Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't care to see him or that beard again.

Maybe I’m reading this guys tweet incorrectly?    He seems to be saying that Luck retired due to the snow boarding accident.   Couple of points to make....   1. Wasn’t the snowboardin

If he does it likely wouldn't be for the colts...

Posted Images

6 hours ago, PrNum1 said:

At what point do we stop with this nonsense?

Sometimes you have to let your ex-wife go before you can start your new life with your new wife.

SOMETIMES?  In what world of analogies would it be a majority hanging on to the ex wife whilst moving on with the new one simultaneously??? Lol

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, PrNum1 said:

At what point do we stop with this nonsense?

Sometimes you have to let your ex-wife go before you can start your new life with your new wife.

Maybe do one of those sister wives setups.

One can be cooking while the other is cleaning!

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

This was perhaps the hardest part of my acceptance of his retirement.  We finally had a good o-line and an improving defense.  I still don't think he's ever coming back, but having him behind this o-line would be fantastic, lol.

Yeah it sucks, because what we wanted Grigson to do , Ballard did it in one year.  Just so happen, the next year the guy he was building around decided to jet.  It sucks because I think this is probably the most complete this team has ever been on both sides of the ball besides the 06 playoff run.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

The amount of problems a man has in his life is directly proportional to the amount of women in his life.  That’s just basic science

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Yeah it sucks, because what we wanted Grigson to do , Ballard did it in one year.  Just so happen, the next year the guy he was building around decided to jet.  It sucks because I think this is probably the most complete this team has ever been on both sides of the ball besides the 06 playoff run.  

Yeah, key words being playoff run. 

Its honestly amazing what he has done. Hopefully it will result in a lot of SBs. 

19 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

The amount of problems a man has in his life is directly proportional to the amount of women in his life.  That’s just basic science

Good advice.

How could i be so naive?

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Aaron Rodgers has one less problem then with Danica Patrick.

• Like 1
On 8/8/2020 at 5:46 AM, WoolMagnet said:

This thread is getting way off track. Let me see if I can get it back to football.

No way the Colts take Luck back with Kelly waiting to take over the starting job next year. :D

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew Luck is under contract through 2021, so we own his rights until the end of the 2021 season.

We own his rights forever. You don't just sit out and that year gets erased, it just pushes back. So if he retired with two years left he'd have 2 years left when ever he returns..

• Like 3

I’ve basically sat out most of this conversation.   But I’d add this...

No matter how many years left on Luck’s contract there is almost no guaranteed money, almost no dead cap money left to deal with.   So even if the long shot happens, and Luck were to come back and wanted to play for us, I think it would be on a NEW team friendly deal.  

I think it would have little guaranteed money at the signing and loaded with incentives,  and triggers should he perform at a high level and only modest money should he not be the same player.   I think it would be a contract that would be structured so the franchise would not be hurt should the comeback go badly for whatever reason and Luck would retire again.  The team would insist on protections and Luck would agree to them.   I think the new deal would mean there would be little for fans to worry about. 

All that said...  I remain in the camp that believes a Luck comeback is the longest of long shots and I’ll believe it only when more credible info is confirmed.   

• Like 2

Here is my list of players who I would take over Luck at QB for the next 3 or 4 seasons after this year if I ignore the uncertainty of Lucks desire to play after his retirement.  

1.  Pat Mahomes 

2.  Russell Wilson 

That’s it for me.  I’m not a Jackson believer.  Until we see a running QB continue as a running QB successfully, I won’t opt for that type of player.  IMO they are like Japanese pitchers.  It’s not racial.  Take those thoughts and deposit them where the sun don’t shine.  They are overused as kids and tend not to be able to stay on the mound just like Running QBs tend not to be able to play like that after a year or two. I can see people putting Jackson the list though.

Rogers, Brady, Brees are all too old to play until 2025 or 2026.  I would rate each of those guys above Luck if you were only talking the 2021 season and I’d slot them 2-5 in the order listed between Mahomes and Wilson.  That would still put Andrew at 7 IMO.

