Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unbreakable NFL Records

Lucky Colts Fan

24 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Which NFL records will never be broken?

https://www.nfl.com/news/unbreakable-nfl-records

According to these NFL writers:

Emmitt Smith career rushing yds (18,355)

Paul Krause career interceptions (81)

Tom Brady SB rings (6)

Brett Favre interceptions thrown (336)

Brett Favre's INT's is too hilarious lmao . I agree with all of these. I would add Peyton winning 5 League MVP's won't be broke either.

Had Barry Sanders not retired he may have gained nearly 20,000 yards but he did retire so we will never know. Barry could've also got injured so that wasn't a given. As of now Emmitt's 18,355 looks untouchable and a lot of it is due to teams using 2 backs a lot. RB's take a beating, how Emmitt took that punishment for 15 years is unreal. 

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Sammy Baugh=

There will never be a QB that will lead the league in passing, punting and defensive interceptions. 

Out of all the records that is maybe the greatest . It's something out of the Twilight Zone. 

You love ol' Sammy, dont blame you. He is ranked by many as a top 20 player of all-time period.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You love ol' Sammy, dont blame you. He is ranked by many as a top 20 player of all-time period.

I know it's hard to judge different eras but he did it with a football before it was streamlined. 

As a rookie QB he lead the league in passing yards in a championship game from 1937 till 2012. Russell Wilson broke that record of 335 yards. 

Even today he is 2nd only to Lechler. in career punting average with 45.1 

He also had 31 defensive interceptions. He had 11 picks in 1 season. 

IMO it makes no different what era you played for those are amazing numbers. 

I always love the QB topic = winning 2 SB's or more as a starter because it rarely happens. Since the 1966 season when the SB era begin only 12 QB's have done it out of thousands:

Just a history lesson as a starter here they are:

Starr won in 1966, 1967 = 2

Greise won in 1972, 1973 = 2

Staubach won in 1971, 1977 = 2

Plunkett won in 1980, 1983 = 2

Elway won in 1997, 1998 = 2

Big Ben won in 2005, 2008 = 2

Eli won in 2007, 2011 = 2 

Peyton won in 2006, 2015 = 2

The big winners are:

Bradshaw won in 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979 = 4

Montana won in 1981, 1984, 1988, 1989 = 4

Aikman won in 1992, 1993, 1995 = 3

Brady won in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016, 2018 = 6

QB's that only won 1 SB that are Elite as a starter:

Steve Young won in 1994

Favre won in 1996

Brees won in 2009

Rodgers won in 2010

Dan Marino and Jim Kelly never won one as a side note.

On 8/16/2020 at 12:05 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Had Barry Sanders not retired he may have gained nearly 20,000 yards but he did retire so we will never know. Barry could've also got injured so that wasn't a given. As of now Emmitt's 18,355 looks untouchable 

I think Barry would have broken 20,000 in 3 more seasons.  Would have been passed Smiths record in 2 years.  

On 8/16/2020 at 4:35 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Brett Favre interceptions thrown (336)

Jameis Winston seemed to be having a good go at this. Such a frustrating QB to watch, has talent certainly, but still makes rookie mistakes. 

His season last year was pretty wild, a few less picks and he's probably returning to TB.

On 8/16/2020 at 12:01 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brett Favre's INT's is too hilarious lmao . 

It is hilarious. I don't know why Favre is ever mentioned as an all time great. He literally threw playoff games and SB chances away with his horrible decision making.

3 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I am sure Peyton would trade that in for Joes' 4 rings and Brady's 6 rings in a heartbeat. haha

Maybe true but the leagues voting of one player as the Leagues Most Valuable player 5 times is an individual achievement while the super bowl rings are a team achievement. 

Just saying.

22 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Be honest 

I thought for years Marvin Harrison record would never be broken

Michael Thomas is a BEAST!

