Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good insight in colts camp

CR91

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Yes.  He absolutely matters.

Now? No not really unless Rivers gets hurt or stinks. Future? No not really unless he wants to hold a clip board his whole career because that's all he's doing in Indy. You don't bring in two QBs otherwise.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Now? No not really unless Rivers gets hurt or stinks. Future? No not really unless he wants to hold a clip board his whole career because that's all he's doing in Indy. You don't bring in two QBs otherwise.

You cant rule out any of the QBs doing anything . That is why competition between all of them happens. 

Just because there are members in this forum who dislike Brissett does not mean Ballard and Reich follow that mindset. The Colts were not looking for a QB in the draft or they would have picked one earlier than the 4th round. 

55 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You cant rule out any of the QBs doing anything . That is why competition between all of them happens. 

Just because there are members in this forum who dislike Brissett does not mean Ballard and Reich follow that mindset. The Colts were not looking for a QB in the draft or they would have picked one earlier than the 4th round. 

You don't know the colts weren't looking for a QB in the draft. Like I said, you don't bring in two QBs if the colts have confidence in Brissett.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You don't know the colts weren't looking for a QB in the draft. Like I said, you don't bring in two QBs if the colts have confidence in Brissett.

That is your thoughts. 

That does not mean Ballard and Reich think like that. 

Ballard was just covering his tail no matter how it turns out. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is your thoughts. 

That does not mean Ballard and Reich think like that. 

Ballard was just covering his tail no matter how it turns out. 

Ok then tell me this, why bring in Rivers? What purpose does that serve if the colts still believe in Brissett

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Ok then tell me this, why bring in Rivers? What purpose does that serve if the colts still believe in Brissett

I think you are overthinking this. Rivers was brought in as a better starting option than Brisett, who the Colts still like and have faith in, especially as a backup. 

Ballard wants to win now, this year, which means Eason or Kelly ain't getting the keys if Rivers goes down for a game or two.  

A lot of people are done w Brisett and his lack of upside and I get that, but baring a trade he's definitely our #2 QB.

If I'm wrong and Ballard cuts him I promise I'll change my avatar to a pic of Swag!

8 minutes ago, Fat Clemenza said:

I think you are overthinking this. Rivers was brought in as a better starting option than Brisett, who the Colts still like and have faith in, especially as a backup. 

Ballard wants to win now, this year, which means Eason or Kelly ain't getting the keys if Rivers goes down for a game or two.  

A lot of people are done w Brisett and his lack of upside and I get that, but baring a trade he's definitely our #2 QB.

If I'm wrong and Ballard cuts him I promise I'll change my avatar to a pic of Swag!

No point in cutting him now anyway. His salary is guaranteed. My point is, Brissett's present and future in Indy is already written on the wall. They brought Rivers in because he can run the offense better then Brissett and then he's gone after this season. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Unless the NFL is going to flag football this year to cut down on injuries, then YES,  our backup QB still matters.....

I'm guessing you didn't read my other posts defending my point.

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm guessing you didn't read my other posts defending my point.

None of your other posts change my view.

You actually stated “unless Rivers gets hurt or stinks” and then pretended that none of that matters!  It’s entirely possible that Rivers could get hurt or could stink.   It may not be likely but it IS possible. 

So, yes, whether you want to acknowledge JB or not, he DOES matter.   He’s the backup, and as long as he is, then he matters.   Sorry. 

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You actually stated “unless Rivers gets hurt or stinks” and then pretended that none of that matters!  It’s entirely possible that Rivers could get hurt or could stink.   It may not be likely but it IS possible. 

So, yes, whether you want to acknowledge JB or not, he DOES matter.   He’s the backup, and as long as he is, then he matters.   Sorry. 

As much as I dislike Brissett. I agree with you here. If Rivers goes down for a game or two, we need Brissett. If the coronavirus takes out a QB or two throughout the season, we need Brissett. If Rivers completely collapses, we might or might not use Brissett (depending on Ballard and Reich). I don't want him after this year, but for this year, and what we're paying him, and for the fact he's auditioning for other teams in the future, it'd be wise to get the most out of him for one more year.

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And then what? We're right back to the same problem. No QB to lead this franchise. The idea of a backup QB is important, but that doesn't mean Brissett changes the situation this team is in. That's my point and that's what I mean when I say Brissett doesn't matter. 

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As much as I dislike Brissett. I agree with you here. If Rivers goes down for a game or two, we need Brissett. If the coronavirus takes out a QB or two throughout the season, we need Brissett. If Rivers completely collapses, we might or might not use Brissett (depending on Ballard and Reich). I don't want him after this year, but for this year, and what we're paying him, and for the fact he's auditioning for other teams in the future, it'd be wise to get the most out of him for one more year.

