Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The most pressure to succeed in 2020


Recommended Posts

I can actually think of quite of few players that really need a good year not only for the colts, but for contract years.

 

Phillip Rivers

 

Rivers imo is walking into the most ideal situation because I don't see the colts asking him to win the game. I think the colts will ask him to make 10 or so big plays and then let our run game feast. How is that pressure? Well those 10 or so big plays are the plays Brissett couldn't make so if Rivers can't either, he's gonna be coaching much sooner then he expected.

 

Marlon Mack

 

Mack imo is a rising star in this league and I believe last year was evidence of that when he was our offense for the majority of the season. Mack I can actually see benefiting from sharing carries with Taylor both health and durability wise, but I can also see that hurting his value. Mack is going into a contract year and not being the bell cow he was last year imo will bring his value from 8-10 mil to 6-7. How well Mack can do this year will not only impact the colts, but also what his value will be on the market.

 

Malik Hooker

 

Hooker imo can be a ball hawking safety, however I just don't think the colts see him like that in the defense their playing. 2018 which imo was Hooker's best year, we were playing a lot of single high safety with Hooker allowed to roam, but 2019 it was a cover 2 shell with no chance to roam because Hooker couldn't leave his zone. Depending on how the colts use Hooker this year will ultimately determine his future. 

 

Kemoko Turay

 

Turay imo has the most pressure to succeed this year. Turay has shown that he can be a dominant pass rusher, however his grade is incomplete. The colts imo made it clear that Turay is the man when they decided not to re-sign Sheard. I know he puts in the work with Mathis, but now is the time to actually determine what kind of player he wants to be because if he puts together back to back double digit sack seasons, Turay is gonna get a nice payday and the colts will finally have their pass rusher.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyquan Lewis is the first one that came to mind. So much so, that I think he might even get cut before the start of the season. 

 

Hooker too... (not cut, just needs a strong season)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy answer for me is Philip Rivers. It starts with the QB and after JB's collapse last season, people here are expecting a huge upgrade with Rivers. We are known for having good-great QB play even since the Harbaugh days and of course Peyton then Luck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Tyquan Lewis is the first one that came to mind. So much so, that I think he might even get cut before the start of the season. 

 

Hooker too... 

 

Lewis imo is gone. I just can't see him on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded before the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think all the lineman on both sides of the ball.  The focus has been made to win at the line of scrimmage.  Our identity is to control time of possession and stop the run. If that happens everyone else will be in better position to play to their strengths.  After that it’s on the 2nd and 3rd year guys to step up and become starter material.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll go with Hooker and Glowinski.

Hooker needs to perform well.   I think if Buckner helps the D-line get some QB pressure, it will lead to Hooker having a good year.

 

Glowinski is under contract through the 2021 season.   Many have pointed to him as the weakest link on the O-line.  It'll be tough for him to shed that title.  

 

Honorable mention to Hilton.   He's set to be a free agent after this season.   He needs to prove  himself in his play and his health.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

#1- Rivers. No need to go into details as we all know.

#2-Eason. He has to show he is capable of accepting and absorbs what is taught to him by the coaches. 

#3-Buckner. He has to prove he is worth that #1 pick that was traded for him plus the big contract. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

#1- Rivers. No need to go into details as we all know.

#2-Eason. He has to show he is capable of accepting and absorbs what is taught to him by the coaches. 

#3-Buckner. He has to prove he is worth that #1 pick that was traded for him plus the big contract. 

Rivers - I think his floor is high.   It's not like he's gonna turn into Brissett.   Pressure, yes, but not huge.

Eason - As the number 3 QB, I don't think there is a heck of allot of pressure.  He's got a year.

Buckner - Good choice.   If he doesn't perform well and the D-line fails again, he'll be looked at by many as a failure.  He got his new contract though, so that pressure is off.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivers, hands down. He’s brought in to win for the organization, and individually he needs to finish his career strong... which is why I believe he came here, knowing this is likey his best chance. 
 

Mack and Hooker are on their way to free agency and have plenty of years left, and will cash in regardless what they do this season. They may even have average or slightly above years and a team in Free Agency will think they may fit/perform better in their organization. They are good dudes, so they don’t have pressure, IMO. The only pressure comes from what kind of money they are wanting to get next offseason.

 

Turay has no pressure this season, imo. He’s coming off a major injury. He needs to get back on track and stay healthy. that is all. He’s under contract in 2021, and that’s where he’ll need to show he belongs longterm here.

 

i agree with some above that say Buckner. The more money, the more expectations... plenty of both of those on him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Rivers, hands down. He’s brought in to win for the organization, and individually he needs to finish his career strong... which is why I believe he came here, knowing this is likey his best chance. 
 

Mack and Hooker are on their way to free agency and have plenty of years left, and will cash in regardless what they do this season. They may even have average or slightly above years and a team in Free Agency will think they may fit/perform better in their organization. They are good dudes, so they don’t have pressure, IMO. The only pressure comes from what kind of money they are wanting to get next offseason.

 

Turay has no pressure this season, imo. He’s coming off a major injury. He needs to get back on track and stay healthy. that is all. He’s under contract in 2021, and that’s where he’ll need to show he belongs longterm here.

 

i agree with some above that say Buckner. The more money, the more expectations... plenty of both of those on him.

 

I don't agree about Turay. He's basically just being penciled in as the starting DE. Yes we will rotate, but Turay needs to finally show he can be our pass rusher of the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

i agree with some above that say Buckner. The more money, the more expectations... plenty of both of those on him.

Buckner for sure.

Most of us expect his presence should make our D-Backs look better. If he gets QB pressure (and bats a few passes down) I have no doubt it will make every defensive players job easier. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Take:  A whole lot of players better step up this year or the front office/coaches are going to be under a whole lot of pressure next offseason.

