Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good insight in colts camp

CR91

14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I love how everyone is just pointing towards how a team needs a backup QB and doesn't want to answer my questions. Can Brissett get us to the playoffs? Is Brissett our future QB? As far as the broncos goes, he made a play which was fantastic, but let's not act like broncos were a good team. We should have beat them. 

Honestly, Brissett will only get us to the playoffs if A.) Rivers only is down for a game or two, or B.) The team is good enough around him now to carry us.

Most backup QBs are not good enough to carry teams to the playoffs. Eason isn't ready. What I would do is have a short leash on Brissett in the event Rivers goes down for a long period of time. If he plays 2-3 games like the second half last year, start Chad Kelly. If Brissett figures it out, keep him in and let him audition for another team next year so we can get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him (hopefully).

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

You want me to discuss all the times the defense would get a turnover only for the offense to go three and out or only three games where he threw for 300 yards? You really are gonna sit there and tell me Brissett was the reason for our 5-2 start?

Nope. Just a armchair GM haha

So after all is said and done this thread has been turned BY YOU into yet another Jacoby SUCKS thread.   Well done.

Kindly take it up with Chris Ballard.   Otherwise I don’t know what else to tell you. 

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I love how everyone is just pointing towards how a team needs a backup QB and doesn't want to answer my questions. Can Brissett get us to the playoffs? Is Brissett our future QB? As far as the broncos goes, he made a play which was fantastic, but let's not act like broncos were a good team. We should have beat them. 

Honestly not sure in a 16 game season JB could get us to the playoffs? He was 7-7 last year though starting and finishing games so not far from it, but he isn't franchise a QB that I will agree with you on. Also the whole point is that he matters, you said he didn't and you are deflecting from it. He matters because if Rivers goes down for a game or 2 he can step in and win those games.

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So after all is said and done this thread has been turned BY YOU into yet another Jacoby SUCKS thread.   Well done.

Kindly take it up with Chris Ballard.   Otherwise I don’t know what else to tell you. 

Sorry about that. Got carried away

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Honestly not sure in a 16 game season JB could get us to the playoffs? He was 7-7 last year though starting and finishing games so not far from it, but he isn't franchise a QB that I will agree with you on. Also the whole point is that he matters, you said he didn't and you are deflecting from it. He matters because if Rivers goes down for a game or 2 he can step in and win those games.

Because you guys are talking about a backup prospective. Fine I agree you need a good backup. I'm talking about from a win now and in the future prospective.

I always thought this was a given.  Rivers > Brissett > Kelly and Eason.  Brissett has value to this team even though he isn't the most "gifted" QB.  Whether he will be re-signed is anybody's guess, and quite possibly even Ballard doesn't know yet, so I'm not sure how any of us could know.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Because you guys are talking about a backup prospective. Fine I agree you need a good backup. I'm talking about from a win now and in the future prospective.

What if Rivers has us at 8-4, gets injured for 3 games and then JB has to come in? He then steps in and wins a key game getting us into the playoffs while Rivers recovers. JB is capable of doing so. So regarding this year he matters if something happens like that. Is JB our future, I would say no but I am only looking at 2020. I take it 1 year at a time and in 2020 JB could become very important. If Rivers plays all 16 games then your point makes 100% sense but we don't know if Rivers will.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What if Rivers has us at 8-4, gets injured for 3 games and then JB has to come in? He then steps in and wins a key game getting us into the playoffs while Rivers recovers. JB is capable of doing so. So regarding this year he matters if something happens like that. Is JB our future, I would say no but I am only looking at 2020. I take it 1 year at a time and in 2020 JB could become very important. If Rivers plays all 16 games then your point makes 100% sense but we don't know if Rivers will.

If Rivers is injured at 8-4, I would rather see Kelly in there at QB.

Kelly can do more than Brissett...Brissett will just dump off, hand off, and throw short crossing routes and get another 30th ranked passing rating.

1 minute ago, CanuckColt said:

If Rivers is injured at 8-4, I would rather see Kelly in there at QB.

