Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bob Sanders ((merged))

WoolMagnet

I think its AMAZING how no one seems to be missing this guy. I guess cuz he was never on the field.

Anyway, I saw an article on ESPN.COM(i think) which listed every team's key pick-ups and losses. It listed 6 or eight additions and losses for each team.

San Diego's section mentioned NOTHING about Sanders. His name wasn't listed.

I found this a little surprising when you consider the force he has been when on the field. (even if it was very little)

You won't hear me bash Sanders. I LOVED his style. ALL or nothing. You gotta respect that at some level.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its AMAZING how no one seems to be missing this guy. I guess cuz he was never on the field.

Anyway, I saw an article on ESPN.COM(i think) which listed every team's key pick-ups and losses. It listed 6 or eight additions and losses for each team.

I found this a little surprising when you consider the force he has been when on the field. (even if it was very little)

You won't hear me bash Sanders. I LOVED his style. ALL or nothing. You gotta respect that at some level.

Because we all know he wont have an impact beyond the 4 games he plays this year. Sad but it is true.

I know it's a business at the end of the day and these things happen, but I'm not happy at all with the fact that Bob didn't feel that he might've "owed" us something by taking less money to re-sign given that we basically awarded him the highest contract for a safety ever at that point without him contributing anything in those 4 years.

I know it's not fair to expect that but I don't like it either.

I know it's a business at the end of the day and these things happen, but I'm not happy at all with the fact that Bob didn't feel that he might've "owed" us something by taking less money to re-sign given that we basically awarded him the highest contract for a safety ever at that point without him contributing anything in those 4 years.

I know it's not fair to expect that but I don't like it either.

if you think about we put this on ourselves. the colts knew how bob plays when they gave him that contract and they knew what might happen if he continued to play with that same reckless endangerment. the colts should have made him play smart and take care of his body instead of letting him continue to play the way he did.

I think that ESPN article might have been covering only post-lockout moves. The Chargers agreed to terms with Bob Sanders before the lockout.

Most Charger fans are getting excited about the guy after hearing about him beasting it up in practice. I'm tempering my enthusiasm based on his injury history, but if healthy he would add an aggressive dimension to the team not seen since Merriman was wreaking havoc. But Merriman's story is something of a cautionary tale, seeing how some guys never return to form after catastrophic, season-ending injuries.

I think that ESPN article might have been covering only post-lockout moves. The Chargers agreed to terms with Bob Sanders before the lockout.

Most Charger fans are getting excited about the guy after hearing about him beasting it up in practice. I'm tempering my enthusiasm based on his injury history, but if healthy he would add an aggressive dimension to the team not seen since Merriman was wreaking havoc. But Merriman's story is something of a cautionary tale, seeing how some guys never return to form after catastrophic, season-ending injuries.

He's beasting it up in practice? I'm surprised he's practicing at all. You guys might want to take a page out of our book and only make him practice once every couple weeks. You don't want to waste him. If you overwork him you won't even get the one defensive posession we got out of him last year.

One thing that really bugs me is when people say that he just plays the game harder than the other guys. To me that is an insult to everybody else on the field. He may play a different style of game than others, but all that means is he goes for the big hit rather than making the sure tackle. Since he hasn't played in the last few years, he's gonna have to change that style a little bit unless he wants to get fined for every tackle he makes. You can't make a tackle with your helmet anymore.

http://www.nctimes.com/sports/football/professional/nfl/chargers/article_8631756b-c296-5f1b-af80-53f472dc3595.html

SAN DIEGO ---- Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates and Vincent Jackson were sitting in the locker room on Thursday, analyzing the first practice in which veteran free agents could participate.

The first topic was a reverse to Jackson, which has produced huge gains in seasons past. On this particular day, the play ended almost immediately.

