Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Hate to Bring Up Old Thread Topics But Who Is The Most Overrated Colt?

Boss7894

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as a player goes, I'd say Jacoby Brissett. There are still people on this forum that still want him on this team with a $20 million dollar contract. Despite the fact we drafted Eason, and have Chad Kelly who could play backup for a year and start if Rivers goes down while Eason learns, a few people still think Brissett could win us a SB if needed to. Knowing what we know from last year, you can't get any more overrated than that. We could literally have 3 or 4 solid depth O-Lineman along with Pinter instead with the same money we're paying him.

47 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

I don't like negativaty but I think it's the kicker...  I remember last year people callin' him the "goat" and he proceeded to miss a field goal and a psd... and me thinkin wth they talkin' about!?  This guy ain't no goat!!

:troll:

I should heed the above emoji. 

if you need to have it explained why Adam Vinateri is the GOAT at that position, then you have obviously never watched football prior to last season or two, you’re just trolling. 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

As far as a player goes, I'd say Jacoby Brissett. There are still people on this forum that still want him on this team with a $20 million dollar contract. Despite the fact we drafted Eason, and have Chad Kelly who could play backup for a year if Rivers goes down while Eason learns, a few people still think Brissett could win us a SB if needed to. Knowing what we know from last year, you can't get any more overrated than that. We could literally have 3 or 4 solid depth O-Lineman along with Pinter instead with the same money we're paying him.

Most overrated on the roster is Chad Kelly,  has never played a single regular season game and people think he’s the next Peyton Manning

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As far as a player goes, I'd say Jacoby Brissett. There are still people on this forum that still want him on this team with a $20 million dollar contract. Despite the fact we drafted Eason, and have Chad Kelly who could play backup for a year and start if Rivers goes down while Eason learns, a few people still think Brissett could win us a SB if needed to. Knowing what we know from last year, you can't get any more overrated than that. We could literally have 3 or 4 solid depth O-Lineman along with Pinter instead with the same money we're paying him.

Oh, Dear God.....       :facepalm:

JB for sure is overrated. When you're getting paid starter money to be a back up, you're overrated. 

I was on the JB train early last year, and by years end, I had abandoned the wild train that came off the tracks. 

I get being loyal. But I just dont agree with keeping JB for the sake of his respect, when we are sure as hell not keeping him past his contract. It simply doesnt make sense. 

The ultimate hope for me is Eason takes over for Rivers, and Kelly backs him up.  But it's looking like Kelly gets cut and JB is backup. It just seems super short sighted to keep JB at this point. 

JB is clearly not worth his contract, or more importantly cap number.  I understand why Ballard did that deal, but it is the biggest black mark on his record...But people act like we get all that money available just by cutting him.  That's not how the cap works, we get minimal cap relief if any by letting him go.  I've said it before, if Rivers heaven forbid suffers a season ending injury or opts out, I don't want to roll the entire season with Brissett.  But if he rolls an ankle midway through the season or tests positive for Covid and has to quarantine for a couple weeks, it's nice to have someone who can at least keep us respectable through that time, and I'm sorry, Kelly and Eason ain't it

And come on, Kelly is easily the most overrated on the team...His entire reputation is built on a couple good 2nd halves of preseason games against 3rd stringers.  Some still expect him to be the savior while I'm looking up the rules for how long into a career you're even allowed to be on a practice squad

34 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Most overrated on the roster is Chad Kelly,  has never played a single regular season game and people think he’s the next Peyton Manning

Show me one person without sarcasm that says Chad Kelly is Peyton Manning. You'd literally have better odds finding someone who said that about Brissett. All we wanted was for him to get a chance when Brissett was getting destroyed, was injured, and we were eliminated from the playoffs. Is that too much to ask?

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Show me one person without sarcasm that says Chad Kelly is Peyton Manning. You'd literally have better odds finding someone who said that about Brissett. All we wanted was for him to get a chance when Brissett was getting destroyed, was injured, and we were eliminated from the playoffs. Is that too much to ask?

Well... since he didn’t get that chance I guess it was too much to ask hahaha... 

Sometimes I really do wish it had happened so this argument would be laid to rest. But I have a feeling it’s going to be one of those “what if” scenarios that goes on and on forever... 

1 hour ago, Boss7894 said:

I don't like negativaty but I think it's the kicker...  I remember last year people callin' him the "goat" and he proceeded to miss a field goal and a psd... and me thinkin wth they talkin' about!?  This guy ain't no goat!!

I’ve been vocal about AV hanging it up for 2 seasons.  I really thought the Colts should’ve hung on to Badgley after his good preseason showing.  It’s been clear for some time that AV’s done.  Father Time is undefeated.

