Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The WR no one is talking about.

Parris Cambell. 

I think we have forgotten the potential of this guy, and with drafting Pittman, he will just be in the slot where is does his best work.

Can anyone say the Colts WR group is underrated this year? 

College highlights:

• Like 1

I think a lot of us are still talking about him. We see what he can do on the field but the injury bug stuck to him. I'm rooting for him to show off this season.

• Like 3

I’m still a Fountain fan.  He had some bad luck with his injury, but he had a dominant camp last year...

• Like 3

No one has forgotten about him but he needs some more work. Granted that may take time and guys like Reggie Wayne didn’t explode their first couple years in the league but we need him to step up big time this year

I agree, but I think this entire group just needs to stay healthy. If TY, Parris and Daurice Fountain are all healthy, Pascal keeps improving, and Pittman is as advertised, this is going to be a great group.

• Like 3

Wouldn’t it be MORE accurate to say no one is talking about Fountain?   Or Patman?  

Aren’t those guys far more under the radar than Campbell who everybody is hoping he will live up to his draft status and raw skill set?  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ar1888 said:

I really like Campbell, but he has to learn to run a route tree. Bubble le abd slip screens are fine,but he needs to be able to do more. 

Couldn't that be said about all rookie WRs?

Look at his time on the field and he is a rookie. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

No one has forgotten about him but he needs some more work. Granted that may take time and guys like Reggie Wayne didn’t explode their first couple years in the league but we need him to step up big time this year

The most important thing is for all of these guys to step up and make plays when they are called upon. 

I think Rivers will be the key as he has a set of skilled players as good as he has ever had. The talent is there no doubt.

• Like 2

I'm not talking about him because he has a lot to prove, primarily his ability to stay on the field all year long. Gotta keep the Porsche on the road, like Reich said. But I really liked him before the draft, I'm glad we have him, and I'm excited to see him get back to work.

• Like 2

We’ve had a lot of dropped passes over the years. It’s the fundamental, primary, and basic job of the receiver and I hope we finally get some improvement from our WR core as a whole. 

Has been a free agent and I believe he signed today with Tampa Bay....  

10 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Chester Rogers?

Has been a free agent and I believe signed today with Miami....

• Thanks 1

I remember Polian saying the three primary assets they looked for in a WR:

Good hands

The ability to get open (speaks to route running)

The intelligence to adjust, when needed (i.e. breaking off a route, when there’s a blitz).

He also said speed was an important asset but it wasn’t the primary reason to draft a WR.

Of course, other things like consistency and blocking for the run game matters and perhaps there is a little more emphasis on speed, with the current regime, and a “team first” mentality. 

There are question marks with this group (inexperience and staying healthy) but IF they live up to their potential, this could be the deepest WR group we’ve seen in a long time.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not talking about him because he has a lot to prove, primarily his ability to stay on the field all year long. Gotta keep the Porsche on the road, like Reich said. But I really liked him before the draft, I'm glad we have him, and I'm excited to see him get back to work.

Yep, same... was very high on him before the draft. Felt kind of disappointed and frustrated last year... both with his injuries and with the way he was playing when he was on the field. He does have some special traits so... here's to hopefully Rivers and Reich uncovering some of them this year. 

On 8/10/2020 at 4:50 PM, NannyMcafee said:

Parris Cambell. 

I think we have forgotten the potential of this guy, and with drafting Pittman, he will just be in the slot where is does his best work.

Can anyone say the Colts WR group is underrated this year? 

College highlights:

If you ask me Fountain is the WR no one is talking about. Guy lit it up during camp last season. If he can return to that same form our WR Corp will be very Deep.

5 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

If you ask me Fountain is the WR no one is talking about. Guy lit it up during camp last season. If he can return to that same form our WR Corp will be very Deep.

I must have missed the comments about cambell. But I haven't been as active this off season. 

6 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I must have missed the comments about cambell. But I haven't been as active this off season. 

