Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phillip Rivers

Scott Pennock

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

Lots to be optimistic about. We’re trending in the right direction. Granted after week one, it wasn’t hard.

Week 1 shocked me like it did everyone but it happens every year to most teams for some reason where a team loses to a team they shouldn't. The Jags for some reason always play us like it is their SB, I don't get it. It is comical. In 2006 they blew us out when we had Peyton and ran for 375 yards. Flukes happen haha . Some stinky Dolphins teams have beat some great Pats teams costing them HFA in the past.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

At 78.2%, Rivers now leads the NFL in completion percentage.

Lamar Jackson (77.6%) plays Monday night vs the Chiefs.

:woah:

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im still tripping off the fact that this guy hasn't been sacked in 3 games.  Barely even hurried!

I think today was the first time he even got hit as he threw. 

Just now, Lancer1 said:

Rivers was sacked twice last week against the Vikings, and fumbled on one of them but it was recovered by O-lineman Braden Smith.

No he wasn't.   The one with Ngakoue wasn't a sack becaues he fumbled the ball.   I don't recall another time he was even touched.  When was the other time?

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

No he wasn't.   The one with Ngakoue wasn't a sack becaues he fumbled the ball.   I don't recall another time he was even touched.  When was the other time?

That still goes in the book as a sack (strip sack). We should know, Freeney and Mathis had enough.

I'm a massive NC State fan (Rivers' alma mater)... He was the best QB we ever had and Russell Wilson went there as well as Jacoby Brissett, Mike Glennon, and Ryan Finley.

He will win Indy a title... People forget that the Chargers ownership is so bad that Eli Manning publicly said before the '04 draft that he would sit out rather than play there, which is why the Rivers trade happened. Indy was the perfect fit and I think something special is going to happen there.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I heard Rivers was only hit twice in the vikes game.

I wonder how many times he was hit in the jets game. None ?

9 minutes ago, PrNum1 said:

I heard Rivers was only hit twice in the vikes game.

I wonder how many times he was hit in the jets game. None ?

I am not sure but if he was it wasn't more than a couple of times lmao . He has to be loving this. He completed 80% of his passes, you give a HOFamer that kind of time he will eat teams apart. This season is looking great moving forward. We should take of the Bears next week too. They are 3-0 but we are better IMO.

2 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

PFF shows Rivers has been pressured 17 times in 3 games this season. Last season he averaged 14 pressures per game!

Our OL is doing great, Rivers is getting rid of the ball quickly. Gotta love it.

That's why I laugh at negative oline postings./ 

3 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

PFF shows Rivers has been pressured 17 times in 3 games this season. Last season he averaged 14 pressures per game!

Our OL is doing great, Rivers is getting rid of the ball quickly. Gotta love it.

Yep, this is what I wanted to see this year, is what Philip can do with a line like most of the other top quarterbacks have had most of their careers. As an example, I just shook my head and smiled Sunday on their second possession of the second half when, on 3rd and long in Jets territory after the first two downs produced almost no yardage, Philip dropped back to try to get the first down, and...

for the first time in such a scenario that I can remember in years he had time to draw up a chair, make and eat a sandwich, get back up and then find an open receiver for the conversion. And convert they did.

You honestly don't know what it feels like getting to actually see moments like that for Philip this year after watching the degree of difficulty he's had to produce with almost his entire career. So far it's been a lot of fun. While it would have been great to see what he could have done with this kind of line throughout his career, I can't wait to see the rest of this journey this year.

24 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Yep, this is what I wanted to see this year, is what Philip can do with a line like most of the other top quarterbacks have had most of their careers. As an example, I just shook my head and smiled Sunday on their second possession of the second half when, on 3rd and long in Jets territory after the first two downs produced almost no yardage, Philip dropped back to try to get the first down, and...

for the first time in such a scenario that I can remember in years he had time to draw up a chair, make and eat a sandwich, get back up and then find an open receiver for the conversion. And convert they did.

You honestly don't know what it feels like getting to actually see moments like that for Philip this year after watching the degree of difficulty he's had to produce with almost his entire career. So far it's been a lot of fun. While it would have been great to see what he could have done with this kind of line throughout his career, I can't wait to see the rest of this journey this year.

I may have missed it, but are you a new Colts fan?   Sounds like maybe you have been a Charger fan for years.  

7 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Just posted that in another thread.  Absolutely insane.  The Chargers really wasted his talents for over a decade.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I may have missed it, but are you a new Colts fan?   Sounds like maybe you have been a Charger fan for years.  

Yes, new to the Colts the day Philip signed. And enjoying every minute of it. Not only watching him with a vastly better team around him, but my time on this board, as well. It's been a lot of fun.

