Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN predicts Eason doesn't make the roster

CR91

It all depends on Jacoby more than anything else. If they want to pay him, it can be Kelly or Eason cut. If they cut him for cap reasons, there’s a chance they keep Eason on the roster along with Kelly to see how he develops with his ceiling.

Having no preseason games is a killer for rookie QB's. The high QB draft picks will make the rosters but a 4th rd QB pick is on thin ice.  He not only has Brissett in front of him but Kelly as well.  And I expect Kelly to continue to show well in camp and outplay him.  Under these unusual circumstances experience could be a deciding factor in who makes the team.  I think I would try to find a way to keep all four on the roster initially and see how it goes.  It might be easier to get him on the PS later after rosters are pretty well set.  That said there will be some pretty interesting decisions coming up for all of the teams.  Cut down day won't lack for surprises that's for sure. 

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With this being an odd year with COVID-19 backup QBs are even more important. I would hope Ballard keeps Rivers, Brissett, and Eason on the active roster. 

I am hoping for Rivers, Kelly and Eason.....no Brissett.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/26/indianapolis-colts-news-roster-projection-jacob-eason-cut-espn/amp/

I mean it wouldn't be completely surprising. 4th round picks get cut all the time and teams don't normally carry three QBs, however I do think it's highly unlikely.

For what it’s worth....

It’s not ESPN making this call,  it’s Mike Wells.  There will likely be other ESPN analysts who may disagree with this view. 

I don't know enough about Eason to love him or hate him, but dear God, I hope we cut the cord on Kelly, just for the health of the message board. The dude couldn't get a sniff over a hobbled Brissett and a horrible Brian Hoyer last year.  I just fear that 10 years from now as he enters his 14th season, there will still be people on this board saying "Guys, I think this is the year that Chad breaks through and wins that backup role"

Until I see Eason play in a regular season game or even Chad for that matter it is impossible to make a judgement on either. How could anyone. We have seen JB in regular season games and he is at least a solid backup but not a franchise QB. He can win some games as a starter though in emergency situations. We have no clue if Eason or Chad can as there is nothing to go on.

33 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, I agree with you on Brissett he is 11-25 as a starter so now it's time to see what these other guys can do. 

I am not trying to defend JB but counting 2017 is just ridiculous. Not putting your post down but we sucked that year period, no O.Line or running game. He was 7-7 last year.

IMO it's highly unlikely Eason will be cut before he has a chance to be coached by Reich and Brady at least a whole season. I just don't see them cutting him without knowing if he can play in the NFL.

He is on a rookie contract and so far is the only QB on the roster who is under contract beyond this season. 

That's an *ic prediction.  You wouldn't draft a QB in the 4th round that Reich wants to develop, have no preseason, then cut him.  Especially when they know they can cut Kelly and he won't be signed elsewhere.   My prediction is Brissett is moved to another team, Eason is the backup, and Kelly is put on practice squad.   I like Kelly but I think it shows something that last year they wouldn't even let him play when Brissett was terrible. All this talk about how much they love Brissett is a smoke screen. They loved him so much the talked about getting two other QBs before getting Rivers.  And look at NE last year.  They cut Hoyer to have Stidham as the backup as a rookie.  Rivers is a durable guy.  I think Eason can be the backup because there is little chance he would need to play.  If they cut Eason, it would be terrible mistake. 

1 minute ago, lennymoore24 said:

That's an *ic prediction.  You wouldn't draft a QB in the 4th round that Reich wants to develop, have no preseason, then cut him.  Especially when they know they can cut Kelly and he won't be signed elsewhere.   My prediction is Brissett is moved to another team, Eason is the backup, and Kelly is put on practice squad.   I like Kelly but I think it shows something that last year they wouldn't even let him play when Brissett was terrible. All this talk about how much they love Brissett is a smoke screen. They loved him so much the talked about getting two other QBs before getting Rivers.  And look at NE last year.  They cut Hoyer to have Stidham as the backup as a rookie.  Rivers is a durable guy.  I think Eason can be the backup because there is little chance he would need to play.  If they cut Eason, it would be terrible mistake. 

There's no point in trading Brissett now. His salary is basically guaranteed at this point.

40 minutes ago, CR91 said:

There's no point in trading Brissett now. His salary is basically guaranteed at this point.

Well, when I say move him, I mean trade or cut him. Sure, they owe him most of the money.  But doesn't mean they are forced to keep him on the team.  Reich has hinted he likes it when a player takes a chance even if it means an interception here and there.  Brissett is not that kind of player.  Eason is.  I predict it is Rivers/Eason. And I think Brissett gets traded or cut.

25 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Every time Mike Wells gets folks to react to his click bait articles........he laughs in front of a mirror with his shirt off. 

Too True

This guy in 10 yrs. or so covering the Colts has never proved to me to be a football sage... never has been, never will.

I read his stuff as entertainment.

Not for football enlightenment.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not trying to defend JB but counting 2017 is just ridiculous. Not putting your post down but we sucked that year period, no O.Line or running game. He was 7-7 last year.

I don't care about w's and l's from then, but what he put on tape is relevant. It's consistent with what you saw last year. 

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I don't care about w's and l's from then, but what he put on tape is relevant. It's consistent with what you saw last year. 

I think that's my issue too. It's looking at where he struggled and realizing that he's struggled in those areas since college, which tells me what we saw last year is what we'd get in the future as well. He's a guy that can keep things afloat in a pinch, but he lacks the "killer instinct" to make aggressive throws that you need a QB to make.

I thought that it was agreed that all teams get to keep 80 players this year. If this is so, then we will only cut 10 players and they will all be eligible for the practice squad. 