But AV is still rightfully headed to Canton.

As for the most overrated Colt, last year I’d have said Ebron. But he’s thankfully moved on now.  Not sure who I’d give that title to now.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Over and over you keep saying give Kelly a chance. 

Well Ballard and Reich has kept him around waiting for Kelly to show them he deserves a chance and he has yet to do it. 

You even go as far as ragging on Reich insulting him time after time over Kelly.

Why? Do you honestly think you know better than they do? 

Do you see him at the practices? Are you there in the locker room? 

Do you have inside information that none of us does? 

Do you think Ballard or Reich risk losing games just for keeping Kelly on the bench? 

I have news for you. They want to win just as much if not more than the fans do. Their jobs are on the line. All we do is carry on as fans. If they lose their jobs it's a whole different thing having to find another job and uprooting their families. 

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I highly doubt there are (serious) people who think Kelly is Peyton...BUT there were definitely posters who said the Colts were better with JB at QB than they were with Luck...I am like 95% sure that happened.

I think Kelly's potential could be overrated...but since we have yet to see him play in NFL games...nobody can really say that for certain. 

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Brissett wouldn't sniff a super bowl not even as good as this team could be.

5 hours ago, jlid said:

JB is clearly not worth his contract, or more importantly cap number.  I understand why Ballard did that deal, but it is the biggest black mark on his record...But people act like we get all that money available just by cutting him.  That's not how the cap works, we get minimal cap relief if any by letting him go.  I've said it before, if Rivers heaven forbid suffers a season ending injury or opts out, I don't want to roll the entire season with Brissett.  But if he rolls an ankle midway through the season or tests positive for Covid and has to quarantine for a couple weeks, it's nice to have someone who can at least keep us respectable through that time, and I'm sorry, Kelly and Eason ain't it

And come on, Kelly is easily the most overrated on the team...His entire reputation is built on a couple good 2nd halves of preseason games against 3rd stringers.  Some still expect him to be the savior while I'm looking up the rules for how long into a career you're even allowed to be on a practice squad

Kelly's (off field) reputation is well-deserved...but I would say his (on the field) reputation was built on a very good college resume in the SEC...where he beat Bama and tied records in the Sugar Bowl. The potential has obviously been there for a while...so seeing perform well in preseason (regardless of the competition) doesn't take away from that potential...it's just another step in reaching it.

I don't really care about Kelly either way...so I don't know why it's such a controversial topic for some. 

42 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Brissett wouldn't sniff a super bowl not even as good as this team could be.

Yeah...anybody could have seen his regression coming last year...and it coincided with teams adjusting to him. The result was a 2-5 record down the stretch...with JB throwing for 1 TD and <300 yards combined (with a passer rating of like 70) in those two wins against really bad JAC and CAR teams.

JB was arguably the worst QB in the NFL during that stretch...the offense was really bad. It's like people forgot about that stretch of football. 

I don't really get this narrative...that JB can win games...or that he is even the best option to step in and win games if Rivers got hurt. How does the player we saw in the 2nd half of last season give the Colts a better chance to win than even someone like Kelly? At least with Kelly there is the element of surprise because there is little tape on him...and he's got a lively arm and will throw deep.

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Absolutely correct!

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Over and over you keep saying give Kelly a chance. 

Well Ballard and Reich has kept him around waiting for Kelly to show them he deserves a chance and he has yet to do it. 

You even go as far as ragging on Reich insulting him time after time over Kelly.

Why? Do you honestly think you know better than they do? 

Do you see him at the practices? Are you there in the locker room? 

Do you have inside information that none of us does? 

Do you think Ballard or Reich risk losing games just for keeping Kelly on the bench? 

I have news for you. They want to win just as much if not more than the fans do. Their jobs are on the line. All we do is carry on as fans. If they lose their jobs it's a whole different thing having to find another job and uprooting their families. 

He did show them he deserves a chance through the preseason performance and staying out of trouble. They didn't start him. They'd rather destroy Brissett's confidence while he's doing horrible. 

Yes, and Reich deserves the criticism. He screwed up with Vinny, and he screwed up with Brissett. Accept it, your heroes aren't perfect. You're a grown man, this isn't Christmas.

Yes I do know better. I saw it through the season and said it repeatedly last year after every game, as did most of the posters here. I was right without hindsight, and Reich's actions (or lackof) led this team that started 5-2 to a 7-9 record at the end of the year. 

I do not see him at the practices or the locker room, however, if he was really acting up or doing something wrong, it would of been leaked during the year, especially when he wasn't starting over Brissett after he got hurt. By all accounts, Kelly was a model citizen, and there was nothing in practice that kept him from starting besides Reich doing some garbage "old school" test on him to see if he could stay out of trouble for a year.