"It was crazy," Jackson told his locker room neighbors. "I got the ball and before I even got to the corner, I was blinded by this dreadlock explosion."

to me , he's a low risk high reward signing, and obviously someone we aren't counting on , but someone we hope we can get something out of

thus the 1 year deal, which i'm sure is probably for no more than 3 mill....... (aka very cheap deal)

I miss Bob, the scariest safety since John Lynch. He hit you like a Mack truck. Too bad he couldn't take healthy, he played with the most passion I have ever seen on the field.

I would hope him the best, but in San Diego? One of our playoff rivals? No sir, if he isn't injured before we meet, he will be afterwards. I bet he plays no more that 5 games this year.

I miss Bob, the scariest safety since John Lynch. He hit you like a Mack truck. Too bad he couldn't take healthy, he played with the most passion I have ever seen on the field.

I would hope him the best, but in San Diego? One of our playoff rivals? No sir, if he isn't injured before we meet, he will be afterwards. I bet he plays no more that 5 games this year.

we don't even play indy this year lol

Sanders was a monster. He was one of the best safeties in NFL history; even through the injuries. He was an impact player. He hit hard, but furthermore, got to the ball carrier. Colts should of tried to re-structure his contract to keep him so his career ended as a Colt which is how it should of been... Sanders earned his respect with the games he played for us.

i saw you guys letting go of sanders as very similar to us letting go of merriman

you just can't justify paying alot of cash to a guy who isn't staying healthy enough to play for you.

i wouldn't be surprised if merriman has a comeback year in buffalo, but he wanted a new contract in san diego, and by all accounts he never recovered from tennessee breaking him in half.

Agree, P-Money.

I'll always wish him well, but the proverbial cards seem to be stacked against him when it comes to his health. For San Diego, it was a worthwhile signing (someone whose been THERE before) since even if he's not on the field, he can hopefully help that team that has a severe mental block once the elimination tournament begins.

Watch him stay healthy all season and it come back to bite us in the a** in the playoffs. That's a big IF...him staying healthy, and the Chargers not imploding again and missing the playoffs, especially losing Rivera.

Watch him stay healthy all season and it come back to bite us in the a** in the playoffs. That's a big IF...him staying healthy, and the Chargers not imploding again and missing the playoffs, especially losing Rivera.

I think Manusky(sp?) will do fine replacing Rivera on the defense and as long as the new special teams coach is anything more than what they had last season, I think they'll have a great season. Who knows, the season is half the battle though ... they've choked in the spotlight before countless times with Nate "Wide Right" Kaeding.

http://www.nctimes.com/sports/football/professional/nfl/chargers/article_8631756b-c296-5f1b-af80-53f472dc3595.html

to me , he's a low risk high reward signing, and obviously someone we aren't counting on , but someone we hope we can get something out of

thus the 1 year deal, which i'm sure is probably for no more than 3 mill....... (aka very cheap deal)

I like that the Dreadlock Explosion is now a Bolt!

OK sounds good to me, I will enjoy that and no way do the Bolts miss the playoffs again this year.

I think Manusky(sp?) will do fine replacing Rivera on the defense and as long as the new special teams coach is anything more than what they had last season, I think they'll have a great season. Who knows, the season is half the battle though ... they've choked in the spotlight before countless times with Nate "Wide Right" Kaeding.

Kaeding reminds me so much of Vanderjack its not even funny.

an interesting scenario was brought up a couple posts earlier

if sd faces indy in the playoffs, if sanders is still healthy, benefit to peyton or bob? who bested who in practice in indy? hmmmm

that would be quite a storyline

I believe it would be advantage San Diego, because it would mean that Bob stayed healthy enough to play in the playoffs, not to mention the fact that the Chargers defense has always given Peyton and Co. tons of problems, so adding a high energy guy like Bob will only increase the problems he has.

It's tuff for me to watch him (SD vs. Seattle preeason game)

I miss him already.

