Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phillip Rivers

Scott Pennock

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is a great example where sometimes stats doesn't mean anything. Looking at that stat line one would've thought we won by 14 or so points. The W is all that counts and they got it.

Had we put some pressure on Minshew and sacked him a few times we would have won that game even with the offensive miscues.  

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

When is a sack never needed?  They are always needed because they are drive killers.  The problem is when your secondary lets the QB complete 95% of his passes all they are are speed bumps.

That is what I was kinda referring to. Yes we did have 3 sacks but Minshew was entirely too comfortable. Where was the pressure or the batted down passes?  Buckner is suppose to bring those. 

35 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is what I was kinda referring to. Yes we did have 3 sacks but Minshew was entirely too comfortable. Where was the pressure or the batted down passes?  Buckner is suppose to bring those. 

They got some pressure.  I would agree I was disappointed in Buckner’s first game.  I guess I had more of an issue with the secondary than the pass rush but still outside of Kenny Moore and Justin Houston Id have a hard time finding anyone else on the defense who I thought played “well”.

12 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No, the fact is he two INTs and may have thrown a 3rd if not for a penalty.

When the game was discussed by reporters they all agreed he threw three INTs and was lucky to have one called back. If a RB fumbles the ball three times but his team recovers the fact stands out he lost the ball three times.

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

When the game was discussed by reporters they all agreed he threw three INTs and was lucky to have one called back. If a RB fumbles the ball three times but his team recovers the fact stands out he lost the ball three times.

If there is a penalty on the defense the INT doesn't count if a QB throws one. 

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

We had 4 sacks against Jax. Autry had 2, Houston had 1, Willis had 1. Four sacks.

57 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

We had 4 sacks against Jax. Autry had 2, Houston had 1, Willis had 1. Four sacks.

Yeah but Minshew was pretty comfortable and completed 95% of his passes and 3 TDs.  Once again our defense let a questionable QB get a 151.7 QBR. Giving up 10 points in the 4th quarter is unacceptable. 

Where was Buckner? He is paid to get after the QB and knock a pass or 2 down. 

On 9/14/2020 at 2:40 PM, Myles said:

I dint recall people saying he was the savior.  I recall people saying he was an improvement.

Rivers was playing with 52 new teammates for the first time and was 363 yards 89% rating.  I feel that only gets better and better as the season goes on with chemistry.

1 hour ago, CoachKjr said:

Rivers was playing with 52 new teammates for the first time and was 363 yards 89% rating.  I feel that only gets better and better as the season goes on with chemistry.

I think with no real preseason or training camp, this hindered the offense. 

I am hopeful we will be patient and allow the offense to gel.

2 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Vikings will make Rivers beat them with the long pass. They don't think he has the arm and that is how they played him when he was with the Chargers.  If we don't play with a lead, it is going to be a very long day.

Agreed. I think he will need to throw some deep balls and unfortunately there is no Mike Williams in Indy to snag them.  Perhaps Pittman can step up. 

On 9/16/2020 at 10:24 PM, Bolts2Colts said:

Agreed. I think he will need to throw some deep balls and unfortunately there is no Mike Williams in Indy to snag them.  Perhaps Pittman can step up. 

TY let one go through his fingers, a 44 yard TD pass. The defender had no chance at it and it was in TY's bread basket. 

4 minutes ago, Restored said:

Yup and the INT was off a tip that Mo should have caught. Rivers played a pretty good game yesterday.

The positive is TY showed he can separate. The negative is he is having a case of dropsies - at least 2 or 3 in the last 2 games, balls he would normally catch.

In past years, at least based on fantasy football watching, TY would start slow even under Pagano days, and it took normally a 0-2 start before TY would break out in the 3rd game. If he cannot get going against the Jets, I am not sure he is worth being paid top dollar after this contract year of his. He would be lucky to get close to double digit millions. He would be worth $8 mil. tops per year for any new short term contract, with a reduced salary cap on top of it.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The positive is TY showed he can separate. The negative is he is having a case of dropsies - at least 2 or 3 in the last 2 games, balls he would normally catch.

In past years, at least based on fantasy football watching, TY would start slow even under Pagano days, and it took normally a 0-2 start before TY would break out in the 3rd game. If he cannot get going against the Jets, I am not sure he is worth being paid top dollar after this contract year of his. He would be lucky to break double digit millions. 

