Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Ranks the Colts Darius Leonard as the NFL’s 4th Best Linebacker for 2020


Recommended Posts

Team is just loaded with beast.

 

Everyday it's a new top 5 list. Or 2 in top 10 list.

 

 

Ready to see this team in action.

 

Hopeful but not overly optimistic on full season.

 

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Leonard ranked just behind the Seattle Seahawks Bobby Wagner, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Lavonte David, and Minnesota Vikings Eric Kendricks respectively."

 

Rather decent company. :rock:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

"For perspective, Leonard is the only player in league history to record 250+ tackles, 10.0+ sacks, 5+ interceptions, and 5+ forced fumbles after his first two seasons in the NFL."

 

Maniac.

No “false” news in that info.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

"Leonard ranked just behind the Seattle Seahawks Bobby Wagner, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Lavonte David, and Minnesota Vikings Eric Kendricks respectively."

 

Rather decent company. :rock:

Happen to know where they were picked in draft?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:
20 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

"Leonard ranked just behind the Seattle Seahawks Bobby Wagner, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Lavonte David, and Minnesota Vikings Eric Kendricks respectively."

 

Rather decent company. :rock:

Happen to know where they were picked in draft?

Good question.

Bobby Wagner 47th, 2012 

Lavonte David 58th, 2012 

Eric Kendricks 48th, 2015 

Darius Leonard 36th, 2016 

Luke Kuechly 9th, 2012 (retired)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

"For perspective, Leonard is the only player in league history to record 250+ tackles (284), 10.0+ sacks (12), 5+ interceptions (7), and 5+ forced fumbles (6)after his first two seasons (28 games) in the NFL." 

 

Maniac.

I thought I'd add the actual numbers into your post too.  

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

He's gonna demand big $$$$'s 

So what?

He will get paid what he has earned. You act like this money is coming out of your pocket. 

Players are paid what the teams feel they are worth to the team, not what they are worth to you. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Lol, so? Darius has earned it already, and unless something wild happens, this team will keep him.

So. Salary caps will be decreasing next year. Can't pay Rivers, Nelson, Leonard, Buckner etc big $$$$

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

So. Salary caps will be decreasing next year. Can't pay Rivers, Nelson, Leonard, Buckner etc big $$$$

I will trust Ballard will work it out over your opinion that great players don't deserve great contracts. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I will trust Ballard will work it out over your opinion that great players don't deserve great contracts. 

 

I totally agree with you. CB will have some tough choices to make.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I totally agree with you. CB will have some tough choices to make.

Yes he will, but that is far better than the past when we had average players and lots of money to speculate on costly free agents that we don't know as well. (Like the “rolling ball of butcher knives)

  Ballard has shown some real ability to manage the roster , draft picks, AND salary cap.

  Since Ballard came in and started building “his” roster, we have been young and much of the roster was on cheaper rookie contracts.  Now those players are , and have been, reaching their 2nd contracts.  It will be interesting to see who he values, and who he lets go.  It seems like he does a great job planning for Potential “big paydays.”  Picking the Wisconsin RB when Mack is coming to FA is a great example.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yes he will, but that is far better than the past when we had average players and lots of money to speculate on costly free agents that we don't know as well. (Like the “rolling ball of butcher knives)

  Ballard has shown some real ability to manage the roster , draft picks, AND salary cap.

  Since Ballard came in and started building “his” roster, we have been young and much of the roster was on cheaper rookie contracts.  Now those players are , and have been, reaching their 2nd contracts.  It will be interesting to see who he values, and who he lets go.  It seems like he does a great job planning for Potential “big paydays.”  Picking the Wisconsin RB when Mack is coming to FA is a great example.

If the team does well, it is always harder to see players go elsewhere.  It's just part of the game though.   Will the Colts be able to keep Nelson, Smith, Leonard, Hilton, Houston, Autry, Kelly and the rest?   Probably not, but as long as Ballard continues to draft well, we should be fine.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Myles said:

If the team does well, it is always harder to see players go elsewhere.  It's just part of the game though.   Will the Colts be able to keep Nelson, Smith, Leonard, Hilton, Houston, Autry, Kelly and the rest?   Probably not, but as long as Ballard continues to draft well, we should be fine.  

