Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

72 players test positive

Behle

1 hour ago, Behle said:

According to SI their have been72 players testing positive for the virus.  This was as of July 10th.  Sorry I am unable to link the article.

I was wondering how long it would take for this story to get posted.   Thanks to Behle for writing about it.

The news is GOOD for the Colts. It appears the Colts were among the teams with the FEWEST cases of Covid.   The chart was very poor and somewhat confusing, but if I had to guess a number was one.   Maybe none.

I’ll post more if I see more on-line or if I can figure the chart out.  

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was wondering how long it would take for this story to get posted.   Thanks to Behle for writing about it.

The news is GOOD for the Colts. It appears the Colts were among the teams with the FEWEST cases of Covid.   The chart was very poor and somewhat confusing, but if I had to guess a number was one.   Maybe none.

Man if they don't find a vaccine soon this season is going to be very trying. Baseball is still starting next Thursday.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man if they don't find a vaccine soon this season is going to be very trying. Baseball is still starting next Thursday.

IMO without a vaccine the season will end up cancelled. 

It may not be at the start of the season but ultimately it will end that way.

Under normal conditions the teams who are the least injured advance thru the playoffs. If this season does play out it will ultimately be the teams with the least amount of positive virus test. 

44 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

72 out of ? tested?

Even if they tested all of them, that would be 90 on 32 teams for a total of 2880.

72 out of 2880 comes to 2.5% and that is a best case scenario

Now, if it is 72 out of just 500 tested (speculating completely here), that is like 1 in 7 for about a 14% positive rate. The denominator does matter, like you said.

Honestly, I think all the games should be played OUTSIDE.  I don't know how we manage that

But there are several places that have such bad outbreaks, I wouldn't want our team going there even if they did play outside

Just now, Nadine said:

Honestly, I think all the games should be played OUTSIDE.  I don't know how we manage that

But there are several places that have such bad outbreaks, I wouldn't want our team going there even if they did play outside

Brady's immune support drink will be tested in Tampa. :) 

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Even if they tested all of them, that would be 90 on 32 teams for a total of 2880.

72 out of 2880 comes to 2.5% and that is a best case scenario

Now, if it is 72 out of just 500 tested (speculating completely here), that is like 1 in 7 for about a 14% positive rate. The denominator does matter, like you said.

It wasn't league wide testing. Was just players exposed or feeling sick. I will see if I can find the article I read.

I don't think it listed how many players had been tested, but like I said it wasn't all players.

Edit: yeah it didn't say how many have been tested just that 72 have tested positive.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

It wasn't league wide testing. Was just players exposed or feeling sick. I will see if I can find the article I read.

I don't think it listed how many players had been tested, but like I said it wasn't all players.

Edit: yeah it didn't say how many have been tested just that 72 have tested positive.

Insufficient data is as bad as none at all.

Article states that as of July 10th 72 players had tested positive. It also stated that not all players were tested. Once camp opens and everyone gets tested then the real scope of the virus will be evident for the league as well as each team. 

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's not really good news. There is no way that the league is doing to let games be played if players test positive on one team and not the other. They will either postpone or cancel the games. That is why I think having a season this year is pretty slim to none.

1 minute ago, FortheWin said:

It's not really good news. There is no way that the league is doing to let games be played if players test positive on one team and not the other. They will either postpone or cancel the games. That is why I think having a season this year is pretty slim to none.

Again....   hard to read the graph...  but all 32 teams appeared on the chart.   Hard to tell if the bottom teams had zero positive test results or one.  

It’s not being talked about here much, but the NFL appears WAY behind the curve on setting up a protocol on what teams should do to proceed.   what steps need to be taken to open and run camp?   What steps need to be taken during the season?

I agree that the season is not looking good.   I’m ONLY referring to the Colts on this chart. It shows our players are handling this difficult situation about as well as we could hope for. 

We will all know more soon.  Players show up for camp soon...  answers are needed...

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again....   hard to read the graph...  but all 32 teams appeared on the chart.   Hard to tell if the bottom teams had zero positive test results or one.  

It’s not being talked about here much, but the NFL appears WAY behind the curve on setting up a protocol on what teams should do to proceed.   what steps need to be taken to open and run camp?   What steps need to be taken during the season?