But does he make this team better? Are we better off with Brissett starting if Rivers fails to deliver. The simple answer is no.

37 minutes ago, CR91 said:

But does he make this team better? Are we better off with Brissett starting if Rivers fails to deliver. The simple answer is no.

What?   False.   100% false. 

Of course it’s better if we start JB instead of kelly or Eason.   The other two likely won’t be ready.   Just because you’re more curious about the two kids doesn’t mean we’re better off playing them over JB.   

Niw maybe it’s different if it’s week 15, and we’ve been eliminated from the playoffs and we’re likely picking in the top 12 in the draft. In that scenario then I’d agree.   Play the kids and let’s get some idea of what we have.   But as long as the season is still legit and up for grabs, THEN having JB is the absolute way to go.   That’s the whole point of having him on the roster.    

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What?   False.   100% false. 

Of course it’s better if we start JB instead of kelly or Eason.   The other two likely won’t be ready.   Just because you’re more curious about the two kids doesn’t mean we’re better off playing them over JB.   

Niw maybe it’s different if it’s week 15, and we’ve been eliminated from the playoffs and we’re likely picking in the top 12 in the draft. In that scenario then I’d agree.   Play the kids and let’s get some idea of what we have.   But as long as the season is still legit and up for grabs, THEN having JB is the absolute way to go.   That’s the whole point of having him on the roster.    

Your still missing my point. Does he make the team better if Rivers gets hurt or fails to deliver.

35 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Your still missing my point. Does he make the team better if Rivers gets hurt or fails to deliver.

I’m not missing anything.   I’ve stated it over and over in this thread and countless others....

As long as the season is in play, the Colts are absolutely better with JB as the backup.   Rivers gets hurt and misses 2-4 weeks and the best player to start is Jacoby Brissett.   

We’re only playing Eason or Kelly if we’re eliminated and it’s time to check out the kids. 

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

With Jacoby it's not a matter of 'like' or 'dislike'. The question is: Can he overcome certain limitations in his performance relative to other QBs on the team? The fans can't answer that question. Jacoby can't answer that question. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Honestly, very few teams in the NFL today could win many games with their backup QB. The backup is there to fill in, and start in an emergency. If you’re countIng on your backup to lead you to the Promised Land, it’s a rare guy that can do that. It’s happened, but not often. 
So all this talk about JB not making the team better? That’ s in the eye of the beholder. He’s a placeholder to get the team through a few games if the #1 is out. If he can do that effectively, which I believe he can, then he makes the team better. 

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

So you are saying that he does matter.

Make up your mind.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not missing anything.   I’ve stated it over and over in this thread and countless others....

As long as the season is in play, the Colts are absolutely better with JB as the backup.   Rivers gets hurt and misses 2-4 weeks and the best player to start is Jacoby Brissett.   

We’re only playing Eason or Kelly if we’re eliminated and it’s time to check out the kids. 

And then what though? What is his worth to the team if Rivers doesn't deliver? Do you think we'll make the playoffs with Brissett under center? Is he our future QB?

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

So you are saying that he does matter.

Make up your mind.

As much as a backup QB does for every other team, but that doesn't mean he makes this team better. Do you see us making the playoffs with Brissett under center?

51 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And then what though? What is his worth to the team if Rivers doesn't deliver? Do you think we'll make the playoffs with Brissett under center? Is he our future QB?

I’m not even sure you’re reading my posts because I’ve answered this already.

If Rivers is hurt, or sucks, we play JB until the team is eliminated from the playoff race.   At that point, you play the kids to see what they’ve got.    It’s as straight forward as that. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not even sure you’re reading my posts because I’ve answered this already.

If Rivers is hurt, or sucks, we play JB until the team is eliminated from the playoff race.   At that point, you play the kids to see what they’ve got.    It’s as straight forward as that. 

But how does equal to value? Are we gonna all of sudden start winning with Brissett

22 minutes ago, CR91 said:

But how does equal to value? Are we gonna all of sudden start winning with Brissett

I don’t know what you mean by value?   Why wouldn’t we win with JB?   We did last year when he was healthy.  His play dropped when he got hurt.   There was a clear and obvious “before” and “after” line that was drawn.  He was good enough to win when he was healthy and had weapons.   He wasn’t good enough when he was hurt and so were many of his weapons.  

Look....   there are no guarantees.   Maybe you’ll get your wish and JB will be traded around the cutdown day?   It’s possible, but I wouldn’t expect it.  I think the odds are higher he stays with the team.   But, depending on offer, I suppose anything is possible.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know what you mean by value?   Why wouldn’t we win with JB?   We did last year when he was healthy.  His play dropped when he got hurt.   There was a clear and obvious “before” and “after” line that was drawn.  He was good enough to win when he was healthy and had weapons.   He wasn’t good enough when he was hurt and so were many of his weapons.  