Kelly can do more than Brissett...Brissett will just dump off, hand off, and throw short crossing routes and get another 30th ranked passing rating.

and for all we know Kelly may play like Painter and give us no chance.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

And if we're 2-6? Does Brissett matter then? No because everyone is gonna want Eason to start because they know what their getting from Brissett.

On 8/15/2020 at 5:05 PM, crazycolt1 said:

You cant rule out any of the QBs doing anything . That is why competition between all of them happens. 

Just because there are members in this forum who dislike Brissett does not mean Ballard and Reich follow that mindset. The Colts were not looking for a QB in the draft or they would have picked one earlier than the 4th round. 

The Colts were obviously looking for a QB in the draft, which is likely why they drafted one.  

After Burrows (and arguably Tua) there was a significant drop off in QB talent in this past draft.  Those guys seemingly the only 2 (assuming Tua's healthy) as locks to be franchise QBs.  I don't think Cincy was going to give away the chance for Burrows at any value and the price we would have had to pay to move up for Tua would've been astronomical.  We had a lot of other needs, which were pointed out throughout last season (our WR depth and talent level were lacking, for example).  Eason is a project QB with a very strong arm and bringing him into a system where he can spent a year or more learning from a veteran (likely HOF) QB is a very good situation for him....  just because we didn't reach for a QB or trade away a ton of picks to move up and grab one, doesn't by any means indicate we weren't looking for a QB in the draft... if we weren't looking for a QB, then a QB wouldn't have been drafted.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And if we're 2-6? Does Brissett matter then? No because everyone is gonna want Eason to start because they know what their getting from Brissett.

If we are 2-6 then at that point the season is probably over so yeah experiment with Kelly or Eason. If we are in a playoff race I want JB though if Rivers sits out a game or 2.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we are 2-6 then at that point the season is probably over so yeah experiment with Kelly or Eason. If we are in a playoff race I want JB though if Rivers sits out a game or 2.

Ok, but that's what I'm trying to say. You guys are only seeing it from a backup prospective if we're winning. If we're losing, no one cares about Brissett because no one is gonna want him to start.

Brissett truthers are out strong I see.  

Jacoby will be on the team, but more of a throwing bad money at good and Colts brass seem to like him as a person so throwing him multi-millions as a going away present.    If they still thought highly of him as a starter, Rivers wouldn’t be here.  Simple as that.  

3 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Jacoby will be on the team, but more of a throwing bad money at good and Colts brass seem to like him as a person so throwing him multi-millions as a going away present.    If they still thought highly of him as a starter, Rivers wouldn’t be here.  Simple as that.  

Not 1 person is saying he is better than Rivers so quit saying "Brissett truthers" lmao . He matters though as a clutch backup. I am glad we have Rivers who is an upgrade.

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not necessarily true.  We went 1-5 to start 2018 and fought back to make the playoffs winning 9 of 10 to finish the season.  We also don't necessarily have a very difficult schedule or a very strong conference (it was won last year by a 10-6 team who we split the season with and who has a more challenging schedule than us this year).  I expect the Jags to still stink this year, but that it'll come down to 9-7 being able to get into the wildcard and potentially win the AFC South (between Indy, Houston and Tennessee).  I think we have made the most improvements based on off-season moves (not just the addition of Rivers but adding skill players and depth to positions of need).  

Six of our 9 losses last year were by one score or less.  At least 3 of them can be blamed partially or fully on poor kicking.  After leading us to a 5-2 start, there were people talking about Jacoby being a pro-bowler last year.  He got hurt, we lost 2 games with Hoyer at the helm, and Jacoby didn't look the same the rest of the year (how much was that actually on him playing hurt? we don't know).  He also lost his WR2 in week 1, missed TY for 6 weeks (5 games we lost), missed Ebron (who quit on the team seemingly), missed Campbell, lost Fountain to injury before the season (so at this point, we're talking the top 4 WRs on the roster in training camp all missed time and so did our top receiving TE) and wasn't exactly getting consistently stellar play from the D or STs throughout the year.  He proved he could keep us in games and that we could win with him at the helm  even with a limited supporting cast.  This year, we have added Burton as a TE to compliment Doyle, plus have added Pittman, should have Campbell back, added Taylor and should (barring health) be deeper overall at WR.

