Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

08/19/2020 Wednesday Colts Practice - Tyquan Lewis continues his good training camp

stitches

4 minutes ago, twfish said:

Sounds like Pittman had a really slow start and has had some issues which is a little discouraging but glad to hear hes working to get better

I was very worried when I read he was 0-3 vs Xavier Rhodes who has been getting torched by pretty much every WR over the last 2 years... but I guess it's better to think Rhodes is returning to his previous form... 

Pittman reportedly had a good practice yesterday... 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I was very worried when I read he was 0-3 vs Xavier Rhodes who has been getting torched by pretty much every WR over the last 2 years... but I guess it's better to think Rhodes is returning to his previous form... 

We have to keep in mind that Pittman is a rookie. He will have his good and bad days till he learns to play with the big boys so to say. Just the speed of the pro defenders is something he is not used to yet. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Some Frank Reich quotes:

^yuck :puke:

I guess if it was QB sneak... although... it loses some of its efficiency when you cannot run to the ball quickly and snap it. 

Why the slight? JB is our insurance policy so how about a little positive thoughts? 

Why turn this into a bash JB thread at this time when it is totally unnecessary? 

Think positive.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Why the slight? JB is our insurance policy so how about a little positive thoughts? 

Why turn this into a bash JB thread at this time when it is totally unnecessary? 

Think positive.

I have no problem of JB as our insurance policy and backup. I have a problem with gimmicks that involve him as a second QB on the field. If Rivers is healthy, there is no need for JB to be on the field. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Here's some info on workouts that we've had with FA:

Seems like we are looking at TEs hard. 

I still have a Ben Koyack rookie auto #/5 that I pulled a while back when I bought football packs more. So for that reason, I hope we sign him and he becomes our no1 TE! :) :rock:

31 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Think positive.

Think it's less bashing the backup, and more hoping there's no real reason to bring him in for plays....

Which brings to mind the question, short of a QB sneak.... What type of play WOULD you prefer they bring JB in for?

Not like he's an amazing athlete ... You aren't running rpo when he's in.... So exactly what do you bring him in to shock the defense with?  Not to mention he's so limited you telegraph what you're doing by bringing him in during a non QB injury scenario....

The guy is a good backup.... No bashing here, but I don't know what you'd want him doing over the starter all things equal?

39 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Not like he's an amazing athlete ... You aren't running rpo when he's in.... So exactly what do you bring him in to shock the defense with?  Not to mention he's so limited you telegraph what you're doing by bringing him in during a non QB injury scenario....

I disagree on him not being an amazing athlete. 

As always, thanks @stitches

Some thoughts on reports

Hooker - Given his hip and knew issues history, it's beautiful to hear his health is peaking. I can see a huge bounce back for him is he can remain injury free. An improved pass rush will obviously help, as will the chip on his shoulder from not being picked up for the 5th.

Campbell - I don't like hearing about the muffs, but frankly I don't want him returning kicks at all. He's too injury prone, and I'd prefer he stay fully focused on WR and not risking big hits as a returner. If he stays healthy for a few years, then maybe revisit returns, but not now. 

Pittman - Not concerned at all. It's a big adjustment coming from USC's scheme, and I'm sure his route tree is expanding. He's likely still in the "thinking" mode, but will be just fine when things slow down for him. As far as timing is concerned, big-X is one of the harder WR positions to accomplish chemistry. Back shoulders and comebacks take skill. 

Lewis and AQM - Love hearing good things about these guys. I'd love to know who they are going up against though. 1 on 1s aren't the best gauge, but if either are looking good against Q I'd love to hear it. It would be awesome if one of those two stepped up this year. I've always been intrigued by AQM, and admittedly always concerned about the tweener qualities of Lewis.

Rhodes - I really, really, hope he's back to form. He could be the guy to take our DBs over the top if he's truly back. If his health was the issue, and he's over those issues, we may have gotten a bargain. If he doesn't return to form, we could be in a bind at CB.