Just the obvious information that Brissett was hurt, he was struggling and teams had him figured out, and we were eliminated from the playoffs and Reich still wouldn't start Kelly. However, you still should start Kelly to see if you have anything in him, and to get Brissett out of there before destroying his confidence as he continues to struggle. Reich is also guilty of doing that. It isn't all about Kelly.

I believe at some point, the Colts gave up last season. They decided to keep Brissett in every game and selfdestruct. There's no way they thought they could beat the Saints with Brissett at QB, and it got more embarrassing to watch every game. They didn't replace Vinny until they were forced to due to injury, and they did the same with Brissett, only starting him because he was physically able to play and it was sad to see. Just the fact that they signed Rivers in FA and drafted Eason means Brissett is gone after this year and makes it even worse they didn't see what they had in Kelly. Reich is just like Pagano in that sense, loyal to the veteran favorites, and it damages the team.

7 hours ago, csmopar said:

no one said that, ever.  some of us think he might have a shot at beating jacoby if they would give it to him.  

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

the offense was really bad. It's like people forgot about that stretch of football. 

i think some people here did forget about that, any QB that plays like he did in the saints game should be benched imo.  i kind of hope the coaches were tanking the jags game because they along with JB had another really bad game.

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Yea.................................no. 

Yes, leaving in an injured Brissett for the 2nd half as he falls apart and doing nothing about it means they didn't care. Same with Vinny. They just watched helplessly as they lost game after game. Don't use Kelly, destroy Brissett's confidence and let him look bad while probably destroying his trade value is a bad look on Reich. However, you can spin it into anything you want. That's your right. 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes, leaving in an injured Brissett for the 2nd half as he falls apart and doing nothing about it means they didn't care. Same with Vinny. They just watched helplessly as they lost game after game. Don't use Kelly, destroy Brissett's confidence and let him look bad while probably destroying his trade value is a bad look on Reich. However, you can spin it into anything you want. That's your right. 

Jared, you said,

"They decided to keep Brissett in every game and selfdestruct."

and you said to me  "you can spin it into anything you want"?

All good, but...........wow. 

9 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Jared, you said,

"They decided to keep Brissett in every game and selfdestruct."

and you said to me  "you can spin it into anything you want"?

All good, but...........wow. 

I didn't spin it into anything. They had the Kelly option as an out. Win or lose with him. It didn't matter at that point. You either lose like Brissett would of, or Kelly surprises and you have a possible franchise QB. Either way, you gain information. You're denying the team didn't selfdestruct when Reich purposely kept Brissett in there despite the fact he was hurt, defenses figured him out, and we were dropping games like flies. Brissett couldn't even hardly pass for a td. He was done in the second half and Reich didn't care. A waste of time as a fan to watch and very insulting towards the fans to put that product out. I don't want to hear Luck retired. At that point, Kelly was better than Brissett for the reasons I listed above and it would of been a lot more entertaining as there was some possible potential there for a future QB.

33 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He did show them he deserves a chance through the preseason performance and staying out of trouble. They didn't start him. They'd rather destroy Brissett's confidence while he's doing horrible. 

Yes, and Reich deserves the criticism. He screwed up with Vinny, and he screwed up with Brissett. Accept it, your heroes aren't perfect. You're a grown man, this isn't Christmas.

Yes I do know better. I saw it through the season and said it repeatedly last year after every game, as did most of the posters here. I was right without hindsight, and Reich's actions (or lackof) led this team that started 5-2 to a 7-9 record at the end of the year. 

I do not see him at the practices or the locker room, however, if he was really acting up or doing something wrong, it would of been leaked during the year, especially when he wasn't starting over Brissett after he got hurt. By all accounts, Kelly was a model citizen, and there was nothing in practice that kept him from starting besides Reich doing some garbage "old school" test on him to see if he could stay out of trouble for a year.

Just the obvious information that Brissett was hurt, he was struggling and teams had him figured out, and we were eliminated from the playoffs and Reich still wouldn't start Kelly. However, you still should start Kelly to see if you have anything in him, and to get Brissett out of there before destroying his confidence as he continues to struggle. Reich is also guilty of doing that. It isn't all about Kelly.

I believe at some point, the Colts gave up last season. They decided to keep Brissett in every game and selfdestruct. There's no way they thought they could beat the Saints with Brissett at QB, and it got more embarrassing to watch every game. They didn't replace Vinny until they were forced to due to injury, and they did the same with Brissett, only starting him because he was physically able to play and it was sad to see. Just the fact that they signed Rivers in FA and drafted Eason means Brissett is gone after this year and makes it even worse they didn't see what they had in Kelly. Reich is just like Pagano in that sense, loyal to the veteran favorites, and it damages the team.

