Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Indy Covet Love


Recommended Posts

I didn't think so as there were some trades around #25 . That would mean the Colts could have traded into the mid 20's. The report that GB moved up to get ahead of the Colt's , who were said to had targeted him at pick # 2.2 , was strongly denied by Ballard. I tend to believe him .

 

Anyway , here's an update on how Love has looked so far ....

 

The Athletic's Matt Schneidman wrote that Jordan Love "has yet to even provide a glimpse at why the Packers traded up to draft him in the first round."

Love was featured in the "Falling Stock" section of the Packers' training camp recap, largely because of his arm. Schneidman writes, "Nobody expected him to take the world by storm in his first nine practices, but every throw he makes seems like a touch pass and he’s had some accuracy issues early on." Love was a highly debated prospect coming out of Utah State for this exact reason. While he made unbelievable plays at times, Love had notable accuracy and interception issues on tape. The Packers likely have two seasons to groom Love with Aaron Rodgers' contract essentially preventing him from leaving before that, but it appears they have their work cut out with development. Love's raw tools are what made the Packers trade up for him in the later portion of the 2020 first round.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Looks like another one of those good decisions by CB, as seen in retrospect.

 

It's early but if he were a Colt , I would hate reading that write-up.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Tua will have the best chance to succeed from this draft class.  Everyone else has huge question marks.  Was a bad year to need a QB.  
 

Eason was drafted in the perfect spot for a low risk high reward investment.  Chances are extremely high he won’t become a franchise QB but maybe he can replace Brissett and be a high level backup.  That would be a great use of a 4th rd pick. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think Tua will have the best chance to succeed from this draft class.  Everyone else has huge question marks.  Was a bad year to need a QB.  
 

Eason was drafted in the perfect spot for a low risk high reward investment.  Chances are extremely high he won’t become a franchise QB but maybe he can replace Brissett and be a high level backup.  That would be a great use of a 4th rd pick. 

Tuas injury history should scare miami

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know why posters think the know enough about rookies in a month.    A month that comes after a bizarre offseason.

 

But people have already jumped to conclusions, because that’s what fans like to do....  it’s like predicting the outcome of a marathon based on the first mile....   crazy. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jvan1973 said:

Tuas injury history should scare miami


Oh most definitely.  I could see every QB in this draft under achieving.  Burrow is in a QB wasteland, going to Cleveland or Jacksonville would probably be the only worse situations.  Miami isnt much better but I like their coach.  Hopefully they keep aria protected and he learns to also protect himself.  Herbert will get his shot but I see him flaming out as a starter after 7yrs.  Love is not a franchise QB.  Packers were dumb to trade up for him and will regret wasting that pick.  Reminds of that kid Denver drafted from Memphis that never could crack the lineup bc he never got better. Paxton Lynch I believe.  I did forget about Hurts in Philly.  That may turn out to be the perfect coach and new age QB combination that could win some games.  If Wentz goes down again(he will), Hurts may surprise some people. 
 

Eason has a shot at developing behind a decent QB in Rivers and getting his chance.  I still think our future franchise QB is not on the team. He was my 2nd favorite prospect behind Tua, hopefully he develops. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know why posters think the know enough about rookies in a month.    A month that comes after a bizarre offseason.

 

But people have already jumped to conclusions, because that’s what fans like to do....  it’s like predicting the outcome of a marathon based on the first mile....   crazy. 

 

I don't think anyone , for sure not me , has come to any "conclusions." However , if I were a Packer fan , I would not like to be reading that Love is not showing much "arm talent" in camp. That's how the evaluation reads to me. It's like back in 2013 with Werner. He showed no explosion and was being stymied in practice by some journeyman right tackle. I thought "ugh" to myself.  It's fine if a player has the attributes and needs to refine them. But if those Love reports are accurate , IMO, it sounds like he doesn't throw the ball like a first round pick would be expected to . JMO...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

I don't think anyone , for sure not me , has come to any "conclusions." However , if I were a Packer fan , I would not like to be reading that Love is not showing much "arm talent" in camp. That's how the evaluation reads to me. It's like back in 2013 with Werner. He showed no explosion and was being stymied in practice by some journeyman right tackle. I thought "ugh" to myself.  It's fine if a player has the attributes and needs to refine them. But if those Love reports are accurate , IMO, it sounds like he doesn't throw the ball like a first round pick would be expected to . JMO...

