Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update 8/12: Howard Mudd has died (former Colts assistant coach)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/02/howard-mudd-seriously-injured-in-motorcycle-crash/

Howard Mudd seriously injured in motorcycle crash

Howard Mudd, a longtime NFL assistant who is considered one of the best offensive line coaches in league history, has been hospitalized after a motorcycle crash.

Mudd is in the intensive care unit at a Seattle hospital and will need multiple surgeries for injuries described as “a fractured pelvis and spine,” according to FOX 59 in Indianapolis.

A family friend described the 78-year-old Mudd as “awake on and off.”

Mudd played college football at Michigan State and was drafted by the 49ers in 1964. He had a seven-year NFL career and played in three Pro Bowls, then he had a decades-long career as an offensive line coach with the Chargers, 49ers, Seahawks, Browns, Chiefs, Colts and Eagles.

• Sad 21

Uggh, poor guy. Had a friend have something similar, literally broke everything from a riding accident. Sucks to hear because he's an older guy.

Get better man.

This is why I would never ride a motorcycle. You could operate it to perfection, but all it takes is one bozo (drunk, texting, etc.) to cripple you, if they don't kill you in the process.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

This is why I would never ride a motorcycle. You could operate it to perfection, but all it takes is one bozo (drunk, texting, etc.) to cripple you, if they don't kill you in the process.

Literally the ONLY reason I also never got into it. My 3 closest friends ride and it would probably be a great time. I'm just not willing to risk it because I'm not trying to get into a situation where I'd need months to recover or flat out die.

Granted you can die anywhere, but people are terrible drivers in general. Literally a few days ago I saw someone rear end a car because the woman was obviously making a tik tock video or live streaming or whatnot because she was dancing and singing while driving and I could see her sort of making out with her phone and pointing at it as you would if you were making a video and trying to 'connect' with your audience.

• Like 1

In 1981 I was rear ended coming eastbound out if the spaghetti bowl on I-70. I never seen it coming.

Me and the bike hit the guard rail and flipped into the west bound lanes. 5 cars crashed into each other to keep from running over me. If not for the helmet I was wearing I have no doubt I wouldn't be here. 

The lady hit and ran and as luck would have it someone got her plate number. She said she didn't see me. 

Riding a motor cycle is dangerous enough but to ride one without a helmet is not very smart. 

Indiana is behind most all other states in most things. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

There have been numerous times in my life i considered a street bike.  The open road.....wind in your hair......  freedom!  Then something like this happens and reminds me how dangerous it really is.  People just dont see bikers.  I prefer to have some metal around me for a little protection at least.  Almost bought my “1st bike” in Florida, at college, in the late 80s.  A yamaha seca turbo.  (Woulda went well with my saab 900 turbo i drove at school). Before i finalized sale on bike, a fraternity bro died on a bike. That started my resistance to riding the streets.

Wonderful fun, but just too risky for me. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

In 1981 I was rear ended coming eastbound out if the spaghetti bowl on I-70. I never seen it coming.

Me and the bike hit the guard rail and flipped into the west bound lanes. 5 cars crashed into each other to keep from running over me. If not for the helmet I was wearing I have no doubt I wouldn't be here. 

The lady hit and ran and as luck would have it someone got her plate number. She said she didn't see me. 

Riding a motor cycle is dangerous enough but to ride one without a helmet is not very smart. 

PA has no helmet law either now.  CRAZY really.  People in this state have 20 guns each for “protection” , but they dont see the value in helmets, or masks for that matter.  I dont think “we’ll” be winning the national state intelligence olympics any time soon.

We’re damn good at huntin’, fishin’, bowlin’ , and loud obnoxious diesel pickup buildin’ tho. Maybe they could be worked in as events.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

First of all, prayers and good thoughts out to Howard.

Secondly...will you guys knock it off.  I’m about to buy a new bike and my wife doesn’t need to see this.

Seriously though, you always have to be super aware while riding, and like others said, it’s the people in cars that are the danger.  Also, I go full gear, all the time.  No matter how hot it is.  

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Damn man, that had to freak you out! I have never been on a bike and never will. Well maybe a bicycle lmao Big wheel when I was a little kid. On a serious note, riding a bike is very dangerous. When my step-dad bought his Harley, I told him mom is never getting on that thing. 

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Damn man, that had to freak you out! I have never been on a bike and never will. Well maybe a bicycle lmao Big wheel when I was a little kid. On a serious note, riding a bike is very dangerous. When my step-dad bought his Harley, I told him mom is never getting on that thing. 

I haven't been on a motor cycle since so yes it did freak me out. 