RBs - LOVE hearing about all the RB catches. It's a dimension we missed last year. Given Rivers timing ability, I could see any of the RBs eating up an opposing D. With the speed of Hines and Taylor, our RB YAC could be crazy. Not saying I want Rivers throwing to the RB every down, but unlike last year, it's great to know we have a QB capable exploiting that area.

TE - Little concerning, but not really worried. If MAC doesn't step up, then I'll start to worry. This is his make or break season IMO. Still a bit surprised we didn't take a TE in the middle rounds. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

He's had a lot of health issues. Hoping he's healthy and fresh like Hooker seems to be.

3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Think it's less bashing the backup, and more hoping there's no real reason to bring him in for plays....

Which brings to mind the question, short of a QB sneak.... What type of play WOULD you prefer they bring JB in for?

The guy is a good backup.... No bashing here, but I don't know what you'd want him doing over the starter all things equal?

This is my thought as well.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I disagree on him not being an amazing athlete. 

He's not a bad athlete, but he's not a Taysom Hill type where there's truly a rushing threat to go along with a potential pass. He's a great backup QB, but his skillset is not one that designing specific packages for him provides an additional wrinkle to your offense.

I agree with the prior sentiment that you stand to lose more than you gain by taking Rivers out and putting Brissett in.

11 minutes ago, Shive said:

This is my thought as well.

He's not a bad athlete, but he's not a Taysom Hill type where there's truly a rushing threat to go along with a potential pass. He's a great backup QB, but his skillset is not one that designing specific packages for him provides an additional wrinkle to your offense.

I agree with the prior sentiment that you stand to lose more than you gain by taking Rivers out and putting Brissett in.

I agree he really doesn't warrant special packages like a lot of "athletic" QB do. I'd be fine with him coming in to sneak the ball on 4th and short, or in certain goal line situations. He's not especially agile, or fast. He is Big Ben like, and is harder to bring down though.

39 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I didn’t like the Tyquan Lewis draft pick at the time and saw nothing in his first two years to change that, but I would love to eat a double dose of crow if he continues his impressive three days of camp. 

Same here. Wasn't a fan in the draft, hasn't seen anything positive in the league from him so far, but hopefully with better health he will make us eat crow.

57 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Brissett is an extremely mediocre athlete. Amazing athletes at the QB position are Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Cam Newton, Josh Allen, Russell Wilson. Brissett isn't even in the discussion of amazing athletes. 

Yeah...he’s a good athlete maybe compared to someone like Rivers...but not actual athletic QBs. Not to start a thread about Kelly...but I would bet he is the most athletic QB on the team by far. If it made sense to design any plays like that...Kelly would actually be the guy. But I hope these play packages aren’t brought up again.

1 hour ago, TheMose said:

Brissett is an extremely mediocre athlete. Amazing athletes at the QB position are Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Cam Newton, Josh Allen, Russell Wilson. Brissett isn't even in the discussion of amazing athletes. 

Calling him extremely mediocre is overlooking the fact he is 6'4"-240 lbs. 

On 8/19/2020 at 11:34 AM, stitches said:

What a waste of a draft pick.  I mean a rookie in his first two days of NFL practice with pads is 0-3 against a long time vet and former Pro Bowl CB?  What was Ballard thinking with that pick?

Yes the above is sarcasm.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Calling him extremely mediocre is overlooking the fact he is 6'4"-240 lbs. 

Yea, Cam Newton is bigger than him and tested higher in every single category.

Brissett is in the 36.9 percentile among QBs for his 40 time. Cam is 96.5%

Brissett's shuttle: 17.1%           Newton:82.1%

Brissett's verticle: 54.7%          Newton:89.9%

Brissett's 3 cone: 51.1%           Newton: 85.9

Brissett is closer to Jameis Winston and Tony Romo athletic wise. Not what I would call an amazing athlete

Archived