It’s one thing to be disappointed early...   it’s another to jump to conclusions.   I know you haven’t, but reading some of the other posts, it seems some already have.   Part of the nature of fandom. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard said, "There was no effort to try to get into the first round. We were comfortable with where we were at. Matter of fact, I was eating popcorn, just hanging out, from about Pick 19 to 32."

https://www.colts.com/news/jonathan-taylor-michael-pittman-jr-julian-blackmon-chris-ballard-day-2-nfl-draft

 

So yea, if what Ballard says is true, then Ballard was eating popcorn even when Love was on the board.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s one thing to be disappointed early...   it’s another to jump to conclusions.   I know you haven’t, but reading some of the other posts, it seems some already have.   Part of the nature of fandom. 

I’m one of those totally jumping to conclusions.  Jumped a long time ago.  I think he will be a bust and not see a 2nd contract from the packers thats anymore than a prove it deal. I’ve only watched about 2-3hrs of film on him but that’s bc I didn’t like what I saw and stopped.  I’m nobody tho so could easily be 100% wrong lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Ballard said, "There was no effort to try to get into the first round. We were comfortable with where we were at. Matter of fact, I was eating popcorn, just hanging out, from about Pick 19 to 32."

https://www.colts.com/news/jonathan-taylor-michael-pittman-jr-julian-blackmon-chris-ballard-day-2-nfl-draft

 

So yea, if what Ballard says is true, then Ballard was eating popcorn even when Love was on the board.

You beat me to it. Was about to post this. It's also on the Colts youtube website when they interview him. Another clue is on "with the next pick" where Ballard asks his scouts the day before the draft happens "who do we like better, Taylor or Pittman?" So they had Taylor and Pittman in their heads to choose before day 1, before Love got chosen. They had no interest in Love.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You beat me to it. Was about to post this. It's also on the Colts youtube website when they interview him. Another clue is on "with the next pick" where Ballard asks his scouts the day before the draft happens "who do we like better, Taylor or Pittman?" So they had Taylor and Pittman in their heads to choose before day 1, before Love got chosen. They had no interest in Love.

 

It was Rapoport that reported the Colts were trying o move up and draft Love. It no doubt was proved to be false.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know why posters think the know enough about rookies in a month.    A month that comes after a bizarre offseason.

 

But people have already jumped to conclusions, because that’s what fans like to do....  it’s like predicting the outcome of a marathon based on the first mile....   crazy. 

 

Didn't Aaron Rodgers have one of the worst training camps in history in his rookie year?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't want Love, so I'm glad we didn't trade up for him, but I have a feeling we either tried, or spread false rumors that we were going to try. The Packers leapfrogged the Seahawks and Ravens to take him, and he wasn't going there...And GM's seem to have a lot more information than we ever know about other team's targets.  It's the same reason we traded up 3 spots for Taylor (though that one is more cut and dry because there was a decent chance Jax was gonna take him).  And we were the only team anywhere near that range that made sense to fear.  Again, whether it was true or not, I'd bet there was information floating around that we did in fact covet him

 

But it's also worth noting that if we did covet him, we would have traded up for him even if we thought he was going to drop to 34 because that 5th year option is more valuable on a QB than whatever asset we would have to give up

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's got time to learn. In the meantime, he's going to have to adjust to the speed of the NFL. We take that for granted as fans, but from every rookie it's one of the first things they notice is how much faster everything, and I mean everything, is. 

 

He's no longer at Utah St. So now he's going to be facing the top players of the nation. Yes, even those 3rd stringers are high-level athletes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

 

Didn't Aaron Rodgers have one of the worst training camps in history in his rookie year?

I don’t remember...   that was roughly 15 years ago.   And Rodgers didn’t play his first three years with the Packers as Favre couldn’t decide if he was retiring or not.   So Rodgers got buried behind a HoFer.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dw49 said:

 

It was Rapoport that reported the Colts were trying o move up and draft Love. It no doubt was proved to be false.

 

I don't disagree with this. But it's pretty obvious the Colts were interested in Love. Was there enough interest to take him at some point in the first two rounds? I don't think we'll ever have a satisfactory answer to that. But they showed plenty of interest, for months, which makes it hard to believe that they didn't like him.

 

Add to that their need for a young QB, then assumptions get made.


Rapoport has made "reports" with less information than that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dw49 said:


"Nobody expected him to take the world by storm in his first nine practices, but every throw he makes seems like a touch pass and he’s had some accuracy issues early on." 

