Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blackmon ahead of schedule?

CR91

He may be ahead of schedule, but doubt they rush him back in from a playing perspective. Trusting the healing, is as important as the healing itself. Also, in addition to the huge jump in competition, he's also moving from a heavy man system to a C2 zone. That's a lot to ask.

Absolutely wonderful news considering Tell and Milligan opted out and we are thin at S. I can't wait to see him play this year and see if he's worth a 3rd round pick. I was hesitant on him when we drafted him, but I'm really excited to see what we have in him now that he's ahead of schedule in his recovery. Ballard may of gotten a steal here.

27 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Absolutely wonderful news considering Tell and Milligan opted out and we are thin at S. I can't wait to see him play this year and see if he's worth a 3rd round pick. I was hesitant on him when we drafted him, but I'm really excited to see what we have in him now that he's ahead of schedule in his recovery. Ballard may of gotten a steal here.

I think he was actually being graded as a early second round pick before he got hurt. Who knows, with a good combine and pro day, he might have gone late first.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I think he was actually being graded as a early second round pick before he got hurt. Who knows, with a good combine and pro day, he might have gone late first.

I’ve not read that anywhere..   about JB being a 2nd round grade?   Do you have any links to share?   Would love to see what you might have...    thnx!

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I heard plenty of people and mock drafts say he was around a 4th-5th rounder at the time. Combine that with the ACL tear and that's why I wasn't too excited about this pick. The highlights got me more excited, but he was definitely projected lower from where I was looking. Even a Bears podcast one of my friends listened to predicted they would get Julian Blackmon in the 6th round a week before draft day.

Never heard him going early second/late first. Curious where you saw that.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve not read that anywhere..   about JB being a 2nd round grade?   Do you have any links to share?   Would love to see what you might have...    thnx!

I think Ballard mentioned it.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I heard plenty of people and mock drafts say he was around a 4th-5th rounder at the time. Combine that with the ACL tear and that's why I wasn't too excited about this pick. The highlights got me more excited, but he was definitely projected lower from where I was looking. Even a Bears podcast one of my friends listen to predicted they would get Julian Blackmon in the 6th round a week before draft day.

Never heard him going early second/late first. Curious where you saw that.

I think Ballard mentioned it in one of his interviews.

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He was graded by most services as 4th to 5th round. No way he was going 1st, even if he hadn't got injured and had a good combine. No Ss at all were taken in the 1st, and he clearly was not going before 3 or 4 of the top guys. He's seen as a wildcard by a lot due to his late position switch, college scheme, and struggles in a couple areas. He certainly could prove to be surprise bargain, but many were surprised he went as early as he did.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Thanks. I know Ballard does a post-draft interview that's on youtube, I'll try to find that and see if he says it there. Otherwise, if he did say that, then I believe him and it makes me feel good about the pick, especially since we traded down from 75 to 87 and acquired our 5th back from the Taylor trade up and a higher 6th round pick.

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

Here's an article from colts.com where Ballard says, 

"Really, it came more down to I didn't want to lose him. I didn't want to lose him behind us. We thought there was a chance he would be there in the third. We were worried that he wouldn't be there in the fourth," Colts general manager Chris Ballard said about the Blackmon pick. "He's got the ACL injury, we know that he won't be ready probably until late August, early September, which means that he might not even really help us until October.

"Look, he is a rangy, fast athletic safety that can play corner and he can play in the nickel. He has a lot of value in our defense and can play a bunch of multiple spots," Ballard continued. "This is his first year playing safety and we liked him at corner too so we feel lucky to get him. He is a talented young man."

https://www.colts.com/news/julian-blackmon-utah-safety-cornerback-football-iq-versatility

5 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

"Really, it came more down to I didn't want to lose him. I didn't want to lose him behind us. We thought there was a chance he would be there in the third. We were worried that he wouldn't be there in the fourth," Colts general manager Chris Ballard said about the Blackmon pick. "He's got the ACL injury, we know that he won't be ready probably until late August, early September, which means that he might not even really help us until October.