When teams have an overload of talent they end up having to let players go or trade them. 

Fans whining about a team being in that position just are not looking at the big picture. 

I agree Ballard will have to make those choices when the time comes. 

That is a hellava lot better than what position we have been in the past. 

I can recall when we were looking for decent players just to fill the roster. I am sure not going to complain if we reach the point those hard decisions have to be made. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Myles said:

If the team does well, it is always harder to see players go elsewhere.  It's just part of the game though.   Will the Colts be able to keep Nelson, Smith, Leonard, Hilton, Houston, Autry, Kelly and the rest?   Probably not, but as long as Ballard continues to draft well, we should be fine.  

Yup.  Of those, autry, houston, and hilton will probably be gone.  At their ages, its eventually inevitable.  Unless, of course, team-friendly deals can be arranged.! Luckily, Ballard seems to prepare with younger, more cap-friendly replacements.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yup.  Of those, autry, houston, and hilton will probably be gone.  At their ages, its eventually inevitable.  Unless, of course, team-friendly deals can be arranged.! Luckily, Ballard seems to prepare with younger, more cap-friendly replacements.

Hilton if he wants to play and is reasonable I could see for a couple more years....Houston won't command top dollar for a two year extension unless he repeats last year....he'll get paid, but not at a ultra premium.... Autry is replaceable, which might make him reasonably priced as well, I'd rather keep Day though....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 5:01 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

So. Salary caps will be decreasing next year. Can't pay Rivers, Nelson, Leonard, Buckner etc big $$$$

 

No chance salary cap decreases.

 

Deflation has never occurred with the currency in this country. Look at the cost of living now compared to 1990. There's a greater chance of the Cleveland Browns winning the superbowl in our lifetime.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

 

No chance salary cap decreases.

 

Deflation has never occurred with the currency in this country. Look at the cost of living now compared to 1990. There's a greater chance of the Cleveland Browns winning the superbowl in our lifetime.

You may want to do some research.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 5:01 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

So. Salary caps will be decreasing next year. Can't pay Rivers, Nelson, Leonard, Buckner etc big $$$$

That may be true but it won't be the Colts' problem in a vacuum.  It will be happening to all other 31 teams as well.  This means either players around the league will be signing for less money or else they will sit.  Again, not just a Colts problem.  That's why the cap works and sports like baseball are falling behind.  There is cap parity which = fan interest around the league and not just in a few big cities.  What affects one team in regards to the cap affects all.  Baseball needs to take a hard look in the mirror because if you aren't a fan of  a team in a large market with deeper pockets your chances of winning anything meaningful are slim.  In fact, KC is the only non-large market team to win it all since 2011.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 9:25 PM, WoolMagnet said:

Happen to know where they were picked in draft?

Bobby Wagner pick number 47

LaVante David pick number 58

Eric Kendricks pick number 45

 

Maniac pick number 36

 

I know what you were thinking, but the Maniac was drafted before all of them - and our GM was roasted for it by the media.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Bobby Wagner pick number 47

LaVante David pick number 58

Eric Kendricks pick number 45

 

Maniac pick number 36

 

I know what you were thinking, but the Maniac was drafted before all of them - and our GM was roasted for it by the media.

It wasn't just the media. It was right here in this forum as well. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Bobby Wagner pick number 47

LaVante David pick number 58

Eric Kendricks pick number 45

 

Maniac pick number 36

 

I know what you were thinking, but the Maniac was drafted before all of them - and our GM was roasted for it by the media.

My question wasn't meant to be snarky, i was genuinely curious.  But i am surprised all were later than Leonard.

Thanks for the info.  A great example of why i love this forum so much.  It has helped me be so much more informed of the team i love.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Bobby Wagner pick number 47

LaVante David pick number 58

Eric Kendricks pick number 45

 

Maniac pick number 36

 

I know what you were thinking, but the Maniac was drafted before all of them - and our GM was roasted for it by the media.

I won’t say there weren’t some second guessers in the media, I’m sure there were.   But I think the biggest group of second guessers were right here on this website.   And it’s always been that way here.