I was also wearing a very heavy leather bomber jacket that saved my right arm and back from getting road burn. It still amazes me the only injury I had was a broken ankle. I missed 12 weeks of work. I still have pain in that ankle at times, especially when the weather turns cold. 

Thank goodness there was no serious injury to the people who were driving the cars involved.

One good thing that came out of it was when my oldest grandson wanted to get a motor cycle. I dug out that old busted up helmet that had been in the garage all this time and showed it to him. He changed his mind and bought a car. Thank goodness for that anyway. 

• Like 1

I feel sorry for Mudd with those injuries he has a long, painful road ahead of him.  Bad drivers are everywhere so you have to be extra aware on a bike.  I agree with CrazyColt, riding a motorcycle without a helmet is beyond stupid,  I don't think it's something the government should create a law about though.  If someone wants to be stupid, then that is their prerogative, you cannot legislate the stupid out of people.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I feel sorry for Mudd with those injuries he has a long, painful road ahead of him.  Bad drivers are everywhere so you have to be extra aware on a bike.  I agree with CrazyColt, riding a motorcycle without a helmet is beyond stupid,  I don't think it's something the government should create a law about though.  If someone wants to be stupid, then that is their prerogative, you cannot legislate the stupid out of people.

True.  The problem is when people do stupid things that cause the rest of us to bail them out.  Smokers and the obese increase health care costs for us all, for example.

Anyway, back to the Colts and Mudd.  I hope he recovers soon.  The older you get, the harder it is to bounce back.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

True.  The problem is when people do stupid things that cause the rest of us to bail them out.  Smokers and the obese increase health care costs for us all, for example.

So the government should legislate caloric intake and physical activity?

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Anyway, back to the Colts and Mudd.  I hope he recovers soon.  The older you get, the harder it is to bounce back.

Ain't that the truth.

35 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So the government should legislate caloric intake and physical activity?

Ain't that the truth.

No.  It was more of an observation on how stupidity affects is all.  I'm more for personal, not legislative responsibility.  

• Like 2

My uncle died in a motorcycle accident. He hit a rock, and the bike threw him into a telephone pole collapsing his lungs. He was dead before he made it to the hospital. They said a helmet would t have saved him. 

Several years before that, a lady pulled out in front of him, he tboned her, went flying, and landed on his head. He had several staples and a plate inserted into his head. Lost a lot of memory which fortunately came back after a few months. A helmet would have saved him a lot of pain and suffering. 

As you can see, he didn't learn because he wasn't wearing a helmet during the second accident.... not that it would have saved him.... 

I don't think its worth it to ride a motorcycle. At least not until they create an iron man type suit for motorcycles.

And besides.... I love SUVs. 

I hope Howard makes it through this intact. If not, he definitely lived a full life, which a lot of people can't say. 

• Sad 2

Man, I’m having a baby in 11 days and this entire summer I have told my friends I’m seriously considering selling my Harley bc I’m going to be a dad.  I almost got hit by a tractor a couple months ago and it scared the bageezus out of me.  The only reason why I haven’t is momma wants me to keep it bc she likes to ride with me.  Still doesn’t change that I’m scared half of the time to get on it...she told me that will change when little guy is crying a lot and I want out of the house lol

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Man, I’m having a baby in 11 days and this entire summer I have told my friends I’m seriously considering selling my Harley bc I’m going to be a dad.  I almost got hit by a tractor a couple months ago and it scared the bageezus out of me.  The only reason why I haven’t is momma wants me to keep it bc she likes to ride with me.  Still doesn’t change that I’m scared half of the time to get on it...she told me that will change when little guy is crying a lot and I want out of the house lol

Congrats

10 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

My kids (and being around to watch them grow up) is the reason I quit riding.  The two rumbles I had with the concrete convinced me that the 3rd time was gonna be the charm.  Went from being a lifetime athlete to having a lis franc break in my foot in that 2nd crash. Now can’t walk for an hour without severe foot pain, let alone exercise or dance. I’d trade those few years of riding to be pain free this last decade...

Get well Howard Mudd.

10 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I'd love to hear that story!  BTW, riding scared is a good thing.  I hate riding in heavy traffic, and really just ride for the fun of it.  

Congrats on the baby!  Best wishes.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I'd love to hear that story!  BTW, riding scared is a good thing.  I hate riding in heavy traffic, and really just ride for the fun of it.  

Congrats on the baby!  Best wishes.