"Look, he is a rangy, fast athletic safety that can play corner and he can play in the nickel. He has a lot of value in our defense and can play a bunch of multiple spots," Ballard continued. "This is his first year playing safety and we liked him at corner too so we feel lucky to get him. He is a talented young man."

https://www.colts.com/news/julian-blackmon-utah-safety-cornerback-football-iq-versatility

I remember this. It's another reason I see him ending up at SS, NB, or Dime. I know there's been a bunch of FS talk, but my gut says SS. Certainly could be wrong, but all the film I saw showed a boss hitter and stud close to the LOS, but struggles roaming and deep.

10 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Yeah, he said this in his day 2 post-draft interview when someone asked him about Blackmon. I'm glad he was able to trade down and still get Blackmon despite worrying about him getting taken. That's good instinct, knowing how far you can trade down and when to take your player at the right point.

He may of been gone before the 4th round for all we know.

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

How can I listen to this?

You're probably out of luck if you don't have Sirius. Marvez does do podcasts and youtubes as well, but might be hard to find.

Here's the story though on SB.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/8/22/21396937/colts-gm-chris-ballard-hopes-to-activate-rookie-safety-julian-blackmon-in-2-3-weeks

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

We're pretty thin at safety though. We only just signed Wilson last week

I agree we're thin, I just don't want him to be tossed into the deep end early. There's obviously the injury, and the trust-the-healing aspects.. But he's also pretty new to the positions, and he's coming from a heavy man scheme going to what has been a soft C2. I just don't want to crush the kid as I think he has long term potential.

Personally, I'd see if Geathers was open to a team friendly short term contract as he's still available. If he's still free come cut down day, I'd absolutely sign him to our PS.

On 8/21/2020 at 6:47 PM, CR91 said:

The part if the tweet where it says the injury was suffered in December us a little misleading.

It technically WAS in December.  I believe the game was Dec. 31.   So....    the surgery was early to mid January.    That said it certainly looks like the kid is way ahead of schedule.   We may get to play him sooner than I ever imagined.  Personally,  I’m very, very conservative about such things.   I’d take this rehab and recovery as slow as can be. 

But maybe that’s just me....

23 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He may be ahead of schedule, but doubt they rush him back in from a playing perspective. Trusting the healing, is as important as the healing itself. Also, in addition to the huge jump in competition, he's also moving from a heavy man system to a C2 zone. That's a lot to ask.

I have to disagree....a man can trust a broken ankle all he wants....it's still a broken ankle ... Lol

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

We're pretty thin at safety though. We only just signed Wilson last week

I understand that but there's no need to take a big risk so soon......earl thomas might get kicked out of baltimore so that might be an option ballard looks into if interested 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The part if the tweet where it says the injury was suffered in December us a little misleading.

It technically WAS in December.  I believe the game was Dec. 31.   So....    the surgery was early to mid January.    That said it certainly looks like the kid is way ahead of schedule.   We may get to play him sooner than I ever imagined.  Personally,  I’m very, very conservative about such things.   I’d take this rehab and recovery as slow as can be. 

It'll still be nine months recovery time at the start of the season. If Ballard clears him, then I trust he'll be ok. Some people heal faster than others, and Blackmon is 21, so that's no coincidence because of his age IMO.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The opposite is true. He got hurt in the first week of December, the PAC 12 championship game

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I remember this. It's another reason I see him ending up at SS, NB, or Dime. I know there's been a bunch of FS talk, but my gut says SS. Certainly could be wrong, but all the film I saw showed a boss hitter and stud close to the LOS, but struggles roaming and deep.

Ballard's still calling him a FS. In his interview with SeriusXM he said, 

"Blackmon is getting close — the free safety we took from Utah. And we're not exactly sure, but we're hoping within the next two or three weeks we can get him back off the PUP and ready to go," Ballard said. "He looks great. We're being probably a little more cautious, 'cause I wanna make sure, because he's a very talented centerfielder that we think can really help us when he gets going."

