Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dezmon Patmon

Dark Superman

More likely he and Fountain both make it. But that means 6 WRs are kept plus Dulin gets pushed aside. Dulin is a STs star and the team values that. The battle for WR5 (and presumably 6) is  going to go down to the wire. Having depth  and talent at a position that lacked both not that long ago is a good thing. 

I think we'll keep 6 WRs.  Assuming no injuries, I think TY, Pittman, Campbell and Pascal are locks.

The final 2 spots come down (IMO) to Patmon, Fountain and Dulin.  Due to his ability to play well on STs, I think Dulin gets a spot.  I think Patmon edges out Fountain for the other spot based on his upside.  

It sounds like Artavious Scott is having a heck of a camp, but I don't see him as more than a PS guy.  I also think we'll keep DeMichael Harris on the PS.  I don't see whoever gets axed among Patmon, Fountain and Dulin clearing waivers and think another team will pick whichever one (or two) of them get cut.  

Also thought Marcus Johnson had a good shot at making the team, but sounds like he's barely (if at all) been able to make it to camp due to injury.  Wouldn't be shocked if they put him on some injury list or attempt to keep him on the PS.

Definitely one of the tightest battles in camp, I really like Patmon and think Fountain has more upside then Dulin at WR but Dulin brings more to special teams for us, wont be easy to make the choice.  Harris should be in p.s. mix for sure. Scott was slot WR for those Clemson squads when Deon Cain was the deep threat, he may make P.S. as well.

I bet both Patmon and Fountain make the roster. Why?  Check out their impressive media interviews on Colts.com.  No way the Colts post those if they might need to stash them on the practice squad.  

By the way, as a new fan I’ve taken it upon myself to watch every interview posted. Very impressed with this team and the coaches. 

6 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Definitely one of the tightest battles in camp, I really like Patmon and think Fountain has more upside then Dulin at WR but Dulin brings more to special teams for us, wont be easy to make the choice.  Harris should be in p.s. mix for sure. Scott was slot WR for those Clemson squads when Deon Cain was the deep threat, he may make P.S. as well.

With his speed and return ability, I wouldn't be shocked if Harris is in the mix of making the roster (tend to think STs, but he almost seems like he could be a second Hines -- it'd be pretty scary to have Hines/Campbell/TY/Harris on the field with their speed and ability to be utilized by Rivers).

Also, not sure about Fountain having more upside than Dulin.  Dulin has slightly better size and comes from a D2 school, so very raw last year as a rookie.  I think he can be a better blocker and a better threat on the outside than Fountain, plus I'd assume if either of them make the team and our top 4 (TY/Pittman/Campbell/Pascal) stay healthy, they'd not be getting much time as WR.  Dulin's ability on STs may very well separate him.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

What is interesting to me is the routes we hear Pittman and Patmon running. If memory serves, Patmon is running deeper routes, while Pittman is running possession routes. Not being able to "see" really stinks. 

I never realized how much I love watching Preseason. =/

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

With his speed and return ability, I wouldn't be shocked if Harris is in the mix of making the roster (tend to think STs, but he almost seems like he could be a second Hines -- it'd be pretty scary to have Hines/Campbell/TY/Harris on the field with their speed and ability to be utilized by Rivers).

Also, not sure about Fountain having more upside than Dulin.  Dulin has slightly better size and comes from a D2 school, so very raw last year as a rookie.  I think he can be a better blocker and a better threat on the outside than Fountain, plus I'd assume if either of them make the team and our top 4 (TY/Pittman/Campbell/Pascal) stay healthy, they'd not be getting much time as WR.  Dulin's ability on STs may very well separate him.

I forgot about Dulin! I woulnd't be shocked if Dulin is the 5th WR while Patmon, Fountain, and Johnson battle for the 6th.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Reports are Pittman has had a very good camp and might be sliding up the depth chart.

Pittman Jr and Jonathon Taylor are two guys I'm not worried about. I know these two can ball and help the Colts not only win now, but for many years beyond 2020. 

4 hours ago, DarkSu said:

Will make the final 53 man roster and beat out Daurice Fountain for the final WR spot. 

You heard it here first. 

I think they carry 6 given the injury history these past few seasons. 

-Hilton

-Campbell

-Pittman

-Pascal

-Fountain 

-Patmon 

2 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

I bet both Patmon and Fountain make the roster. Why?  Check out their impressive media interviews on Colts.com.  No way the Colts post those if they might need to stash them on the practice squad.  

