Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The First Six Games

Smonroe

I've read and listened to more than a few people who are predicting 6-0 before the break.  Not just your every day fan, but writers and podcasters.  I'd love to believe that will be the case.

However in my mind, looking at the schedule realistically, I think we could easily lose at least two of those games.  The Vikings were 10-6 and a playoff team.  They're well rounded and coached.  They did lose Diggs but picked up Jefferson.  They have a balanced attack and a good D.  Going to be a tough game.

The Jets had the same record as us.  I don't think they're anywhere near as good as the Colts, but I thought the same thing in 2018.  (I know, injuries)

The Bears were 8-8 and could be better this year with Foles.  Not going to be a pushover game.

The Browns are extremely talented and added more talent this year.  It all comes down to coaching and Baker.  They could be very good...or be the Browns...

I didn't mention the Jags or the Bengals.  You can never rule any team out but we better win those two games.

Anyway, I'm jonesing for football and just wanted to get more Colts conversation going!

40 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I've read and listened to more than a few people who are predicting 6-0 before the break.  Not just your every day fan, but writers and podcasters.  I'd love to believe that will be the case.

However in my mind, looking at the schedule realistically, I think we could easily lose at least two of those games.  The Vikings were 10-6 and a playoff team.  They're well rounded and coached.  They did lose Diggs but picked up Jefferson.  They have a balanced attack and a good D.  Going to be a tough game.

The Jets had the same record as us.  I don't think they're anywhere near as good as the Colts, but I thought the same thing in 2018.  (I know, injuries)

The Bears were 8-8 and could be better this year with Foles.  Not going to be a pushover game.

The Browns are extremely talented and added more talent this year.  It all comes down to coaching and Baker.  They could be very good...or be the Browns...

I didn't mention the Jags or the Bengals.  You can never rule any team out but we better win those two games.

Anyway, I'm jonesing for football and just wanted to get more Colts conversation going!

AND, without preseason games, the first regular season game, or two, will be more unpredictable than usual.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I think we'll start 4-2.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think we'll start 4-2.

Like @buccolts said, the first games are always strange.  Assuming we don't get upset by the Jags, I think the Vikings game is going to tell us a lot about how good we are.

And, as always, key injuries are going to change things week to week.  Right now, I'd take 4-2 (but I'm hoping for 6-0).

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Like @buccolts said, the first games are always strange.  Assuming we don't get upset by the Jags, I think the Vikings game is going to tell us a lot about how good we are.

And, as always, key injuries are going to change things week to week.  Right now, I'd take 4-2 (but I'm hoping for 6-0).

Looking on paper, I can understand those picking 6-0 because it is possible.    But in the NFL anything can happen.   Even the top teams lose to the bottom teams each season.   That's why I went 4-2.   They may beat the Vikings but lose to the Jets.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Looking on paper, I can understand those picking 6-0 because it is possible.    But in the NFL anything can happen.   Even the top teams lose to the bottom teams each season.   That's why I went 4-2.   They may beat the Vikings but lose to the Jets.

Plus, with the Covid wildcard, things could change drastically week to week.  I still don't know how they're going to do it.  We've all gone over it, but if one player (say a lineman) tests positive, how are they going to say everyone he came into contact with is eligible?

I don't want to turn this into a virus discussion.  I'm so psyched for the season, I really hate to see anything derail it.  They already took B1G football away from me!  Enough is enough!

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Plus, with the Covid wildcard, things could change drastically week to week.  I still don't know how they're going to do it.  We've all gone over it, but if one player (say a lineman) tests positive, how are they going to say everyone he came into contact with is eligible?

I don't want to turn this into a virus discussion.  I'm so psyched for the season, I really hate to see anything derail it.  They already took B1G football away from me!  Enough is enough!

You cant discuss this season at all without bringing up the virus issue into the picture. 

Personally I think it's going to effect the NFL from game one. 

Just the mental distractions for the players and how it can effect their play can't be overlooked. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You cant discuss this season at all without bringing up the virus issue into the picture. 

Just the mental distractions for the players and how it can effect their play can't be overlooked. 

Again, not to get into another covid discussion but did you see the little device the guys are wearing that tells them when they're within 6 feet of another player?  Okay, maybe during meetings or at lunch it makes some sense. 

