Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tell, Milligan Opt Out

John Waylon

Why anyone would be frustrated by a player opting out is a mystery to me, and frankly just mind-numbing.  They are making a personal decision based on their own health or perhaps their families health.  This has nothing to do with his drive to play.  That is a comical.

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Why anyone would be frustrated by a player opting out is a mystery to me, and frankly just mind-numbing.  They are making a personal decision based on their own health or perhaps their families health.  This has nothing to do with his drive to play.  That is a comical.

As a fan, if a player that I think will really help the team opts out, it's disappointing.

From a human standpoint, I get it. 

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

I'm not frustrated like that, I'm more caught off-guard it was him out of everyone. I realize that people are going to opt-out and I respect their decisions. I already told NCF this in another thread. Maybe your blind hate of me (and you do hate me) is making you biased of what I said.

Tell opting out kind of hurts team wise.....I also think what you're seeing, with some exceptions of course, are lots of fringe roster players opting out...taking some guaranteed money and staying around for at least this year and taking their chances next year. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not frustrated like that, I'm more caught off-guard it was him out of everyone. I realize that people are going to opt-out and I respect their decisions. I already told NCF this in another thread. Maybe your blind hate of me (and you do hate me) is making you biased of what I said.

I don't hate you.  I actually hate no one expect a certain political figure.  But that is not relevant.

I simply rarely if ever agree with you.  Big difference.  

I am not disappointed as a fan over any one making a decision they think is best for them or their family.  How can I begrudge their decision?  These are unbelievable times.

Apparently you have me off ignore.  Big step.  I am a less frequent poster her so our interactions will be fewer.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

As a fan, if a player that I think will really help the team opts out, it's disappointing.

Get the sentiment.  But to me, not even a little disappointed as a fan.  

7 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Tell opting out kind of hurts team wise.....I also think what you're seeing, with some exceptions of course, are lots of fringe roster players opting out...taking some guaranteed money and staying around for at least this year and taking their chances next year. 

For the most part you are correct here. Tell would of made the team so kind of surprising. But we don’t know his circumstances.

Makes complete sense if you're a young player that plans on making a career in the NFL.  For older, paid players, IMO it comes down to their family's well being and pre-existing conditions for them all.

There's so much misinformation about the virus, and we don't understand long term affects (effects?).  Why take a chance.

6 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I don't hate you.  I actually hate no one expect a certain political figure.  But that is not relevant.

I simply rarely if ever agree with you.  Big difference.  

I am not disappointed as a fan over any one making a decision they think is best for them or their family.  How can I begrudge their decision?  These are unbelievable times.

Apparently you have me off ignore.  Big step.  I am a less frequent poster her so our interactions will be fewer.

Well, we agree here. I would never begrudge their decision either. It was just surprising that Tell opted out of anyone it could of been. That's all. He had everything to gain this year and is a good player so far going into year 2. I was more expecting someone with a family or on the roster bubble to opt-out. He doesn't really fit either unless he has a kid I don't know of.

I can be frustrated and still respect his decision, so don't be so quick to make my comment into something it isn't.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, we agree here. I would never begrudge their decision either. It was just surprising that Tell opted out of anyone it could of been. That's all. He had everything to gain this year and is a good player so far going into year 2. I was more expecting someone with a family or on the roster bubble to opt-out. He doesn't really fit either unless he has a kid I don't know of.

I can be frustrated and still respect his decision, so don't be so quick to make my comment into something it isn't.

Fair enough.

But the comment in the original post that "you thought he had more drive" is a statement I don't see how you can make.  We have no idea of his drive to play.  Only know from his decision that he has health concerns for him or his family.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

The other part of it is I'm fully prepared for an outbreak to shut down the season, so it might not matter anyway...

This and some more of this.  

Just now, jskinnz said:

Fair enough.

But the comment in the original post that "you thought he had more drive" is a statement I don't see how you can make.  We have no idea of his drive to play.  Only know from his decision that he has health concerns for him or his family.

That's fair enough too. I was more rooting for him because I see potential in him and was disappointed when he opted out. I guess I should of worded it differently. In any case, I wish him the best, and I'll leave it at that.

On a positive note, that pushes Tell's rookie contract back one year and we might have him on a cheap contract in 2023, where he might have developed at CB instead of this season where he would have been valuable depth, but not a cornerstone of this defense. Milligan is essentially a special teams player only anyway, so I get his decision.

Fan forums are used by members with opinions. You can agree with the opinion or choose not to agree. Either way, it's fine. But to think one's opinion is lesser than yours can get upsetting. There is no correct call here. These players are doing what they think is right for them and their families. The team hurts a bit but in the end, it's just football. This year is going to be wacky no matter what.

50 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Being frustrated as a fan is different than being frustrated at the player himself.   I get frusterated when a player gets injured.    It's no fault of the player, but still frustrated.  

If this season happens, the Colts could do really well, so losing a good player is frustrating to me.  

46 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm worried about our safety depth now. Perhaps Glasgow gets a look there

Highly doubt it.  I honestly think he was drafted almost solely to be a ST ace.  

I could see him playing in the box on some defensive plays as kind of a hybrid type (similar to the way they used Geathers at points last year).  That said, Glasgow is pretty small (6'0" 220) for a LBer and pretty slow for a safety (4.77).  I think it's a long shot he makes the team, and if so, I think he'll almost be solely used on STs... but I'd be very worried if they were going to settle with him as an actual starting safety required to play a traditional safety role for extended periods of time.

Here is a list of players who have opted out.   The site said it was from today but doesn't include Tell and Milligan.