By the way, as a new fan I’ve taken it upon myself to watch every interview posted. Very impressed with this team and the coaches. 

Normally I'd agree, but this regime has both spoken and shown a preference for the "bottom" of the roster to demonstrate Special Teams ability. Quincy Wilson could have probably helped our secondary this year, and we sank a 2nd round pick into him, but he was unable to crack the starting lineup and/or primary backup slot, so his lack of special teams ability bought him a one way ticket out of here. Lower 2nd and 3rd teams players have more value as special teamers than they do as actual position players on this roster as designed by Ballard and Reich.

My guess, based on observations, is that Patmon and Dulin get the spots, assuming Patmon shows the minimal amount of ST blocking necessary.  I think Fountain, as much as I like him, os the odd man out.

2 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I think they carry 6 given the injury history these past few seasons. 

-Hilton

-Campbell

-Pittman

-Pascal

-Fountain 

-Patmon 

That's my emotional favorite list, but there is a lot of talent for the coaches and FO to sort through before cuts.

Going to be interesting, no preseason sure makes it tough on these borderline players.

5 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Welcome aboard!

To the bolded, I really love the amount of interviews we get and so impressed with how articulate and intelligent these young players are...   not so much the "oh duh, dumb jock" anymore, not only getting talented athletes but FO is getting high character people for the SHOE! 

Love the direction this team is heading!

:coltslogo:

I'm honestly starting to like Patmon a whole lot and hoping he makes the team. He seems much more polished and ready than a normal 6th round pick, which is ironic because he was perceived as very raw. Add his 6'4 frame to that and I think he could make the team and do something for us in year 1 (when I say something, I mean 200-250 yds receiving and 3-4 tds as a red zone threat).

Looking like a steal in round 6 and I'm honestly liking him better than Pittman right now if we're just judging by training camp and practices (which is all we can currently go by). It's funny, one of my best friends said there wasn't too much of a difference between Pittman and Patmon and that Patmon could have a better career. I laughed it off originally, but Patmon may give Ballard something to thing about when making cuts. I just pray he doesn't go to the practice squad and get claimed. That would be awful IMO.

8 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

look at how heavy they marketed deon Cain last year before cutting him.   You can predict who makes it by video promos.  

No way Ballard & Reich can trust TY & Campbell to stay healthy all season. I think we keep Hilton Campbell Pittman Pascal Patmon & Dulin.  Fountain & Harris make practice squad.  
How many receivers do we usually have active for game day?  

8 hours ago, DarkSu said:

I forgot about Dulin! I woulnd't be shocked if Dulin is the 5th WR while Patmon, Fountain, and Johnson battle for the 6th.

There probably won't be a 6th WR on the 53. 

They will just use the expanded PS with the protected option for the extra WRs.

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

No way Ballard & Reich can trust TY & Campbell to stay healthy all season. I think we keep Hilton Campbell Pittman Pascal Patmon & Dulin.  Fountain & Harris make practice squad.  
How many receivers do we usually have active for game day?  

We can keep 48 instead of 46 on the active roster for game day this year (with one of the extras being an OL).  This is where I see Dulin having an edge to Fountain.  Say we were only going to keep 4 or 5 active WRs on the roster, Dulin's ST ability would allow for him to be active more as a STer than a WR (but could play WR if needed in emergency).

21 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

The protected option is tricky.  Four players can be protected from Tuesday-game day.  All players will be able to be claimed on Mondays, so it's not like we can fully protect a guy for an entire season.  

I think pretty much everyone is set that TY, Pittman, Campbell, Pascal are our top four.  Out of Dulin, Fountain and Patmon I think any one of the 3 of them would be claimed by another team if we sent them to the PS.

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

What is interesting to me is the routes we hear Pittman and Patmon running. If memory serves, Patmon is running deeper routes, while Pittman is running possession routes. Not being able to "see" really stinks. 

I think Pittman is going to be a possession WR in the NFL...much like Keenan Allen....while Patmon will be more of a Malcom Floyd downfield threat.

12 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

The protected option is tricky.  Four players can be protected from Tuesday-game day.  All players will be able to be claimed on Mondays, so it's not like we can fully protect a guy for an entire season.  

