Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How will we know which kicker to roll with with no preseason games?

I imagine they will do what they can to replicate real kicks in camp, with applying a rush to try and block kicks.  I know it's not the same, but there's got to be a way to evaluate the kickers while in camp.

I would give the nod to the incumbent kicker over the rookie, just because he has NFL game experience.  Maybe with the expanded practice squad rosters, we can keep the rookie on that in the event there's a need to replace McLaughlin.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The blank guy hasn't  kicked on a live nfl game yet so we don't  know if he'd choke. McLaughlin  missed a key kick last year as well.

McLaughlin has made some good kicks as well. You don't instantly become clutch, you start with reliable and that bleeds into clutch. He is still the front runner, IMO. 

AV talked one time about his first season with Parcels would set up AC for a FG to end practice.  If he made it the team was done.  If he missed then the team did extra work.  That is the best way I can think of to simulate pressure situations.

• Like 6

Reich and Ballard mentioned this week that they will set up game pressure senerios. I imagine Chase will have the advantage since he has already kicked in games. The big question is does the other one go on the PS since we have covid to deal with.

• Like 3

Yah, like Chloe said Riech mentioned they will do mini improvised competitions during  before and during practices and it will be true competition for the spot. I personally don't expect us to keep both and I don't think whoever gets dropped will get through waivers easily. 

• Like 1

Unless Blank poops the bed in practice I predict he will be the guy to start the season. Stronger leg will allow him to do kickoffs too. 

Rigo & Rigo kicking tandem! How can you not root for that?

I expect they will let them battle it out in camp.  If it is even in camp I expect Blankenship to get the job and they will try to trade Chase.  I actually think they would be successful in trading him.  

If Blank goes to waivers he gets claimed, best college kicker last year and could be very special. Chase did ok but was waived by 4 teams last year so 4 teams all said no he isnt the guy ( I know two of them he was filling in for injured starters BUT if you are special you stay and he cost San Fran a win with a miss), I think he can be a lower end NFL kicker but dont  see special

It's not like these guys are feeling no pressure whatsoever.  They're both kicking for their livelihoods.  Their jobs.  Their paychecks.  Their families. 

With no preseason games, whichever doesn't make the team will likely be out of the league this year.  

There is NO shortage of pressure on these two in practice. 

On 7/31/2020 at 9:55 AM, Stephen said:

The blank guy hasn't  kicked on a live nfl game yet so we don't  know if he'd choke. McLaughlin  missed a key kick last year as well.

Pretty sure they will arrive at their conclusion by what they see in practice or they will flip a coin.  

Reich intends to pit the two against one another in what many would consider Vinatieri's specialty: high-stress situations. The Colts coach explained that he will do his best to fabricate those situations during and after practice. One can be sure that without the added test of preseason games, the kickers' performance during these high-stress situations will go a long way in determining who wins the competition.  

“They'll get all of their normal routines," Reich said. "But as a team, we'll create more team atmosphere, team kicking drills that will be heightened and weighted more heavily in the kicking competition." 

Though Reich didn’t submit a “favorite” to win the battle, McLaughlin surely has the leg up in that he’s a somewhat proven NFL commodity. Last season, the undrafted free agent performed admirably in what amounted to a four-game audition with the Colts after Vinatieri succumbed to injury. Arriving in Indianapolis in the high-pressure role of replacing the kicker many consider the greatest of all time, McLaughlin drilled 5-of-6 field goals and all 11 of his extra points in those games. His performance in Vinatieri’s stead earned him a one-year contract with the Colts immediately following the season. 

Of course, the man they call “Hot Rod” brings an impressive resume to the battle as well. During four years at SEC powerhouse Georgia, Blankenship was a model of accuracy and consistency. He connected on all 200 of his extra points and finished his Bulldog career an 82.5% field goal kicker and the school’s all-time leading scorer. 

For his efforts -- and to keep him away from other teams -- the Colts handed Blankenship a $20,000 signing bonus, a hefty number among undrafted free agents. Despite McLaughlin’s incumbent status, Blankenship’s price tag and Reich comments foretell would should be an equal and open competition for the job. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/07/29/colts-vinatieri-era-indy-seemingly-over-mclaughlin-blankenship-battle-job/5536851002/

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, That Guy said:

It's not like these guys are feeling no pressure whatsoever.  They're both kicking for their livelihoods.  Their jobs.  Their paychecks.  Their families. 

With no preseason games, whichever doesn't make the team will likely be out of the league this year.  

There is NO shortage of pressure on these two in practice. 

It will definitely be weird to see how no preseason games or inter-squad practices impacts players who get cut moving to other teams, getting claimed of practice squads, etc.. I usually look forward to the 3rd week of preseason to watch those last 8-10 guys fighting for a position make plays (good or bad) which cost them or earn them a spot on the final roster.  

That said, I think Blankenship and McLaughin will likely find homes in the NFL this year (maybe we move Blankenship to the PS and he stays around a while)... just because of how many teams needed kicker replacements last year (e.g., McLaughlin bouncing around 4 teams) and because Blankenship had a heckuva collegiate career and McLaughin played fairly well (aside from 2-3 big kicks missed) over the course of the season.  

I feel like guys who were on the verge of making rosters at other positions will have more of a disadvantage (late round rookies and UDFA or 2nd year PS guys) since there will be no tape of them playing other NFL quality players in preseason games and since it'll be tough (unless coaching staffs are that open with eachother) to understand why a guy got cut (e.g., if we cut a guy who we really like and stow him on the PS, does Reich just tell another team's coach "oh the guy is very lazy, has talent, but out of shape, we don't like his work ethic but will give him some time to see if he can change?" or does he say "man, we really wished we could've got the guy on our real squad, but we decided to keep a player at another position for that last spot? this guy's gonna be asolid NFL player someday.." ?).  