I have seen a number of NFL media people talk about Campbell.... not in a glowing sense, but when they mention the Colts offense, they list him off as one of the weapons at Rivers' disposal. I think at some point i've seen it on Good Morning Football and also on the Around the NFL Podcast. Gregg Rosenthal is plugged in on him a bit. Again, no one is predicting he is going to come out and take over the league or anything, but they are talking about him as one of Rivers' weapons.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:42 PM, Superman said:

Couldn’t agree more! 

I've seen mentions of Campbell in several articles. One was on second year breakout players on O. Let's face it though, most attention will be on Pittman as a rook, and TY as the aging #1 trying to rebound from injury. I'd say more folks are talking about him than Pascal, who was our #1 last year in terms of yards.

I fully expect Campbell to perform well this year if he's healthy, as I also expect TY and Pittman to do well. If I had to name a WR that I think will surprise, or outperform expectation, I'd pick either Dulin or Fountain.

• Like 1

The great thing about Campbell is he doesn’t need a lot of touches to effect the game. He has the ability to break one with every touch. I am excited to watch him. We will see him be a lot of what Debo Samual is for SF. He can be used in so many ways. If this offense stays healthy we are going to be very good. TY was back on the field yesterday too. Hopefully Campbell and Pittman our the colts one and two for years to come.

47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The great thing about Campbell is he doesn’t need a lot of touches to effect the game. He has the ability to break one with every touch. I am excited to watch him. We will see him be a lot of what Debo Samual is for SF. He can be used in so many ways. If this offense stays healthy we are going to be very good. TY was back on the field yesterday too. Hopefully Campbell and Pittman our the colts one and two for years to come.

Purely my opinion, but I think Campbell will probably benefit the most from having Rivers as a QB. JB was unwilling/unable to throw quality balls to the seam, and Rivers doesn't have that problem. Same with the deep balls, but I think the seam routes will be far more productive this year.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, but I think Campbell will probably benefit the most from having Rivers as a QB. JB was unwilling/unable to throw quality balls to the seam, and Rivers doesn't have that problem. Same with the deep balls, but I think the seam routes will be far more productive this year.

Absolutely. Rivers ball placement and getting the balk out quick should give him a lot of YAC.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Absolutely. Rivers ball placement and getting the balk out quick should give him a lot of YAC.

I'm just happy it'll open up the middle of the field. We were horrible last year in that aspect. Rogers and our TEs were often wide open and we just rarely threw the ball there. While our slots and TEs ran a lot of clear outs for the X and Z, the Ds would almost ignore that area of the field. It's going to be really nice seeing the entire field in use, and will definitely make things easier on TY. The YAC will come simply with spreading the ball around and making the D respect all the routes. I think we'll see both TY and Campbell benefit in that aspect.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Rivers is an upgrade over JB no doubt. I am excited to see him play under Reich and the offensive line we have.

I have to wonder what this team will see from Dullin. He is also an intriguing guy with speed and enough size. All of the guys we have really have that intriguing factor, someone just has to show the end result and it becomes spectacular. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I also thought a big problem with Brissett last year was that he was often slow going through his reads (or just wasn't looking through all of them).  Rivers, on the other hand, has been very solid in this aspect and doesn't seem to shy away from spreading the ball out.  Rivers also has had a lot of success with the kind of hybrid RB/WR (e.g., Darren Sproles, Austin Ekeler).  We have Hines who fills a similar niche there, but I also think Campbell can be used very similarly since he is so fast and athletic.  Regardless, I think Campbell is a major beneficiary of having a new (hopefully improved) QB on this team.

16 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I have to wonder what this team will see from Dullin. He is also an intriguing guy with speed and enough size. All of the guys we have really have that intriguing factor, someone just has to show the end result and it becomes spectacular. 

Although he only had 2 catches last year, I was impressed with the little we saw on Dulin.  Also, since he came from a small D2 school, I expect he'll make a big improvement between year 1 and year 2 as he is now used to the NFL speed and coaching. I hope he steps up and makes the team, even if his main contributions are on special teams.