14 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I understand that but there's no need to take a big risk so soon......earl thomas might get kicked out of baltimore so that might be an option ballard looks into if interested 

Doubt it. Thomas wants to be a cowboy

3 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

"Blackmon is getting close — the free safety we took from Utah. And we're not exactly sure, but we're hoping within the next two or three weeks we can get him back off the PUP and ready to go," Ballard said. "He looks great. We're being probably a little more cautious, 'cause I wanna make sure, because he's a very talented centerfielder that we think can really help us when he gets going."

Well, he was a FS at Utah so not shocking that's what he's called right now. And CB can call him whatever he wants. Until he's out there competing, he's not locked into anything. I think what will matter is what Flus begins calling him after he's back in the mix for several weeks.

The comment about him being a very talented center-fielder is IMO coach speak. I've watched a decent amount of film on him. First, Utah runs a heavy man D, and it's simply a huge departure to our scheme. Second, he struggled when playing deep and roaming. He played very well closer to the LOS though.

A little backstory - Utah was hurting for Ss in 2019 as it had to replace two starters from 2018. That's one reason they converted Blackmon. And Burgess was staying at SS. They didn't have a lot of other options for FS. Given that Utah is heavy scheme, and the PAC is pretty weak, there's also a lot of question about how that will translate. If you looked at their stats when they played decent passing teams, it wasn't a pretty picture at times. When Slovis (USC) got knocked out early in the game, Fink came in and torched them for 350+. They did play pretty decent vs WSU. 

On 8/22/2020 at 11:24 AM, EastStreet said:

Ballard frequently says he likes to have versatile guys (i.e., who can play outside CB, NB and S).  I know Q. Wilson didn't work out here, but it will be interesting to see what'll happen next year (assuming no other safeties get hurt, I see Blackmon playing a limited role, at least the first half of the season, this year).  Ballard has said a thing he likes about Carrie is he can play multiple spots, same with Blackmon and same with Tell.  I'll be interested to see what happens when we have 3-4 guys in the backfield who can alternate positions.

On 8/22/2020 at 8:49 PM, EastStreet said:

I agree we're thin, I just don't want him to be tossed into the deep end early. There's obviously the injury, and the trust-the-healing aspects.. But he's also pretty new to the positions, and he's coming from a heavy man scheme going to what has been a soft C2. I just don't want to crush the kid as I think he has long term potential.

Personally, I'd see if Geathers was open to a team friendly short term contract as he's still available. If he's still free come cut down day, I'd absolutely sign him to our PS.

I think Ballard was thinking long term when he took Blackmon based on a few interviews where he says he doesn't expect any production until probably at least sometime in October.  

I am with you on Geathers, and frankly, was kind of shocked we haven't already offered him something.  Being that he knows this system and Ballard seems to really like him, I was expecting him to come in when Milligan went down.  I have to wonder if Geathers has a health issue (I know he had his neck in the past) which is preventing him from being signed.  He wasn't great for us, but he was solid and seems like at least some team would give him a shot, so it seems odd he's still a FA.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:17 AM, Thunderbolt said:

No need to rush the man, may re injure himself and aggravate the injury.  Usually takes a year to heal an injury like this , so we'll just have to make sure the man is fully healed.

A lot of players seem like it takes almost 18 months, with about a year to heal and then a while of using it in action to get back to full functionality/strength.

On 8/23/2020 at 10:07 AM, Dogg63 said:

Interesting quote.  Hooker, when drafted, was being talked about as a centerfielder as well.  I expect Hooker to have a bounce back year this year (not that he was terrible last year, but his play did seem to drop off over the course of the season and Ballard addressed the media about it).  Personally, I think a S duo of Hooker and Blackmon has more potential than one with  Willis (I like Willis, just think he's got limited athletic ability).  In some senses, I wonder if Blackmon was drafted specifically to replace Hooker (for example, why didn't Ballard extend him on rookie contract?) and in others I wonder if the Blackmon pick will motivate Hooker who has said he wants to be here after this season.