4 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

It will definitely be weird to see how no preseason games or inter-squad practices impacts players who get cut moving to other teams, getting claimed of practice squads, etc.. I usually look forward to the 3rd week of preseason to watch those last 8-10 guys fighting for a position make plays (good or bad) which cost them or earn them a spot on the final roster.  

That said, I think Blankenship and McLaughin will likely find homes in the NFL this year (maybe we move Blankenship to the PS and he stays around a while)... just because of how many teams needed kicker replacements last year (e.g., McLaughlin bouncing around 4 teams) and because Blankenship had a heckuva collegiate career and McLaughin played fairly well (aside from 2-3 big kicks missed) over the course of the season.  

I feel like guys who were on the verge of making rosters at other positions will have more of a disadvantage (late round rookies and UDFA or 2nd year PS guys) since there will be no tape of them playing other NFL quality players in preseason games and since it'll be tough (unless coaching staffs are that open with eachother) to understand why a guy got cut (e.g., if we cut a guy who we really like and stow him on the PS, does Reich just tell another team's coach "oh the guy is very lazy, has talent, but out of shape, we don't like his work ethic but will give him some time to see if he can change?" or does he say "man, we really wished we could've got the guy on our real squad, but we decided to keep a player at another position for that last spot? this guy's gonna be asolid NFL player someday.." ?).  

It will hurt the street FAs(Veterans) more

18 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It will hurt the street FAs(Veterans) more

I'm not too sure about that... most veterans have one or both of the following: (1) tape to show previous performance at the NFL level, (2) a connection to coaches, players or other personnel from different teams (e.g., Dontrelle Inman - somewhat a journeyman who spent time in SD/LA and had some familiarity with Reich/Sirianni - we needed a WR in 2018, and picked him up in mid-October - IMO, the familiarity with our coaching staff had to have played a role in that, as there were plenty of other WRs available with similar credentials - he signed with NE, got released, went to LA where he had familiarity and got released again, then signed with Indy late in the season when we had an injury bug -- again, I think his familiarity with the coaching staff, players and organization had to have played a role in why he was the one we picked up late in the season instead of one of many other FAs looking for a job).  

I could be wrong, but my guess is, if covid or injury bugs hit teams mid-season, they're going to be looking for guys like Inman who they know have some familiarity with their systems/players/coaches and who they have seen perform at the NFL level over a guy like DeMichael Harris (our UDFA WR from 2020) who seemingly has a lot of upside and raw talent, but who other teams have also never gotten to see at the NFL level and who likely has little or no experience with coaches around the NFL or any previous chemistry with starting QBs throughout the NFL.

7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

@CurBeatElite

The tape also show why they were street FAs and signed Future Contracts

The Colts already cut multiple ones to get to 80

Not really sure what you mean by 'street FA', I guess.

I'm assuming you're talking about guys who have been in the league and currently are unsigned since you mentioned veterans specifically in your first post.  Does a guy who is on the street but is a rookie not count as a street FA?

Do Chester Rogers and Dontrelle Inman count as street FAs? But if we cut a guy like DeMichael Harris, he's not 'street'?  

Anyway, you're right, there is a reason why a lot of guys are still unsigned - because they stunk given their time in the NFL.  Other guys, like Chester Rogers and Inman are probably either asking too much or remain unsigned because they showed they were serviceable players with limited upside and their vet contracts are significantly more than late round/udfa rookie contracts.  That said, if we are in a playoff hunt late in the season and we have 1-3 injuries within our top 3-5WRs, I would bet that a guy like Chester or Inman would have a much higher chance of being signed than a late round rookie or a UDFA who was waived by another team or sitting on another team's practice squad.  This is because both those guys have shown they can be productive (albeit with limitations) and both know the base of our playbook, have familiarity with the coaching staff and multiple players who they'd be lining up alongside of (in Inman's case, he'd even have familiarity catching balls in live NFL games from our starting and backup QB).  

Just now, CurBeatElite said:

Not really sure what you mean by 'street FA', I guess.

I'm assuming you're talking about guys who have been in the league and currently are unsigned since you mentioned veterans specifically in your first post.  Does a guy who is on the street but is a rookie not count as a street FA?

Do Chester Rogers and Dontrelle Inman count as street FAs? But if we cut a guy like DeMichael Harris, he's not 'street'?  

Anyway, you're right, there is a reason why a lot of guys are still unsigned - because they stunk given their time in the NFL.  Other guys, like Chester Rogers and Inman are probably either asking too much or remain unsigned because they showed they were serviceable players with limited upside and their vet contracts are significantly more than late round/udfa rookie contracts.  That said, if we are in a playoff hunt late in the season and we have 1-3 injuries within our top 3-5WRs, I would bet that a guy like Chester or Inman would have a much higher chance of being signed than a late round rookie or a UDFA who was waived by another team or sitting on another team's practice squad.  This is because both those guys have shown they can be productive (albeit with limitations) and both know the base of our playbook, have familiarity with the coaching staff and multiple players who they'd be lining up alongside of (in Inman's case, he'd even have familiarity catching balls in live NFL games from our starting and backup QB).  

When I used Street FAs(veterans) I am talking about the guys who sign Futures contracts

I'm keeping blank. Unless he just absolutely sucks it up in camp. He's a rookie who was the best kicker in college. We know McLaughlin is an ok kicker. But is he the one we can have around for 10+ years. The last time we got rid of a kicker for the guy already on the team he ended up in LA making some pretty dang good kicks for the chargers