If this is NOT true, no way in hell do we get rid of Eason. (Unless he kills somebody or robs a bank or something!) :funny:

13 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Well, when I say move him, I mean trade or cut him. Sure, they owe him most of the money.  But doesn't mean they are forced to keep him on the team.  Reich has hinted he likes it when a player takes a chance even if it means an interception here and there.  Brissett is not that kind of player.  Eason is.  I predict it is Rivers/Eason. And I think Brissett gets traded or cut.

In a year with no pre-season and not a single off season practice to know what you have in Eason, I would say it is incredibly unlikely they roll without Brissett.  

On 7/26/2020 at 7:20 PM, chad72 said:

It all depends on Jacoby more than anything else. If they want to pay him, it can be Kelly or Eason cut. If they cut him for cap reasons, there’s a chance they keep Eason on the roster along with Kelly to see how he develops with his ceiling.

not sure cutting JB at this point saves us anything in the cap. 

On 7/26/2020 at 6:34 PM, Archer said:

So do I.  I think Kelly vastly outplays him in camp and we try to stash Eason on the PS.  Decent chance he gets picked up by another team with 55-man rosters, but I don’t expect him to show much..,

Not saying you're wrong, but how is anyone really going to know?  How much access are reporters going to get to see them in any meaningful practice?  There are obviously no pre-season games to watch to get a feel of a players talent level.  So, the only thing we will really get to hear is the coaches interviews, and we know they all use coach-speak.  They may (and I do mean *may*) talk a player down (constructive criticism) to lower their perceived value and hope a team will not want to take a chance on plucking them from our PS.

Ballard and Reich already know what the team has in JB.  He's a serviceable backup - nothing more.  If, Heaven forbid, the team has to  go to a backup QB - who is excited to to see him back in as the starter?  My fan response is 'no one' - except CC1 and JB's family members.

I believe the opposite is true should CK or JE get the nod.  

19 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Important to note that he predicts that we cut Eason and Kelly and roll with Rivers and Brissett.

CK, if he was all this and that, teams would have lined up to snatch him off our PS last year, IMO. Other teams are just as apprehensive about CK being a #2 QB as much as we are, if history is an indication. We can dissect and analyze it as much as we want but when push comes to shove, CK will be proving himself again on the PS eventually or get a new start somewhere. He seems to be the odd man out just like last year. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

CK, if he was all this and that, teams would have lined up to snatch him off our PS last year, IMO. Other teams are just as apprehensive about CK being a #2 QB as much as we are, if history is an indication. We can dissect and analyze it as much as we want but when push comes to shove, CK will be proving himself again on the PS eventually or get a new start somewhere. He seems to be the odd man out just like last year. 

I don't have a dog in this fight...but teams really don't sign QBs off other teams' PSs. I don't know the exact reasons for this (maybe it's some unspoken rule)...but I think one reason is that teams would have to carry that QB on their active roster (and pay him for at least three weeks)...and it's very likely the QB doesn't know the team's system if he has been developing on another team's PS...which is not preferrible.

The only QB to be signed off another team's PS last year...was Kyle Sloter...and that was likely because DET just ran out of QBs after both Stafford and Driskel got hurt. I suppose they could have signed Kelly...but maybe they preferred Sloter.

Teams do sign QBs to their own PS after they are waived. But in the case of Kelly...it was up to him who he signed with after he cleared waivers...and I imagine he had a handshake deal with Ballard that he would sign back to the Colts PS...hence the really large contract (for a PS player) Ballard gave him.

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

him and kelly could both go to the practice squad, you can protect them there now

The protection starts after the season starts, if I am not mistaken. So, during the first stab of 53 man rosters, the main roster and 16 practice squad players, the PS players will have to clear waivers to make up the first practice squad. Once the season starts, 4 of them can be immediately protected. At least that is my understanding.

This article has the same question that I have, where I chose the key lines below:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/24/kansas-city-chiefs-16-man-practice-squad-expansion-protected-players-accrued-seasons/

One detail that isn’t yet clear is whether or not any of these 16 practice squad players will be protected from waivers when 53-man roster cuts happen and throughout the season. Surely that is something that will be cleared up in due time.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

The protection starts after the season starts, if I am not mistaken. So, during the first stab of 53 man rosters, the main roster and 16 practice squad players, the PS players will have to clear waivers to make up the first practice squad. Once the season starts, 4 of them can be immediately protected. At least that is my understanding.

This article has the same question that I have, where I chose the key lines below:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/24/kansas-city-chiefs-16-man-practice-squad-expansion-protected-players-accrued-seasons/

One detail that isn’t yet clear is whether or not any of these 16 practice squad players will be protected from waivers when 53-man roster cuts happen and throughout the season. Surely that is something that will be cleared up in due time.

good to know.  fwiw i think eason would have a high chance of clearing those waivers, a team would have to sign him to their active roster and not just the practice squad.  

i like jacob, good measurable traits but he was nothing special in college. i doubt teams are tripping over themselves to put him on their opening day roster 

Rivers and Brissett are locks barring injury or COVID. Colts have a better chance of stashing Kelly on practice squad and getting away with it than they do with Eason.  Eason would likely be claimed by another team on the cheap.  That kind of arm and raw talent will draw some attention.   No one else really wants Kelly right now as he was hard pressed to get a shot with the Colts.  So go with Rivers, Brissett, and Eason.  Waive Kelly and roll the dice on signing him to the practice squad.  Best chance at retaining all four for this season.  

On 7/27/2020 at 7:16 AM, lennymoore24 said:

The bolded makes tons of sense - we've already seen that teams don't value Chad Kelly enough to claim him off waiver wire, while the same is not true about Eason. 

Archived