There was a huge Love love fest on this forum near the end of last season.  When I saw the first highlight tape back then, the bolded is also what I saw.  While he was very good at dropping the ball over the defender and into the receivers hands, that ball trajectory dominated the highlight tape.  I didn't see the arm strength or zip that others saw, and my suspicions were confirmed when he threw only 1 to 1.5 mph better than Jake Fromm, who got skewered on this forum for having a weak arm (which he does not).  

 

Love could be a great QB, but I didn't see the arm talent that was being raved about.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There was a huge Love love fest on this forum near the end of last season.  When I saw the first highlight tape back then, the bolded is also what I saw.  While he was very good at dropping the ball over the defender and into the receivers hands, that ball trajectory dominated the highlight tape.  I didn't see the arm strength or zip that others saw, and my suspicions were confirmed when he threw only 1 to 1.5 mph better than Jake Fromm, who got skewered on this forum for having a weak arm (which he does not).  

 

Love could be a great QB, but I didn't see the arm talent that was being raved about.

 

When did he throw slower than Fromm? In some drill at the Combine?

 

From tape analysis...Love has very strong zip...the best in this past draft. Here is a chart of QBs using video frame analysis:

 

image.thumb.png.d3892d0da8b268743ba932604c6a598b.png

 

Source: https://medium.com/@thetim_dix/nfl-draft-how-strong-is-joe-burrows-arm-b69abd897399#:~:text=all their problems.-,TL%3BDR,throws the other QBs cannot.

 

If he can reduce his release, and more importantly, his trigger time...he is going to be a very good NFL QB.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

When did he throw slower than Fromm? In some drill at the Combine?

 

From tape analysis...Love has very strong zip...the best in this past draft. Here is a chart of QBs using video frame analysis:

 

image.thumb.png.d3892d0da8b268743ba932604c6a598b.png

 

Source: https://medium.com/@thetim_dix/nfl-draft-how-strong-is-joe-burrows-arm-b69abd897399#:~:text=all their problems.-,TL%3BDR,throws the other QBs cannot.

 

If he can reduce his release, and more importantly, his trigger time...he is going to be a very good NFL QB.

 

Why would digital video frame analysis be a better measure than actual throws?  Is this the kind of remote science based junk bad NFL teams use to make decisions?

 

At the combine, he was measured at 1 to 1.5mph better, not worse, than Fromm.  Actual throws.  Not measurements based on video analysis.  Both Love and Fromm were mid pack of all of the QBs who threw at the combines over the past few years.

 

Seemingly corroborated by what's actually happening in GB training camp.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was never on the Love bandwagon.  I seen a bit of Brissett in him.   Releasing the ball too late and trying to make up for it with a hard thrown ball.   I'm not an expert though and could very well be off the mark.  

I liked Eason better and was thrilled to get Pittman, Taylor and Blackman before having to take Eason.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I was never on the Love bandwagon.  I seen a bit of Brissett in him.   Releasing the ball too late and trying to make up for it with a hard thrown ball.   I'm not an expert though and could very well be off the mark.  

I liked Eason better and was thrilled to get Pittman, Taylor and Blackman before having to take Eason.   

Personally, I compared Love to Wentz, and thought that his combination of mobility and short ball accuracy and touch would be a good fit for Reich's offense.  (Another member pointed out that Love lacked the arm that Wentz has).  OTOH, I did not think that Love was a fireballer with accuracy who would be a bomber or a guy throwing a lot of deep outs....needing strong arm, timing, and accuracy.  All three qualities are the typical 1st round NFL arm talent, IMO, and Love's arm lacked something to be as highly rated as people thought he was.

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Myles said:

I was never on the Love bandwagon.  I seen a bit of Brissett in him.   Releasing the ball too late and trying to make up for it with a hard thrown ball.   I'm not an expert though and could very well be off the mark.  

I liked Eason better and was thrilled to get Pittman, Taylor and Blackman before having to take Eason.   

I prefer to describe it as "the Love Boat."  But, I realize that is dating myself as you youngsters don't get the reference.  :lecture:

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I prefer to describe it as "the Love Boat."  But, I realize that is dating myself as you youngsters don't get the reference.  :lecture:

 

I watched that show a bunch when I was young.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Why would digital video frame analysis be a better measure than actual throws?  Is this the kind of remote science based junk bad NFL teams use to make decisions?

 

At the combine, he was measured at 1 to 1.5mph better, not worse, than Fromm.  Actual throws.  Not measurements based on video analysis.  Both Love and Fromm were mid pack of all of the QBs who threw at the combines over the past few years.

