Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phillip Rivers

Scott Pennock

Just some historical perspective as to whom we have under center right now......

Essentially broke all SEC Records set by Peyton Manning before graduating as a senior....

Drafted in 2004, threw approximately 20 passes in 2004 and 2005 as he sat behind......Drew Brees.

So in year 15 as a starter, with an AVERAGE year he will move into the top 5 (historically) in yardage and touchdowns.....trailing only the likes of Brees, Manning, Brady and Favre but passing by Marino in both categories.

Not bad for playing for some awful crappy and some awful conservative coaches in his career.

We should be pretty excited to have him for a season or two as he grooms Eason to replace him as Brees did for him - and maybe squeeze a Lombardi out of him in the process!??!

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Just some historical perspective as to whom we have under center right now......

Essentially broke all SEC Records set by Peyton Manning before graduating as a senior....

Drafted in 2004, threw approximately 20 passes in 2004 and 2005 as he sat behind......Drew Brees.

So in year 15 as a starter, with an AVERAGE year he will move into the top 5 (historically) in yardage and touchdowns.....trailing only the likes of Brees, Manning, Brady and Favre but passing by Marino in both categories.

Not bad for playing for some awful crappy and some awful conservative coaches in his career.

We should be pretty excited to have him for a season or two as he grooms Eason to replace him as Brees did for him - and maybe squeeze a Lombardi out of him in the process!??!

He's also top 10 all time (well 10th) in passer rating and yards per game (though he's only 22nd in pass attempts per game he ranks tied for 9th all time in yards per pass attempt).  

He has the best OL of his career here and what appears to be a solid cast of skill players around him.  Plus he's working with two coaches who he has already worked with and been productive with -- if he and the rest of the O stay healthy, it's gonna be a fun machine to watch.

26 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

He is also top 10 all-time in completion percentage. 

Maybe this will be his best year yet. I was surprised at how well Manning performed for the Broncos. Why can’t Rivers do the same thing with the Colts? 

Manning wanted to prove he wasn't done and picked the best spot possible to do just that....and give him a chance at another Lombardi.

It's pretty widely known our team is on the verge of something great - minus one element - a competent QB. So Rivers coming here to finish his career was likely a no brainer. He likely feels rejuvenated, and due to sitting his first two years likely means he's still got 2-3 good/great years ahead of him.

I for one am excited to see the plan unfold as it probably has unfolded in Ballards mind.....

26 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Maybe this will be his best year yet. I was surprised at how well Manning performed for the Broncos. Why can’t Rivers do the same thing with the Colts? 

Manning wanted to prove he wasn't done and picked the best spot possible to do just that....and give him a chance at another Lombardi.

It's pretty widely known our team is on the verge of something great - minus one element - a competent QB. So Rivers coming here to finish his career was likely a no brainer. He likely feels rejuvenated, and due to sitting his first two years likely means he's still got 2-3 good/great years ahead of him.

I for one am excited to see the plan unfold as it probably has unfolded in Ballards mind.....

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Thanks for all the info! However didnt Rivers play at NC State, an ACC school? I recall him winning over my Irish in the Gator Bowl.

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

1) He played in the ACC at NC State.

2) A majority of his career his HC was Marty Schottenheimer or Norv Turner, both highly regarded in the NFL. Turner has been known as one of the best offensive minds around the league for quite some time. They had a Top 5 offense in terms of yards every year Turner was in SD except for his last.

3) Eason won't be the long term answer here. Also, the Colts won't throw the ball 600 times this year like Rivers

did last year.

Rivers has had a great career but it's been diminishing returns for the last couple years. I get why they brought him in, but he isn't going to single handily beat teams.

6 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Peyton was also coming off an injury/surgery that nobody knew how well he'd come back from... he went on to his best year ever.  

Not really a good comparison.  #LetsGo

1 hour ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

2) A majority of his career his HC was Marty Schottenheimer or Norv Turner, both highly regarded in the NFL. Turner has been known as one of the best offensive minds around the league for quite some time. They had a Top 5 offense in terms of yards every year Turner was in SD except for his last.

3) Eason won't be the long term answer here. Also, the Colts won't throw the ball 600 times this year like Rivers

did last year.

Rivers has had a great career but it's been diminishing returns for the last couple years. I get why they brought him in, but he isn't going to single handily beat teams.

Rivers gets more pass protection here (assuming a healthy o-line) than he has in his career.  Your post is slightly stoopid for a a variety of reasons. 