I know he didn't play much, but when he did..... man, what excitement. Some of those hits. Like the hit on Benson in the '06 Super Bowl. It looked like Benson quit after that hit. He didn't want any more. That was a big factor in the early part of that game. In the rain and sloppy conditions, Benson could have been a bigger factor than the smaller remaining back. I'm hoping maybe Sims can replace that intensity. Session kinda did.

The guy truly was (still is?) a gamechanger. One of those guys that could change the tone or momentum of a drive or game with a single hit.

Very interesting combo with Weddle if he stays healthy.

He looks pumped and excited to be playing. Probably has a chip on his shoulder for getting released by Indy.

It's tuff for me to watch him (SD vs. Seattle preeason game)

I miss him already.

I know he didn't play much, but when he did..... man, what excitement. Some of those hits. Like the hit on Benson in the '06 Super Bowl. It looked like Benson quit after that hit. He didn't want any more. That was a big factor in the early part of that game. In the rain and sloppy conditions, Benson could have been a bigger factor than the smaller remaining back. I'm hoping maybe Sims can replace that intensity. Session kinda did.

The guy truly was (still is?) a gamechanger. One of those guys that could change the tone or momentum of a drive or game with a single hit.

Very interesting combo with Weddle if he stays healthy.

He looks pumped and excited to be playing. Probably has a chip on his shoulder for getting released by Indy.

See the same interview I did on ESPN? He actually seemed honestly upset at the fact he couldn't deliver to fans in Indy. It actually felt a little bit like redemption for myself knowing he still cares about the fans. Tough to watch as you said, miss him a lot.

See the same interview I did on ESPN? He actually seemed honestly upset at the fact he couldn't deliver to fans in Indy. It actually felt a little bit like redemption for myself knowing he still cares about the fans. Tough to watch as you said, miss him a lot.

Darn, i missed the thing on ESPN.

But, imo, he delivered for us in '06. I'm not sure if we win that SB if he wasn't there.

I'm not crazy about SD (I'm not fond of Rivers cocky, demeaning attitude), but I hope Bob stays healthy and does well. (as much as that hurts on some levels and could even affect us down the road)

I hope nothing for or against him. We gave him one of the highest S contracts in the NFL and for what? 06 he was a beast and he has so muchtalent, but he didn't help us at all

Next time we see him, I hope we pass all over his midget self

(rant over)

I hope nothing for or against him. We gave him one of the highest S contracts in the NFL and for what? 06 he was a beast and he has so muchtalent, but he didn't help us at all

Next time we see him, I hope we pass all over his midget self

(rant over)

His return during our championship year was one of the main reasons why are defense turned around and we won the Super Bowl. We didn't get to the Super Bowl on the back of Manning.

See Bob in Charger blue was so horrible.

If he stays healthy in San Diego I am going to start wondering about our medical staff here. lol

His return during our championship year was one of the main reasons why are defense turned around and we won the Super Bowl. We didn't get to the Super Bowl on the back of Manning.

See Bob in Charger blue was so horrible.

If he stays healthy in San Diego I am going to start wondering about our medical staff here. lol

i meant to say he didn't help us in the long run afterwards, which is pretty mnuch 100% true

He left on pretty good terms, and his tone seemed genuine. The Colts were reluctant to part with him, but we had to make moves in preparation for Manning's last run, and Bob was holding that up a little. It was an uncertain roster spot every year, as well as an IR/PUP nightmare, and he was expensive.

Bob seemed saddened that he couldn't give us what we saw in 2006 during our run, and again in 2007 when he was DPOTY.

I'm going to laugh when Sanders plays most of the games this year and wins Comeback Player of the Year.

Way to plagiarize ideas you heard from broadcasters. John Gruden commented that he thinks Sanders may get the Comeback Player award this year, last night during the games broadcast.

First things first....he has to comeback before we start saying such things. Given Sanders sudden explosion of irrelevance, if he comes back into true form he would indeed be a candidate. It just bothers me when people parrot what they hear broadcasters say and pretend it was a device of their own thinking.