Too many can’t miss QBs, miss so I would rather take Luck than Burrow or Lawrence, even though I could see them both being studs. QBs are like baseball draftees and A box of chocolates.  For the seasons 2021 to 2025, I’d slot them at 4 and 5 behind PH, RW, and AL.

I think it is a no brainer that you would take Luck back on this team.  If he decided to play again, it would be for competitive desire and/or money both of which are great incentives.

There is essentially no risk and the cost is already paid for and would be a net positive when JB and PR are off the payroll.

I understand the skepticism, but the dude is just too friggin good not to take a slight chance  on.  

The only reason I can think of no to have him back is if JB and PR get injured this season and Eason turns out to be a stud that makes me forget AL.  That would be the only risk, losing out on Eason which doesn’t seem likely to be much of a risk.

Of course you let the guy fulfill his contract IMO.  

These young guys aren’t like the faux love Of the game generations of the past.  I would assume most of the millennial players have no problem with Luck, and the team chemistry thing is largely irrelevant.

Players want a guy like Luck because he helps you win, but more importantly, he makes you money by making you look better than you are.w

• Like 2
23 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Aaron Rodgers has one less problem then with Danica Patrick.

yeah, he doesn't have to worry about her wrecking him anymore.

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew Luck is under contract through 2021, so we own his rights until the end of the 2021 season.

Wrong.  His contract is paused the moment he retires.  Whether he comes back now, next year or in 2050, Colts own his right for the remaining time left on the contract , in this case 3 seasons.  There is no end date on that.  He has no way out unless the Colts release or trade him.  Which is why the Colts let him keep that 24 million. Doing so, ensured his rights are forever theirs.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yeah, he doesn't have to worry about her wrecking him anymore.

Wrong.  His contract is paused the moment he retires.  Whether he comes back now, next year or in 2050, Colts own his right for the remaining time left on the contract , in this case 3 seasons.  There is no end date on that.  He has no way out unless the Colts release or trade him.  Which is why the Colts let him keep that 24 million. Doing so, ensured his rights are forever theirs.

I stand corrected :thmup:

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

Here is my list of players who I would take over Luck at QB for the next 3 or 4 seasons after this year if I ignore the uncertainty of Lucks desire to play after his retirement.  

1.  Pat Mahomes 

2.  Russell Wilson 

That’s it for me.  I’m not a Jackson believer.  Until we see a running QB continue as a running QB successfully, I won’t opt for that type of player.  IMO they are like Japanese pitchers.  It’s not racial.  Take those thoughts and deposit them where the sun don’t shine.  They are overused as kids and tend not to be able to stay on the mound just like Running QBs tend not to be able to play like that after a year or two. I can see people putting Jackson the list though.

Rogers, Brady, Brees are all too old to play until 2025 or 2026.  I would rate each of those guys above Luck if you were only talking the 2021 season and I’d slot them 2-5 in the order listed between Mahomes and Wilson.  That would still put Andrew at 7 IMO.

Too many can’t miss QBs, miss so I would rather take Luck than Burrow or Lawrence, even though I could see them both being studs. QBs are like baseball draftees and A box of chocolates.  For the seasons 2021 to 2025, I’d slot them at 4 and 5 behind PH, RW, and AL.

I think it is a no brainer that you would take Luck back on this team.  If he decided to play again, it would be for competitive desire and/or money both of which are great incentives.

There is essentially no risk and the cost is already paid for and would be a net positive when JB and PR are off the payroll.

I understand the skepticism, but the dude is just too friggin good not to take a slight chance  on.  

The only reason I can think of no to have him back is if JB and PR get injured this season and Eason turns out to be a stud that makes me forget AL.  That would be the only risk, losing out on Eason which doesn’t seem likely to be much of a risk.

Of course you let the guy fulfill his contract IMO.  

These young guys aren’t like the faux love Of the game generations of the past.  I would assume most of the millennial players have no problem with Luck, and the team chemistry thing is largely irrelevant.

Players want a guy like Luck because he helps you win, but more importantly, he makes you money by making you look better than you are.w

I would take a 25 year-old Watson (about to head into his prime) over Luck. But Luck on his current deal will be far cheaper than Watson on his upcoming deal. 