I was riding from Crawfordsville to just southeast of Monticello and took a back way I had never gone. Came up on a tractor pulling hay equipment.   There was a guy riding on the back of the tractor behind the driver and he waved me to go around.  As I went around the tractor started to turn left into a driveway.  I swerved barely missing him but I had panic braked and the brakes locked up.  I came to a stop about 60 ft past him and the driver was off his tractor yelling at me.  Another driver that was behind me got out and started yelling at the farmer telling him the * 20 something helper had waved me around. I was glad that guy handled it bc my shock had turned to anger and I was ready to knock that guy out.  

• Haha 2
18 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Does she have her own bike or ride with you?  I would say get rid of one or both bikes.  You don't want both parents going down in one accident.

Not trying to be paranoid - just thinking about the kids.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:34 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Helmets save lives and brains. 

Howard's not doing well at this point. His wife provided an update here.

First she said he has:

A pulmonary blood clot making it hard on his heart

Fatty emboli (due to multiple bone fractures) in lungs and brain

These issues are serious and the next 48 hours are critical

Then he suffered another setback:

He is not consistently responding to commands. This is a dramatic change from Sunday. The doctors have ruled out any strokes or seizures as the cause. They presently believe the fatty emboli are causing blockages in his brain. He also is in a state of delirium, which comes and goes. 

He remains on continuous dialysis for his kidneys, but they have had to step back their effort to pull fluid out of him because it is stressing his heart. At this point, he is not stable enough for surgery on his back or pelvis. 

• Sad 4
On 8/2/2020 at 10:34 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I had a street bike in the 70's.Decided would sell it and was riding it for the last time to store it for the winter at my brother's. On the way a lady turned left in front of me leaving me no path to escape as cars in the opposite bound lane ,she across my lane and car in the side road she was turning into. Ended up smacking her in the side throwing me across her car onto the road. No VISIBLE injury, but torn nerves across shoulder resulting in loss of use of arm, and amputation 2 yrs later. Chronic pain from the nerve injury ever since. Thank God NC had a helmet law. My helmet was cracked. Without it??? Dead or serious brain injury. Was scary enough on the road 50 plus yrs ago. Would NOT want to be out there on a bike now.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Howard's not doing well at this point. His wife provided an update here.

First she said he has:

A pulmonary blood clot making it hard on his heart

Fatty emboli (due to multiple bone fractures) in lungs and brain

These issues are serious and the next 48 hours are critical

Then he suffered another setback:

He is not consistently responding to commands. This is a dramatic change from Sunday. The doctors have ruled out any strokes or seizures as the cause. They presently believe the fatty emboli are causing blockages in his brain. He also is in a state of delirium, which comes and goes. 

He remains on continuous dialysis for his kidneys, but they have had to step back their effort to pull fluid out of him because it is stressing his heart. At this point, he is not stable enough for surgery on his back or pelvis. 

Thanks you for posting this.  Very sad but thank you.

Thoughts and prayers go out to Howard and his family. Praying that he can recover from his injuries. 

My younger brother David had a motorcycle that he even took me for a few rides on. I know he had his bike slip on some gravel or something when he was turning a corner and and he and the bike both went down. Luckily his only injury was a broken leg I believe.  RIP David, sure do miss you !!!

Another update, seems there's an infection now:

It’s been a rough 36 hours. It has been one step forward, one step back, and now one step to the side. From what we are gathering, this is extremely common in the ICU and why the doctors are continually pressing for improvement.

On Saturday, his echocardiogram showed some improvement. Saturday through Sunday Howard was successfully taken off of one of three medications for his right heart, and the dosage for another was lowered. We counted all of these as very positive steps forward.

This morning, when Shirley walked in the room she said, “Hey H, I’m here.” And he opened his eyes really wide and turned his head in her direction. This was a great feeling!! As we all know, Howard is quite a character and so expressive with his face and eyes.

Unfortunately, today has been a step back. His blood pressure has been all over the place today. They also had hoped by getting him off of the one heart medication that his heart rhythm would be better. But it hasn’t been the case. Finally, his white blood cell count is up and they suspect there’s an infection somewhere. They have taken a culture this afternoon and started him on antibiotics. The nurse suspects it could be pneumonia based on the fact that he’s been on a ventilator and been lying flat on his back for more than a week.

We continue to focus on providing him as much love and support as possible, which is all greatly helped by the love and prayers that all of you are sharing with him. If you’re inclined to prayer, we ask that the right side of his heart is repaired fully, his blood pressure is stabilized, and his infection (wherever it is) is fully resolved quickly.

• Sad 1

RIP Howard.... Used to work with his step son, met Howard a handful of times .. always a class act, and a great guy from everything I heard and saw.  You'll be sorely missed big guy!

• Like 1
  • Superman changed the title to Update 8/12: Howard Mudd has died (former Colts assistant coach)