On paper the roster looks solid, time to see results!

 

:coltslogo::1colts::coltslogo:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s a tie between Hooker and Lewis (darn, both Buckeyes) vs hand sanitizers and face masks. 
 

Probably more pressure to succeed on the latter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd think Rhodes deserves inclusion here, no? I could see how he isn't though... there's not a lot of pressure TEAM-wise, as we didn't invest a whole lot in him, but career-wise, he probably feels a lot of pressure to turn it around.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Buckner, Rivers, Glowinski and Lewis. The first for contract reasons, the next 3 for "whether they will be good enough to make the roster and/or last past 2020 season" reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After thinking about it I think Hooker will be my pick as the #1. 

His option was not picked up and he definitely will have to prove himself to get another contract.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting perspectives on Rivers. I think the pressure and expectations are actually relatively low:

 

  1. 1.  Chargers weren’t very good in 2019. If he does better than he did with a bottom 5 Oline AND a bottom 5 running game, people will be pleased. It’s not a tall order. 
     
  2. 2.  He was already mentally prepared for the possibility that no one would want him and he’d have to retire. He’s playing with house money right now.  Back in February, he said he wanted to play for two more years max. He’s financially set whether it’s one year or two. 
     
  3. 3. He doesn’t feel a need to prove anything to anyone. 
     
  4. 4. Colts won’t need him to carry them. A great running game and Oline takes a lot of pressure off. 
     
  5. 5. There won’t be fans in the stadium. Even less pressure. 
     
  6. 6.  He is doing this out of love for the game and teammates. Not stats or accolades. He doesn’t care about that stuff. That mindset takes away a lot of pressure. 
     
  7. 7. He already has his next job lined up. He knows that life after football will be good no matter what. 
     
  8. From my perspective, this looks like a very enjoyable, low-pressure and great situation for Rivers. Nevertheless, he is a fierce competitor and wants to win as much as anyone. Being on a great team while playing with passion and low pressure could be the recipe for a career best year. 
     
  9. Go Colts! 
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's kind of how you interpret the question...If you're talking about who's under the most pressure to maximize team success, it's easily Rivers and Buckner.  Each was brought in to stabilize their own side of the ball, and the only ones with enough talent to make a significant difference in such a way...

 

If the question is who's under the most pressure from an individual standpoint, I think Rivers and Buckner are fine...Buckner has his contract, and Rivers can't do anything for his legacy but win a Super Bowl and I just don't think we're quite at that level...I think we're a good bet for the playoffs, and that always means a lottery ticket to get hot, but I just don't see it in the next year or 2

 

So under the second criteria, the names that jump out to me are Rhodes and Hooker...If Rhodes lays an egg, his career might be over, whereas if he proves himself good again, it wouldn't shock me to see him get like 3 yrs/20m from somebody...I don't think Hooker's career is gonna end, but the difference between a good season and a bad one is probably at least 5 million per year on a new contract

 

The weird answer is also TY...With a probably decreased cap next year and progressing age, if he has another injury riddled season, he could find next offseason tough sledding

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jlid said:

It's kind of how you interpret the question...If you're talking about who's under the most pressure to maximize team success, it's easily Rivers and Buckner.  Each was brought in to stabilize their own side of the ball, and the only ones with enough talent to make a significant difference in such a way...

 

If the question is who's under the most pressure from an individual standpoint, I think Rivers and Buckner are fine...Buckner has his contract, and Rivers can't do anything for his legacy but win a Super Bowl and I just don't think we're quite at that level...I think we're a good bet for the playoffs, and that always means a lottery ticket to get hot, but I just don't see it in the next year or 2

 

So under the second criteria, the names that jump out to me are Rhodes and Hooker...If Rhodes lays an egg, his career might be over, whereas if he proves himself good again, it wouldn't shock me to see him get like 3 yrs/20m from somebody...I don't think Hooker's career is gonna end, but the difference between a good season and a bad one is probably at least 5 million per year on a new contract

 

The weird answer is also TY...With a probably decreased cap next year and progressing age, if he has another injury riddled season, he could find next offseason tough sledding

Excellent Post!

Good perspective!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • We will sweep the Texans and split with Texans so 10-6 is the probability. Titans are overrated, they won't beat us here.
    • If I was an owner I wouldn't hang division banners. People mock us for hanging a Final 4 banner in 2014 but yet think hanging a division banner (hypothetically for going 8-8) is ok? Think about how silly that sounds. I would rather be in the AFC Title Game than win my division, that is common sense.
    • We will see how it plays out. Cam is washed IMO and injury prone. He has the greatest coach ever and he will be lucky to go 9-7.
    • I am not worried about Buffalo. Just contain their QB and you're good. Baltimore much harder but we have a shot there if our run D plays tough. KC and their receivers seems like the toughest. I think a great run D is key on all these games incl. TN.  We have to make all these teams one dimensional. The only one with too many skills players to stop is KC.  The only way to beat them is being able to score more points than we have all season. Let's hope our O-Line keeps offering up the extra time in the pocket. 
    • We know... we are all here because we love the game and we love the colts, can you please stop acting like the forum shrink - it's nauseating lol. We as fans are allowed to comment what we want on this forum, its not always going to be rainbows and daisies, deal with it. We all want to see the colts win and when we s*** the bed on a sunday afternoon we are allowed to have a vent and discuss where we need improving etc even if that does occasionally come with some over reaction sprinkled in. You probably thought this was a random comment to quote but its a build up of your posting as a whole and I chose to reply to this one lol.   Anywayyy, Phil did have a good game against the Bengals no doubt, but he has been very average or perhaps below average for the most part. I hope he can hang with some of the better teams we have coming up on our schedule but I do have my doubts that we will see more of the bengals type play from him very often.         
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...