4 hours ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

In 2018 he went 12-4 and had the best passer rating of his career.  He didn't have a great year in 2019, but it's not like it has been getting worse for years.  

He has the tools to "single handily beat teams".   Hopefully he will not need to though.   

5 hours ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

did last year.

Norv Turner was a terrible head coach

Here's where my mind goes thinking about Rivers..

1. Rivers is aging, but only 2 years removed from a terrific season in just about every statistical category.

2. Being more or less discarded, gives him a chip, which IMO will energize him

3. Rivers has arguably the best OL he's ever had. 

4. He's got a coach that knows him, and who he's been successful with in the past.

5. He's going to have a great running game that will make things easy on him.

6. On paper, he's got a great variety of receiving options at every position.

7. How many games has he missed due to injury? yup..

8. He's a quality guy with character.

I get the age concerns, but other than that, great fit.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

In 2018 he went 12-4 and had the best passer rating of his career.  He didn't have a great year in 2019, but it's not like it has been getting worse for years.  

He has the tools to "single handily beat teams".   Hopefully he will not need to though.   

Yup, he was stellar in 2018. His OL really took a dump last year (ranked 29th), and has been horrible for a while. The team's pass-blocking grade hasn't ranked above 26th since 2014. Doing what he did in 2018 was pretty crazy given some of the things he overcame. 

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

But a good OC. Rivers didn't have success in spite of Norv; most likely it was partly because of Norv. 

I blame him being terrible last year mostly on his o-line it made him try to play hero ball and that wont work in the NFL alot of his 20 INT's were self inflicted.

12 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I blame him being terrible last year mostly on his o-line it made him try to play hero ball and that wont work in the NFL alot of his 20 INT's were self inflicted.

That's a reasonable conclusion. (He actually wasn't terrible last year, but he did struggle to make plays with the game on the line.)

But what if his bad year was due to the fact that he's a 38 year old playing a 28 year old's game? What if it was the start of a precipitous decline, something common to players his age? And what if the people who were most aware of his issues and of how to minimize them were the coaches and players who saw him and worked with him every day?

I think it's a good signing, a great fit, it kind of speaks for itself, and it has a great chance of succeeding for us. But I hope the coaches aren't just wishing away the realities of Rivers situation, and ignoring the potential issues that could undermine his ability to perform this season. 

Hello Colts fans from a long time and well known Chargers fan since 1960.

Your team will not be disappointed since Rivers will FINALLY have and O-Line worth a damn. I am not sure why the Chargers always seems to crap the sheets for decades getting a complete O-Line. Rivers is a warrior who talks trash without ever using swear words.

As a crapped-on off Chargers fan since the relocation and Oceanside native, I am forced to wonder who I root for in an AFC Championship between the Colts and the Chargers (yeah I am that * off since the relocation). My wife will root for the Colts (ouch) and I am sitting on the fence if the grudge match AFC Championship game comes to fruition. As of this date I have to say I would not be that "butt hurt" if the Colts win it all taking the Chargers out in the process BUT this may change. This Covid-19 madness can make a Bolt brother go crazy.

Signed

A *Off Chargers fan 

23 minutes ago, Trumpet_Man said:

Hello Colts fans from a long time and well known Chargers fan since 1960.

Your team will not be disappointed since Rivers will FINALLY have and O-Line worth a damn. I am not sure why the Chargers always seems to crap the sheets for decades getting a complete O-Line. Rivers is a warrior who talks trash without ever using swear words.

As a crapped-on off Chargers fan since the relocation and Oceanside native, I am forced to wonder who I root for in an AFC Championship between the Colts and the Chargers (yeah I am that * off since the relocation). My wife will root for the Colts (ouch) and I am sitting on the fence if the grudge match AFC Championship game comes to fruition. As of this date I have to say I would not be that "butt hurt" if the Colts win it all taking the Chargers out in the process BUT this may change. This Covid-19 madness can make a Bolt brother go crazy.

Signed

A *Off Chargers fan 

Nice to meet you.   Feel free to root for the Colts and Chargers.   Do you really feel the Chargers have any chance of getting to the AFC Championship?  I assumed this would be a down year for the Chargers with maybe a win ceiling around 8 games, but you are a fan and would know more than I on their outlook.   

8 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Peyton was also coming off an injury/surgery that nobody knew how well he'd come back from... he went on to his best year ever.  

Not really a good comparison.  #LetsGo

Rivers gets more pass protection here (assuming a healthy o-line) than he has in his career.  Your post is slightly stoopid for a a variety of reasons. 

