Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting 1964 Colt Trade

I was looking up what round Howard Mudd was drafted in the 1964 draft and came across the Colt's first round pick. It was Marv Woodson at pick 8. Strange I don't remember that as I was a huge Colt fan then and not at kid at 15 years old. Anyway , I knew Woodson never played for the Colts , so I then looked up how the Steelers obtained him. This didn't ring a bell for me either , so I guess in 1964 , I must have been more interested in girls than football. Anyway this is one heck of a ridiculous trade ...

In September of 1964, the Steelers traded kicker Lou Michaels to the Baltimore Colts in exchange for linebacker Bill Saul and running back/cornerback Marv Woodson, first-round draft pick that year out of Indiana. ... Woodson was even voted to the Pro Bowl after the 1967 season after registering 7 interceptions on defense.Jul 19, 2020

• Like 1

That just sounds like a horrible trade without hindsight, trading a kicker for Bill Saul (don't know who he is) and the 8th overall pick that year. I was born in 1987, so what do I know about football then though lol!

Lou Michaels was a lot more than just a kicker - he was a lineman who could also kick. Here's an excerpt from a 1992 newspaper article about him as he was about to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Tonight, the College Football Hall of Fame enshrines him in its elite lineup, a fitting highlight to an immensely strong and talented lineman who also punted, kicked off and cared for field goals and extra points.

In 1958, he was a first-round draft choice and spent three years each with the Los Angeles Rams and Pittsburgh Steelers and six more seasons as a Baltimore Colt. At Kentucky, it was almost illegal to let him play against mere college boys because his ability so overwhelmed the competition.

In a game with Georgia Tech, coach Bobby Dodd said Lou's 61-yard punt on the fly from the end zone was the "greatest pressure kick I've ever seen."

The only reason, as a professional, he was traded by the Rams to the Steelers and then to the Colts was because of disputes off the field. He was young, single and didn't know how to pace himself drinking beer.

In Los Angeles, he had a discussion with a policeman that brought the intervention of five other officers. Once he was subdued, they took him to his apartment rather than booking him into jail.

While a Rams rookie, he sacked John Unitas six times in a game and the tackle trying to block him is considered one of the premier offensive linemen in the history of the game -- NFL and College Football Hall of Famer Jim Parker.

Still, the Rams, after having Michaels for three years, traded him to the Steelers. Three more seasons and he was sent to Baltimore in a deal for Bill Saul and Marv Woodson.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Lou Michaels was a lot more than just a kicker - he was a lineman who could also kick. Here's an excerpt from a 1992 newspaper article about him as he was about to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Tonight, the College Football Hall of Fame enshrines him in its elite lineup, a fitting highlight to an immensely strong and talented lineman who also punted, kicked off and cared for field goals and extra points.

In 1958, he was a first-round draft choice and spent three years each with the Los Angeles Rams and Pittsburgh Steelers and six more seasons as a Baltimore Colt. At Kentucky, it was almost illegal to let him play against mere college boys because his ability so overwhelmed the competition.

In a game with Georgia Tech, coach Bobby Dodd said Lou's 61-yard punt on the fly from the end zone was the "greatest pressure kick I've ever seen."

The only reason, as a professional, he was traded by the Rams to the Steelers and then to the Colts was because of disputes off the field. He was young, single and didn't know how to pace himself drinking beer.

In Los Angeles, he had a discussion with a policeman that brought the intervention of five other officers. Once he was subdued, they took him to his apartment rather than booking him into jail.

While a Rams rookie, he sacked John Unitas six times in a game and the tackle trying to block him is considered one of the premier offensive linemen in the history of the game -- NFL and College Football Hall of Famer Jim Parker.

Still, the Rams, after having Michaels for three years, traded him to the Steelers. Three more seasons and he was sent to Baltimore in a deal for Bill Saul and Marv Woodson.

I forgot he played some DE. Looks like he was a starter for the Colts in 1965 and 66.