Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The most pressure to succeed in 2020

CR91

I can actually think of quite of few players that really need a good year not only for the colts, but for contract years.

Phillip Rivers

Rivers imo is walking into the most ideal situation because I don't see the colts asking him to win the game. I think the colts will ask him to make 10 or so big plays and then let our run game feast. How is that pressure? Well those 10 or so big plays are the plays Brissett couldn't make so if Rivers can't either, he's gonna be coaching much sooner then he expected.

Marlon Mack

Mack imo is a rising star in this league and I believe last year was evidence of that when he was our offense for the majority of the season. Mack I can actually see benefiting from sharing carries with Taylor both health and durability wise, but I can also see that hurting his value. Mack is going into a contract year and not being the bell cow he was last year imo will bring his value from 8-10 mil to 6-7. How well Mack can do this year will not only impact the colts, but also what his value will be on the market.

Malik Hooker

Hooker imo can be a ball hawking safety, however I just don't think the colts see him like that in the defense their playing. 2018 which imo was Hooker's best year, we were playing a lot of single high safety with Hooker allowed to roam, but 2019 it was a cover 2 shell with no chance to roam because Hooker couldn't leave his zone. Depending on how the colts use Hooker this year will ultimately determine his future. 

Kemoko Turay

Turay imo has the most pressure to succeed this year. Turay has shown that he can be a dominant pass rusher, however his grade is incomplete. The colts imo made it clear that Turay is the man when they decided not to re-sign Sheard. I know he puts in the work with Mathis, but now is the time to actually determine what kind of player he wants to be because if he puts together back to back double digit sack seasons, Turay is gonna get a nice payday and the colts will finally have their pass rusher.

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Tyquan Lewis is the first one that came to mind. So much so, that I think he might even get cut before the start of the season. 

Hooker too... 

Lewis imo is gone. I just can't see him on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded before the season.

I think all the lineman on both sides of the ball.  The focus has been made to win at the line of scrimmage.  Our identity is to control time of possession and stop the run. If that happens everyone else will be in better position to play to their strengths.  After that it’s on the 2nd and 3rd year guys to step up and become starter material.  

I'll go with Hooker and Glowinski.

Hooker needs to perform well.   I think if Buckner helps the D-line get some QB pressure, it will lead to Hooker having a good year.

Glowinski is under contract through the 2021 season.   Many have pointed to him as the weakest link on the O-line.  It'll be tough for him to shed that title.  

Honorable mention to Hilton.   He's set to be a free agent after this season.   He needs to prove  himself in his play and his health.  

#1- Rivers. No need to go into details as we all know.

#2-Eason. He has to show he is capable of accepting and absorbs what is taught to him by the coaches. 

#3-Buckner. He has to prove he is worth that #1 pick that was traded for him plus the big contract. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

#1- Rivers. No need to go into details as we all know.

#2-Eason. He has to show he is capable of accepting and absorbs what is taught to him by the coaches. 

#3-Buckner. He has to prove he is worth that #1 pick that was traded for him plus the big contract. 

Rivers - I think his floor is high.   It's not like he's gonna turn into Brissett.   Pressure, yes, but not huge.

Eason - As the number 3 QB, I don't think there is a heck of allot of pressure.  He's got a year.

Buckner - Good choice.   If he doesn't perform well and the D-line fails again, he'll be looked at by many as a failure.  He got his new contract though, so that pressure is off.  

I'll go with Glowinski.

Have heard great things about Pinter all offseason. Wont be surprised if he takes over the RG spot at some point during the season.

Seems to have a lot of Nelson in him.

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-colts-texans-titans-14/

Article talks about his work ethic and leadership, then finishing play down the field, like Nelson.

Rivers, hands down. He’s brought in to win for the organization, and individually he needs to finish his career strong... which is why I believe he came here, knowing this is likey his best chance. 

Mack and Hooker are on their way to free agency and have plenty of years left, and will cash in regardless what they do this season. They may even have average or slightly above years and a team in Free Agency will think they may fit/perform better in their organization. They are good dudes, so they don’t have pressure, IMO. The only pressure comes from what kind of money they are wanting to get next offseason.

Turay has no pressure this season, imo. He’s coming off a major injury. He needs to get back on track and stay healthy. that is all. He’s under contract in 2021, and that’s where he’ll need to show he belongs longterm here.

i agree with some above that say Buckner. The more money, the more expectations... plenty of both of those on him.

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Rivers, hands down. He’s brought in to win for the organization, and individually he needs to finish his career strong... which is why I believe he came here, knowing this is likey his best chance. 

