Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 2021 draft is going to be such a mess with college conferences cancelling seasons. Some are moving seasons to spring then going to expect them to play again in the fall. How many will opt out of the spring session and only play fall. What about guys who red one more year removed from HS to be eligible fir the draft. Will it force guys like Trevor Lawrence to stay in school a extra year. I am not sure how a draft will even be able to ge done in 2021. A lot of players are going to be losing a lot of money if they opt out and enter the draft. 

In order to be part of the NFL Draft a player has to be 3 years from their high school graduation date. So if a kid graduated in 2018 he would be eligible for the 2021 draft regardless if there is a college football season or not. Trevor Lawrence has nothing to worry about. He probably has more to lose by playing this season than not. I've heard analysts say that he would have been the number one pick last year over Joe Burrow if he would have been eligible. As to the logistics of the 2021 NFL Draft, your guess is as good as anybody else's right now. With all sports in a state of flux I would say next year's draft isn't a high priority right now. I'm sure that if the major conferences go to spring football that players like Lawrence will opt out or the NFL Draft will move back to a later date. Just my :2c: on the matter.

• Like 1

I see the players want to play and the coaches are now speaking out also. I feel bad for the kids. Like Trevor said in his tweets a lot of these kids football is their safe haven. The guys like Lawrence will be fine. But it still could cost a lot of them money if they can’t play and go right to the draft. Guys like Justin fields could lose a lot of draft position. This really is not fair to them. Looks like some governors are putting pressure on them to cancel while red state govs want them to play. This is going to affect hundreds of kids futures. Your going to ask them to play spring football then turn around and ask them to play fall football a few months later. For players that go right to the draft it could cost them draft position and money.

There are guys every year who are "surefire" first round picks. Many of these guys if they switch to a spring football schedule probably will opt not to play and simply train for the NFL Combine and Draft. Guys like Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are almost guaranteed to go top 5 if not 1 & 2 next year. They really have nothing to gain by playing college football this season. The players who are hurt the most are probably the mid to late round guys. However, we have seen through the videos the Colts have put out about the draft process that NFL teams know these players pretty well. It would definitely make their job more difficult but I think it could actually benefit a team like the Colts who have one of the better GM's and scouting departments. I trust Chris Ballard and his guys to lead us through whatever happens with the 2020 college season and 2021 draft.

Looks like the big ten may be the only one to cancel. The NCAA nut grant them waivers to let them play immediately for another team. Spring football does not work. There are going to be so many guys that opt out for the draft. IF teams like the ACC and SEC still play that puts them at a advantage in the draft. Not to mention this is going to bankrupt programs and put them behind for years.  I don’t care about how the colts handle it. I care about these players and the careers they are messing with. The nfl is going to have to change some things and add to the combine. Also some nfl games may be moved to Saturday.

Safety First, be it on the field or off the field. Contrary to the Pro's the risk is very high for the college players. There is no insurance and permanent damage can result from catching the virus. Honestly, I think each player's decision will be highly influenced by their parents, family, friends and home physician. I am surprised that the conferences have not canvassed each player and their family regarding playing this year, and publish their findings. I think the student body, the fans and sportscasters should know.

• Confused 1
8 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Safety First, be it on the field or off the field. Contrary to the Pro's the risk is very high for the college players. There is no insurance and permanent damage can result from catching the virus. Honestly, I think each player's decision will be highly influenced by their parents, family, friends and home physician. I am surprised that the conferences have not canvassed each player and their family regarding playing this year, and publish their findings. I think the student body, the fans and sportscasters should know.

Parents of Ohio state players have sent a letter saying they want their kids to play. Players are all over twitter saying they want to play. Coaches are saying they want to play. Give them a option to opt out. The head of the big ten has a son playing in the SEC. Imagine his fun playing while he cancels the big ten. It’s all outrageous and no one is following the science. 

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Looks like the big ten may be the only one to cancel. The NCAA nut grant them waivers to let them play immediately for another team. Spring football does not work. There are going to be so many guys that opt out for the draft. IF teams like the ACC and SEC still play that puts them at a advantage in the draft. Not to mention this is going to bankrupt programs and put them behind for years.  I don’t care about how the colts handle it. I care about these players and the careers they are messing with. The nfl is going to have to change some things and add to the combine. Also some nfl games may be moved to Saturday.

