Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dak Prescott and the Colts

Colts have highest odds to sign Prescott in 2021

What are the chances?  If Rivers has a good year, then would Colts drop him for the younger Prescott?  It would make sense from an age standpoint but Ballard would be cutting into a lot of cap space.

Of course, with the cap flexibility, Colts are listed as a top option for pretty much every free agent.

29 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Colts have highest odds to sign Prescott in 2021

What are the chances?  If Rivers has a good year, then would Colts drop him for the younger Prescott?  It would make sense from an age standpoint but Ballard would be cutting into a lot of cap space.

Of course, with the cap flexibility, Colts are listed as a top option for pretty much every free agent.

Doubt it.

If Eason doesn't develop as much in 2 years as they want, since I think they bring Rivers back in for 1 more year if he does well, there may be Aaron Rodgers available because I don't think the marriage of the Packers and ARod would last past the 2021 season, IMO.

I think Ballard is going to go more all in on the now w.r.t the QB position more than any other position while drafting QBs for future development simultaneously. All other positions, he will draft to replace ones he thinks he might lose in free agency, like with Jonathan Taylor to potentially replace Mack if the asking price is too high.

Colin Cowherd just did a segment on his show and said the Colts are the most logical team for Dak next year.  He thinks Taylor is going to have a great rookie year and would be a similar weapon to Zeke.  He also mentions our OL is great and maybe better than the Dallas line.  Our defense is rising rapidly and becoming very formidable.  We have a great GM.  We have a former QB as coach that QB's like to play for.  He stated a  departing Rivers and Brissett would free up over 40M in cap space alone and allow the Colts to easily sign Dak.  I could also see Ballard giving him the 4yr contract he wants versus Jerry holding out for 5.  This is way way out in the future but the rational for the Colts as a top landing spot has merit.  We all know JE is a project and will have little opportunity to play at all this year.  He could develop behind Zak just as easily as behind Rivers.   I don't think you can rule anything out about next season at this juncture.  

49 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Maybe if Oliver loses his lawsuit against the xfl the luck family will need Andy to go back to work.  100 mil won’t last forever.  Hahaha

Man, if you can't figure out how to make sure your grandkids aren't worrying about cash with 100 million, you're doing it so wrong, it's hard to calculate. I'm pretty sure the Luck family won't be flushing cash down the toilet. 

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Man, if you can't figure out how to make sure your grandkids aren't worrying about cash with 100 million, you're doing it so wrong, it's hard to calculate. I'm pretty sure the Luck family won't be flushing cash down the toilet. 

I’m just grasping for any reason for AL to return.  He’ll probably start a global architecture firm and make plenty more than he already has.  

Just curious, has Dalton ever led his team to #1 in offense?  How about #2 in passing? Or #6 in scoring?

Polian believes Prescott is a superior player and now among the top 5 QB.

In addition, it can be argued Andy Dalton may possibly be the top Cincinnati Bengals passer of all time.  That includes Kenny Anderson, Boomer Esiason, and Carson Palmer.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/career-passing.htm

I feel neither gets the credit they might really deserve.

On 7/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, Chloe6124 said:

The cap could drop 60 million next year. Lots of players could be without jobs. I actually think there could be a good chance Eason is actually the starter in 2021. We may not be able to even bring rivers back. Tv revenues go down cap could go down even more. 

Ok...   the ship has sailed on this post. 

A deal has been struck.   The cap will not go below $175m and that’s the base floor.   It could be higher depending on revenue.   The projected Covid losses will be spread across four season 21-24.   That will help smooth out the losses.

Owners expect TV revenue to go up.   So that fear can disappear.   The one possible fear that remains is what happens if Covid hasn’t been resolved by this time next year?  But, for now, that’s out of everyone’s hands.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:16 AM, Fluke_33 said:

I’m just grasping for any reason for AL to return.  He’ll probably start a global architecture firm and make plenty more than he already has.  

And he'll STILL keep that flip phone and drive a '69 ash Rambler with Kentucky plates. haha

Right state just wrong QB the Colts will target.  Colts after Rivers is gone will go after Deshaun Watson in 2 years.  We got the cash and offensive line to better protect Watson.  Just need to bolster our WR class after Hilton is gone.

3 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Right state just wrong QB the Colts will target.  Colts after Rivers is gone will go after Deshaun Watson in 2 years.  We got the cash and offensive line to better protect Watson.  Just need to bolster our WR class after Hilton is gone.

Curious, when has a team willingly let a QB go to a division rival without exhausting all measures and stops?

Even GB wouldn't let Favre hang in the NFC, let alone go to the Vikings (though he eventually got there anyway). I do not see it coming to fruition.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Curious, when has a team willingly let a QB go to a division rival without exhausting all measures and stops?

Even GB wouldn't let Favre hang in the NFC, let alone go to the Vikings (though he eventually got there anyway). I do not see it coming to fruition.

Watson will be a UFA in 2022.  Over the Cap projects the Texans to have 97.7m Cap Room while the Colts are projected with 164m.  Given the Texans horrible offensive line compared to the Colts why would Watson wish to stay and continue to take the punishment and risk further injury to a gifted QB?  This year might be a blessing either way.  Limited NFL play allows Watson to remain upright and nurse any lingering wounds but shortens his remaining playing contract.

Agree it is rare for QBs to transfer within conferences.  We have seen players seeking revenge against their former teams.  Got to think Watson has to still be bitter about the Hopkins trade.  Given the medical issue with his mother he may wish to remain close to Georgia.  I personally think the Colts organization is much better than the current Texans staff.