Look....   there are no guarantees.   Maybe you’ll get your wish and JB will be traded around the cutdown day?   It’s possible, but I wouldn’t expect it.  I think the odds are higher he stays with the team.   But, depending on offer, I suppose anything is possible.  

I honestly don't wanna dive into last year. It's been discussed enough. I also don't think he gets traded now anyway. There's no point salary wise.

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I honestly don't wanna dive into last year. It's been discussed enough. I also don't think he gets traded now anyway. There's no point salary wise.

Well...   if this is what you’re saying now, then I don’t know what the point of this whole conversation has been about?    I’ve tried to respond to all your points and positions and we appear to have gotten no where......

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   if this is what you’re saying now, then I don’t know what the point of this whole conversation has been about?    I’ve tried to respond to all your points and positions and we appear to have gotten no where......

IMO, bottomline JB isn't going anywhere. He matters because if Rivers goes down I trust him more than I do Eason or Kelly. I am sure the coaches do to. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Here is a scenario for the fans that like to bash Brissett to chew on--

How you gonna take it if the Colts resign Brissett to a more team friendly contract next season?

If Rivers only plays one season and the Colts go with Brissett as the starter while Eason gets his feet under him? 

Everyone just assumes Brissett will be gone next season when in reality none of us knows. 

Ballard may very well go with Brissett , who knows? 

The history of the NFL has QBs who have been written off by teams and that QB went on and even won super bowls. 

I don't have a magic crystal ball that tells me what will happen but neither do any of you.  I been around this game long enough to know that what you think you know means nothing in reality.

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Here is a scenario for the fans that like to bash Brissett to chew on--

How you gonna take it if the Colts resign Brissett to a more team friendly contract next season?

If Rivers only plays one season and the Colts go with Brissett as the starter while Eason gets his feet under him? 

Everyone just assumes Brissett will be gone next season when in reality none of us knows. 

Ballard may very well go with Brissett , who knows? 

The history of the NFL has QBs who have been written off by teams and that QB went on and even won super bowls. 

I don't have a magic crystal ball that tells me what will happen but neither do any of you.  I been around this game long enough to know that what you think you know means nothing in reality.

So we're gonna re-sign Brissett after we signed a 38 year old vet and drafted a rookie QB? That is one small ego Brissett would have.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You want me to discuss all the times the defense would get a turnover only for the offense to go three and out or only three games where he threw for 300 yards? You really are gonna sit there and tell me Brissett was the reason for our 5-2 start?

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't know. 

You and a few other seem to think you know what Ballard will do. 

Nope. Just a armchair GM haha

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You want me to discuss all the times the defense would get a turnover only for the offense to go three and out or only three games where he threw for 300 yards? You really are gonna sit there and tell me Brissett was the reason for our 5-2 start?

Nope. Just a armchair GM haha

JB is part of the reason why we were 5-2. In those 1st 7 games he did have 2 300 yard games vs the Texans and Falcons, and against Denver made plays at the end of the game to get the W. "the reason" is vague and by the way QB's always get the blame for losses and get credit for wins, it has been like that forever. I guess when it comes to JB some dismissed that in here. A QB is always part of the reason why you win or lose, they touch the ball on every down. 

Lol at not knowing how a QB room works. If you think the only thing a QB can contribute is their play on the field, you might want to educate yourself. JB is a leader. He is seriously respected in the Colts organization. He has stood tall against some really challenging stretches for this team.

Both Eason and Rivers will be asking a great many questions of JB...an rightly so. If the Colts had moved JB through a trade, or cut him as some suggested :scratch:, the Colts QB room would have been lessened considerably. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB is part of the reason why we were 5-2. In those 1st 7 games he did have 2 300 yard games vs the Texans and Falcons, and against Denver made plays at the end of the game to get the W. "the reason" is vague and by the way QB's always get the blame for losses and get credit for wins, it has been like that forever. I guess when it comes to JB some dismissed that in here. A QB is always part of the reason why you win or lose, they touch the ball on every down. 

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Lol at not knowing how a QB room works. If you think the only thing a QB can contribute is their play on the field, you might want to educate yourself. JB is a leader. He is seriously respected in the Colts organization. He has stood tall against some really challenging stretches for this team.

Both Eason and Rivers will be asking a great many questions of JB...an rightly so. If the Colts had moved JB through a trade, or cut him as some suggested :scratch:, the Colts QB room would have been lessened considerably. 

I love how everyone is just pointing towards how a team needs a backup QB and doesn't want to answer my questions. Can Brissett get us to the playoffs? Is Brissett our future QB? As far as the broncos goes, he made a play which was fantastic, but let's not act like broncos were a good team. We should have beat them. 

Archived