Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
CF4L

Howard Mudd seriously injured in motorcycle crash

Recommended Posts

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/02/howard-mudd-seriously-injured-in-motorcycle-crash/

Howard Mudd seriously injured in motorcycle crash



Howard Mudd, a longtime NFL assistant who is considered one of the best offensive line coaches in league history, has been hospitalized after a motorcycle crash.

Mudd is in the intensive care unit at a Seattle hospital and will need multiple surgeries for injuries described as “a fractured pelvis and spine,” according to FOX 59 in Indianapolis.

A family friend described the 78-year-old Mudd as “awake on and off.”

Mudd played college football at Michigan State and was drafted by the 49ers in 1964. He had a seven-year NFL career and played in three Pro Bowls, then he had a decades-long career as an offensive line coach with the Chargers, 49ers, Seahawks, Browns, Chiefs, Colts and Eagles.

  • Sad 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uggh, poor guy. Had a friend have something similar, literally broke everything from a riding accident. Sucks to hear because he's an older guy.

 

Get better man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I would never ride a motorcycle. You could operate it to perfection, but all it takes is one bozo (drunk, texting, etc.) to cripple you, if they don't kill you in the process.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

This is why I would never ride a motorcycle. You could operate it to perfection, but all it takes is one bozo (drunk, texting, etc.) to cripple you, if they don't kill you in the process.

Literally the ONLY reason I also never got into it. My 3 closest friends ride and it would probably be a great time. I'm just not willing to risk it because I'm not trying to get into a situation where I'd need months to recover or flat out die.

 

Granted you can die anywhere, but people are terrible drivers in general. Literally a few days ago I saw someone rear end a car because the woman was obviously making a tik tock video or live streaming or whatnot because she was dancing and singing while driving and I could see her sort of making out with her phone and pointing at it as you would if you were making a video and trying to 'connect' with your audience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1981 I was rear ended coming eastbound out if the spaghetti bowl on I-70. I never seen it coming.

Me and the bike hit the guard rail and flipped into the west bound lanes. 5 cars crashed into each other to keep from running over me. If not for the helmet I was wearing I have no doubt I wouldn't be here. 

The lady hit and ran and as luck would have it someone got her plate number. She said she didn't see me. 

Riding a motor cycle is dangerous enough but to ride one without a helmet is not very smart. 

Indiana is behind most all other states in most things. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

This is why I would never ride a motorcycle. You could operate it to perfection, but all it takes is one bozo (drunk, texting, etc.) to cripple you, if they don't kill you in the process.

There have been numerous times in my life i considered a street bike.  The open road.....wind in your hair......  freedom!  Then something like this happens and reminds me how dangerous it really is.  People just dont see bikers.  I prefer to have some metal around me for a little protection at least.  Almost bought my “1st bike” in Florida, at college, in the late 80s.  A yamaha seca turbo.  (Woulda went well with my saab 900 turbo i drove at school). Before i finalized sale on bike, a fraternity bro died on a bike. That started my resistance to riding the streets.

  Wonderful fun, but just too risky for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

In 1981 I was rear ended coming eastbound out if the spaghetti bowl on I-70. I never seen it coming.

Me and the bike hit the guard rail and flipped into the west bound lanes. 5 cars crashed into each other to keep from running over me. If not for the helmet I was wearing I have no doubt I wouldn't be here. 

The lady hit and ran and as luck would have it someone got her plate number. She said she didn't see me. 

Riding a motor cycle is dangerous enough but to ride one without a helmet is not very smart. 

Indiana is behind most all other states in most things. 

PA has no helmet law either now.  CRAZY really.  People in this state have 20 guns each for “protection” , but they dont see the value in helmets, or masks for that matter.  I dont think “we’ll” be winning the national state intelligence olympics any time soon.

We’re damn good at huntin’, fishin’, bowlin’ , and loud obnoxious diesel pickup buildin’ tho. Maybe they could be worked in as events.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, prayers and good thoughts out to Howard.

 

Secondly...will you guys knock it off.  I’m about to buy a new bike and my wife doesn’t need to see this.

 

Seriously though, you always have to be super aware while riding, and like others said, it’s the people in cars that are the danger.  Also, I go full gear, all the time.  No matter how hot it is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

In 1981 I was rear ended coming eastbound out if the spaghetti bowl on I-70. I never seen it coming.

Me and the bike hit the guard rail and flipped into the west bound lanes. 5 cars crashed into each other to keep from running over me. If not for the helmet I was wearing I have no doubt I wouldn't be here. 