I think pretty much everyone is set that TY, Pittman, Campbell, Pascal are our top four.  Out of Dulin, Fountain and Patmon I think any one of the 3 of them would be claimed by another team if we sent them to the PS.

I’m not convinced Fountain would be claimed. He’s had great camps but done nothing during the regular season due to injuries. Dulin would be snapped up because of ST prowess. And Patmon has talent. In an ultra deep WR class guys like him slipped much further than in a normal draft. I doubt the Colts were the only team interested, and Patmon could easily be lost if exposed. So IMO, Fountain would be the least likely to be lost if placed on the PS, and would be the right guy to cut. 

11 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Since 2018 (when Fountain was drafted)...nearly 100 WRs have been drafted by NFL teams...and that number is likely quadrupled when you factor in UDFA signings. There are just a lot of WRs in the NFL...and most of them are fringe depth chart WRs like those three. 

So naturally, I think there will be a lot of WRs out there on PSs this year...just because there are so many and because of the new rules and their STs usage. And I would think most teams would rather bring up their own PS WR who knows the system (that they can revert back to the PS)...than have to commit a roster spot to a new WR from another team's depth chart.

29 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I’m not convinced Fountain would be claimed. He’s had great camps but done nothing during the regular season due to injuries. Dulin would be snapped up because of ST prowess. And Patmon has talent. In an ultra deep WR class guys like him slipped much further than in a normal draft. I doubt the Colts were the only team interested, and Patmon could easily be lost if exposed. So IMO, Fountain would be the least likely to be lost if placed on the PS, and would be the right guy to cut. 

29 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Since 2018 (when Fountain was drafted)...nearly 100 WRs have been drafted by NFL teams...and that number is likely quadrupled when you factor in UDFA signings. There are just a lot of WRs in the NFL...and most of them are fringe depth chart WRs like those three. 

So naturally, I think there will be a lot of WRs out there on PSs this year...just because there are so many and because of the new rules and their STs usage. And I would think most teams would rather bring up their own PS WR who knows the system (that they can revert back to the PS)...than have to commit a roster spot to a new WR from another team's depth chart.

Both good points.  I suspect the lack of pre season games this year may also influence practice squads.  Teams won't really know how to evaluate players across the league (especially young guys without much previous NFL tape on them) since they haven't had the opportunity to see these guys play in the PS.  Another case to make on Fountain being safe on our PS is that he's coming off a bad injury so without having game tapes on him, other teams won't know if he's really at full game speed.  

I love watching his highlights. 

I do wonder though with how gaudy Anthony Gordon's passing stats were last season for Washington State at 5,500 yards and 48 TDs, why did Patmon only have 800 yards and 8 TDs? Did Gordon simply spread the ball around a ton?

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm honestly starting to like Patmon a whole lot and hoping he makes the team. He seems much more polished and ready than a normal 6th round pick, which is ironic because he was perceived as very raw. Add his 6'4 frame to that and I think he could make the team and do something for us in year 1 (when I say something, I mean 200-250 yds receiving and 3-4 tds as a red zone threat).

Looking like a steal in round 6 and I'm honestly liking him better than Pittman right now if we're just judging by training camp and practices (which is all we can currently go by). It's funny, one of my best friends said there wasn't too much of a difference between Pittman and Patmon and that Patmon could have a better career. I laughed it off originally, but Patmon may give Ballard something to thing about when making cuts. I just pray he doesn't go to the practice squad and get claimed. That would be awful IMO.

They are virtually the same athlete. One seems more inclined for the down the field balls (Patmon) based on speed and vertical jump and one seems to be the better route runner (Pittman) based off of Short Shuttle and 3-Cone Drill.

Patmon.png

Pittman.png

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I love watching his highlights. 

I do wonder though with how gaudy Anthony Gordon's passing stats were last season for Washington State at 5,500 yards and 48 TDs, why did Patmon only have 800 yards and 8 TDs? Did Gordon simply spread the ball around a ton?

Probably just moving the ball around...and the spread offense they run.

Lots of talented guys in college though...so you just never know. I mean...Ruggs was the 1st WR taken in the NFL draft (in a loaded class) and he was the #3 receiving option for Bama the past two years. 

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

See my above post! Ha!

Yeah...I don't think it's a coincidence if they are using them on different routes that way.