 

Seemingly corroborated by what's actually happening in GB training camp.

 

This is tape-based analysis...from actual game throws. I don't know if teams use frame counting analysis...but they definitely use tape to scout players...not necessarily Combine drills. 

 

And the Combine drill numbers I found...had them equal throwing to one side and Love 1 MPH ahead to the other side.

 

I don't know what's happening in GB's training camp...but it's not because he doesn't have a strong arm.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Superman said:

 

I don't disagree with this. But it's pretty obvious the Colts were interested in Love. Was there enough interest to take him at some point in the first two rounds? I don't think we'll ever have a satisfactory answer to that. But they showed plenty of interest, for months, which makes it hard to believe that they didn't like him.

 

Add to that their need for a young QB, then assumptions get made.


Rapoport has made "reports" with less information than that.

 

I said it was false as Ballard seems to never get caught making a false statement. Rapoport said GB "heard"  the Colts were trying to move up to take Love. I don't doubt the Colts had interest but IMO , they had NO INTENTIONS of moving up. Also they did do a lot of scouting but we , as you said , don't even know if they like him with pick 2.2. If you go by sound bites from our war room , it was a choice between Pittman and Taylor.Maybe Love had already been picked when that conversation was recorded ? Could be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love is probably struggling because he has a new OC, new HC and 10 out 11 players on the offense are new to him.  Oh wait, that was the reason he struggled in college.

 

@Superman, I agree the Colts spent time  months before the draft scouting him, but I personally think they came away figuring he was not worth a 1st round pick.  I think if Love had been there in the 4th round they have have picked him over Eason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dw49 said:

 

I said it was false as Ballard seems to never get caught making a false statement. Rapoport said GB "heard"  the Colts were trying to move up to take Love. I don't doubt the Colts had interest but IMO , they had NO INTENTIONS of moving up. Also they did do a lot of scouting but we , as you said , don't even know if they like him with pick 2.2. If you go by sound bites from our war room , it was a choice between Pittman and Taylor.Maybe Love had already been picked when that conversation was recorded ? Could be.

 

Yeah, we don't have enough context on that conversation.

 

I do agree that when Ballard says they weren't going to trade up, that he's telling the truth. But it seems other teams were concerned about a team trading up for Love, maybe the Colts. That might be why the Packers came up for him. So I don't know if the smoke that Rapoport reported was fake or not. It might have been.

 

53 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Love is probably struggling because he has a new OC, new HC and 10 out 11 players on the offense are new to him.  Oh wait, that was the reason he struggled in college.

 

@Superman, I agree the Colts spent time  months before the draft scouting him, but I personally think they came away figuring he was not worth a 1st round pick.  I think if Love had been there in the 4th round they have have picked him over Eason.

 

Whether they thought he was worth a first or not, they obviously weren't interested in trading up for him. Once they traded out of #13, it should have been obvious that they weren't going to draft a QB early. If they wanted a QB on Day 1, they wouldn't have traded that pick so early.

 

If Love had lasted to the second round, don't know what the Colts do. Maybe they had a 25-30ish grade on him, and if he falls to them in the second, maybe they feel compelled to make the pick. But they were obviously happy to take Pittman and Taylor, so it doesn't seem like they were holding their breath waiting for Love to drop.

 

But I don't think it matters that he's struggling in camp. Not at this point. People had their minds made up about Daniel Jones this time last year. And countless other examples. It's too early to make any kind of determination about Love right now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Covet? I highly doubt it. Fans here sure did.

 

Consider? Absolutely. 

 