Brissett is also well liked by teammates and said to be a solid leader.  He's making $20mil +.  If we are not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and Reich/Ballard/Sirianni decide to experiment with a rookie (Eason) or a practice squad guy (Kelly) over a veteran who many in the locker room have won games with (JB) it'd be Reich and the FO telling the rest of the team that they gave up on them (unless somehow Kelly or Eason totally outperform JB in camp and the other players see it) and would likely result in significant changes among the coaching staff and perhaps front office.

Additionally, it's highly unlikely both Kelly and Eason make the final roster.  If Eason makes the final roster and is mainly on their for the purpose of grooming him under Rivers and avoiding him getting snagged off waivers, it doesn't mean he is ready to take on the role of a full time starter as a rookie (physically and/or mentally).  While it's not unheard of to see QBs who struggled mightly as rookies (e.g., Peyton Manning) and went on to have successful NFL careers, but there are also QBs who may have drastic negative impacts to their development by being thrown into the fire before they're ready.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I 100% agree, unless somehow Eason really shocks the world in camp and is significantly better than JB.  I can totally see 9-7 being a wildcard team and 10-6 or 11-5 winning the division.  So unless we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I'd be pretty bummed to see our $20 million back-up on the sidelines if Rivers went down.

5 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Not necessarily true.  We went 1-5 to start 2018 and fought back to make the playoffs winning 9 of 10 to finish the season.  We also don't necessarily have a very difficult schedule or a very strong conference (it was won last year by a 10-6 team who we split the season with and who has a more challenging schedule than us this year).  I expect the Jags to still stink this year, but that it'll come down to 9-7 being able to get into the wildcard and potentially win the AFC South (between Indy, Houston and Tennessee).  I think we have made the most improvements based on off-season moves (not just the addition of Rivers but adding skill players and depth to positions of need).  

Six of our 9 losses last year were by one score or less.  At least 3 of them can be blamed partially or fully on poor kicking.  After leading us to a 5-2 start, there were people talking about Jacoby being a pro-bowler last year.  He got hurt, we lost 2 games with Hoyer at the helm, and Jacoby didn't look the same the rest of the year (how much was that actually on him playing hurt? we don't know).  He also lost his WR2 in week 1, missed TY for 6 weeks (5 games we lost), missed Ebron (who quit on the team seemingly), missed Campbell, lost Fountain to injury before the season (so at this point, we're talking the top 4 WRs on the roster in training camp all missed time and so did our top receiving TE) and wasn't exactly getting consistently stellar play from the D or STs throughout the year.  He proved he could keep us in games and that we could win with him at the helm  even with a limited supporting cast.  This year, we have added Burton as a TE to compliment Doyle, plus have added Pittman, should have Campbell back, added Taylor and should (barring health) be deeper overall at WR.

Brissett is also well liked by teammates and said to be a solid leader.  He's making $20mil +.  If we are not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and Reich/Ballard/Sirianni decide to experiment with a rookie (Eason) or a practice squad guy (Kelly) over a veteran who many in the locker room have won games with (JB) it'd be Reich and the FO telling the rest of the team that they gave up on them (unless somehow Kelly or Eason totally outperform JB in camp and the other players see it) and would likely result in significant changes among the coaching staff and perhaps front office.

Additionally, it's highly unlikely both Kelly and Eason make the final roster.  If Eason makes the final roster and is mainly on their for the purpose of grooming him under Rivers and avoiding him getting snagged off waivers, it doesn't mean he is ready to take on the role of a full time starter as a rookie (physically and/or mentally).  While it's not unheard of to see QBs who struggled mightly as rookies (e.g., Peyton Manning) and went on to have successful NFL careers, but there are also QBs who may have drastic negative impacts to their development by being thrown into the fire before they're ready.