Arizona Cardinals

Marcus Gilbert, OT

Atlanta Falcons

-

Baltimore Ravens

Andre Smith, OT

De'Anthony Thomas, WR

Buffalo Bills

E.J. Gaines, CB

Star Lotulelei, DT

Carolina Panthers

Christian Miller, OLB

Jordan Mack, LB

Cincinnati Bengals

Isaiah Prince, OT

Josh Tupou, DT

Chicago Bears

Jordan Lucas, S

Eddie Goldman, DT

Cleveland Browns

Colby Gossett, G

Andrew Billings, DT

Drew Forbes, G

Drake Dorbeck, OT

Dallas Cowboys

Jamize Olawale, FB

Stephen Guidry, WR

Maurice Canady, CB

Denver Broncos

Ja'Wuan James, OT

Kyle Peko, DT

Detroit Lions

Geronimo Allison, WR

John Atkins, DT

Green Bay Packers

Devin Funchess, WR

Houston Texans

Eddie Vanderdoes, DT

Indianapolis Colts

Skai Moore, LB

Kansas City Chiefs

Damien Williams, RB

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, G

Las Vegas Raiders

Ukeme Eligwe, LB

D.J. Killings, DB

Jeremiah Valoaga, DE

Los Angeles Chargers

-

Los Angeles Rams

Chandler Brewer, OT

Jacksonville Jaguars

Lerentee McCray, DE/LB

Al Woods, DT

Miami Dolphins

Albert Wilson, WR

Allen Hurns, WR

Minnesota Viking

Michael Pierce, DT

New England Patriots

Matt LaCosse, TE

Marqise Lee, WR

Patrick Chung, S

Dont'a Hightower, LB

Brandon Bolden, RB

Marcus Cannon, OT

Danny Vitale, FB

Najee Toran, OL

New Orleans Saints

Cole Wick, TE

Jason Vander Laan, TE

New York Giants

Da'Mari Scott, WR

Nate Solder, LT

New York Jets

C.J. Mosley, LB

Leo Koloamatangi, OL

Philadelphia Eagles

Marquise Goodwin, WR

San Francisco 49ers

Travis Benjamin, WR

Seattle Seahawks

Chance Warmack, G

Pittsburgh Steelers

-

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

-

Tennessee Titans

Anthony McKinney, OL

Washington Football Team

Josh Harvey-Clemons, LB

Caleb Brantley, DL

Free agents

Larry Warford, G

I always though Carrie would start over Tell and Rhodes honestly, he plays outside as well as he plays inside and brings a ton of starting experience to the table but it does hurt depth. Milligan I didnt have making the squad I had Donald Rutledge earning the spot (The more film and more I read about him really like this kid) until Blackmon is healthy but i expect we may sign a vet there now

Thats less than ideal. If there is a group that we cannot afford losing rotational players from it's the secondary. I don't blame them, they have to do what they have to do for their own and their family safety, but it sucks for the team. 

5 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Agreed!!

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Here is where I sit. Which is a safer situation to be in. A controlled environment that is constantly testing and taking measures to limit contact, sanitize, and limit  the spread of the disease and because you are being tested so often could likely notify you that you caught it sooner and help protect you from spreading it to your family and allow you quicker treatment all the while making millions of dollars well i think that would be a better option. Staying at home isn’t exactly safe...and I’d be surprised these guys aren’t at more risk by opting out then opting in. That said it’s a free country and if they are worried about their health that is respectable....I mean sure they play the most violent and harmful sport/activity that one could so obviously worrying about their health goes so far but it’s their right to choose. Just know you while you are sitting someone is taking your job and that money you pass up there is no other job after football that you can make up that money in.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

The other part of it is I'm fully prepared for an outbreak to shut down the season, so it might not matter anyway...

I’ve been in this boat for a couple months now. Even if we start a season I don’t see any way we end it, so it’s hard for me to put any kind of stock into players opting out one way or another. 

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I’ve been in this boat for a couple months now. Even if we start a season I don’t see any way we end it, so it’s hard for me to put any kind of stock into players opting out one way or another. 

NBA is going pretty well so far. But they have a pretty tight operation, and no fans. 

If every NFL team did what the Saints are doing -- basically creating their own bubble -- then maybe it would stop any outbreaks. But I get the feeling that around the middle of September, there's going to be a bunch of positive cases, and it's going to require a play stoppage.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

NBA is going pretty well so far. But they have a pretty tight operation, and no fans. 

If every NFL team did what the Saints are doing -- basically creating their own bubble -- then maybe it would stop any outbreaks. But I get the feeling that around the middle of September, there's going to be a bunch of positive cases, and it's going to require a play stoppage.

Yeah. The NBA’s bubble has been a massive benefit for them. Look at MLB. They decided that they didn’t need to go that route and they were talking about canceling the season right after it started with outbreaks on teams. I think football is just too much close-quarters and contact to stay out of the tall grass. 

57 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Yeah. The NBA’s bubble has been a massive benefit for them. Look at MLB. They decided that they didn’t need to go that route and they were talking about canceling the season right after it started with outbreaks on teams. I think football is just too much close-quarters and contact to stay out of the tall grass. 

That’s the players fault. MLB wanted to do the bubble thing in Florida and Arizona at the spring training venues and the players nixed it. I don’t even know if the Blue Jays have even found a place to play their games yet because they aren’t allowed into Canada without quarantining. MLB players union is pretty strong...but I don’t think they were totally looking out for their players as much as the money.

8 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Fan forums are used by members with opinions. You can agree with the opinion or choose not to agree. Either way, it's fine. But to think one's opinion is lesser than yours can get upsetting. There is no correct call here. These players are doing what they think is right for them and their families. The team hurts a bit but in the end, it's just football. This year is going to be wacky no matter what.

Agree with everything you said...but that’s not how most fan forums operate.

Archived