I don't need a book to explain anything to you. You have it all figured out. (in your mind) 

I have no problem with JB still being on the roster as long as JB is fine with being a backup and doesn't cause locker room friction. He is off the books money wise after this season anyway. He is a great backup and may be needed for 2 or 3 games, who knows? We all know he isn't a franchise QB and we all know he was never going to perform like Andrew Luck did. Andrew Luck was a top 5-7 QB in the league in 2018. JB did play like a top 15 QB/top 20 at worse through 7 games but it caved in, it is what it is and proved that he is just a great backup in reality and can win a few games as a starter if need be. 

As far as most overrated Colt by fans I would say Chad Kelly. He has never played in an NFL Regular Season game and some in here think he should be our next franchise QB?? That makes no sense to me. I would like to see us keep 3 QB's on the active roster = Rivers, JB, and yes Kelly as the 3rd string, and keep Eason protected on the practice squad being that he is a rookie as a 4th option.

i dont think we have many truly over rated players because the media hardly talked about this team last year.  good players like Castanzo and Leonard dont get mentioned enough 

Chad doesn't get talked about that much outside of this forum

26 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

no one said that, ever.  some of us think he might have a shot at beating jacoby if they would give it to him.  

i think some people here did forget about that, any QB that plays like he did in the saints game should be benched imo.  i kind of hope the coaches were tanking the jags game because they along with JB had another really bad game.

I guess the way he played in the Tampa Bay, Houston and Atlanta games are forgotten.

Tampa Bay- 251 yds, 2 tds and 93.6 rating

Houston-326 yds, 4 tds and 126.7 rating

Atlanta-310 yds, 2 tds and 118.1 rating

You are so consumed with pointing a finger at the Saints game and disregard any games he played very good in. You also disregard accounting for him being injured. But that's OK, just keep harping. 

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think we have many truly over rated players because the media hardly talked about this team last year.  good players like Castanzo and Leonard dont get mentioned enough 

Chad doesn't get talked about that much outside of this forum

How you figure? Leonard was voted into the pro bowl and Castanzo was talked about quite a bit on ESPN and the NFL network. 

The reason Kelly don't get talked about is there is no reason for anyone to talk about him. 

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess the way he played in the Tampa Bay, Houston and Atlanta games are forgotten.

You are so consumed with pointing a finger at the Saints game and disregard any games he played very good in. You also disregard accounting for him being injured. But that's OK, just keep harping. 

if hes injured then they should sit him down. they swore he was ok but it looked something was off 

Darius was shafted in Madden ratings ftr

lol

29 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

if hes injured then they should sit him down. they swore he was ok but it looked something was off 

Darius was shafted in Madden ratings ftr

lol

Just what does Madden have to do with real NFL football? 

I highly doubt the GMs, head coaches or owners give a rats behind about Madden. 

Yes there was something off with Brissett. He was injured. Even him being injured the Colts went with him instead of Kelly. I am sorry, I trust them over the uninformed fans in this forum. They are the ones who see the players everyday. 

49 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

JB also had arguably a top 5 play of the year vs Denver, that escape from Miller and throw was awesome. My whole point is, he can win a few games if need be in a pinch.

Most overrated Colt?  Tyquan Lewis

In two years, he's played 17 out of 32 games.

Last year, he played 9 games, never started, with 0 sacks, 4 QB pressures, and all of 5 tackles.

Seriously.  It was hard to tell whether he was in the game or not, he made so little difference.

He was so valuable that we traded our 1st round pick for his natural position (DL3T), and he's at least 3rd on the depth chart at his other position (LDE).  IMO, a big pile of Meh.

8 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah...anybody could have seen his regression coming last year...and it coincided with teams adjusting to him. The result was a 2-5 record down the stretch...with JB throwing for 1 TD and <300 yards combined (with a passer rating of like 70) in those two wins against really bad JAC and CAR teams.

JB was arguably the worst QB in the NFL during that stretch...the offense was really bad. It's like people forgot about that stretch of football. 

I don't really get this narrative...that JB can win games...or that he is even the best option to step in and win games if Rivers got hurt. How does the player we saw in the 2nd half of last season give the Colts a better chance to win than even someone like Kelly? At least with Kelly there is the element of surprise because there is little tape on him...and he's got a lively arm and will throw deep.

I think Kelly has alot more upside than Brissett I mean its really not even close i also wouldn't be shocked if Eason is even better than him.

Archived