I agree with you - I never thought that record would be touched and Thomas beat him by 6.  I have a hard time imagining it happening again - but with today's pass-friendly NFL rules, who knows.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Had Barry Sanders not retired he may have gained nearly 20,000 yards but he did retire so we will never know. Barry could've also got injured so that wasn't a given. As of now Emmitt's 18,355 looks untouchable and a lot of it is due to teams using 2 backs a lot. RB's take a beating, how Emmitt took that punishment for 15 years is unreal. 

I agree that record won't be broken (for a very long time at least).  Not only was Emmitt's longevity insane, he stayed a #1 back late in his career.  The only 2 RBs still active who are close are Gore (who is 3,006 yards away) and AP (who is 4,100+ yards away).  AP had his injuries over his career... but neither Gore or AP are workhorse running backs anymore.  I can't imagine Gore has another 1k yard plus season as he's behind Le'Veon Bell now and likely won't be a full-time starter again... so even if he had ~500 yard seasons, he'd have to play 6 more years.. no way.

Also, unless rule changes and football styles change again, I think this is going to be a pass-friendly league for quite some time.  Not to take anything away from Emmitt, but this is a vastly different NFL now which emphasizes ground-and-pound running games less than aerial offenses.

8 hours ago, FortheWin said:

In addition to Brady's 6 rings, his 10-0 playoff record to start a career will also never be topped IMO.

Also, doesn't Manning own the record for most TDs to a receiver?

Yes - Manning to Marv was good for 118 TDs.  Next best was Young to Rice (92 TDs), then Marino to Clayton (82), then Manning to Reggie (76), with Brees to Colston and Kelly to Reed rounding out the top 5 (tied at 71).  

I don't see that record being broken for a few reasons.  One, it's not common for a HOF WR and QB to play the vast majority of their primes together (see Rice for example, even though he played with two HOF QBs, he spent his early years with Montana and late with Young).  Two, with the way free agency is nowadays it seems less likely for a lot of players to play their entire career (or vast majority of it) with one team.  Three, the amount of money players make now (both from FB and from endorsements/sponsorships) along with increased awareness about long-term physical/mental health issues associated with playing football (IMO) will lead to players retiring at earlier ages.

Another record which I think will be hard to break is Rice's all-time TDs of 208. Emmitt is next at 175 and the only active players who are within 100 are Larry Fitz (120) and AP (117).

Eric Dickerson's single-season rushing record will be tough as well.  He got 2,105 rushing yards on 379 attempts in 1984 (he actually had 3 other seasons where he had 380+ carries.  By contrast, the leading rusher last year (D. Henry) had 1,540 yards on 303 carries (which also lead the league).  D. Henry was averaging 5.1 ypc last year, he would have had to have 111 more carries at that average to beat Dickerson.  With RB by committee becoming more common and more emphasis placed on passing in today's NFL, I have a hard time seeing that record going down.

Brees will likely pass 80,000 yards passing this year -- which could be breakable (1) if he retires and Brady plays another year or two, or (2) because of how the game has moved to pass-friendly on offense.  However, that's gonna take a QB who has a very long (~20 year) career and who stays healthy to do it.

The records I don't see being broken are Jerry Rice's playoff receiving records -- he has almost 6,000 yards more than the next guy (Larry Fitz) in the playoffs, over 30 more catches (Edelman is the only other who has ever had more than 100 playoff receptions), and over 40 more TDs than the next guy (Randy Moss, with Fitz being 77 away and the only active guy within 120).  

On 8/17/2020 at 7:17 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe true but the leagues voting of one player as the Leagues Most Valuable player 5 times is an individual achievement while the super bowl rings are a team achievement. 

Just saying.

Brady also has 4 SB MVPs.  Really his whole career is one of unbreakable records. I don't think any QB beats his regular seasons wins or post-season wins.

Just now, FortheWin said:

Brady also has 4 SB MVPs.  Really his whole career is one of unbreakable records. I don't think any QB beats his regular seasons wins or post-season wins.