So his contract would just be the bonus money he got for three years.... Not like they can't renegotiate for a new contract can they. I am just afaird if this is true that Jim would try to make Andrew luck the highest paid QB in the league again.... It like dang Jim you got burned once already. 

• Sad 1
27 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think its funny now that Andrew is off the team everyonr would take "such and such" over him. But if he never left, these words would never be uttered. 

I'd think there would be some who would still talk about him. A certain body builder comes to mind. 

Andrew's a very private person, and with so little information to go off of, a lot of people will attempt to connect the dots of what led to our franchise QB up and retiring so shockingly. I'm not saying it's right, and I'm certainly guilty of my own bias and thought entertainments. 

Maybe some day we will read a biography that tells us what really happened. I'm sure we're not the only ones in the sporting world who are curious about what led to a star player in his prime to up and leave. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I would take a 25 year-old Watson (about to head into his prime) over Luck. But Luck on his current deal will be far cheaper than Watson on his upcoming deal. 

Luck is better than Watson Imo.  Clearly better.

luck in early to mid 30s with this line and running game would be phenomenal imo.  Watson is good but he’s not on Andrews tier.

i wish luck would have showed what he could be with a competent cast around him.  Very underrated ole Andy was IMO.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve basically sat out most of this conversation.   But I’d add this...

No matter how many years left on Luck’s contract there is almost no guaranteed money, almost no dead cap money left to deal with.   So even if the long shot happens, and Luck were to come back and wanted to play for us, I think it would be on a NEW team friendly deal.  

I think it would have little guaranteed money at the signing and loaded with incentives,  and triggers should he perform at a high level and only modest money should he not be the same player.   I think it would be a contract that would be structured so the franchise would not be hurt should the comeback go badly for whatever reason and Luck would retire again.  The team would insist on protections and Luck would agree to them.   I think the new deal would mean there would be little for fans to worry about. 

All that said...  I remain in the camp that believes a Luck comeback is the longest of long shots and I’ll believe it only when more credible info is confirmed.   

I am with you I think a Luck comeback is unlikely.  

But we wouldn't have to change the deal at all he would just operate under his old deal for 3 years which since we paid all the guaranteed money means there is no guaranteed money left on the contract plus because he essentially froze the deal for a couple years it means he is going to be playing at an insanely cheap rate for a QB of his abilities.

I want this to be true but I just don't think it is.  

• Like 1

Eh... if he truly wants back on the Colts, he's welcome. I'd love to have this quality of QB again and I think this team will be incredible with him under center. 

If he wants back on another team... he's welcome back again. We can use the extra picks he can return... especially in a draft with so much quality at QB that the 2021 draft seems will have. Lets say Washington gets no. 1-3 pick and wants Luck in order to compete right away. I'd absolutely do it for that pick... maybe some other stuff thrown in. 

If he wants to stay retired... again he's welcome. I have resigned myself to the idea that he's not coming back anyways. He was an absolute class act as our QB and I hope he's happy and content with his life either way.

tenor.gif?itemid=9777832

• Like 2
19 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think its funny now that Andrew is off the team everyonr would take "such and such" over him. But if he never left, these words would never be uttered. 

Pat Mahomes. In hypothetical, brain storming time- it's clear who's better and who'd you'd want even if Luck had never left. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, The Fish said:

Pat Mahomes. In hypothetical, brain storming time- it's clear who's better and who'd you'd want even if Luck had never left. 

I would take mahomes, or peyton over andrew. But thats where it stops. Brady over luck? How laughable. 

• Like 1
On 8/10/2020 at 1:31 PM, NannyMcafee said:

I don't know...he does have a surgically-repaired throwing arm...and he's going to be 31. So I don't think it's crazy to take a few QBs over Luck under those circumstances...especially ones that are more than half a decade younger. 

And he did leave...so that has to be part of the consideration now unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Eh... if he truly wants back on the Colts, he's welcome. I'd love to have this quality of QB again and I think this team will be incredible with him under center. 