I 100% agree, unless somehow Eason really shocks the world in camp and is significantly better than JB.  I can totally see 9-7 being a wildcard team and 10-6 or 11-5 winning the division.  So unless we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, I'd be pretty bummed to see our $20 million back-up on the sidelines if Rivers went down.

Do you have any idea how rare that was to happen? Also it's not like we have Andrew Luck at QB anymore

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yeah 2-6 would be bad, we were 1-5 in 2018 but we had Luck who was a top 5-7 QB that season. Luck is capable of reeling off 5 or 6 wins in a row that is how great he was. If we are at 4-4 lets say and Rivers has to sit out 2 games, I would want JB as well in that situation. 2-6 is probably a loss cause because that means Rivers isn't cutting the mustard and is just old. IMO, there is no way we start 2-6 though with the roster we have. If we do than Frank needs to be on the hot seat but Frank won't start 2-6 with a healthy Rivers.

22 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ok, but that's what I'm trying to say. You guys are only seeing it from a backup prospective if we're winning. If we're losing, no one cares about Brissett because no one is gonna want him to start.

I think when you're saying 'no one cares about Brissett because no one is gonna want him  to start' you are making assumptions about a lot of people on this board and failing to take into account the other players on this team.  If we're not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, you don't think guys like Darius Leonard, TY, Doyle and other veterans on this team who have won games w/ Jacoby are going to want the QB who gives them the best chance to win starting games over an unproven rookie (Eason) or a practice squad guy (Kelly)?  

I know if I was on the team, I'd want to play with the guy who I thought gave me the best chance to win every week.  Not saying Kelly or Eason can't/won't outperform Jacoby in camp, but as of now he's our 2nd best QB.  If Reich decides to run an experiment instead of going with the guy who gives him the best odds at winning should a backup be needed, that's a very easy way to lose faith of the locker room (especially the veterans) and subsequently lose your job as HC.

17 minutes ago, Nate! said:

This is Ballard's 4th year here.  He has missed the playoffs twice (granted weird scenarios with him having to keep Pagano in year 1 and losing Luck before the season last year).  He seems to like his job as a GM.  Having 3 losing seasons in 4 years in a division which is not a powerhouse in the NFL (i.e., we aren't competing for the AFC South title with the Patriots, Chiefs, etc.), is potential grounds for firing.  Irsay wants to win, the fans of Indy are used to winning (we got lucky having all the Manning and early Luck years in a row), the players on the team want to win and you can bet Ballard, Reich and others want to win.  

I see Rivers as a win-now move, and it makes sense being that he's got experience w/ Reich and Sirianni, still is playing good ball and is likely a HOFer.  It was the best decision for the team to win now.  Last year, with Luck announcing retirement in pre-season, our best chance of winning was to keep Brissett.  Reasonably, Ballard gave him starter's money for 2 years to see how he worked out.  He had his ups and downs last year, and the media would be all over Indy if a QB change wasn't made and the Colts had another year like last year.  I don't think it means Brissett will never start again in this league though, and wouldn't be shocked if he did someday start in Indy (with Rivers being on a yearlong contract).  

8 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think when you're saying 'no one cares about Brissett because no one is gonna want him  to start' you are making assumptions about a lot of people on this board and failing to take into account the other players on this team.  If we're not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, you don't think guys like Darius Leonard, TY, Doyle and other veterans on this team who have won games w/ Jacoby are going to want the QB who gives them the best chance to win starting games over an unproven rookie (Eason) or a practice squad guy (Kelly)?  

I know if I was on the team, I'd want to play with the guy who I thought gave me the best chance to win every week.  Not saying Kelly or Eason can't/won't outperform Jacoby in camp, but as of now he's our 2nd best QB.  If Reich decides to run an experiment instead of going with the guy who gives him the best odds at winning should a backup be needed, that's a very easy way to lose faith of the locker room (especially the veterans) and subsequently lose your job as HC.