I actually am not a lifelong Chargers fan - only since Philip was drafted there. As I've said here before, we lived in Athens, AL during the time Philip played his high school ball there, so I've watched him play since then (well, every N.C. State game that was shown in Athens during his college years, that is, which was usually only 3 or 4 each season). We've since moved from there (been several places, and have been in the Memphis area for 9 years now). But I've seen every single snap of his NFL career. I was actually a lifelong Steelers fan prior to 2004 (and have still followed them since, as well), but with all due respect to my fellow Steeler Nation, Philip comes first. All I can say is - he's special.

I'll always cherish the friends I made over the years in SoCal, as I'm sure I will for however long I'm here, as well. But yes, I go where Philip goes, as far as my football allegiance is concerned. He's earned that many ways over.

3 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Absolutely.  People also forget they had Drew Brees for 5 seasons and failed to win a single playoff game.

3 HOF quarterbacks and not a damn thing to show for it.

It's why I keep telling people that it's because that entire organization is poisoned to the roots. Those of us that have followed them now for a period of time after having followed other, actual champion organizations for decades previously (in my case, the Steelers) really do know what we're saying. It's really not that difficult to see the differences.

Yet the ones 99% of the public blame for it are the handful of truly great players they've had there, and they're the ones who have been the greatest victims of it. Really a shame.

13 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Yes, new to the Colts the day Philip signed. And enjoying every minute of it. Not only watching him with a vastly better team around him, but my time on this board, as well. It's been a lot of fun.

I actually am not a lifelong Chargers fan - only since Philip was drafted there. As I've said here before, we lived in Athens, AL during the time Philip played his high school ball there, so I've watched him play since then (well, every N.C. State game that was shown in Athens during his college years, that is, which was usually only 3 or 4 each season). We've since moved from there (been several places, and have been in the Memphis area for 9 years now). But I've seen every single snap of his NFL career. I was actually a lifelong Steelers fan prior to 2004 (and have still followed them since, as well), but with all due respect to my fellow Steeler Nation, Philip comes first. All I can say is - he's special.

I'll always cherish the friends I made over the years in SoCal, as I'm sure I will for however long I'm here, as well. But yes, I go where Philip goes, as far as my football allegiance is concerned. He's earned that many ways over.

Well, welcome to the Colts!  

I'm hoping Rivers decides to play next year as well.  Since the Colts have a pretty good all around team now, maybe he'll want to stick around.  

Since you are new to watching the Colts each game, I'm curious what your thoughts are?  The O-line is obviously better than San Diego was.  I think the receiving for isn't.  

13 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

It's why I keep telling people that it's because that entire organization is poisoned to the roots. Those of us that have followed them now for a period of time after having followed other, actual champion organizations for decades previously (in my case, the Steelers) really do know what we're saying. It's really not that difficult to see the differences.

Yet the ones 99% of the public blame for it are the handful of truly great players they've had there, and they're the ones who have been the greatest victims of it. Really a shame.

We see why Eli pulled a John Elway and declined to go to SD.

Rivers is doing a great job so far. I think I said the same about Brissett at this time, so did many others. Lets hope it continues. I'm also very grateful for our O-Line. It's been nice watching the Colts with a great line again after so many awful years. I didn't think it would ever get back to being great.

21 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I can't agree enough. I have never missed a Chargers game until this year. I'm 60 years old and have now, gotten rid of all charger stuff in my office, but my old 1970 helmet lamp which goes in the dumpster today on my way out. I have never seen Rivers with this much time. He so deserves this kind of true line support. I'm new here, but sit back fellow Colt Fans and enjoy the ride, as the fun is just beginning. Just think when he is on the same page as his teammates and really starts clicking with his recv'ers.. Early Xmas present to us all...

11 hours ago, Myles said:

Well, welcome to the Colts!  

I'm hoping Rivers decides to play next year as well.  Since the Colts have a pretty good all around team now, maybe he'll want to stick around.  

Since you are new to watching the Colts each game, I'm curious what your thoughts are?  The O-line is obviously better than San Diego was.  I think the receiving for isn't.  

What I've seen so far (understanding that it's extremely early still).

Offensive line

Already discussed, but one additional thing. Much of the weakness Philip had to compensate for with the Bolts was very poor interior pass protection, which really restricted his great ability to move within the pocket, very poor run blocking, which gave defenses much greater flexibility in defending their passing attack, and a high rate of injury over the years, leaving him with the added responsibility of making too many of the blocking calls at the line for units with too little experience playing together, in addition to all of the other things he needed to be focused on. All of these things combined to greatly increase what I've called for years the higher degree of difficulty he's faced over his career in comparison to most of the other top quarterbacks.

