Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phillip Rivers 2013 Season with Riech/Sirianni

Go on NFL Pass (free right now) and watch the 2013 Charger season and see Phillip Rivers play. Reich and Nick set the game plan, while Ken Wisenhunt called the play. (By the way the Chargers killed the Colts that year on MNF) Then I invite you to watch the Colts under Andrew Luck (same season). Compare.... IMHO, Rivers decided more quickly and released the ball alot faster than Peyton or even Luck. His ball placement on slants and finding the TE and the backs out of the backfield is masterful. If he still has the arm, sky is the limit!!

3 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Go on NFL Pass (free right now) and watch the 2013 Charger season and see Phillip Rivers play. Reich and Nick set the game plan, while Ken Wisenhunt called the play. (By the way the Chargers killed the Colts that year on MNF) Then I invite you to watch the Colts under Andrew Luck (same season). Compare.... IMHO, Rivers decided more quickly and released the ball alot faster than Peyton or even Luck. His ball placement on slants and finding the TE and the backs out of the backfield is masterful. If he still has the arm, sky is the limit!!

Thats 7 years ago

The first thing that came to my mind, as apparently did for others, was the 7 year time period.

However...... if the OLplays as expected, Rivers could easily be good enough , now, to play well.  As QBs get older, they rely more on knowledge and experience.  Even at his age, he can still fling the ball around with good accuracy..... IF given some level of protection.  We have weapons similar to those he’s had success with .  WRs and RBs.  Perhaps more athleticism at TE would help, but with our OL, the potential BEAST of a running attack, some  interesting WR talent, and a young , hungry defense to get him the ball back, i think he could thrive.  He gets the ball out quick, is pretty accurate, and is a very wiley vet, not to mention brings a ton of energy and enthusiasm to the team.  
  If the OL can protect him like they’ve done the last 2 years (for the most part), I think Mr Rivers will have a pretty respectful year.  But that is assuming the WRs grow, the running game lives up to expectations, the D grows, the coaches grow,  and this covid thing doesnt ruin it all.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

The first thing that came to my mind, as apparently did for others, was the 7 year time period.

However...... if the OLplays as expected, Rivers could easily be good enough , now, to play well.  As QBs get older, they rely more on knowledge and experience.  Even at his age, he can still fling the ball around with good accuracy..... IF given some level of protection.  We have weapons similar to those he’s had success with .  WRs and RBs.  Perhaps more athleticism at TE would help, but with our OL, the potential BEAST of a running attack, some  interesting WR talent, and a young , hungry defense to get him the ball back, i think he could thrive.  He gets the ball out quick, is pretty accurate, and is a very wiley vet, not to mention brings a ton of energy and enthusiasm to the team.  
  If the OL can protect him like they’ve done the last 2 years (for the most part), I think Mr Rivers will have a pretty respectful year.  But that is assuming the WRs grow, the running game lives up to expectations, the D grows, the coaches grow,  and this covid thing doesnt ruin it all.

I agree with this. I think last years team would have been good enough with the addition of Rivers to make the playoffs. He doesn't even need to be all that good. Just consistent. As long as he doesn't try and play hero ball the Colts are in good hands. 

Hell... maybe he will surprise everyone with his abilities. He's 38? Honestly a lot of guys were still great at that age (not elite). And I think the media has really unfairly judged him on one struggling season. Which I truly can't understand why.... they need someone to talk down about i guess. They want to give Brady every excuse in the book for why his season wasn't stellar but Rivers? Hell no! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some of you guys crack me up.  Rivers was not signed to be the future of this team.   Hopefully we all understand he is a 1-2 yr stop gap until we find the future franchise QB.

To think that because he is 38 that he can't play is silly.  Some of you thought we should go after an even older Tom Cheater.

Rivers can play, he a smart vet, a good leader and motivator.   Guys will rally around him, he knows the system, has excelled in this system and has almost all the pieces to take it to Feb. He doesnt have to win games by himself. 

The FO knew this team is primed for a run, they didnt want to put this in the hands of a rookie and cross their fingers.

I have never been a fan of Rivers.   But he is the best possible QB the Colts could have signed this yr.  

• Like 3

I know we want to see the chemistry of Rivers with Reich/Sirianni but it would also be good to see some highlights of the 2018 season when he lit it up, he read blitzes well, made excellent red zone reads, moved in and around the pocket well, led his pass catchers well etc.. Guys, this is just 1 year removed from last season, I expect him to be good this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
51 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I know we want to see the chemistry of Rivers with Reich/Sirianni but it would also be good to see some highlights of the 2018 season when he lit it up, he read blitzes well, made excellent red zone reads, moved in and around the pocket well, led his pass catchers well etc.. Guys, this is just 1 year removed from last season, I expect him to be good this year.

