Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Depth signing options at CB/S

BProland85

With the opt outs of Tell and Milligan, we could use another depth corner who could also play safety. What about a guy like Logan Ryan who is still out there on a 1 year deal? He could play both corner and safety if injuries were to happen. 

Eric Reid is another who would strictly be a backup safety for us. 

On another note I would still love to sign OG Larry Warford to compete at RG with Glow. We need more depth on the OL anyways. 

Only 5 Safety's on the roster, including Blackmon who won't play for a while.   Not much competition to make the team there.

7 CBs, not a bad group if 6 make the team.

No doubt, Oline depth is the weakest group on the roster.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:27 AM, Smonroe said:

Only 5 Safety's on the roster, including Blackmon who won't play for a while.   Not much competition to make the team there.

7 CBs, not a bad group if 6 make the team.

No doubt, Oline depth is the weakest group on the roster.

I think S depth may trump OL depth right now.  Hooker's battled injuries most of his career and the fact he wasn't extended and given some of Ballard's pressers (basically saying Hooker's play dropped off throughout the year in 2019 and he wasn't playing to his level of expectations) and the fact we drafted Blackmon in Rd 3 lead me to believe the FO/Coaching Staff is getting ready to move on from him.  

Willis played well as a rookie, but I still see him as a guy who is just about at his ceiling given his limited athleticism.  Rutledge looks like a playmaker but he went undrafted for a reason and he's a rookie coming from a small school, so it'd be hard to expect him to adjust to the NFL right away, especially given this weird off season.  I like Odum more as a STer than a full-time starting safety should we have an injury to Hooker or Willis. Then Tell, while I don't blame him, opting out, IMO, was a big blow to our entire secondary as he was developing nicely at CB but has the versatility to play S if needed (I don't know any of our current corners have that ability, maybe Rhodes).  

OL depth is still concerning, but it sounds like Pinter is really impressing coaches as a rookie and I think Clark is versatile enough to be a solid stop gap at G or T if needed.  Hopefully Patterson is back to full health as a backup C (sounds like Big Q or Pinter would be next in line at C if needed).  I guess, I think we're so strong with our starting OL (with Glowinski being the weak link, but not really that weak of a link) that I feel like a single replacement there would not be as devastating to one of our starting S going down right now.  Regardless, it'd be nice to have a few more guys competing across the OL.

We have some many question marks in the secondary. Besides Moore who do we have? Malik Hooker has to stay healthy this season. When healthy he took away the deep ball. He was rushed back after the knee scoop. I expect him to move a lot faster this season. Blackmon when will he be ready to play. Do we play him at CB or FS? 

Rock and Willis both a showed a lot of upside as a rookies last year, Carrie is a solid vet with inside/outside versatility at corner, and now Wilson a 13 game starter last season was added. Rhodes returning to form would be a nice bonus and then rookies in Rodgers,Blackmon and Rutledge whom may or may not pan out.

If the D line creates constant pressure it will make their jobs easier for sure and that is the biggest  key i.m.o.

Archived