This is Ballard's 4th year here.  He has missed the playoffs twice (granted weird scenarios with him having to keep Pagano in year 1 and losing Luck before the season last year).  He seems to like his job as a GM.  Having 3 losing seasons in 4 years in a division which is not a powerhouse in the NFL (i.e., we aren't competing for the AFC South title with the Patriots, Chiefs, etc.), is potential grounds for firing.  Irsay wants to win, the fans of Indy are used to winning (we got lucky having all the Manning and early Luck years in a row), the players on the team want to win and you can bet Ballard, Reich and others want to win.  

I see Rivers as a win-now move, and it makes sense being that he's got experience w/ Reich and Sirianni, still is playing good ball and is likely a HOFer.  It was the best decision for the team to win now.  Last year, with Luck announcing retirement in pre-season, our best chance of winning was to keep Brissett.  Reasonably, Ballard gave him starter's money for 2 years to see how he worked out.  He had his ups and downs last year, and the media would be all over Indy if a QB change wasn't made and the Colts had another year like last year.  I don't think it means Brissett will never start again in this league though, and wouldn't be shocked if he did someday start in Indy (with Rivers being on a yearlong contract).  

It's happened before where an unproven player takes the job over the vet. Prescott, Wilson, Kap, Mahomes, Jackson. I'm sure the locker room didn't like those decisions at that time either, but history tells you they were right. Look I don't know what Eason is or what he will be. No one does, but I do know Brissett is not our future no matter how many times the colts wanna tell us about his leadership or how much he's liked. None of that matters if you can't play.

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Do you have any idea how rare that was to happen? Also it's not like we have Andrew Luck at QB anymore

It's not that rare for teams to win 10 games in a season. Starting off 1-5 and coming back may be rare .. but with our division and our schedule, I don't think it's remotely impossible to win 7 or 8 of ten games in a row at any point in the year (and as I said, I think 9-7 has a good chance of earning a wildcard in the AFC this year -- so if we're 2-6 to start, we'd need to win 7 of 10 to finish).  And yes, obviously we don't have Luck anymore, I'm not sure why you felt the need to point that out... fact of the matter is, in 6 of our 9 losses last year we were within 1 score and we had a weaker roster around whoever our QB is this year (assuming this year's roster stays healthy).  If Brissett went in at starter and we were 2-6, and lost 2-3 games in a row, then sure, switch him out, especially if he's playing poorly.  If not, there's no reason to believe we'd have a better chance of winning with a rookie or Chad Kelly than w/ Brissett.

All that said, if we start 2-6 that means we'd have to lose 6 games in a stretch of schedule that includes Jax, NYJ, Cincy, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago as well as Baltimore and Minnesota (the latter of the two being very tough games to win).  At that point, we're likely talking about firing coaches and questioning Ballard's future as GM in Indy.  

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah 2-6 would be bad, we were 1-5 in 2018 but we had Luck who was a top 5-7 QB that season. Luck is capable of reeling off 5 or 6 wins in a row that is how great he was. If we are at 4-4 lets say and Rivers has to sit out 2 games, I would want JB as well in that situation. 2-6 is probably a loss cause because that means Rivers isn't cutting the mustard and is just old. IMO, there is no way we start 2-6 though with the roster we have. If we do than Frank needs to be on the hot seat but Frank won't start 2-6 with a healthy Rivers.

Yes, we're not going to start the season 2-6 in all likelihood.  And yes, Luck was an elite QB when he was healthy.... that said, he's not the only QB who can pull of 5 or 6 wins in a row -- Brissett last year from weeks 2-7 won 4 out of 5 and lost one by one score.  We lost at least 3 games last year due to our place kicker.  Brissett missed his WR1 for 6 games and TY was obviously limping in several games he played in, he missed his WR2 for 15+ games, his #1 receiving TE for the last portion of the season... I'm pretty confident with improvements to this team (both on O and D) and with a fully healthy Brissett, we'd have a pretty good chance of having a winning record with him as QB (literally, had we made kicks in 3 or 4 games the 2019 Colts could have been 10-6 or 11-5 with a severely injured roster).  And who knows had Brissett been in the Pitts or Miami game (a 2 point game and a 4 point game) instead of Hoyer, maybe we'd have won them and been a winning team last year.