The Big 10 won't cancel alone. There is too much money at stake for them to just cancel without the other power 5 conferences doing the same. They may be the first to announce that they are canceling but they won't be doing so if they think the other 4 power conferences are going to go ahead and play. I think with the outcry that they have received from players and coaches to try and play that there is a good chance that they will try and push the season back a couple of months and play a late fall /winter schedule. 

I don't understand why you would say that you don't care how the Colts handle what happens with the 2020 college football season and subsequent draft. This is a Colts forum and the title of the thread of the thread (that you started) is "2021 Draft Is Going To Be Messed Up" If you wanted to do a thread solely about your thoughts on how this upcoming season affects the college players then maybe you should've placed this in a different part of the forum. 

I'm curious about what you mean when you say that "I care about these players and the careers they are messing with". Are you for college football playing this fall? This spring? Not at all? Who is messing with their careers? A very small percentage of college players actually make it to the NFL. There might be a few players that this might affect their draft status, but I don't think it will be a huge number. I really want to better understand what you are trying to say with this thread. I honestly believe that if the conferences decide to postpone or cancel the upcoming season that the NFL will make changes to the combine and scouting process. These players coming from the NCAA are the next wave of NFL players. They are a commodity and investment for the NFL so if the 2020 season is changed I'm 99% sure that the NFL will do things different when it comes to the combine. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Parents of Ohio state players have sent a letter saying they want their kids to play. Players are all over twitter saying they want to play. Coaches are saying they want to play. Give them a option to opt out. The head of the big ten has a son playing in the SEC. Imagine his fun playing while he cancels the big ten. It’s all outrageous and no one is following the science. 

The Sciene is that 30% of those that get Covid 19 either die, have serious long term lung, heart of neuological problems. So the question is are we will to put 18-22 year olds in danger of long term health problems for our entertainment. I am from WV where miners use to be told that coal dust was harmless until finally it was proven that it causes black lung disease which results in permanent damage and death. Of course the kids want to play. Who wants to give up a year. That is not the test the test is can you keep them form getting Covid 19.

• Confused 1
6 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

The Sciene is that 30% of those that get Covid 19 either die, have serious long term lung, heart of neuological problems. So the question is are we will to put 18-22 year olds in danger of long term health problems for our entertainment. I am from WV where miners use to be told that coal dust was harmless until finally it was proven that it causes black lung disease which results in permanent damage and death. Of course the kids want to play. Who wants to give up a year. That is not the test the test is can you keep them form getting Covid 19.

Yeah, no, that's not the science..

I can't even..

• Like 3
On 8/9/2020 at 4:15 PM, Chloe6124 said:

The 2021 draft is going to be such a mess with college conferences cancelling seasons. Some are moving seasons to spring then going to expect them to play again in the fall. How many will opt out of the spring session and only play fall. What about guys who red one more year removed from HS to be eligible fir the draft. Will it force guys like Trevor Lawrence to stay in school a extra year. I am not sure how a draft will even be able to ge done in 2021. A lot of players are going to be losing a lot of money if they opt out and enter the draft. 

If they don't play this season will the NCAA give them another year of eligibility?  

It could get interesting because players will have to be scouted based on what they did in 2019 and before.  For a few players who were only 2 years removed in 2020 and made a big name for themselves they will be drafted towards the top.  But there are a lot of players who were 3 years removed or 4 years removed who were planning on coming back this final year to try to help their draft stock.

I think what this means quite frankly is outside of the very top the draft is going to be even more of a crap shoot then it usually is.  If you ran through a mock draft done before the season and one done after the season they always look radically different for a reason.  Without that final season things are going to be tough.

If they end up playing in the spring it will be a little better but it will still mean that NFL teams will have a lot less time to scout and evaluate.  Plus a lot of the events such as the senior bowl that NFL teams like to use for their evaluations might have to be cancelled.