If he wants back on another team... he's welcome back again. We can use the extra picks he can return... especially in a draft with so much quality at QB that the 2021 draft seems will have. Lets say Washington gets no. 1-3 pick and wants Luck in order to compete right away. I'd absolutely do it for that pick... maybe some other stuff thrown in. 

If he wants to stay retired... again he's welcome. I have resigned myself to the idea that he's not coming back anyways. He was an absolute class act as our QB and I hope he's happy and content with his life either way.

tenor.gif?itemid=9777832

I don't think Luck is netting anywhere near that type of return...just too much uncertainty at this point.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:31 AM, NannyMcafee said:

Remember our argument a few months before Luck retired where you said Luck was elite and I said he didn't have the passion for the game and Mahomes would win a SB before him? That happened very quickly and I can at least say before Mahomes won a SB and Luck retired that I liked Mahomes over Luck.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Remember our argument a few months before Luck retired where you said Luck was elite and I said he didn't have the passion for the game and Mahomes would win a SB before him? That happened very quickly and I can at least say before Mahomes won a SB and Luck retired that I liked Mahomes over Luck.

I think Mahommes is a better raw talent. But the stats aren't that different. A healthy Andrew would do amazing with the potent offense of the chiefs... no one can say that entire offense isn't loaded. 

But we can play what ifs all day long. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If only Luck had Andy Reid from the start....

Mahomes is a generational talent but people need to realize he landed in the PERFECT spot. If he'd had pagano and grigson from the start, you think he'd be a the player he is now?

33 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think Mahommes is a better raw talent. But the stats aren't that different. A healthy Andrew would do amazing with the potent offense of the chiefs... no one can say that entire offense isn't loaded. 

But we can play what ifs all day long. 

Raw talent? The Colts got the most highly rated QB to come out since #18. Those ratings were no mistake. Luck was the definition of perfect. His story is the definition of mismanagement. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

If only Luck had Andy Reid from the start....

Mahomes is a generational talent but people need to realize he landed in the PERFECT spot. If he'd had pagano and grigson from the start, you think he'd be a the player he is now?

Well... He was drafted in 2017, when Ballard took over and Grigson was no longer GM. So replace Grigson with Ballard in that situation and keep Pagano for one year... Yes, I think he would be the player he is today because Ballard originally scouted him in KC before joining the Colts. He'd easily be elite in 3 years on our team.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well... He was drafted in 2017, when Ballard took over and Grigson was no longer GM. So replace Grigson with Ballard in that situation and keep Pagano for one year... Yes, I think he would be the player he is today because Ballard originally scouted him in KC before joining the Colts. He'd easily be elite in 3 years on our team.

Well sure. I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario where Mahomes had the front office and coaching that Luck had coming out. That's a fairer comp than wondering what Pat would be like under Ballard.

Luck had effectively ONE season with CB and a coach with half a brain. He won comeback player of the year and had arguably his best season in the league. 

So, imagine Mahomes with the conditions Luck had to start with. Now imagine Luck with the conditions Mahomes had to start off with. 

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Well sure. I'm talking about a hypothetical scenario where Mahomes had the front office and coaching that Luck had coming out. That's a fairer comp than wondering what Pat would be like under Ballard.

Luck had effectively ONE season with CB and a coach with half a brain. He won comeback player of the year and had arguably his best season in the league. 

So, imagine Mahomes with the conditions Luck had to start with. Now imagine Luck with the conditions Mahomes had to start off with. 

Mahomes would be 16 years old in 2012. Kinda hard to imagine him in the NFL in high school. You can't compare QBs of different ages like that, that's why I said 2017 when he got drafted. Only way you can compare him to Luck.

• Confused 1
21 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Like even if he does come back idk if I even want him on the team. 

I said at the time when Ballard his press conference the way he was talking I am not sure he’d want him back because I think Ballard would think you quit on us once what stops you from doing it again?

With that said Irsay will want him back so he will be a Colt.

I also respected him for walking away as his choice as I think Ballard did but I do think Ballard and others would question if he would do it again if he came back.  

Still I’ll believe in an Andrew Luck comeback when he’s under center taking snaps in a meaningful game.