Okay, feel free to point out was wrong then instead of making a blanket statement.

9 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Okay, feel free to point out was wrong then instead of making a blanket statement.

First, Rivers has the skills to win games as a HOF caliber QB.  You probably meant to write handedly, but wrote handily when you said he can't 'single handily' beat teams.  The only knock on Rivers other than he seems to complain about refs a lot (and we may be biased as Colts' fans since he had his famous flick of the bird in Indy) is that he hasn't won a Super Bowl.  Other than that, he's proven he's a top 10 QB in the NFL every single year.  Very few QBs in the AFC not named Brady, Manning or Roethlisberger have made it to the SB since Rivers has been in the league (Tom 7x, Peyton 4x, Ben 3x, Joe Flacco 1x, Patrick Mahomes 1x).  Rivers beat Peyton 2x in the playoffs while Peyton was with the Colts.

Second, you say his play has been 'diminishing the last couple of years' -- he completed 66% of his passes last year (his INTs were an issue, but he played with one of the worst OL's in the league and was under constant pressure which he likely won't be here).  In 2018 he had a 68.3% completion rate with 32 TDs and 12 INTs.  He's thrown for over 4,000 yards in 7 consecutive seasons.  His 2018 season was arguably the best of his career -- so you're very wrong in saying he's declining the past couple of years.  Other than his INT issue last year, there is no sign of him becoming a worse player.  He had a poor team around him, including a terrible OL, last year, but he was still in the top 10 in completion percentage, total yards and 11th in yards per attempt.  You are probably right that we won't throw 600 times (he threw 591 times) and we shouldn't have to with our running game and offensive line.  That has nothing to do with him not being able to win games as a starting QB and it made no sense for you to put that stat in your argument (Eason won't be the long term answer and we won't throw 600 times... what were you trying to say?).

Third, nobody has any idea if Eason will be the long term solution here or not.  He has a cannon for an arm and a raw skill set. He's going to get the opportunity to learn from a future HOF QB (who also got to learn from Drew Brees who is arguably the GOAT).  Your 'matter of fact' statement is ignorant.

16 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

First, Rivers has the skills to win games as a HOF caliber QB.  You probably meant to write handedly, but wrote handily when you said he can't 'single handily' beat teams.  The only knock on Rivers other than he seems to complain about refs a lot (and we may be biased as Colts' fans since he had his famous flick of the bird in Indy) is that he hasn't won a Super Bowl.  Other than that, he's proven he's a top 10 QB in the NFL every single year.  Very few QBs in the AFC not named Brady, Manning or Roethlisberger have made it to the SB since Rivers has been in the league (Tom 7x, Peyton 4x, Ben 3x, Joe Flacco 1x, Patrick Mahomes 1x).  Rivers beat Peyton 2x in the playoffs while Peyton was with the Colts.

Second, you say his play has been 'diminishing the last couple of years' -- he completed 66% of his passes last year (his INTs were an issue, but he played with one of the worst OL's in the league and was under constant pressure which he likely won't be here).  In 2018 he had a 68.3% completion rate with 32 TDs and 12 INTs.  He's thrown for over 4,000 yards in 7 consecutive seasons.  His 2018 season was arguably the best of his career -- so you're very wrong in saying he's declining the past couple of years.  Other than his INT issue last year, there is no sign of him becoming a worse player.  He had a poor team around him, including a terrible OL, last year, but he was still in the top 10 in completion percentage, total yards and 11th in yards per attempt.  You are probably right that we won't throw 600 times (he threw 591 times) and we shouldn't have to with our running game and offensive line.  That has nothing to do with him not being able to win games as a starting QB and it made no sense for you to put that stat in your argument (Eason won't be the long term answer and we won't throw 600 times... what were you trying to say?).

Third, nobody has any idea if Eason will be the long term solution here or not.  He has a cannon for an arm and a raw skill set. He's going to get the opportunity to learn from a future HOF QB (who also got to learn from Drew Brees who is arguably the GOAT).  Your 'matter of fact' statement is ignorant.