The TY drops are worrying 

1 minute ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Through 2 games, Brady and Rivers have both thrown 71 passes:

Brady: 44/71 (62.0%) for 456 yards (6.4 YPA), 3 TD, 3 INT, 77.0 rating

Rivers: 55/71 (77.5%) for 577 yards (8.1 YPA), 2 TD, 3 INT, 91.9 rating

Happy Social Media GIF by Yevbel

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

In past years, at least based on fantasy football watching, TY would start slow even under Pagano days, and it took normally a 0-2 start before TY would break out in the 3rd game. If he cannot get going against the Jets, I am not sure he is worth being paid top dollar after this contract year of his. He would be lucky to get close to double digit millions. He would be worth $8 mil. tops per year for any new contract, with a reduced salary cap on top of it.

I agree. I believe the funk he is in more to do with the lack of a true offseason and still try to build rapport with Rivers. It's not like his hands have magically turned to stone either so I'm withholding judgement until after a few more games.

Part of it could be gameplan related too. The Colts (and Rivers) utilized the RB's and TE's more this week so I wouldn't necessarily put it on TY either other than the end zone drop he had.

4 minutes ago, Restored said:

I agree. I believe the funk he is in more to do with the lack of a true offseason and still try to build rapport with Rivers. It's not like his hands have magically turned to stone either so I'm withholding judgement until after a few more games.

Part of it could be gameplan related too. The Colts (and Rivers) utilized the RB's and TE's more this week so I wouldn't necessarily put it on TY either other than the end zone drop he had.

This is not the time to be unreliable 

51 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It makes a difference that Reich had a better game plan yesterday than last week. 

Game plan was to feature Taylor. Our defense help the cause today. Also Special Teams gave the offense great field position. 

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Rivers should’ve had 2 TD’s yesterday. He starting to finally feel comfortable. Glad to see he also didn’t make those forced throws.

Wasn't Cox on the goal line when he botched the catch?   Could have been a 3 TD day.  

Either way, I was pleased with his play.  It's an improvement over JB so that is good.   No way will he hold the 77.5% completion percent, but so far so good. 

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

Wasn't Cox on the goal line when he botched the catch?   Could have been a 3 TD day.  

Either way, I was pleased with his play.  It's an improvement over JB so that is good.   No way will he hold the 77.5% completion percent, but so far so good. 

You’re 100% correct about the possibility of 3TD’s. I think he can hold that 77.5 as long as the run game is there for him.

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

You’re 100% correct about the possibility of 3TD’s. I think he can hold that 77.5 as long as the run game is there for him.

I was expecting high percentage passes to Hines out of the back field yesterday.  I wonder why we didn't see more of them.  Turned out OK though.   

Did Fountain make it into the game yesterday?   I don't recall seeing him, but I don't always notice all the players each play.

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

I was expecting high percentage passes to Hines out of the back field yesterday.  I wonder why we didn't see more of them.  Turned out OK though.   

Did Fountain make it into the game yesterday?   I don't recall seeing him, but I don't always notice all the players each play.

No Fountain yesterday because of how deep we are at the position. 

Fountain playing ST will help him stay on the 53.

That throw to TY was so good. Looked almost effortless. We need a couple more plays like that a game. The good thing is TY still got a lot of desperation. He will get it together. Next time there is a one o’clock game the roof needs to be closed. Reich said today he blamed the sun.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Fountain playing ST will help him stay on the 53.

That throw to TY was so good. Looked almost effortless. We need a couple more plays like that a game. The good thing is TY still got a lot of desperation. He will get it together. Next time there is a one o’clock game the roof needs to be closed. Reich said today he blamed the sun.

Our stadium really is terrible shadow wise. Anyone who's ever been to a game can tell you that.

I remember specifically the season opener vs Det a few years ago where I left my seat after the first qtr and watched from the other side of the stadium.

I'm a little shocked how down some are on TY in general. If he's bad this entire year I'll agree, but this season is definitely out of the norm in terms of preparation.

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Our stadium really is terrible shadow wise. Anyone who's ever been to a game can tell you that.

I remember specifically the season opener vs Det a few years ago where I left my seat after the first qtr and watched from the other side of the stadium.

I'm a little shocked how down some are on TY in general. If he's bad this entire year I'll agree, but this season is definitely out of the norm in terms of preparation.

If he was not getting separation that would mean he lost a step. He got a ton on that play. He will be fine. Next weeks game is at 4 so if it’s opened then won’t have to worry about the shadows.

Archived