Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

08/28/2020 Friday Colts Practice - Banogu is back

Pittman has been dropping a lot of balls... that's something I didn't expect from him. He was incredibly secure and reliable with his hands in college. 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, stitches said:

While there have been a couple picks or near picks, it seems Rivers has had a great camp. Deep ball seems excellent, accuracy is on point, connecting with many weapons. Very excited to see where he can take this team

24 minutes ago, TheMose said:

While there have been a couple picks or near picks, it seems Rivers has had a great camp. Deep ball seems excellent, accuracy is on point, connecting with many weapons. Very excited to see where he can take this team

Yes and I gotta imagine he takes more risks in practice than the real games. In a real game he would go for 90% probability throw over 55%. In practice you need to practice the more difficult completions. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, stitches said:

Pittman has been dropping a lot of balls... that's something I didn't expect from him. He was incredibly secure and reliable with his hands in college. 

Right.  Doesn't he have like 11" hands or something.  anything he touches should be caught.

• Like 2

I'm not too concerned about Pittman's practice drops right now. It's most likely rookie nerves and will fade with experience. He has the history of being extremely reliable so I have faith in him still. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, stitches said:

For me...   a good rule of thumb to remember us that rookie wide receivers often struggle with one aspect or another.

In 1985, the wide receiver who led all WR’s in the NFL in drops for the regular season was some rookie named Jerry Rice.   He turned out pretty well.    Hey, stuff happens. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
56 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Man

Season 2 What GIF by CBS All Access

Shout out to the players for not having a day off yesterday and making it a day of productivity.

pat morita nod GIF

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TheMose said:

I'm not too concerned about Pittman's practice drops right now. It's most likely rookie nerves and will fade with experience. He has the history of being extremely reliable so I have faith in him still. 

I completely disagree here. I'm not too concerned about him getting burned by Xavier because he just needs to learn to get more physical. However, when he is dropping simple passes and he is known for his hands, then you need to worry about him. A receiver is useless when he is dropping passes. Pittman needs to get it together, he has been "very unimpressive" in training camp and practices to say the least. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I completely disagree here. I'm not too concerned about him getting burned by Xavier because he just needs to learn to get more physical. However, when he is dropping simple passes and he is known for his hands, then you need to worry about him. A receiver is useless when he is dropping passes. Pittman needs to get it together, he has been "very unimpressive" in training camp and practices to say the least. 

He’ll be fine. Perspective is required here. He’s a young guy adapting to the NFL. We know he has the talent; the hands; the pedigree. It will likely come together for him over the course of the season, but as they say, the game needs to slow down first. And it will in time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
41 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, but he and his lady make great youtube videos.  :cheer2:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Drops are extremely common for rookies because they are constantly overthinking things and in their own heads. He hasn't played a single game yet, so again, I'm not concerned yet. And I've read nothing suggesting Pittman has been very unimpressive in training camp outside of the maybe 3 drops we have heard. He has actually impressed with his "strong hands" and effectiveness as a run blocker. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Where has it been mentioned that he has been "very unimpressive" by anyone other that you?

• Like 1
Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Where has it been mentioned that he has been "very unimpressive" by anyone other that you?

Nowhere by those words, but it's been mentioned almost daily in every practice that Xavier Rhodes and Rock Ya-Sin are shutting him down. He also hasn't caught a single pass Vs Rhodes, which is concerning because if all a team has to do is put their big, physical CB on Pittman to shut him down, then he won't be of much use. He's also dropped a handful of passes and he's known for his hands. Not a good start.

Ballard and Reich aren't going to say anything negative about him, but all you have to do is look at the practices and training camp reviews to see he is outmatched by Rhodes and Rock, our bigger, more physical CBs.

36 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Drops are extremely common for rookies because they are constantly overthinking things and in their own heads. He hasn't played a single game yet, so again, I'm not concerned yet. And I've read nothing suggesting Pittman has been very unimpressive in training camp outside of the maybe 3 drops we have heard. He has actually impressed with his "strong hands" and effectiveness as a run blocker. 

The fact that Rhodes and Rock have completely shut him down is very concerning. That suggests a team just has to put their biggest, most physical CB on Pittman and they can take him out of the game. Pittman needs to learn to be more physical or he will be eaten alive. He's not ready yet.

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

He’ll be fine. Perspective is required here. He’s a young guy adapting to the NFL. We know he has the talent; the hands; the pedigree. It will likely come together for him over the course of the season, but as they say, the game needs to slow down first. And it will in time. 

He did have all that in college, just like everyone who goes in the top two rounds. However, he has to take the next step and do it in the pros. I'm not expecting him to be a no1 receiver out of the gate, I'm just expecting him to be good at the things he's supposed to be good at (hands, route running, size and physicality). Right now, he doesn't even look ready to play in the NFL and it's very concerning.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Man

Not sure what happened there but the full post was supposed to read “man, a mother receiver out?!” In reference to both Campbell and Pascal being out today 

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Season 2 What GIF by CBS All Access

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He did have all that in college, just like everyone who goes in the top two rounds. However, he has to take the next step and do it in the pros. I'm not expecting him to be a no1 receiver out of the gate, I'm just expecting him to be good at the things he's supposed to be good at (hands, route running, size and physicality). Right now, he doesn't even look ready to play in the NFL and it's very concerning.