The lady hit and ran and as luck would have it someone got her plate number. She said she didn't see me. 

Riding a motor cycle is dangerous enough but to ride one without a helmet is not very smart. 

Indiana is behind most all other states in most things. 

Damn man, that had to freak you out! I have never been on a bike and never will. Well maybe a bicycle lmao Big wheel when I was a little kid. On a serious note, riding a bike is very dangerous. When my step-dad bought his Harley, I told him mom is never getting on that thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Damn man, that had to freak you out! I have never been on a bike and never will. Well maybe a bicycle lmao Big wheel when I was a little kid. On a serious note, riding a bike is very dangerous. When my step-dad bought his Harley, I told him mom is never getting on that thing. 

I haven't been on a motor cycle since so yes it did freak me out. 

I was also wearing a very heavy leather bomber jacket that saved my right arm and back from getting road burn. It still amazes me the only injury I had was a broken ankle. I missed 12 weeks of work. I still have pain in that ankle at times, especially when the weather turns cold. 

Thank goodness there was no serious injury to the people who were driving the cars involved.

One good thing that came out of it was when my oldest grandson wanted to get a motor cycle. I dug out that old busted up helmet that had been in the garage all this time and showed it to him. He changed his mind and bought a car. Thank goodness for that anyway. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel sorry for Mudd with those injuries he has a long, painful road ahead of him.  Bad drivers are everywhere so you have to be extra aware on a bike.  I agree with CrazyColt, riding a motorcycle without a helmet is beyond stupid,  I don't think it's something the government should create a law about though.  If someone wants to be stupid, then that is their prerogative, you cannot legislate the stupid out of people.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I feel sorry for Mudd with those injuries he has a long, painful road ahead of him.  Bad drivers are everywhere so you have to be extra aware on a bike.  I agree with CrazyColt, riding a motorcycle without a helmet is beyond stupid,  I don't think it's something the government should create a law about though.  If someone wants to be stupid, then that is their prerogative, you cannot legislate the stupid out of people.

 

True.  The problem is when people do stupid things that cause the rest of us to bail them out.  Smokers and the obese increase health care costs for us all, for example.

 

Anyway, back to the Colts and Mudd.  I hope he recovers soon.  The older you get, the harder it is to bounce back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

True.  The problem is when people do stupid things that cause the rest of us to bail them out.  Smokers and the obese increase health care costs for us all, for example.

So the government should legislate caloric intake and physical activity?

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

Anyway, back to the Colts and Mudd.  I hope he recovers soon.  The older you get, the harder it is to bounce back.

Ain't that the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So the government should legislate caloric intake and physical activity?

Ain't that the truth.

 

No.  It was more of an observation on how stupidity affects is all.  I'm more for personal, not legislative responsibility.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My uncle died in a motorcycle accident. He hit a rock, and the bike threw him into a telephone pole collapsing his lungs. He was dead before he made it to the hospital. They said a helmet would t have saved him. 

 

Several years before that, a lady pulled out in front of him, he tboned her, went flying, and landed on his head. He had several staples and a plate inserted into his head. Lost a lot of memory which fortunately came back after a few months. A helmet would have saved him a lot of pain and suffering. 

 

As you can see, he didn't learn because he wasn't wearing a helmet during the second accident.... not that it would have saved him.... 

 

I don't think its worth it to ride a motorcycle. At least not until they create an iron man type suit for motorcycles.

 

And besides.... I love SUVs. 

 

I hope Howard makes it through this intact. If not, he definitely lived a full life, which a lot of people can't say. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Douzer said:

Get well Howard! We can compare scars and titanium parts!

I could join that party myself. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I’m having a baby in 11 days and this entire summer I have told my friends I’m seriously considering selling my Harley bc I’m going to be a dad.  I almost got hit by a tractor a couple months ago and it scared the bageezus out of me.  The only reason why I haven’t is momma wants me to keep it bc she likes to ride with me.  Still doesn’t change that I’m scared half of the time to get on it...she told me that will change when little guy is crying a lot and I want out of the house lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Man, I’m having a baby in 11 days and this entire summer I have told my friends I’m seriously considering selling my Harley bc I’m going to be a dad.  I almost got hit by a tractor a couple months ago and it scared the bageezus out of me.  The only reason why I haven’t is momma wants me to keep it bc she likes to ride with me.  Still doesn’t change that I’m scared half of the time to get on it...she told me that will change when little guy is crying a lot and I want out of the house lol

Congrats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...