Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who has more up side Brissett or Eason?

Eason will actually take a chance. Brissett always goes for the easy throw.

• Like 2

Eason. He makes decisions much quicker and has a pretty fast release. All we have is college but that’s what he showed.

Kind of off topic I noticed in some pictures of Jacoby and he looks like he has slimmed down. Even rivers looks like he has some.

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

They both have strong  arms, but Eason  is younger. 

I think we’ve seen Brissett at his peak. We haven’t seen Eason at his so I’m gonna go with Eason at this point in time

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no idea and I don’t think anyone else does either.   We all have opinions, but none of us really knows.   

That's why Eason has more upside.  It's unknown.   Brissett's is already known.  Since the bar isn't set too high, Eason gets the nod.  Eason would also be the choice for most downside.    

Upside is basically untapped potential. 

There's an argument for both, but some of this depends on if Eason can actually do anything at the NFL level. I'm no JB super fan, but he can spot start and that's of some value. 

• Like 1

What is more wet, water or sand/?

The question is whether Eason's upside is greater than JB's ceiling of mediocre play?  Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Eason so I'm not ready to proclaim that yet.

This is like asking which fork truck driver has a better chance at management.  Both are probably decent guys but chances are neither of them will be working there in 7 years and one of them won’t be driving a fork truck at all.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

This is like asking which fork truck driver has a better chance at management.  Both are probably decent guys but chances are neither of them will be working there in 7 years and one of them won’t be driving a fork truck at all.  

Good analogy.   I would add to it:

Forklift driver "A" had been a supervisor for a couple years and was demoted because he wasn't that good at it.  So he has experience and would make the transition into management a little easier, but his potential is limited to being a mediocre supervisor.   

Forklift driver "B" was recently hired with being a supervisor in mind.  

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Myles said:

Good analogy.   I would add to it:

Forklift driver "A" had been a supervisor for a couple years and was demoted because he wasn't that good at it.  So he has experience and would make the transition into management a little easier, but his potential is limited to being a mediocre supervisor.   

Forklift driver "B" was recently hired with being a supervisor in mind.  

I honestly don’t think they are counting on Eason to be a franchise QB.  He was drafted bc it was very good value in the 4th round.  I bet the real expectation is for him to be a high quality back up.  I’m sure they would love to catch lightning in a bottle but most likely Eason won’t pan out like the majority of drafted QBs despite pro quality physical talent.  I could be wrong, nfl teams try forcing square pegs into round holes all the time. Look at Malik Hooker...

• Like 1

Can't answer that question.  IMO, I think we've seen what JB is going to give us.  He's decent when he's not injured.  But I don't think anyone expects much more out of him than that.

We know nothing about Eason.  I keep hearing how he didn't play well against good D's in college.  That could be on the coaching staff.  All we know is that he has the right measurables.  Guys like Montana and Brady didn't.

I don’t think I have enough information at this point to form an opinion.

I think Jacoby is caught somewhere between a top-tier backup and a low-tier starter.  But he’s still young and I’d say it’s quite possible he could improve a lot.  He has great arm strength and is one of the NFL’s best at playing through contact.  But he doesn’t have very good field vision, isn’t all that mobile, throws a lot of short, hard to catch bullets, and is generally too cautious.

I’ll reserve any judgment on Eason until I have a chance to see him play live against NFL defenses.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I honestly don’t think they are counting on Eason to be a franchise QB.  He was drafted bc it was very good value in the 4th round.  I bet the real expectation is for him to be a high quality back up.  I’m sure they would love to catch lightning in a bottle but most likely Eason won’t pan out like the majority of drafted QBs despite pro quality physical talent.  I could be wrong, nfl teams try forcing square pegs into round holes all the time. Look at Malik Hooker...

I think you are correct.   I'm sure Ballard seen some potential of him making a good starter, but that is just potential.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I think Jacoby is caught somewhere between a top-tier backup and a low-tier starter.  But he’s still young and I’d say it’s quite possible he could improve a lot.  He has great arm strength and is one of the NFL’s best at playing through contact.  But he doesn’t have very good field vision, isn’t all that mobile, throws a lot of short, hard to catch bullets, and is generally too cautious.

I’ll reserve any judgment on Eason until I have a chance to see him play live against NFL defenses.

I disagree with that.   He has the same flaws as when he came out of college.   He hasn't improved those flaws.  he's pretty much a .500 starter which is great for a backup.  

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I don't consider turning 28 this season to be very young, even for a QB... It's by no means long in the tooth, but you also have to consider that most of his statistical numbers have stayed steady from college, through last year... Eight years of plateaued production, including years playing behind some great QBs, and for great coaches.... Doesn't give any sign of promising trajectory, or hint at untapped potential.  He's what he is at this point, like most 28 yr old QBs.

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree with that.   He has the same flaws as when he came out of college.   He hasn't improved those flaws.  he's pretty much a .500 starter which is great for a backup.  