My point is, several guys on this current team were part of that run in 2018.  If they have a shot at making the playoffs, they're going to want to do what's best for the team to win to get there.  At this point, if Rivers went down, in all likelihood Brissett who was our team captain last year, is likely our best option to win.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's happened before where an unproven player takes the job over the vet. Prescott, Wilson, Kap, Mahomes, Jackson. I'm sure the locker room didn't like those decisions at that time either, but history tells you they were right. Look I don't know what Eason is or what he will be. No one does, but I do know Brissett is not our future no matter how many times the colts wanna tell us about his leadership or how much he's liked. None of that matters if you can't play.

In most of those instances, the unproven player (throw Brady into that category) was winning games for his team and doing so consistently and in several of them it took an injury to the proven player for the unknown to get his chance.  

The coaches and the players who practice with Eason, Brissett, Kelly, and Rivers every day are the ones who will have the best ability to determine who would give them the best chance to win.  Maybe Eason outperforms Brissett in camp and gives the coaches and his teammates reason to believe he'd be a better option than Brissett to win games-- I tend to doubt that in year 1.  

I'm not saying Brissett is our future.  I am saying, Brissett can play though and his teammates know that.  If you were a teammate of his and saw he was performing better than Eason and Kelly throughout camp and in regular season practices and Rivers got injured before you were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, the only reason you'd want somebody besides Brissett to be his replacement would be if you wanted to lose.  Same goes for any other position and for other sports (let's say a team loses their ace pitcher in baseball, you think the vets on the team are going to say 'let's bring up some unknown from the minors and put our next best guy on the bench to fix this problem'?  No, their not unless they are losers - so your argument doesn't make sense until this team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention).

59 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

In most of those instances, the unproven player (throw Brady into that category) was winning games for his team and doing so consistently and in several of them it took an injury to the proven player for the unknown to get his chance.  

The coaches and the players who practice with Eason, Brissett, Kelly, and Rivers every day are the ones who will have the best ability to determine who would give them the best chance to win.  Maybe Eason outperforms Brissett in camp and gives the coaches and his teammates reason to believe he'd be a better option than Brissett to win games-- I tend to doubt that in year 1.  

I'm not saying Brissett is our future.  I am saying, Brissett can play though and his teammates know that.  If you were a teammate of his and saw he was performing better than Eason and Kelly throughout camp and in regular season practices and Rivers got injured before you were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, the only reason you'd want somebody besides Brissett to be his replacement would be if you wanted to lose.  Same goes for any other position and for other sports (let's say a team loses their ace pitcher in baseball, you think the vets on the team are going to say 'let's bring up some unknown from the minors and put our next best guy on the bench to fix this problem'?  No, their not unless they are losers - so your argument doesn't make sense until this team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention).

Those who choose to rag on Brissett and blame him for the faults of the Colts last season are not going to consider your opinion. 

It don't matter the why of things to them, they want their scapegoat. 

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Those who choose to rag on Brissett and blame him for the faults of the Colts last season are not going to consider your opinion. 

IOW - haters gonna hate

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

JB got thrown in as a starter at the last second. Luck as much I loved him should be blamed for last season. He quit 2 weeks before the season. I am a huge Luck fan but he put JB in a tough spot. JB still had us in playoff contention late in the season but had some bad games, it happens.

On 8/15/2020 at 10:54 PM, Fat Clemenza said:

I think you are overthinking this. Rivers was brought in as a better starting option than Brisett, who the Colts still like and have faith in, especially as a backup. 

Ballard wants to win now, this year, which means Eason or Kelly ain't getting the keys if Rivers goes down for a game or two.  

A lot of people are done w Brisett and his lack of upside and I get that, but baring a trade he's definitely our #2 QB.