I wrote the original post at 2:30 AM, so there were probably some typo's. The only unit that Rivers had around him last year that was worse than what he will have in Indianapolis was the offensive line. The WR and RB group he had in LA was much better. Through 2018 and 2019, Rivers was fifth in the NFL in check down percentage, his completion percentage should be high. The passing rules in the league are much more favorable now than what they were when these guys came into the league. Eason lasted until pick 122 for a reason, if he was without question marks, he would have went a lot sooner. He isn't the obvious QB of the future that some pretend he is. Drew Brees isn't in the conversation of being the GOAT, talk about an ignorant statement. His passing yards won't be what they were in years past, because he isn't going to be chucking the ball like he was in SD/LA. It's a big reason why the line on his passing yards has been bet down from 4249.5 to 4000.5. Also, using the eye test, if you watched Rivers play at all last year his passes fluttered an awful lot. We'll see how it shakes out, but to act like he is still the same QB now as he was 10 years ago is asinine. Rivers is 38/39 this is an age where pretty much every QB in history has dropped off with the exception of Tom Brady. To not expect some regression from Rivers at this age is baffling to me.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

That's a reasonable conclusion. (He actually wasn't terrible last year, but he did struggle to make plays with the game on the line.)

But what if his bad year was due to the fact that he's a 38 year old playing a 28 year old's game? What if it was the start of a precipitous decline, something common to players his age? And what if the people who were most aware of his issues and of how to minimize them were the coaches and players who saw him and worked with him every day?

I think it's a good signing, a great fit, it kind of speaks for itself, and it has a great chance of succeeding for us. But I hope the coaches aren't just wishing away the realities of Rivers situation, and ignoring the potential issues that could undermine his ability to perform this season. 

Well chargers also couldn't run the ball last season at all pass only offense's don't normally succeed you have to be able to run it a little bit to set up the pass.

3 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I wrote the original post at 2:30 AM, so there were probably some typo's. The only unit that Rivers had around him last year that was worse than what he will have in Indianapolis was the offensive line. The WR and RB group he had in LA was much better.

Wut??

Indy's running game was top 10 last year, while SD's was bottom 10. Indy averaged 4.5 ypc while SD averaged 4.0. Indy's running game was clearly better despite being keyed on by Ds. This year, adding Taylor will only increase that delta.

The disparity in OL is tremendous, and can't be ignored. We had a top 5 and they were bottom 5. 

Yes, there was disparity in the WRs last year, but not TEs. This year, so long as we don't have another injury bug, I'll bet our WR group easily outperforms their WR if you compare top 3 of SD last year (2332 combined yards) vs Indy's top 3 WRs this year. A good portion of River's yards were to RBs, and he'll have pass catching options at RB too. TE will be a push.

Through 2018 and 2019, Rivers was fifth in the NFL in check down percentage, his completion percentage should be high.

Honestly I don't care about check down %. Rivers doesn't have a problem with progressions, and if check downs get the job done, I'm fine with that. It's likely his check down % is high because SD's OL has ranked above 26th in pass protection since 2014.

We'll see how it shakes out, but to act like he is still the same QB now as he was 10 years ago is asinine. Rivers is 38/39 this is an age where pretty much every QB in history has dropped off with the exception of Tom Brady. To not expect some regression from Rivers at this age is baffling to me.

I don't think anyone thinks he'll be physically the same as he was 10 years ago. Going from a bottom 5 OL to a top 5 OL will make things a ton easier on him. I could care less if he doesn't throw deep as much. His short and intermediate passes are still great, and his timing is terrific. Regardless, it should still be a big improvement from last year. 

17 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

I wrote the original post at 2:30 AM, so there were probably some typo's. The only unit that Rivers had around him last year that was worse than what he will have in Indianapolis was the offensive line. The WR and RB group he had in LA was much better. Through 2018 and 2019, Rivers was fifth in the NFL in check down percentage, his completion percentage should be high. The passing rules in the league are much more favorable now than what they were when these guys came into the league. Eason lasted until pick 122 for a reason, if he was without question marks, he would have went a lot sooner. He isn't the obvious QB of the future that some pretend he is. Drew Brees isn't in the conversation of being the GOAT, talk about an ignorant statement. His passing yards won't be what they were in years past, because he isn't going to be chucking the ball like he was in SD/LA. It's a big reason why the line on his passing yards has been bet down from 4249.5 to 4000.5. Also, using the eye test, if you watched Rivers play at all last year his passes fluttered an awful lot. We'll see how it shakes out, but to act like he is still the same QB now as he was 10 years ago is asinine. Rivers is 38/39 this is an age where pretty much every QB in history has dropped off with the exception of Tom Brady. To not expect some regression from Rivers at this age is baffling to me.

Rivers played almost perfectly against us last year which is the only game of his I really studied.  He doesn't seem to have 'lost it' by any means.  