This definitely seems to be our deepest WR group going into a season in quite a while.  I think TY, Pittman, Pascal and Campbell are pretty much locks to make the team.  I assume we'll keep 6 WRs and think it's gonna be a tough battle for the last two slots with Patmon, Dulin, Fountain, and M. Johnson (who impressed me last year).  I also won't be shocked if Chad Williams or DeMichael Harris make some waves in training camp, especially if Harris proves he can be a legit KR. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I also thought a big problem with Brissett last year was that he was often slow going through his reads (or just wasn't looking through all of them).  Rivers, on the other hand, has been very solid in this aspect and doesn't seem to shy away from spreading the ball out.  Rivers also has had a lot of success with the kind of hybrid RB/WR (e.g., Darren Sproles, Austin Ekeler).  We have Hines who fills a similar niche there, but I also think Campbell can be used very similarly since he is so fast and athletic.  Regardless, I think Campbell is a major beneficiary of having a new (hopefully improved) QB on this team.

Although he only had 2 catches last year, I was impressed with the little we saw on Dulin.  Also, since he came from a small D2 school, I expect he'll make a big improvement between year 1 and year 2 as he is now used to the NFL speed and coaching. I hope he steps up and makes the team, even if his main contributions are on special teams.

This definitely seems to be our deepest WR group going into a season in quite a while.  I think TY, Pittman, Pascal and Campbell are pretty much locks to make the team.  I assume we'll keep 6 WRs and think it's gonna be a tough battle for the last two slots with Patmon, Dulin, Fountain, and M. Johnson (who impressed me last year).  I also won't be shocked if Chad Williams or DeMichael Harris make some waves in training camp, especially if Harris proves he can be a legit KR. 

100% agree here. It's probably the right thing to do honestly to keep 6 WRs. We have lots of potential, but no guarantees besides Hilton at this point. However, I love Pittman, Pascal and Campbell as well. Patmon and Dulin can still make the practice squad, so they might not make the 53 because of that. Fountain is borderline, I think it depends on if he is fully recovered from his injury and can outperform 2 of the other 3 in Patmon, Dulin, and Marcus Johnson. Marcus showed some potential as well, he's the longshot IMO, but a big training camp could have him make the roster as the no6 receiver.

I don't think Patmon will stay on the practice squad for very long with his size and potential, so I'd keep him, don't know between the other 3 yet, I'd determine that through training camp competition. In any case, our WR potential looks fantastic, and with Rivers at QB, I believe we'll have 2 guys break out this year at WR.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

100% agree here. It's probably the right thing to do honestly to keep 6 WRs. We have lots of potential, but no guarantees besides Hilton at this point. However, I love Pittman, Pascal and Campbell as well. Patmon and Dulin can still make the practice squad, so they might not make the 53 because of that. Fountain is borderline, I think it depends on if he is fully recovered from his injury and can outperform 2 of the other 3 in Patmon, Dulin, and Marcus Johnson. Marcus showed some potential as well, he's the longshot IMO, but a big training camp could have him make the roster as the no6 receiver.

I don't think Patmon will stay on the practice squad for very long with his size and potential, so I'd keep him, don't know between the other 3 yet, I'd determine that through training camp competition. In any case, our WR potential looks fantastic, and with Rivers at QB, I believe we'll have 2 guys break out this year at WR.

I think Pascal showed last year he is reliable and a playmaker.  Campbell showed flashes, but still has a lot to prove and a need to stay healthy.  TY also needs to stay healthy after two years in a row with nagging injuries.

I'm pretty confident that Pittman is going to be solid, but you're right he needs to prove it before we get too excited.

And yes, interesting with the new PS rules (sounds like we can protect up to 4 players if they don't get claimed after being cut and before being placed on the PS), will be to see if we keep any of our young guys locked up.  I'm also intrigued given no pre-season games or intersquad practices (i.e., our coaching staff/FO will really be the only group of NFL personnel who will have gotten a chance to see the young guys perform against other NFL players).  That may benefit us with a guy like Patmon, and since no other team will have seen him perform, he may have a likelier chance of making it to the PS and being protected than a guy like Dulin who other NFL teams have seen on Sundays.

Anyway, just in TY, Campbell, Pascal and Pittman I am a lot more confident with our top 4 than I was going into any year since Reggie got hurt.

• Like 1