True but he will never win 5 League MVP's like the big forehead did as Patriots fans love to call him. Also Peyton won a SB with 2 different teams as a starter which I doubt will ever happen again as well. I think the Bucs will be good with Brady but they aren't winning the SB. I still think someone throwing for more than 55 TD's in a season may not happen either, another Peyton record.

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True but he will never win 5 League MVP's like the big forehead did as Patriots fans love to call him. Also Peyton won a SB with 2 different teams as a starter which I doubt will ever happen again as well. I think the Bucs will be good with Brady but they aren't winning the SB. I still think someone throwing for more than 55 TD's in a season may not happen either, another Peyton record.

I think it is likely that it will happen again.   

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think another QB can win with 2 different teams. Brady has a shot this year and Rodgers will also have chances when he leaves GB. I also doubt Mahomes finishes in KC so he has a great chance too. I am not sure winning with  2 different teams is really that record worthy. Manning was a FA so he got to choose his team and Elway stacked the team for him. The same thing has now happened for Brady although unlike Manning he went to the NFC which would make him the first QB to win in two different conferences but still, it is not really that impressive IMO.

The 55 TDs may happen only because the regular season will soon be 17 games. I think eventually within the next decade they get to an 18 game season.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think it is likely that it will happen again.   

two could definitely happen again, Tom is still going, signed for 2 years in tampa.  

i dont think 3 will ever happen though, its probably safe from being broken but maybe some one ties it some day.  

30 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

not sure winning with  2 different teams is really that record worthy.

i bet you would care if tom did  it but peyton, nah youre a patriots fan lmao.  i know you guys dont like that one because its not yours 

someone might hit two but no one is getting it with three different teams.  will never happen 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

two could definitely happen again, Tom is still going, signed for 2 years in tampa.  

i dont think 3 will ever happen though, its probably safe from being broken but maybe some one ties it some day.  

I would agree with that.  Breaking it seems pretty far fetched but a tie seems likely.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I would agree with that.  Breaking it seems pretty far fetched but a tie seems likely.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i bet you would care if tom did  it but peyton, nah youre a patriots fan lmao.  i know you guys dont like that one because its not yours 

someone might hit two but no one is getting it with three different teams.  will never happen 

LOL. I can't stand the Patriots. I am looking forward to their demise this season more than anything else. 

I do like Brady. I am just a couple of years older than him and his career is very inspiring. I am happy he is Tampa now as I can actually root for him to win. haha  I also like Peyton a lot too. The two of them have been the best two QBs of the cap/FA era in my view. No QB has ever has as much command of an offense as those two that I have seen. 

I just don't see the relevance of winning 2 rings with 2 different teams. It is really hard to win a SB in general so winning them is bigger than the team especially when you are a FA and get to pick the team. I think if Manning was traded to a team like Montana was to the Chiefs than I would consider it a bigger achievement but he went where the GM would go all in for him. Brady just did the same thing so if he wins it is was of his choosing so to speak. The 7th ring would be FAR more impressive than the 2 teams.

16 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

LOL. I can't stand the Patriots. I am looking forward to their demise this season more than anything else. 

I do like Brady. I am just a couple of years older than him and his career is very inspiring. I am happy he is Tampa now as I can actually root for him to win. haha  I also like Peyton a lot too. The two of them have been the best two QBs of the cap/FA era in my view. No QB has ever has as much command of an offense as those two that I have seen. 

I just don't see the relevance of winning 2 rings with 2 different teams. It is really hard to win a SB in general so winning them is bigger than the team especially when you are a FA and get to pick the team. I think if Manning was traded to a team like Montana was to the Chiefs than I would consider it a bigger achievement but he went where the GM would go all in for him. Brady just did the same thing so if he wins it is was of his choosing so to speak. The 7th ring would be FAR more impressive than the 2 teams.

I too dislike the Patriots. Belichick is a great coach but I don't believe for one second he had no knowledge of the rules and what his crew has done illegally. Kraft? What a dirt bag.