If I'm wrong and Ballard cuts him I promise I'll change my avatar to a pic of Swag!

Agree.  And i think its common sense. 
JB is a good backup to Rivers, especially in a pandemic year.  Lets not forget Rivers has like 20 kids which could increase his chances of Getting  covid. (A reach, i know)

I also think because most of JBs contract is locked, the extra (savings from cutting) money for him kinda makes sense for this uear.  Add in Rivers age and its not surprising JB is still here.  Now, if one of the orher QBs shows they can be a LEGITIMATE backup for 2020, maybe we trade or cut JB.  But, after losing Luck and Ballard having to scramble for a QB, i dont see him putting the team at that risk again.

Ballard actually addressed just that and basically said he’d never get in that position again.

Sure, we dont see JB as the future, but who knows, a year later, and healthy.... JB could very well improve to put himself in position for life after Rivers.  Stranger things have happened in this league.

Sorry, but I can't see Rivers being the savior everybody seems to think he is--a once quality QB who is well past his best.  I don't think JB is the answer either, although Garappolo showed you don't need a superstar QB to reach the SB. I just wonder if we might be looking at getting a quality QB in next year's draft, and develop Eason as a backup

9 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I just wonder if we might be looking at getting a quality QB in next year's draft

I could be wrong, bu I think there is next to no chance we take another QB next year. 

That is because I am unwilling to consider us drafting high enough for that to even matter. 

On 8/16/2020 at 5:05 AM, CR91 said:

No point in cutting him now anyway. His salary is guaranteed. My point is, Brissett's present and future in Indy is already written on the wall. They brought Rivers in because he can run the offense better then Brissett and then he's gone after this season. 

Perhaps...

On 8/16/2020 at 2:10 PM, Hoose said:

Honestly, very few teams in the NFL today could win many games with their backup QB. The backup is there to fill in, and start in an emergency. If you’re countIng on your backup to lead you to the Promised Land, it’s a rare guy that can do that. It’s happened, but not often. 
So all this talk about JB not making the team better? That’ s in the eye of the beholder. He’s a placeholder to get the team through a few games if the #1 is out. If he can do that effectively, which I believe he can, then he makes the team better. 

This. So much this.

@CR91 Brissett matters FOR NOW because we aren't out of the playoffs yet.  He's an insurance policy on Rivers, that's it.  It's not like you would be unhappy to watch Brissett pull a Foles and get us a :lombardi: after Rivers got us to the playoffs but got injured in week 15.  haha

@Jared Cisneros we can disagree about this, but Brissett has earned the money he's being paid this year (Luck did too IMO, but that's a different topic), and it doesn't affect the Colts negatively in any way.  We could still go out and get the most expensive FA on the market THIS YEAR if we wanted to (or even a handful of role-players).

And Jacoby might not be the elite QB we all want, but he is the type of MAN you want on your team.  He says and does everything the right way, at least off the field and in the locker room.  He is a team-first guy.  He has had to deal with very difficult trial-by-fire situations, and he has done it with a humble smile on his face.  :thmup:

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

@CR91 Brissett matters FOR NOW because we aren't out of the playoffs yet.  He's an insurance policy on Rivers, that's it.  It's not like you would be unhappy to watch Brissett pull a Foles and get us a :lombardi: after Rivers got us to the playoffs but got injured in week 15.  haha

@Jared Cisneros we can disagree about this, but Brissett has earned the money he's being paid this year (Luck did too IMO, but that's a different topic), and it doesn't affect the Colts negatively in any way.  We could still go out and get the most expensive FA on the market THIS YEAR if we wanted to (or even a handful of role-players).

