMichael Harris are getting a bit of reps.  I wonder if they're heavy on passing in these scrimmages to get a better evaluation of the WRs.  Also, with Burton's injury there will be some competition for the 3rd TE spot on the opening day roster it sounds like - and it sounds like Farrod Green made at least one very nice catch today.

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Pitman's drop rate in college was extremely low. Below is a chart I found. I'm sure the kid is just settling in.

Everyone seems to remember Jerry Rice dropped a ton of passes in his rookie camp.

Here’s how some WRs compared in drop rate last season: Pittman Jr. = 2.7% Shenault = 4.9% Aiyuk = 8.2% Higgins = 8.6% Mims = 9.3% Claypool = 9.6% Reagor = 13% Michael Pittman Jr. continues to stand out as the best fit for the #Colts. Captain, Senior Bowl, reliable hands.

11:13 AM · Apr 15, 2020

What will be funny to see if it happens is if we have one or more posters here read the tweets from half a dozen different reporters on Pitt's drop on the same play, and then a week later try to tell all of us that there were "all these stories about Pitt having 6 drops a week ago in the scrimmage", ha ha.

The Bucs are bringing in veteran kickers today.  I believe a few other teams are as well.  Reich says we have two NFL kickers.  I would hope Ballard trades the kicker that loses the competition.  It looks like there is a market. This could be an interesting week leading up to cut-downs.  

6 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

What will be funny to see if it happens is if we have one or more posters here read the tweets from half a dozen different reporters on Pitt's drop on the same play, and then a week later try to tell all of us that there were "all these stories about Pitt having 6 drops a week ago in the scrimmage", ha ha.

It is unfortunately a trend though, and has been mentioned as such. Just like the trend of Taylor dropping balls. It's not just duplication of tweets.

9 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

@aaron11 you see how "good" chad has been in practice lol

I find it hilarious that when Kelly looked good in preseason last year, everyone said it didn't matter because he was running with the 3s and 4s. Now that he struggled in two scrimmages with the 3s and 4s, where the media has reported our OL has been roasted, now running with the 3s and 4s DOES MATTER.. lol

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

@aaron11 you see how "good" chad has been in practice lol

not sure why you felt the need to quote this.  third string qb has a pass tipped by a wr and picked off and you think thats note worthy for some reason

the defense won against the second through forth string in general. jacoby also had a bad day

20 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

not sure why you felt the need to quote this.  third string qb has a pass tipped by a wr and picked off and you think thats note worthy for some reason

the defense won against the second through forth string in general. jacoby also had a bad day

Because you said chad kelly was having a good camp which he is not...yes a third string qb who can't beat a 3rd defense that's why I said he's getting cut and eason is doing alot better than him.....how brissett have a bad day? He only had 7 incompletions plus 1 TD pass

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I find it hilarious that when Kelly looked good in preseason last year, everyone said it didn't matter because he was running with the 3s and 4s. Now that he struggled in two scrimmages with the 3s and 4s, where the media has reported our OL has been roasted, now running with the 3s and 4s DOES MATTER.. lol

Exactly he's not that good that's why I see him getting cut and we keeping eason on the roster

17 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The Bucs are bringing in veteran kickers today.  I believe a few other teams are as well.  Reich says we have two NFL kickers.  I would hope Ballard trades the kicker that loses the competition.  It looks like there is a market. This could be an interesting week leading up to cut-downs.  

Just why would the Bucs trade for a kicker when all they have to do is wait for the cut downs?

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

yes he is, the team has him in front of eason too. that interception was tipped by the receiver btw

You're sadly mistaken if you think the colts will protect Kelly and put Eason through waivers. Plus you have no idea if the team just is giving Kelly the 3rd string reps because they think he has out performed Eason to this point.

I would think they would want to see more of Kelly as they already know what they are doing with Eason. He will make the final roster and learn behind Rivers.

Options are multiple with Kelly..... 

1) Waive him and hope no one claims him and move to the PS.
2) Try to trade him. This would be difficult as he has no real value at this point in time.

3) Trade Brissett and carry Kelly and Eason. Another tough one as Brissett is a good back up and has a big contract and no control after this year

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just why would the Bucs trade for a kicker when all they have to do is wait for the cut downs?

For the reason they might like both Colt kickers a lot and figure another team that needs a K could have a higher position in waivers . Or they might like one Colt K more than the other and hope the Colts have them about even and would take either plus the TB draft pick.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's the only way to guarantee that he is on your roster.  If he is cut you might lose out on signing him.  They are obviously looking for one.  So it might make sense to make a trade and get your kicker.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

You're sadly mistaken if you think the colts will protect Kelly and put Eason through waivers.

who said that??  heres what i actually think now, both are third string caliber qbs that probably wont amount to much in the league

i have said i thought chad should have played late last year over jacoby when he had two horrible games 

Archived