Brees not being in the argument for best QB is ridiculous, he will become the first QB in NFL history to surpass 80,000 total passing yards.  He's a first ballot (should be unanimous) HOFer.  He's a 13x pro-bowler, 5x all-pro, Super Bowl MVP, 2x offensive player of year, 7x NFL passing yards leader, 4x NFL passing TD leader, 2x NFL passer rating leader, 6x NFL completion percentage leader, holds the NFL record for passing yards, TDs, highest completion percentage (career and single season), most 5,000+ yard seasons, and most career passing completions.  You should stop arguing, there is no sense in anyone reading your posts anymore if you think you know anything about football. 

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wut??

Indy's running game was top 10 last year, while SD's was bottom 10. Indy averaged 4.5 ypc while SD averaged 4.0. Indy's running game was clearly better despite being keyed on by Ds. This year, adding Taylor will only increase that delta.

You don't think the disparity in quality of O Line play played a role in that? Or you think Ekeler and Melvin Gordon were worse than Marlon Mack.

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wut??

The disparity in OL is tremendous, and can't be ignored. We had a top 5 and they were bottom 5. 

Yes, there was disparity in the WRs last year, but not TEs. This year, so long as we don't have another injury bug, I'll bet our WR group easily outperforms their WR if you compare top 3 of SD last year (2332 combined yards) vs Indy's top 3 WRs this year. A good portion of River's yards were to RBs, and he'll have pass catching options at RB too. TE will be a push.

Honestly I don't care about check down %. Rivers doesn't have a problem with progressions, and if check downs get the job done, I'm fine with that. It's likely his check down % is high because SD's OL has ranked above 26th in pass protection since 2014.

I don't think anyone thinks he'll be physically the same as he was 10 years ago. Going from a bottom 5 OL to a top 5 OL will make things a ton easier on him. I could care less if he doesn't throw deep as much. His short and intermediate passes are still great, and his timing is terrific. Regardless, it should still be a big improvement from last year. 

From training camp notes it sounds like he can still chuck it... but with guys like TY, Hines, and Campbell (assuming all are healthy) we have speedy/agile guys who can turn short passes into large gains.  Sounds like J. Taylor is getting some action as a receiver out of the backfield as well.  Reich has shown that he can adapt within games as a play-caller and his game plans change week-to-week -- I wouldn't mind at all if we just had a few deep plays for TY/Campbell to blow the top off the D or for Pittman or other WRs  and if we saw a lot of 5-8 yard passes (it's worked for Brady for a long time -- keeps the opposing O off the field and moves the chains -- we have the running game and OL skill to help).

53 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

How many full games of rivers did you watch last year? The one vs the Colts? (Sarcasm) I dont claim to know how good Rivers still is, but i think basing his INTs last year on his age is.... what was it you said?.... Asinine? Especially considering he doesn't have a history of bad decision making. 

Its cool. Be skeptical. I dont really mind. Im just glad to have someone who has brains, and history, behind center again. No one is asking Rivers to be superman. 

4 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

You don't think the disparity in quality of O Line play played a role in that? Or you think Ekeler and Melvin Gordon were worse than Marlon Mack.

I'm sure the disparity in OL played a role in, but OL + RB = running game performance. And it was clearly better in Indy last year, and will be again in 2020. 

And this year in Indy, the combo of Taylor/Mack/Hines will be clearly better than LAC's, this year or last.

21 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Rivers played almost perfectly against us last year which is the only game of his I really studied.  He doesn't seem to have 'lost it' by any means.  

Brees not being in the argument for best QB is ridiculous, he will become the first QB in NFL history to surpass 80,000 total passing yards.  He's a first ballot (should be unanimous) HOFer.  He's a 13x pro-bowler, 5x all-pro, Super Bowl MVP, 2x offensive player of year, 7x NFL passing yards leader, 4x NFL passing TD leader, 2x NFL passer rating leader, 6x NFL completion percentage leader, holds the NFL record for passing yards, TDs, highest completion percentage (career and single season), most 5,000+ yard seasons, and most career passing completions.  You should stop arguing, there is no sense in anyone reading your posts anymore if you think you know anything about football. 

Okay, so you watched the very first game of the season and nothing else? Enough said. He played in a pass happy offensive system for a majority of his career, and he will most likely get passed by Matt Stafford for all of those accolades if Stafford hangs on long enough. That is a product of NFL rules changing dramatically to increase passing and offense during his time in the NFL. Find me someone with actual credentials that would put Brees ahead of Manning, Brady, Montana or Elway. Are you a teenager? Seriously, trying to question my knowledge when I provided a rebuttal to everything you've said. You said I know nothing about football after admitting you literally watched one game of a guy you're over opinionated on. You "studied" the tape? I would love to hear your in depth breakdown and analysis of that tape. I have a strong feeling you've never played the game at any level except Madden.