And Jacoby might not be the elite QB we all want, but he is the type of MAN you want on your team.  He says and does everything the right way, at least off the field and in the locker room.  He is a team-first guy.  He has had to deal with very difficult trial-by-fire situations, and he has done it with a humble smile on his face.  :thmup:

We'll disagree on the first paragraph and agree on the second. We have around 20 million in cap space, but I'm not 100% convinced Ballard doesn't just want to rollover cap because of next year's salary cap possibly decreasing and us having to re-sign players from the 2017 class. If we had another 15 million (that would mean Brissett would have a regular backup QB contract) I believe Ballard would of been more aggressive making moves fixing our O-Line depth and possibly getting an edge-rusher like Clowney. It makes more of a difference then you think. However, we'll never know unless he admits in an interview or something.

Brissett is a very good backup QB, I just wish he was paid like a backup QB. Luckily, it'll only matter for this year.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If we had another 15 million (that would mean Brissett would have a regular backup QB contract) I believe Ballard would of been more aggressive making moves fixing our O-Line depth and possibly getting an edge-rusher like Clowney.

That's what I mean, though.  We have the money to sign any FA OLineman, possibly a few, maybe Clowney on top of that if his price drops.  And while Clowney would be an exciting signing, he might be a hindrance to both our locker room and the development of guys like Turay and Banogu.

What OLinemen would you sign to "fix" our depth?  Remember we're getting Patterson back, drafted Pinter, and still have Clark.  That's 3 backups for the 5 starters.

Who do you think would sign with us to be a backup?  I have a feeling most of the remaining FA OLinemen are wanting starter money to be starters.  And if they're willing to be backups, they probably aren't going to be much of an upgrade over those 3 backups I listed, and would demand more money...  :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's what I mean, though.  We have the money to sign any FA OLineman, possibly a few, maybe Clowney on top of that if his price drops.  And while Clowney would be an exciting signing, he might be a hindrance to both our locker room and the development of guys like Turay and Banogu.

What OLinemen would you sign to "fix" our depth?  Remember we're getting Patterson back, drafted Pinter, and still have Clark.  That's 3 backups for the 5 starters.

Who do you think would sign with us to be a backup?  I have a feeling most of the remaining FA OLinemen are wanting starter money to be starters.  And if they're willing to be backups, they probably aren't going to be much of an upgrade over those 3 backups I listed, and would demand more money...  :dunno:

I would of offered Joe Haeg a decent contract to stay, Brian Winters a contract after he got released from the Jets, Evan Boehm a contract to come back to play with us. If we had signed these guys or Clowney with our current cap and Brissett's current contract, then we'd have little cap space left for emergencies during the season. You have to leave yourself room to maneuver, that's why Ballard isn't signing anyone else.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would of offered Joe Haeg a decent contract to stay, Brian Winters a contract after he got released from the Jets, Evan Boehm a contract to come back to play with us. If we had signed these guys or Clowney with our current cap and Brissett's current contract, then we'd have little cap space left for emergencies during the season. You have to leave yourself room to maneuver, that's why Ballard isn't signing anyone else.

I don't think Boehm is an upgrade, and while I'd take Haeg over Clark, for the age-vs-cost of Haeg and Winters, I'd rather see what Patterson and Pinter can do while on their rookie contracts.

We trust Ballards' drafting, right?

I'd rather give his picks a chance while they're on a cheap rookie contract, including Turay and Banogu.  I wouldn't be opposed to signing Clowney, but I don't think he's necessarily the "missing piece" either.  :thmup:

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I don't think Boehm is an upgrade, and while I'd take Haeg over Clark, for the age-vs-cost of Haeg and Winters, I'd rather see what Patterson and Pinter can do while on their rookie contracts.

We trust Ballards' drafting, right?

I'd rather give his picks a chance while they're on a cheap rookie contract, including Turay and Banogu.  I wouldn't be opposed to signing Clowney, but I don't think he's necessarily the "missing piece" either.  :thmup:

I trust Ballard's drafting. Clark isn't a Ballard pick though, and Patterson is a 7th round pick with a torn ACL last season. I love Pinter, but I'd still like some other options honestly. Clowney may not be needed, but I think he can get 8-10 sacks and stop the run. I guess I'm nitpicking, but as a perfectionist, that's what I do! haha 

Archived