Hum are you at the practices? I like to make my own assessments with my own eyes!

13 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Hum are you at the practices? I like to make my own assessments with my own eyes!

I doubt the site is lying with its reviews. It's not that hard to tell the truth or not if Pittman is getting beat by Rhodes and Rock and dropping passes. No one is going to lie about that. Also, if you have film of the practices that you can analytically break down for us that shows something different about Pittman, I'd love to see it and I'm sure everyone else would as well. Otherwise, we can only see what we're shown and what's being reported, and it's not good news thus far in Pittmans case.

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I doubt the site is lying with its reviews. It's not that hard to tell the truth or not if Pittman is getting beat by Rhodes and Rock and dropping passes. No one is going to lie about that. Also, if you have film of the practices that you can analytically break down for us that shows something different about Pittman, I'd love to see it and I'm sure everyone else would as well. Otherwise, we can only see what we're shown and what's being reported, and it's not good news thus far in Pittmans case.

He has shown well in college & has the bloodline to excel. My guess is that he will show well in the pros as well. Pittman in videos before camp with his girlfriend appears to be a laid back guy. I expected some adjustment to the pro game. Covid adding another dimension to the adjustment period as well. Rock And Rhodes are very physical corners. My hope is it will only make him BETTER! 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For me...   a good rule of thumb to remember us that rookie wide receivers often struggle with one aspect or another.

In 1985, the wide receiver who led all WR’s in the NFL in drops for the regular season was some rookie named Jerry Rice.   He turned out pretty well.    Hey, stuff happens. 

The only time I'm worried about a receiver not catching the ball is if he's not fundamentally sound -- a body catcher, turns his hands the wrong way, can't track the ball, can't high point, or something specific that he's doing wrong. If it's just a lack of focus, or even the yips, I expect him to work through it and get it fixed.

I can't see what's going on with Pittman right now. It might even be overstated, I don't know. But I watched a lot of his college games, so I know he doesn't have fundamental issues as a pass catcher. I think he'll be fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nowhere by those words, but it's been mentioned almost daily in every practice that Xavier Rhodes and Rock Ya-Sin are shutting him down. He also hasn't caught a single pass Vs Rhodes, which is concerning because if all a team has to do is put their big, physical CB on Pittman to shut him down, then he won't be of much use. He's also dropped a handful of passes and he's known for his hands. Not a good start.

Ballard and Reich aren't going to say anything negative about him, but all you have to do is look at the practices and training camp reviews to see he is outmatched by Rhodes and Rock, our bigger, more physical CBs.

So the rookie Pittman is not doing very well against a seasoned veteran (Rhodes) and one of the best up and coming players in the NFL (Ya-Sin) and you call him unimpressive. 

You distinctively have a way of over reacting most of the time.

Pittman is going to be a very good receiver once he learns how to play in the NFL.

Just like most all rookie receivers that enter the league he will struggle at times and have times when he looks great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little sick to the stomach hearing some of the things lol. But I also know it's way too early to be too concerned. I always fall back on logic as much as possible in these situations. He's a rook. He's got good measureables and is fundamentally sound. He had great production in a P5 conference (the weakest P5 conference, but still P5).  He's going up against Ya-Sin who was playing at top 10ish CB level the last half of the year per PFF. He's playing against against Rhodes, who IF he's back to form, was a Pro Bowl CB three of the last four years (all though he probably shouldn't have been last year).

I would love to hear he's killing it, but then I'd be a bit concerned about the CBs lol. Cuts both ways. We also know he's running with the 1s, and frankly we're not hearing a lot of great stuff about any WR running with the 1s. We're hearing more about Burton, and the WRs running with the 2s and 3s. 

Personally going to chalk this up to rook jitters and tough CB play. The tough CB play that will likely make him better as he matures. And keep in mind he's still a young kid, in a new state, with a new team, learning new routes, in a new scheme, with a new QB and new coach. There's a lot to process. I'm sure the head will catch up the body will follow.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I haven't seen reviews saying Pittman is being dominated by Rhodes and Rock. Can you direct me to it. Is it mentioned in multiple practices ? I looked on colts.com and could only find this ...

The opening 11-on-11 session ended with back-to-back completions to the Colts' top two draft picks this year: first, quarterback Philip Rivers found running back Jonathan Taylor all alone in the flat, and he sprinted up the sideline for a huge gain. On the next play, Rivers found wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. — who had a nifty double move to evade cornerback Rock Ya-Sin — over the middle. Taylor would later add a 10-yard touchdown reception from quarterback Chad Kelly during a red zone drill.

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I haven't seen reviews saying Pittman is being dominated by Rhodes and Rock. Can you direct me to it. Is it mentioned in multiple practices ? I looked on colts.com and could only find this ...

There's plenty of it. Just look back in @stitches threads or twitter. While I would say "dominated" is a strong word that I don't really subscribe to, the reports suggest Rhodes (more than Rock) is absolutely winning the match up.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

There's plenty of it. Just look back in @stitches threads or twitter. While I would say "dominated" is a strong word that I don't really subscribe to, the reports suggest Rhodes (more than Rock) is absolutely winning the match up.

I'll take your word for it. All I had seen mentioned were some drops.