You ever stop drinking since 2:30 AM?  

Marlon Mack is a better RB than Ekeler and Hines (IMO) can be as good or better in a similar role.  Jonathan Taylor is also an absolute freak.  To say any of our backs are better than Melvin Gordon may be a stretch, but Melvin Gordon has also missed 1/4 of the season the past two years due to injury so I'm fine with having Mack/Taylor as a 1-2 punch.  

In terms of receivers, which you claimed SD had much better ones - you're also wrong.  Keenan Allen is a stud, and better than TY but not by a whole lot.  After that, our WR corps this year is every bit as talented as SDs was last year (probably deeper and more talented, TBH).  Jalen Guyton, Jason Moore, Andre Patton and Mike Williams were SDs WRs aside from Keenan Allen last year - you must be kidding when saying their WR corps was much better than what we have here in Indy.

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

How many full games of rivers did you watch last year? The one vs the Colts? I dont claim to know how good Rivers still is, but i think basing his INTs last year on his age is.... what was it you said?.... Asinine? 

Colts, Lions, both Broncos game, both Raiders game and both Chiefs games. Re-read my post, I don't think you understood it clearly. I said it was a combination of everything, and people at his age don't usually bounce back.

3 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

You ever stop drinking since 2:30 AM?  

Marlon Mack is a better RB than Ekeler and Hines (IMO) can be as good or better in a similar role.  Jonathan Taylor is also an absolute freak.  To say any of our backs are better than Melvin Gordon may be a stretch, but Melvin Gordon has also missed 1/4 of the season the past two years due to injury so I'm fine with having Mack/Taylor as a 1-2 punch.  

In terms of receivers, which you claimed SD had much better ones - you're also wrong.  Keenan Allen is a stud, and better than TY but not by a whole lot.  After that, our WR corps this year is every bit as talented as SDs was last year (probably deeper and more talented, TBH).  Jalen Guyton, Jason Moore, Andre Patton and Mike Williams were SDs WRs aside from Keenan Allen last year - you must be kidding when saying their WR corps was much better than what we have here in Indy.

You've fully exposed yourself as so much of a homer that this isn't worth the discussion. If you think you know more about football than me though I will gladly accept going 1 vs. 1 with you this year where we pick games against the spread, just let me know how much money you would like to put up.

5 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

Colts, Lions, both Broncos game, both Raiders game and both Chiefs games. Re-read my post, I don't think you understood it clearly. I said it was a combination of everything, and people at his age don't usually bounce back.

I got here late. No need to go back youve cleared things up. In all honesty, I'm personally excited because just how good the rest of this team is. 

If you think Rivers is the same as Brissett then by all means I get it, but the colts don't need someone to be that much better than him IMO. 

The kicking game is also better after signing a kicker who has one of the best kicking records. 

It just "seems" that it's all coming together, and I think that's worth being excited about. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm sure the disparity in OL played a role in, but OL + RB = running game performance. And it was clearly better in Indy last year, and will be again in 2020. 

And this year in Indy, the combo of Taylor/Mack/Hines will be clearly better than LAC's, this year or last.

The quality of the offensive line is much more important in RB production than the RB's talent. They're not an equal weight system.

13 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

From training camp notes it sounds like he can still chuck it... but with guys like TY, Hines, and Campbell (assuming all are healthy) we have speedy/agile guys who can turn short passes into large gains.  Sounds like J. Taylor is getting some action as a receiver out of the backfield as well.  Reich has shown that he can adapt within games as a play-caller and his game plans change week-to-week -- I wouldn't mind at all if we just had a few deep plays for TY/Campbell to blow the top off the D or for Pittman or other WRs  and if we saw a lot of 5-8 yard passes (it's worked for Brady for a long time -- keeps the opposing O off the field and moves the chains -- we have the running game and OL skill to help).

We have incredible speed at WR. TY, Campbell, Fountain, and Dulin are all fast as heck, and shifty too. Pittman is fast too for his size. Hines is crazy fast, and Taylor has wheels too. 

I'd love some deep passing plays with TY, Campbell, and Hines all running go routes. The DBs would be dusted. And the middle of the field would be crazy open for the rest of the pass catchers.

Archived