Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts FO will be tested in 2021 draft

I know it’s way to early to talk draft but this upcoming draft will be interesting. Players sometimes bloom in their senior year. (You look at Burrow’s numbers in 2018 and they pail in comparison to last year).

After watching “With the next pick”, I’m thinking Ballard and Co will be okay and may even have an advantage over teams that don’t value character.

The conferences that are playing will probably be scrutinized. I’m also wondering if players that won’t be playing will find alternative ways to display their talents?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, w87r said:

Good thing is all teams will have this issue and I like our talent evaluators over other teams.

Yup...    situations like this typically favor the better scouting teams.   And I think our staff has demonstrated that we scout better than most.    So I like our chances...

• Like 2

We'll have less bust % thanks to the character traits our scouts show for players in the 2021 draft. Our issue will be watching the tape and trying to decide who is the best picks for us when play is limited this year. 

In general for the 2021 draft, there will be more "bust" picks than normal in the first round IMO, and especially in the first three rounds. A team like the Colts may use Brian Decker more than ever with the interview process, and I'm sure the senior bowl and combine is going to be a bigger factor than normal as well.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I know it’s way to early to talk draft but this upcoming draft will be interesting. Players sometimes bloom in their senior year. (You look at Burrow’s numbers in 2018 and they pail in comparison to last year).

After watching “With the next pick”, I’m thinking Ballard and Co will be okay and may even have an advantage over teams that don’t value character.

The conferences that are playing will probably be scrutinized. I’m also wondering if players that won’t be playing will find alternative ways to display their talents?

Its going to be a test of all the teams, all the scouts. And that's even if we have a 2021 draft.  And even if we do, I think the bust potential will multiply out big time.  It will also be a huge test of a kid's maturity and dedication to the sport. Do they stay out of trouble, stay in shape, hone their skills, or do they party and get into trouble, legal and otherwise?  It'll be interesting to see for sure.

I think what will happen is that we will see more kids from the SEC, the ACC, and Big 12 drafted next year since as of right now it appears they are going to go on with their football seasons. The kids who are going to be hurt the most are the ones from the mid major programs who get one or two games per year against a power 5 team and they have a chance to make a name for themselves. I'm sure it will be difficult to prepare for the 2021 draft but I have a great deal of confidence in Chris Ballard and his team!

• Like 1

They be looking at 2019 tapes for players who won’t have a 2020 season. It’s shame because some players could’ve made a huge leap. That leap could’ve had some guys skyrocket up draft boards. Can some of the players transfer to play this season is the question I have.