Patmon has good speed for size...but his 3-cone and SS would seem to suggest he could have trouble separating from athletic CBs in the short-intermediate routes (especially lined up on the outside). So with his size and good speed...it would be better to use him downfield as a threat. I don't know if I see Patmon ever being anything more than that...but there are guys that make an NFL career off a role like that.

Meanwhile, while Pittman might be able to work downfield...his quickness, agility and route running...especially with his size and catch radius...make him ideal for he for the short-intermediate area (lined up on the outside...and potentially for the bully slot).

Then you have Hilton and Campbell as Z WRs...moving around and occupying the slot...and being used on short-deep crossing routes and slants.

39 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah...I don't think it's a coincidence if they are using them on different routes that way.

Patmon has good speed for size...but his 3-cone and SS would seem to suggest he could have trouble separating from athletic CBs in the short-intermediate routes (especially lined up on the outside). So with his size and good speed...it would be better to use him downfield as a threat. I don't know if I see Patmon ever being anything more than that...but there are guys that make an NFL career off a role like that.

Meanwhile, while Pittman might be able to work downfield...his quickness, agility and route running...especially with his size and catch radius...make him ideal for he for the short-intermediate area (lined up on the outside...and potentially for the bully slot).

Then you have Hilton and Campbell as Z WRs...moving around and occupying the slot...and being used on short-deep crossing routes and slants.

Yessir! I see Patmon as the complimentary deep threat like a Malcolm Floyd or a John Taylor was.

I'd love to see 4 wide sets with Patmon and Pittman on the outside and Hilton and Campbell (and Dulin/Fountain) running deep crossers, drag routes, deep outs, deep ins, double moves and even flooding the zone underneath Patmon for the long ball. That is a lot of size and speed on the field at one time. Plus you still have the running back to dump off to underneath or on a wheel pattern too.

16 hours ago, DarkSu said:

I never realized how much I love watching Preseason. =/

Yup. Prior to this year, I was supportive of cutting preseason games in half, or even down to one (if they increased the regular season). Now I'd kill for a preseason game lol. The outcomes of the game still don't matter much to me, but I really would enjoy seeing the rooks. I think having a new QB this year adds to it as well. 

6 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I think Pittman is going to be a possession WR in the NFL...much like Keenan Allen....while Patmon will be more of a Malcom Floyd downfield threat.

Yup, but it's just strange in a few areas. I can certainly understand using Pittman as a possession guy because he's seen as the more physical guy, and more polished on routes... But at the same time, if you're tossing 50/50 balls deep, you want that more physical guy jumping deep as well. Given the O scheme that Patmon comes from, it also makes a bit of sense.

I'm just happy to hear Patmon is doing so well, and competing for a spot. While I hoped he would, I didn't anticipate it given all the film I've seen, and with everything the talking heads had to say about him being a one speed guy, sloppy breaks, and not playing up to his size. I'm sure he still needs to improve in those areas, but it's great to hear he's doing well with what they are asking him to do.

7 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

The protection isn't really full protection. PS players are only protected Tuesday afternoon through game day. After the game through early Tuesday, they can be poached. IMO, they'll keep 6, as they won't want the 6th guy getting poached. It's easier to stash other types of players on the PS. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

I would be amazed if an injury to at least one WR make this a lot easier than folks are anticipating. 

Given our past couple years, I agree. Perhaps though the gods of health smile on us this year though. I'd be lying though if I didn't expect some injuries (not just WR) to pop up in the next couple weeks.

Enjoyed the colts.com piece on Patmon and Fountain. Love that Patmon is seeking out TY's help. Also great hearing his honesty in terms of where he needs to improve (playing to his size). I know he has several other areas where he needs to improve, but sounds like the young man is embracing his chance and working hard. 

I'd really love to know more about the routes he's running, and what position he's running out of.

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Yessir! I see Patmon as the complimentary deep threat like a Malcolm Floyd or a John Taylor was.

I'd love to see 4 wide sets with Patmon and Pittman on the outside and Hilton and Campbell (and Dulin/Fountain) running deep crossers, drag routes, deep outs, deep ins, double moves and even flooding the zone underneath Patmon for the long ball. That is a lot of size and speed on the field at one time. Plus you still have the running back to dump off to underneath or on a wheel pattern too.

You don’t see Pascal making the 53 man squad? I’d say you are in the extreme minority on this. Right now he’s the #3, until Campbell asserts himself. 

Archived