Mack and Hooker are on their way to free agency and have plenty of years left, and will cash in regardless what they do this season. They may even have average or slightly above years and a team in Free Agency will think they may fit/perform better in their organization. They are good dudes, so they don’t have pressure, IMO. The only pressure comes from what kind of money they are wanting to get next offseason.

Turay has no pressure this season, imo. He’s coming off a major injury. He needs to get back on track and stay healthy. that is all. He’s under contract in 2021, and that’s where he’ll need to show he belongs longterm here.

i agree with some above that say Buckner. The more money, the more expectations... plenty of both of those on him.

I don't agree about Turay. He's basically just being penciled in as the starting DE. Yes we will rotate, but Turay needs to finally show he can be our pass rusher of the future.

21 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Buckner for sure.

Most of us expect his presence should make our D-Backs look better. If he gets QB pressure (and bats a few passes down) I have no doubt it will make every defensive players job easier. 

I'd think Rhodes deserves inclusion here, no? I could see how he isn't though... there's not a lot of pressure TEAM-wise, as we didn't invest a whole lot in him, but career-wise, he probably feels a lot of pressure to turn it around.

Interesting perspectives on Rivers. I think the pressure and expectations are actually relatively low:

1. 1.  Chargers weren’t very good in 2019. If he does better than he did with a bottom 5 Oline AND a bottom 5 running game, people will be pleased. It’s not a tall order. 

2. 2.  He was already mentally prepared for the possibility that no one would want him and he’d have to retire. He’s playing with house money right now.  Back in February, he said he wanted to play for two more years max. He’s financially set whether it’s one year or two. 

3. 3. He doesn’t feel a need to prove anything to anyone. 

4. 4. Colts won’t need him to carry them. A great running game and Oline takes a lot of pressure off. 

5. 5. There won’t be fans in the stadium. Even less pressure. 

6. 6.  He is doing this out of love for the game and teammates. Not stats or accolades. He doesn’t care about that stuff. That mindset takes away a lot of pressure. 

7. 7. He already has his next job lined up. He knows that life after football will be good no matter what. 

8. From my perspective, this looks like a very enjoyable, low-pressure and great situation for Rivers. Nevertheless, he is a fierce competitor and wants to win as much as anyone. Being on a great team while playing with passion and low pressure could be the recipe for a career best year. 

9. Go Colts! 

It's kind of how you interpret the question...If you're talking about who's under the most pressure to maximize team success, it's easily Rivers and Buckner.  Each was brought in to stabilize their own side of the ball, and the only ones with enough talent to make a significant difference in such a way...

If the question is who's under the most pressure from an individual standpoint, I think Rivers and Buckner are fine...Buckner has his contract, and Rivers can't do anything for his legacy but win a Super Bowl and I just don't think we're quite at that level...I think we're a good bet for the playoffs, and that always means a lottery ticket to get hot, but I just don't see it in the next year or 2

So under the second criteria, the names that jump out to me are Rhodes and Hooker...If Rhodes lays an egg, his career might be over, whereas if he proves himself good again, it wouldn't shock me to see him get like 3 yrs/20m from somebody...I don't think Hooker's career is gonna end, but the difference between a good season and a bad one is probably at least 5 million per year on a new contract

The weird answer is also TY...With a probably decreased cap next year and progressing age, if he has another injury riddled season, he could find next offseason tough sledding

21 hours ago, jlid said:

It's kind of how you interpret the question...If you're talking about who's under the most pressure to maximize team success, it's easily Rivers and Buckner.  Each was brought in to stabilize their own side of the ball, and the only ones with enough talent to make a significant difference in such a way...

If the question is who's under the most pressure from an individual standpoint, I think Rivers and Buckner are fine...Buckner has his contract, and Rivers can't do anything for his legacy but win a Super Bowl and I just don't think we're quite at that level...I think we're a good bet for the playoffs, and that always means a lottery ticket to get hot, but I just don't see it in the next year or 2

So under the second criteria, the names that jump out to me are Rhodes and Hooker...If Rhodes lays an egg, his career might be over, whereas if he proves himself good again, it wouldn't shock me to see him get like 3 yrs/20m from somebody...I don't think Hooker's career is gonna end, but the difference between a good season and a bad one is probably at least 5 million per year on a new contract

The weird answer is also TY...With a probably decreased cap next year and progressing age, if he has another injury riddled season, he could find next offseason tough sledding

Excellent Post!

Good perspective!

Archived