But still, isn't that ridiculous?  They're all going to be within 6 feet of each other during practice. 

Well, maybe not TY and Parris.  They can probably get 6 feet away from anyone in no time flat.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think we can and I sure hope so.

We are all surrounded, understandably, by news and discussion of the pandemic.  

Personally I come here for a respite from it all and to embrace Colts news, discussion, and a new hope after a great off season.  OF COURSE the season might be cancelled.  Until that moment (which I hope doesn't come unless the Patriots are on the verge of winning the Super Bowl :funny:)

All I gotta say is Go Colts!!!:colts:

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

We lose to Jags or Bengals then we dont deserve a playoff spot because both of those teams are trash...

1 hour ago, Fat Clemenza said:

I think we can and I sure hope so.

We are all surrounded, understandably, by news and discussion of the pandemic.  

Personally I come here for a respite from it all and to embrace Colts news, discussion, and a new hope after a great off season.  OF COURSE the season might be cancelled.  Until that moment (which I hope doesn't come unless the Patriots are on the verge of winning the Super Bowl :funny:)

All I gotta say is Go Colts!!!:colts:

I share your sentiment. But I think we have to include COVID in the discussion just as we would injuries, off the field incidents or the weather.  It is another factor that can change games, wether we like it or not.

You did come up with the only reason to be happy if the season is cancelled though!

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Aside from the mental distractions due to covid health issues, it will also be the first time for many of them in a while not playing in front of a large number of fans (and it seems like every team currently has their own unique plans).  I get they are all professional athletes and should have no problem rising up to the challenge of being competitive without fans.  Fans are definitely a part of the equation in making 'home field advantage' a thing, so it'll be sort of weird watching football on TV with some stands having no fans and others having ~1/4 or less fans in the stadium and I imagine slightly weird for some players to adjust weekly (e.g., the Jets and Giants are currently banned from having fans, so (as things are now) the Jets will play a home game with no fans before travelling to Indy and getting ~25% of LOS' capacity).  Going from a stadium with none of your home fans rooting for you one week to a stadium with opposing fans rooting against you the next week has to be a pretty weird adjustment.

I also think there's going to be a bit of fenagling with how players, teams and the league handle this as the season gets going.  These guys play right on top of each other.  The MLB had some major issues with certain teams (especially early in the season) and those guys are typically more than 6 feet apart from each other on the field.  Several teams had to cancel quite a bit of games early in the season due to multiple players contracting covid at the same time.  Fortunately, for baseball, they have a pretty long season and can play doubleheaders to make up for some lost games -- even one missed game in the NFL would be a very significant issue with only a 16 game season.

It seems that if one guy on the field had covid, many others would get it as football players come into very close contact with each other throughout the game.  Football, unlike baseball or basketball, can have higher injury risk depending on the supporting cast (e.g., if a baseball team loses their star shortstop, it's not really likely the second baseman or pitcher is at higher injury risk - maybe at a higher risk to lose a game... but in football, if a team lost their all-pro center/guard/left tackle due to covid, it significantly impacts the risk of injury to the QB and running back who depend on their protection).  I hope this doesn't happen, but say covid spread across our OL and we had to go 2 or more weeks without Kelly, Castanzo, Big Q in the lineup -- would Philip Rivers really want to line up behind that line after signing a one year contract which I assume part of the appeal was coming to one of the best OLs in football?  Sure, it's possible for a player to be injured at any time and miss a game or two in a normal year, but it seems like with football one covid case may result in a whole positional group or multiple groups contracting covid due to the nature of the game.  

8 hours ago, Myles said:

Yeah, we look good on paper but we may see something different when the lights come on. But a great running game will hide any deficiencies that we might have due to injuries or whatever else. 

6-0 is certainly an optimistic view.

However, we could greatly benefit from a presumably strong running game until the “rust” Fades  that every team will have due to Covid issues.

Our strength at OL and The potential on the DL could be huge for is this year, especially early on.

We also have added a couple key weapons on offense, as well as MAJOR improvements at QB and DL in Rivers and Buckner.  The coaching staff remains the same as well so i see us having an easier melding of team with less practicing and preseason.

If the virus can be kept in check with the team, i think we have some advantages over many teams just in familiarity which could be huge to start the season.

Heres hoping anyway. 

Archived