Posted at the same time ..lol

• Like 1

Jacoby's 5 years older than Eason.  Not saying he has hit his ceiling quite yet, as I don't think last year was the best year to judge him (injuries to WRs/TEs and drops, plus a nagging injury to Brissett and a fairly vanilla playbook for most of the year didn't help him, too much -- was part of that vanilla play book due to Brissett's limited ability, probably, but I think it could have also be attributed to him losing Funchess for  the year, Ebron for a good chunk of it and TY and Campbell going down or playing with obvious limitations for good chunks of the year).  While I think Jacoby could improve from last year, especially with more talent around him, I don't think he's too far away from his ceiling.  

From the age and experience alone, I think Eason is the default for having more upside.  We are pretty sure what Jacoby can do.  Eason has a better arm and they are similar athletically (Eason being slightly faster straight away, Brissett being slightly better in agility drills and leaping, at least according to their combine).  Eason is >2 inches taller than Brissett and (even though he has a smaller sample size) showed to be a bit better in college than Brissett (albeit in a totally different program).  

Personally, I think Rivers is just about as good as any QB for Eason to learn from for a year or 2.  I'm not sure how the covid is impacting a rookie QB's ability to learn from a future HOF vet, but I feel almost undoubtedly that Eason has more potential than Brissett, in large part due to the fact that we already have a very good idea of what Brissett can bring to the NFL.

• Thanks 1

Hard to say. Brissett has so much experience....where Eason has zilch. I will say that Eason has more intestinal fortitude to stick a football through a coin slot at 30 yards. I honestly hope that both QB's just ooze potential this season. That would be a best case scenario for the Colts. 

Eason has more upside than Brissett. Eason is the high risk/high reward guy that has a shot of becoming your franchise QB in a few years. He's like a better Chad Kelly. He can also flop completely though. Still not bad for a 4th round pick. Brissett is the safe guy with a high floor/low ceiling that is a game manager. You might win a game or two with him if Rivers gets hurt. If needed for the season like last year or 2017 though, you will have a losing record.

Brissett is a good backup, but pray you don't need him for more than that this year. Eason has a possibility to be a solid starter in this league if he gets good advice from Rivers and Reich, and works hard. Brissett will be on the team as a backup for one more year, and probably go to another team as a backup once FA happens next year. Eason has upside to either be our backup next year, or in his best-case-scenario, start for us if he takes a huge step forward within a years time.

17 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I don't consider turning 28 this season to be very young, even for a QB... It's by no means long in the tooth, but you also have to consider that most of his statistical numbers have stayed steady from college, through last year... Eight years of plateaued production, including years playing behind some great QBs, and for great coaches.... Doesn't give any sign of promising trajectory, or hint at untapped potential.  He's what he is at this point, like most 28 yr old QBs.

Posted at the same time ..lol

Kurt Warner was 28 when he started his first NFL game.  And he ended up in Canton.

I’m not necessarily saying that Brissett has the potential to be a top-tier starting QB.  As I said, I think he’s one of those guys caught between being a terrific backup and a mediocre starter.  But (a) most of his positive qualities are unteachable, (b) most of his negative qualities are teachable, and (c) his career to this point has turned a lot — both good and bad — on luck (no pun intended).

Let’s not forget that, when he got hurt last year, we were a couple of Vinny shanks away from being 6-1...and this with Brissett having become the starter under tough circumstances.  One of those wins was against the Chiefs...on the road.

So it’s not like he’s been awful.  I do think Jacoby still has room and the capability for improvement.  But you can’t compare him to a kid who hasn’t played a snap against NFL defenses.  Eason’s a complete unknown at this time.

I think JB's biggest negative that may not be fixable is his lack of confidence in making the iffy throw. You just don't get the perfect set up on every pass. Sometimes you just have to take a chance and let her rip. Sometimes it works and sometimes it goes the other way. The best QBs most of the time make it work. You have to trust you're physical abilities which JB has and you receivers, which he didn't have last years to make it work. I'm not sure that can be taught. Every successful QB/PG I've know in my life had that confidence in spades.

• Like 1

Reich mentioned this week that Jacoby has got s better grasp of the offense and I think he said he is processing things quicker. Who knows if it’s true. Only way we will find out is if rivers gets hurt or ends up with  Also looks like Jacoby has shed some pounds. He looks much slimmer.

58 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Reich mentioned this week that Jacoby has got s better grasp of the offense and I think he said he is processing things quicker. Who knows if it’s true. Only way we will find out is if rivers gets hurt or ends up with  Also looks like Jacoby has shed some pounds. He looks much slimmer.

Why would you say “who knows if it’s true”? 

Why would Reich lie?   What’s in it for him?

And why would this be hard to believe?   It’s the third year in the system for JB, so he has a huge head start over Eason.  Wouldn’t you expect the veteran to be ahead of the rookie in learning and understanding the system?  Does that seem unreasonable?   It takes most rookies a long time to pick up their first NFL system.

Remember...    even the great Patrick Mahomes sat out almost his entire rookie season.   He played one game.   Even Lamar Jackson didn’t play much as a rookie and even when he did they prepared a small limited number of plays for him and that’s all he was allowed to do.   That’s the way it is for MOST rookies.  

Guys like Andrew Luck are the exception to the rule. 

• Thanks 1