I used to like Brady a lot till he destroyed his cell phone to avoid the truth to be proved or disproved. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I tend to  think in this era of free agency that another (or multiple other) QBs will win SBs with more than one team.  

The 55 TD passes is ridiculously impressive.  However, as @FortheWin pointed out, with a move to a 17 game season, I think it'll get broken.  I think it'd likely get broken even with a 16 game season at some point as the league continues to move towards a more pass-friendly league.

2 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I think another QB can win with 2 different teams. Brady has a shot this year and Rodgers will also have chances when he leaves GB. I also doubt Mahomes finishes in KC so he has a great chance too. I am not sure winning with  2 different teams is really that record worthy. Manning was a FA so he got to choose his team and Elway stacked the team for him. The same thing has now happened for Brady although unlike Manning he went to the NFC which would make him the first QB to win in two different conferences but still, it is not really that impressive IMO.

The 55 TDs may happen only because the regular season will soon be 17 games. I think eventually within the next decade they get to an 18 game season.

I think winning an SB with 2 teams is pretty record worthy.  For two reasons: (1) only 12 QBs in league history have won 2 or more overall SBs, so just winning 2 is impressive; (2) it means the QB was able to do it with multiple coaching staffs/offenses (most likely) and different groups of players.  Brady's 6 rings (and 9 SB appearances) are unreal.  Not to take anything away from him, but they all came on teams which were coached by Belichek (who IMO is the greatest coach of all time).  I always thought (and it's evidenced by his 5 MVPs) that Peyton was more valuable to his team and in large part that's due to I always felt Brady was more a product of his system than Manning (my main argument is that Matt Cassell could win 10-11 games with New England without Brady - we went from being one of the best teams in the league to the worst record when Manning missed a year).  Not saying Brady's not elite by any means, but it'd be very impressive if he wins a SB w/ Arians who is a considerably different coach than Belichek.  Likewise, it'd be remarkable if Belichek goes on and wins another SB without his HOF QB.  Of course in the era of free agency, an elite QB is not going to sign with a team he doesn't think he can win with, but still going to a new team requires him to learn a new playbook, mesh with new players and coaches, and likely change his style of play to some degree.

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think winning an SB with 2 teams is pretty record worthy.  For two reasons: (1) only 12 QBs in league history have won 2 or more overall SBs, so just winning 2 is impressive; (2) it means the QB was able to do it with multiple coaching staffs/offenses (most likely) and different groups of players.  Brady's 6 rings (and 9 SB appearances) are unreal.  Not to take anything away from him, but they all came on teams which were coached by Belichek (who IMO is the greatest coach of all time).  I always thought (and it's evidenced by his 5 MVPs) that Peyton was more valuable to his team and in large part that's due to I always felt Brady was more a product of his system than Manning (my main argument is that Matt Cassell could win 10-11 games with New England without Brady - we went from being one of the best teams in the league to the worst record when Manning missed a year).  Not saying Brady's not elite by any means, but it'd be very impressive if he wins a SB w/ Arians who is a considerably different coach than Belichek.  Likewise, it'd be remarkable if Belichek goes on and wins another SB without his HOF QB.  Of course in the era of free agency, an elite QB is not going to sign with a team he doesn't think he can win with, but still going to a new team requires him to learn a new playbook, mesh with new players and coaches, and likely change his style of play to some degree.

You do realize Brady has 3 league MVPs? LOL.  And 4 Super Bowl MVPs.  I think Belichick is a fine coach but hardly the greatest of all time. Having a QB like Brady that elevated that team AND took less money all those years is what enabled Belichick to be as successful as he has been. The Matt Cassell year is a dandy year with a great roster but I am more interested to see how he does long term now that Brady is gone. Their roster this year is shaping up to be the worst offense in the league. He will no longer have that elite QB to carry a mediocre roster.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Went to 4 superbowls with 4 different head coaches 

THIS is record worthy and unlikely to ever be broken or even tied. Also, outside of Dungy all of his HCs were below average IMO.