And so far, I haven't seen an issue with any of those things for him playing behind this Colts offensive line.

Receivers/Tight ends

So far, the biggest challenge I've seen is dealing with the revolving door of personnel due to the high rate of injuries already occurring in the receiver and tight end units. But what almost everyone has missed/ignored is that Philip has dealt with this many times with the Chargers, who had yearly issues across their rosters with a high level of missed games to injuries, including in the receiver/tight end units in a number of seasons. And Philip still consistently produced, game in and game out. So this is nothing new to him. He'll handle it fine. Plus, even at full strength in recent years, the Chargers really have had only 3 guys anyone would consider as great players within those units - Allen, Williams and Henry. And while that trio is very talented, as already mentioned, there was a low percentage of games where they all played together due to injuries.

Beyond those three, though, what I've seen so far leads me to believe that these Colts units are significantly deeper in talent than the recent Chargers units have been. And I really don't think it's close, either. So I'm not concerned at all that Philip and this passing game will continue to improve and produce, regardless of who's missing from one game to the next.

Running backs

These units look very even to me. Yes, I know how great a talent Ekeler is, especially as a receiving threat. And Gordon and Jackson were pretty good backs, too. But even with Mack lost for the year, Taylor, Hines and Wilkins match up very favorably with those three guys Philip had in recent years with the Chargers. Because of Ekeler, I'd give a slight edge to the Chargers. But only a slight one. And as I said at the beginning, it is very early so far - I could very well change my mind on that after a full season of seeing what Philip and these backs do together.

Now, I do have to add that these Colts backs have a significant advantage that those Chargers backs haven't had in the offensive lines they each have gotten/have had to play behind. That factor changes the entire comparison, especially when it comes to their respective performances in the running game. There's simply no way to know what their results would be if you switched lines. But it's ridiculously silly to even put forth the notion that it wouldn't matter. Of course it would, and has. We just don't know how or how much, and never will.

But getting back to this Colts team this year. I am every bit as enthused each game at what Philip and these backs can do together in this offense as I was each game he played with those Chargers backs. Every bit as much.

I could also talk about the differences I've seen with the rest of the defensive, special teams, coaching and management units between the two teams, but this post is already too long, and I'm tired of typing this much, as well, ha ha. So there you go.

• 3 months later...
On 8/18/2020 at 7:39 PM, PRnum1 said:

Trumpet_Man its me PR#1 !!!!

Welcome to the board !!!!

Hey dude !!!

I could not help wondering how Rivers would do with a great O-Line in Indy. I had a feeling he would get the Colts into the playoffs. Bro has gas left in the tank. I would give Rivers another year to jell with this offense and then ask him to groom an heir apparent for a league minimum offer and like it.

And no my posting days are largely behind me since the Chargers left San Diego.

I just drove by Jack Murphy stadium today from work and saw the east end of the old Chargers stadium completely demolished. A tear rolled down my cheek. And then another ........

On 10/1/2020 at 3:49 PM, DontEverGiveUp said:

Absolutely.  People also forget they had Drew Brees for 5 seasons and failed to win a single playoff game.

3 HOF quarterbacks and not a damn thing to show for it.

Well that is not quite true.

The Chargers won the AFL title in 1963 (51-10) vs. the Boston Patriots before the Super Bowl was known as the Super Bowl.

I know it may not seem much to today's fans but that is all we have or "had"

The end.

Signed

Broken San Diego Chargers Fan

1 minute ago, Trumpet_Man said:

Well that is not quite true.

The Chargers won the AFL title in 1963 (51-10) vs. the Boston Patriots before the Super Bowl was known as the Super Bowl.

I know it may not seem much to today's fans but that is all we have or "had"

The end.

Signed

Broken San Diego Chargers Fan

Yeah, I hear ya.

I meant nothing while they had 3 HOF QBs.

I feel your pain.

1 minute ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Yeah, I hear ya.

I meant nothing while they had 3 HOF QBs.

I feel your pain.

It is horrible having our team ripped away from San Diego. The ONLY game I did not play "TAPS" on my trumpet in the parking lot on game day was for the Cleveland Browns. We knew the Browns were going to get moved by Art Modell to Baltimore. I could not bring myself out of fan respect to play "TAPS" for fans who were losing their NFL team. I could not do it. I still get choked up seeing Browns fans walking our parking lot looking like zombies knowing their team was gone...bye bye dog pound. Anyway, I am glad River injected a bit of swagger to the Colts. I love that dude as a life long Bolt fan and yeah we * away 3 HOF QBs in the process - however - 1963.... 

Archived