Again we will have more capital and a much improved offensive line to dangle in front of Watson and the recent history lesson of knowing we have to do better protecting our QBs post-Luck.  Take the lesson learned and acquire some talented WRs next year so we can bait him make it enticing for Watson to want to come here.  Make Watson our "Missing Link". 

8 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Watson will be a UFA in 2022. 

Texans traded for and gave Tunsil a 3 year extension to his rookie contract. I see them doing something similar to Watson after this year.  Thus Watson would play 5th year option in 2021 at $17.5 million, then get 3 years added at 31+ mil per season, with much (if not all) guaranteed, taking him through 2024.  This circumvents using franchise tags that would keep the UFA on the roster, but maybe sow derision as well.

Over the Cap projects the Texans to have 97.7m Cap Room while the Colts are projected with 164m.  Given the Texans horrible offensive line compared to the Colts why would Watson wish to stay and continue to take the punishment and risk further injury to a gifted QB?  This year might be a blessing either way.  Limited NFL play allows Watson to remain upright and nurse any lingering wounds but shortens his remaining playing contract.

Texans were improving as a group, notably toward the end of last year, and then added Tunsil.  Max Scharping at left guard and Tytus Howard at right tackle are no longer rookies. That group won't chase Watson away.

Agree it is rare for QBs to transfer within conferences.  We have seen players seeking revenge against their former teams.  Got to think Watson has to still be bitter about the Hopkins trade.  Given the medical issue with his mother he may wish to remain close to Georgia.  I personally think the Colts organization is much better than the current Texans staff.

Again we will have more capital and a much improved offensive line to dangle in front of Watson and the recent history lesson of knowing we have to do better protecting our QBs post-Luck.  Take the lesson learned and acquire some talented WRs next year so we can bait him make it enticing for Watson to want to come here.  Make Watson our "Missing Link". 

Never say never, but this more a dream then reality. Coaches that give up on franchise QB's get kicked to the curb. Even BoB knows this.

Personally, I think Dak is going to end up going the Kirk Cousins route and will end up being franchised twice before signing with another team in 2022. With the Mahomes deal, the bar was raised even higher for QB's. And even though Dak is not going to get Mahomes money he is is probably going to get between 37-40 million a year. Will the Colts be willing to pay that? I don't know, but I do believe that Dak will play this season and next under the franchise tag before moving onto greener pastures.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of variables so it is hard to put a % on it.  I'd give it an 8% chance.  If he does well and Rivers retires, that may go up.   If Rivers plays well and doesn't retire that goes way done.  

I think 40% the Cowboys franchise tag him.

I think 35% chance he signs a deal with the Cowboys.

That leaves a 17% of him signing with someone other than the Colts or Cowboys.

That is all just my opinion.  

No thanks on Dak. I like him, and he's played well, but the cost/benefit to me is out of wack. I'd prefer to go all in and give up some draft capital to get a guy early 1st. At least then we'd get 4 cheap years and build with young guy. I'd be open to another vet like Rivers, if Rivers doesn't pan out for another year or two as well. Anyway, I don't think Dak is as good as his stats, and I think his asking price long term is too much.

I'd rather have a guy like Carr is I'm being honest. He'd be reasonable on the cap, and I think he'd perform very well behind our OL, and in our system.

18 hours ago, aaron11 said:

if dak was worth what he was asking or even close the cowboys would give it to him.  someone will overpay if hes on the market, dont want it to be us

i say go after Aaron Rogers 

Yup. Carr or AR are my two. 

QB musical chairs should be pretty interesting the next several years.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Carr or AR are my two. 

QB musical chairs should be pretty interesting the next several years.

It would be crazy if the Colts decided to be the destination of choice for 35+ year old great QB's.   

Rivers

Rodgers

Then whoever is next I guess.  

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

It would be crazy if the Colts decided to be the destination of choice for 35+ year old great QB's.   

Rivers

Rodgers

Then whoever is next I guess.  

If it works, I would have zero problem with it.

Frankly I could see Carr as a real possibility though. He's only 29 now. Statistically, he was top 10 last year with a pretty lackluster supporting cast. Gruden isn't giving him the love he deserves, so I think he'll be on the market in the next couple years, and looking for some love.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If it works, I would have zero problem with it.

Frankly I could see Carr as a real possibility though. He's only 29 now. Statistically, he was top 10 last year with a pretty lackluster supporting cast. Gruden isn't giving him the love he deserves, so I think he'll be on the market in the next couple years, and looking for some love.

I wouldn't have a problem if it works either.  

Would you take Carr for 6 years over Rogers for 2 seasons?  

24 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't have a problem if it works either.  

Would you take Carr for 6 years over Rogers for 2 seasons?  

Yup, absolutely. Carr has never really had decent talent around him at more than one position group, yet he's had some nice years. In 2016 he played great with a couple good WRs and not a lot more. Last year, he did very well with a couple changes to scheme (and not a lot at WR) and a decent RB. I think he'd be pretty darn good with a great OL, and decent skill position guys.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, absolutely. Carr has never really had decent talent around him at more than one position group, yet he's had some nice years. In 2016 he played great with a couple good WRs and not a lot more. Last year, he did very well with a couple changes to scheme (and not a lot at WR) and a decent RB. I think he'd be pretty darn good with a great OL, and decent skill position guys.

I can see that.   The choice just might be hard if Rodgers was still playing like himself and Carr was looking for a huge contract.  

Maybe I have trouble not thinking of Derek's brother as well.  David had a bad career.

Archived