1 hour ago, FortheWin said:

You do realize Brady has 3 league MVPs? LOL.  And 4 Super Bowl MVPs.  I think Belichick is a fine coach but hardly the greatest of all time. Having a QB like Brady that elevated that team AND took less money all those years is what enabled Belichick to be as successful as he has been. The Matt Cassell year is a dandy year with a great roster but I am more interested to see how he does long term now that Brady is gone. Their roster this year is shaping up to be the worst offense in the league. He will no longer have that elite QB to carry a mediocre roster.

Yes, and Peyton had 5 league MVPs which probably means he was more valuable to his teams than a guy who won 3 and whose team was able to compile a winning record in a year he was injured with a QB who never played a snap in college (whereas, the Colts were predicted by many to be SB contenders and wound up going 2-14 without Peyton at the helm - subbing in a backup with no collegiate starting experience and being able to win 11 games is something that no Colt team would have been able to do during the Manning years if Peyton went down).  I also get Brady has 4 SB MVP's (QB's win the award more than any other position by far).  

I'm not sure how Belichek is 'hardly the greatest of all time.'  If he's not the greatest, he's not far off and Jim Caldwell's name isn't even coming up in the conversation for greatest coach ever (nor is Mora, Dungy, John Fox, Jack Del Rio, or Gary Kubiak).  Belichek has 6 super bowl rings and has been to the super bowl 9 times.  Since 2002 his team has been in the SB >47% of the time (that is insane, in a 20 year span to be in almost 50 percent of super bowls).  Chuck Noll had 4 SB rings, Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh had 3, no other coach in history has had more than 2 -- hard time convincing me Belichek isn't the greatest coach of all time.  He was also an absolute genius as a coordinator under Parcells with the NYG for Parcells' 2 SB rings.

Do I think Peyton would have likely won more SBs if BB was the coach? Yes, I do. 

Do I think Brady would have likely won less QBs with a different coach or in a different system? Yes, I do.

I too am interested to see how Brady and Belichek hold up now that they are separated.  The Pats have 8 guys opting out for covid reasons and certainly not their best roster on paper in many years.  Brady is going into a very good situation with arguably the best 1-2 combo at WR of his career, a good running game and is reunited with Gronk.  I tend to think Brady and Belichek are both at the end of their careers and it will be very impressive if either or both of them make it to another SB, especially if they win it.

Again, not saying Brady isn't great and right at or near the top in the GOAT argument.  Just saying he played for a team that was capable of winning 11 games with a backup QB playing the whole year (they also went 3-1 the year Brady served a 4 game suspension, 3 of those games were won by rookie QB Jacoby Brissett).  At no point in time when Peyton was here did we have a complete enough team that would be expected to win 11 games (or have a winning record for that matter).

And finally, going back to your point that winning super bowls with 2 different teams is not a great accomplishment, you're wrong.  Winning 2 superbowls in itself if a great accomplishment and puts you in the conversation with only 11 other men who have ever walked this planet.  Doing it with 2 teams with different offenses, coaching staffs, and players is remarkable.

5 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I just don't see the relevance of winning 2 rings with 2 different teams. 

i think  its relevant.  it did take the perfect storm for this to happen but you could say that about a lot of records.  i think it wont be broken and thats partly why its special, maybe someone will tie it but hasnt happened in like 100 years of football

peyton probably never leaves the colts if it wasnt for Andrew luck being there.   i doubt the team would have moved on so quickly from peyton to draft someone like say jared goff or jamies winston 

On 8/16/2020 at 12:01 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brett Favre's INT's is too hilarious lmao . I agree with all of these. I would add Peyton winning 5 League MVP's won't be broke either.

Will any QB ever go to 4 SBs with 4 different HCs again? 

That one is tough. Hard to believe we can call that such a different era. 

Archived