I highly doubt it too. I was just trying to word it so it wouldn't get moved to another forum. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Yes, LOL !! I always remember it as "Ninety percent of the game is half mental." though. As my wife says - 'same thing, only different'.   Josh McDaniels is a great OC (really not sure about HC or as a person of integrity), but I'd much rather have Reich as HC (or even OC) over him. Colts were lucky to land him when JD backed out. I love the back story to the Frank Reich hire as well.   ********** "When seven NFL jobs came open by the end of Black Monday, the day after the 2017 regular season ended, Frank Reich called his agent with specific instructions. Leave me alone. “Going dark,” is the way Reich described it." Unlike McDaniels, unlike Matt Patricia of the Patriots, unlike Pat Shurmur of the Vikings – unlike even another Eagles assistant, quarterback coach John DeFilippo – Reich told his agent- “I'm focused on the task at hand,” he said. “That’s to help our team win playoff games and the Super Bowl. That meant no phone calls, no texts. Whether there was any activity or not (from interested teams calling), I was dark.” ***********   When McDaniels backed out of the job here in Indianapolis and Reich had won just his Super Bowl Ring, this is what Reich wanted his agent to do: "Nothing. Don’t call the Colts. Don’t text them. Don’t even butt-dial them (LOL)." But he really hoped the Colts would call him.   Meanwhile, Bill Polian, who has very close ties to both Irsay and Reich, heard of the JD news. He called up Jim Irsay. He said the answer to his dilemma is right there in front of him over in Philadelphia. Irsay then asked Polian to call Chris Ballard. Despite not even being on Ballard’s original top list of coaching candidates, Reich blew him away in a 10 hour interview. Once the other scheduled interviews with Dan Campbell and Leslie Frazier had wrapped up, the Colts knew. Frank Reich was their guy.   “I thought after I got done interviewing him, ‘My lord, what was I thinking?’” {not considering him in the first place} Ballard later admitted. Even Irsay acknowledged the Colts initially whiffed on not looking into Reich. “The more I think, ‘Jim, How come you are so stupid? How could you not have seen the clarity in this sooner.”   So even as the ex Colts GM, Bill Polian was still instrumental in the Colts/Reich head coach hiring. And I'm pleased with it.        
    • I see what you are saying.  If the Packers could get the 15th pick in the draft the packers would be crazy not to do it.    The Pats would be crazy to give up the 15th pick in the draft for Love.   
    • Honestly this might be my last draft because it fell pretty perfect, unless sometime of pre-draft trade happens. I also only went to 165 because I really don't know players after that.   Big priority for me was to trade down and I wanted to gain capital for next year for two reasons: 1. This draft has the least information in awhile about players 2. We are gonna lose a 1st or 2nd rounder next year and I wanted to supplement it by adding another 2nd round pick. I have seen many different ways to value future picks when doing the value, going off the CBS method of valuing them at the 32 pick of that round Bengals get 222 points (They drafted Kwity Paye after getting Sewell earlier) and Colts get 215 points.   So now to the picks: 38(From Bengals): Samuel Cosmi T: Happy with the pick was hoping he or Teven Jenkins would fall to me and I got one of them making the trade worth it to me. 54: Carlos Basham Jr.: Wasn't expecting him to fall to me, honestly I was more hoping for Payton Turner, but when I saw him sitting there it was a easy pick for me, fills the need at RE and the role of Autry of a DE that can play outside on early downs then jump inside for 3rd/passing downs. 127: Amari Rodgers: Honestly this was a tough pick, it was against him or Shaka Toney and I could of gone with either but I thought it might of been to early for Toney so decided to risk it and see if he fell to the next round. 165: James Wiggins: I wanted to add depth to the Safety position and Wiggins is a versatile player that fits in a split zone system, he has some injury history but Ballard has shown he is willing to take a risk on a Safety with past injury history (Blackmon, Hooker)   Also add in an extra 2nd in 2022   Overall I'm happy with it
    • Sam Cosmi reminds me of the conversation people were having about Kolton Miller a few years ago. Super toolsy but also raw. He may not be a top 20 lock like some have suggested. He can very well be a 1st round pick, but like Miller it will take a team falling in love with the upside.
    • That's the thing... why would an insane athlete with tons of starts in top program in college even be there at 21 for us to take if he was such a no brainer pick and had no warts?! At that spot you are juggling and weighing different sets of positives and negatives for each prospect and in some cases the negatives are almost as strong as the positives. I like Cosmi and I would be happy if we picked him to be our LT of the future, but we should be doing it with the expectation and knowledge that he has a ton of work to do to get to a point where he will be even solid starter, let alone a great one. For example... I am not a huge fan of Sam Tevi or Davenport... but I would not be shocked if one of them beat him for the starting spot year 1(if he was our pick)
  • Members

    • braveheartcolt

      braveheartcolt 1,394

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ericAmerica

      ericAmerica 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Stephen

      Stephen 1,875

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IPS Temp Admin

      IPS Temp Admin 0

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • FRW

      FRW 125

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ClaytonColt

      ClaytonColt 291

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Swan Ronson

      Swan Ronson 46

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Onthefence

      Onthefence 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Barry Sears

      Barry Sears 1,324

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Colts1324

      Colts1324 446

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...