Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL and Players still negotiating over 3 Key Issues...

NewColtsFan

This is an ESPN.com story,  it's a NON-premium story so it's available to EVERYONE.

Even at this late hour,  there are three key issues still being negotiated.   And within each category,  there are smaller, but still important issues that are also being haggled over.    Why this is happening at such a late date is beyond me,  but this is the world we leave in.   

If you like the details in a story like this,  then this article is for you!  

Hope this helps clarifies things for all of us!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29526181/season-impact-future-salary-caps-central-nfl-talks-sources-say

About that high risk group definition with a BMI of over 28, I am not sure it will medically work. From what I know, BMI does not thoroughly take into account muscle mass, bone density, and overall body composition. A bigger OL or DL might easily end up over 28 without truly being a high risk. 

Plus, if standard liability insurance policies, short term and long term cover just 60% of income, that could be used as a scale close to what someone should get, should they opt out due to being in the high risk category, IMO. If someone contracts Covid-19, it can be treated just like a prolonged injury situation.

On 7/23/2020 at 9:27 PM, NewColtsFan said:

This is an ESPN.com story,  it's a NON-premium story so it's available to EVERYONE.

Even at this late hour,  there are three key issues still being negotiated.   And within each category,  there are smaller, but still important issues that are also being haggled over.    Why this is happening at such a late date is beyond me,  but this is the world we leave in.   

If you like the details in a story like this,  then this article is for you!  

Hope this helps clarifies things for all of us!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29526181/season-impact-future-salary-caps-central-nfl-talks-sources-say

CBA was agreed and amended to by both sides Friday 7/24/2020

"If a player wishes to opt out, he must provide his club with written notification within seven days of the date that the NFL and NFLPA finalize the agreement that includes the terms of such opt-outs.

To be designated a voluntary opt-out, a player must be under contract or subject to a tender. The player's contract will toll and all provisions of that contract for the tolled year will be applicable the following season; however, he will not receive an accrued season."

"The player will be eligible for a stipend of $150,000 to be treated as a salary advance against his tolled contract; an undrafted free agent, however, is not eligible for the stipend."

On 7/24/2020 at 9:57 AM, chad72 said:

About that high risk group definition with a BMI of over 28, I am not sure it will medically work. From what I know, BMI does not thoroughly take into account muscle mass, bone density, and overall body composition. A bigger OL or DL might easily end up over 28 without truly being a high risk. 

While Obesity / BMI (over 30) is considered to be a comorbidity (high risk of more severe illness) by the CDC, it wasn't reflected in this report I saw.  I wonder if that will stand or later be addressed.

"To be designated a higher-risk opt-out, a player must have a diagnosis reflected in their medical records of at least one of the following factors, which are based upon a modified list of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) risk factors list: cancer; chronic kidney disease; COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease); immunocompromised state from solid organ transplant; serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies; sickle cell disease; type 2 diabetes mellitus; asthma; cerebrovascular disease; cystic fibrosis; hypertension or high blood pressure; immunocompromised state from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines; neurologic conditions, such as dementia; liver disease; or pulmonary fibrosis."

On 7/24/2020 at 9:57 AM, chad72 said:

Plus, if standard liability insurance policies, short term and long term cover just 60% of income, that could be used as a scale close to what someone should get, should they opt out due to being in the high risk category, IMO. If someone contracts Covid-19, it can be treated just like a prolonged injury situation.

Nobody is mandated to opt out, even high risk players as above.  If they do, they receive a Stipend as above, for normal players, or below for high risk players.

"A higher-risk opt-out player will receive an accrued season toward free agency and all benefits and minimum salary credit for a credited season and is also eligible for a stipend of $350,000, which will not constitute a salary advance."

Archived