4 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Ballard frequently says he likes to have versatile guys (i.e., who can play outside CB, NB and S).  I know Q. Wilson didn't work out here, but it will be interesting to see what'll happen next year (assuming no other safeties get hurt, I see Blackmon playing a limited role, at least the first half of the season, this year).  Ballard has said a thing he likes about Carrie is he can play multiple spots, same with Blackmon and same with Tell.  I'll be interested to see what happens when we have 3-4 guys in the backfield who can alternate positions.

I think Ballard was thinking long term when he took Blackmon based on a few interviews where he says he doesn't expect any production until probably at least sometime in October.  

I am with you on Geathers, and frankly, was kind of shocked we haven't already offered him something.  Being that he knows this system and Ballard seems to really like him, I was expecting him to come in when Milligan went down.  I have to wonder if Geathers has a health issue (I know he had his neck in the past) which is preventing him from being signed.  He wasn't great for us, but he was solid and seems like at least some team would give him a shot, so it seems odd he's still a FA.

A lot of players seem like it takes almost 18 months, with about a year to heal and then a while of using it in action to get back to full functionality/strength.

Interesting quote.  Hooker, when drafted, was being talked about as a centerfielder as well.  I expect Hooker to have a bounce back year this year (not that he was terrible last year, but his play did seem to drop off over the course of the season and Ballard addressed the media about it).  Personally, I think a S duo of Hooker and Blackmon has more potential than one with  Willis (I like Willis, just think he's got limited athletic ability).  In some senses, I wonder if Blackmon was drafted specifically to replace Hooker (for example, why didn't Ballard extend him on rookie contract?) and in others I wonder if the Blackmon pick will motivate Hooker who has said he wants to be here after this season.

Interesting thought there.....Hooker and Blackmon deep with Willis playing the box on third downs sounds sweet to me. Plus we have Odum who is extremely versatile himself.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Interesting thought there.....Hooker and Blackmon deep with Willis playing the box on third downs sounds sweet to me. Plus we have Odum who is extremely versatile himself.

Willis seems more like Geathers to me.. I think Geathers was meant to play in the box, but had injury issues... but yea, I think Hooker and Blackmon with Willis playing the role Geathers was meant to would be sweet.  I like Ballard because he is always looking a few years out while dealing with immediate issues.  I am sure that is true of the majority of GMs in the league - Ballard just seems to be a step ahead or at least up there with the rest of them.  Grigs I think was way below that curve of balancing the need to develop a dynasty and balance out how to win tomorrow.

On 8/25/2020 at 5:16 PM, CurBeatElite said:

My friends that are Browns fans told me that Carrie is a very solid backup, so very happy in that aspect. They also said we'd likely be in trouble if he plays a large roll outside of NB depth. I'm great with versatility when it comes to depth, but I want the starters to be very clear from a position standpoint. I think GMs and coaches sometimes place to much importance on versatility, and end up with a bunch of average guys who are flexible, but not a lot of pure play makers. 

I also like Tell, but I also am concerned with his toughness. I follow USC pretty close (recruiting and play) and Tell was a guy who was inconsistent and also wasn't very physical. Definitely has some talent though. I was impressed with the some of his play at CB last year after moving from S. Thought he'd be solid depth or even emerge as CB2. I think opting out could hurt his growth significantly. 

I think expecting a lot of production this year period is pretty aggressive regardless. Just really no need to press him into significant action unless there is injury. I absolutely want him to get snaps as early as possible for the pure experience, I just hope we're not in a position where we have to rely on him. I just like the kid's potential, and I don't want him rushed back from injury, and also know it's going to be a huge change in scheme and level of competition. 

Yup, Geathers isn't a superstar, but he's solid depth who knows the system. He was voted a captain too. I'd keep an eye on both him and Sheard. I don't think Sheard is a superstar either, but he another guy that is solid depth, knows the scheme, and is a class act.

Archived