I agree that the season is not looking good.   I’m ONLY referring to the Colts on this chart. It shows our players are handling this difficult situation about as well as we could hope for. 

We will all know more soon.  Players show up for camp soon...  answers are needed...

I agree. After appearing to be out ahead of this thing back during FA and the draft, they seem very ill-prepared in how to manage the season. I think they may be waiting to see what happens with the other sports as they are all going to begin playing games this month and go from there. I am not sure that is a good idea either as the rosters in football are so much bigger, it is by far the most contact sport and the teams will not play in a bubble. The challenges are immense. I would like to think they will figure something out because so much money is on the line to play the season but things currently don't look very promising. 

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I give the NFL a bit of a pass.   I'm sure they are going to use the NBA and other sports to finalize their plan.   They'll try to get their season in, but I don't think it will happen.  

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The problem is that camp open up before MLB, NBA, and WNBA starts

@NewColtsFan @FortheWin

I agree they can't really model after the NBA or the other leagues.    The NFL is going to have to play for 4-5 months where the NBA is almost going direct to playoffs.   MLB isn't as much contact, so they don't offer much either.   

5 hours ago, Nadine said:

Have teams who play in retractable dome stadiums never close them and those that play in dome stadiums play at local college or even HS stadiums

There are only 5 “hard” dome stadiums in the league

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree they can't really model after the NBA or the other leagues.    The NFL is going to have to play for 4-5 months where the NBA is almost going direct to playoffs.   MLB isn't as much contact, so they don't offer much either.   

I didn’t even mention the fact that the NBA, WNBA, NHL,WTT, and MLS are playing in bubbles

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Have teams who play in retractable dome stadiums never close them and those that play in dome stadiums play at local college or even HS stadiums

There are only 5 “hard” dome stadiums in the league

Is the want to play outside for the fans?    Would it really affect the players?

4 hours ago, FortheWin said:

No they won’t. There will probably be a player here and there miss  each game from a team. I really don’t think it’s going to be soft spread. You are right though if there is a bunch at one time but I don’t see that happening.

On 7/16/2020 at 6:30 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rarely is it a vaccine that stops a pandemic.....vaccines can eradicate a disease pretty much, but herd immunity over extended time is what ends pandemics....

On 7/16/2020 at 4:31 PM, Behle said:

According to SI their have been72 players testing positive for the virus.  This was as of July 10th.  Sorry I am unable to link the article.

The concerning number is not just positives, but who has never had it, or is there long term immunity from antibodies (if they even got some, not all people that recover do).

On 7/16/2020 at 6:30 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Vaccine is likely a good 6 months away. Then if approved, will take time to manufacture and administer to hundreds of millions of people.

22 hours ago, FortheWin said:

There's plans in motion, see below.

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Updated news rom PFT-

Every team will have the ability to return an unlimited number of players to the active roster following placement on injured reserve or the non-football injury/illness list. Effective 9/6/2020, a team can remove any player with a football or non-football injury from the roster for three weeks. After three weeks, the player will be eligible to return to practice. Once he returns to practice, the team will have 21 days to place him back on the active roster. This is to ensure enough player in the event of a Covid outbreak.

As to players who test positive for COVID-19, even more flexibility will apply. A player with a confirmed diagnosis will be placed on the Exempt/Commissioner Permission List. Once the player is medically cleared, the team will be eligible for a roster exemption. A player who is on the Exempt/Commissioner Permission List for less than four weeks will get a one-week roster exemption. If the player is one the list for four weeks or more, it becomes a two-week exemption.

No teams (no matter what/where) will have any fans at training camp.  Only 2 events max at training camp facilities will be allowed.

All IR and Exempt players will receive full pay. Exempt list has no minimum nor maximum time frame as IR does.

So far, that's all I know so far.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/18/clarifying-the-2020-injured-reserve-covid-19-rules/

For what it’s worth...   I went back and looked at the ESPN story about the 72 players who have tested positive....   I wanted to see if the story had been updated.   It was, but not in the way I expected.

The confusing, hard to understand graphic was NOT clarified.   Not made better.  Not made easier to understand.   It was removed.   The actual story remains, but the graphic is gone with no explanation.    Curiously odd. 

Archived