Yes!  To paraphrase the late Al Davis - "Just PLAY baby!"

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yes!  To paraphrase the late Al Davis - "Just PLAY baby!"

I get the weird feeling some folks would love to see Philip Rivers fail so that they can gloat they were right. I for one am optimistic. Gotta roll with who we have and win games, that is all that matters!!!

• Like 1

Also, has it ever occurred to folks that he may have played hurt last year?  He took some vicious hits against Packers and didn’t look the same afterward. You’ll never know if Rivers is injured because he’ll play through everything including a torn ACL. And he will NEVER make excuses. 

With a great backup in Jacoby I hope he doesn’t feel the need to play hero. 

Tom Brady at 38 went 12-4, 4770 yards, 36 touchdowns with 7 interceptions.

Peyton at 37 and 38 went: 

13-3, 5477 yards, 50 touchdowns and 10 INT

12-4, 4727, 39 TD, 15 INT

father time catches up eventually, yes. But at 38, guys have performed at the highest level. Anything close to the numbers above will make this roster a championship caliber team. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Tom Brady at 38 went 12-4, 4770 yards, 36 touchdowns with 7 interceptions.

Peyton at 37 and 38 went: 

13-3, 5477 yards, 50 touchdowns and 10 INT

12-4, 4727, 39 TD, 15 INT

father time catches up eventually, yes. But at 38, guys have performed at the highest level. Anything close to the numbers above will make this roster a championship caliber team. 

Brady and Peyton are at a different level w.r.t prolific passing.

Rivers came along around the same time as Brees, who was 23 TDs 8 INTs in 2017 (age 38) and 37 TDs 15 INTs in 2016 (age 37).  I fancy Rivers' stats to be more in line with the mid to high 20s TDs and 10-12 INTs with the running game support he has. 2017 was a year where Brees and the Saints emphasized the run more as well. Not a great fantasy year for Brees owners but a good year nevertheless for the Saints.

10 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I agree with this. I think last years team would have been good enough with the addition of Rivers to make the playoffs. He doesn't even need to be all that good. Just consistent. As long as he doesn't try and play hero ball the Colts are in good hands. 

Hell... maybe he will surprise everyone with his abilities. He's 38? Honestly a lot of guys were still great at that age (not elite). And I think the media has really unfairly judged him on one struggling season. Which I truly can't understand why.... they need someone to talk down about i guess. They want to give Brady every excuse in the book for why his season wasn't stellar but Rivers? Hell no! 

Dont forget the kicking game handicapping us.  And Reich was playing the field position-heavy running game oriented, keep it close to the end gameplan.  Even with the QBs we had, we were still in so many games.

Rivers brings experience, not just in football, but with our head coach AND offensive coordinator.  I’m surprised more isnt being made of this.  Its gonna bring a class-reuinion/family reunion type vibe that could set a tone thru the locker room..  This is a tight knit team and organization.  Its one of the things i’m most impressed about.

Rivers is a rare breed.  He is one of the few vets that can bring both a confidence and calming effect over the team, as well as bring another kevel of enthusiasm, excitement, and accountability.  He has everything we would want for this team at the present time.  We’ll just have to see if age will be a major factor or not.  But i agree, Rivers certainly has enough physical tools now along with the experience to be successful.  He just needs some help from the rest of the team.  Heck, we had Peyton for so long and we know that NO single player can do it by themselves.  

Wouldn't it also be wonderful if somehow our new rookie QB would soak up some Mr Rivers and exceed expectations to be the heir apparent.

A guy can dream. 

• Like 1

I always felt that Rivers never got the opportunity to play in the Big Dance. He is good enough to be there just like Eli Manning. I for one will be very happy to see Phillip Rivers win the SB and MVP. (if not this year than 2022). Reich is a perfect match with Phillip, and he's been there before. Reich suffered many years with the Bills and never getting the SB ring until he was with the Eagles. I have a very good feeling that this year will be story for the ages.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:16 PM, jbaron04 said:

7 years ago he ain’t the same guy 

Not saying he's Peyton, but isn't he basically the same age as Peyton when he had those three great years in Denver (and one MVP)?

Like others have said, no one is expecting him to put the team on his back.  If he's the game manager that Peyton was his last year, I'd be happy with that outcome.

On 8/6/2020 at 11:55 AM, Bolts2Colts said:

With a great backup in Jacoby I hope he doesn’t feel the need to play hero. 

You think he would play hero ball because he would feel threatened by JB? Or am I missing your point?  Cause that one ain't it for sure.... JB is no better than Track Bar, or Drop Link Taylor, or whatever steering component that Chargers QB is named after