 

And it won’t change much.  It’s the nature of fandom....   just sayin.. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I won’t say there weren’t some second guessers in the media, I’m sure there were.   But I think the biggest group of second guessers were right here on this website.   And it’s always been that way here.

 

And it won’t change much.  It’s the nature of fandom....   just sayin.. 

I haven't paid much attention to the draft threads in the past.   Mostly because, outside of the 1st round, I don't know many of the players.  I don't watch a whole lot of college football.   So most of the time, I wait to see how the player turns out.   I may complain about the position a draft pick plays, like if they would have drafted Taylor at #34 instead of Pittman.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 8:22 PM, WoolMagnet said:

My question wasn't meant to be snarky, i was genuinely curious.  But i am surprised all were later than Leonard.

Thanks for the info.  A great example of why i love this forum so much.  It has helped me be so much more informed of the team i love.

 

I didn't read it as snarky, I read it as a comparison in draft position. Nothing more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I didn't read it as snarky, I read it as a comparison in draft position. Nothing more. 

Good.  Its hard to convey tone sometimes with written words.

same goes for texting.  I get “are you mad?” All the time when texting.  I think i try to cut down the number of words and it comes across are overly direct.

i’m a pretty laid-back guy.  But i am rather opinionated.  Haha

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • FWIW I thought this from last weeks mail bag was funny because it seems to support what both you and I are saying.  If what I understand your point being is the dline including Buckner played similarly well both games and my belief that 3techs don’t need to record sacks and tfls to be dominant. : “I can understand why fans who watched last Sunday's opener against the Jaguars, and then checked out the box score afterwards, might come away with the conclusion that DeForest Buckner didn't have much of an impact on the game. After all, the Colts traded away their 13th-overall pick in this year's NFL Draft to acquire Buckner, and then immediately handed him a huge contract extension, so expectations are high. I get that. But looking back at the film, I think what's evident is Buckner deserves a little bit more credit beyond his stat-sheet line of six tackles (one for a loss). As the defensive line started to gel in the second half — that's when it limited Jacksonville to six combined rushing yards and had three of its four sacks — you began to feel Buckner much more consistently, and the attention placed on him allowed for others (I thought linebacker Bobby Okereke was fantastic in the second half) to make plays. Buckner also had the eighth-best week among all NFL interior defensive linemen in run stop win rate in Week 1, according to ESPN. Now, moving forward, of course you want to see more of those impact-type plays out of Buckner — sacks, big run stuffs, forced fumbles, defensive touchdowns, etc. But I think it's also important to to remember there are other ways for the three-tech to impact the game, and Buckner did a pretty good job of that last Sunday.”  
    • I’m a little surprised you don’t see a difference in dline play between  the two games.  I don’t have access to any of the services but I would suspect that The grades are significantly higher for the dline in Sunday compared to the Jax game.   but Sunday was even more dominant than i thought, and I thought it was dominant.  Between the opening drive during which MN gained 75 and scored a FG and their last meaningless drive for 75 yds and a TD, the Colts gave up a total of 25 other yds.    against Jax, we gave up around 60 yds rushing in the 1st half and the dline looked less than dominant then imo.  Jax had 5 of 8 drives during which they scored if you throw out the kneel downs at the end of each half.   Percentage of  tackles and sacks for linemen were very similar in both games.  You said that colts had more pressures during the mn game and I said probably a function of Jax short passing attack.   buckner had 6 tackles v Jax and 3 v mn.  He had no sacks v Jax but 1.5 tfl.  He had 1.5 sacks v mn but no other tfl.  Statistically counting sacks, tackles, and tfl he was “better” V Jax.  But you probably don’t think He was better Iwould suspect.   i would be shocked if the dline didn’t grade out higher v. Mn than Jax even though the tackles, tfl, and sacks were very similar over all.   im sure teams keep advanced stats that show a clearer pic of when a d lineman wins or loses on each Play that doesn’t necessarily match easier to see stats like tackles, etc.   do you have access to the grades?  I’d really be interested in the units grades in the two games.   i agree there can be other factors like obviously opponent strength and the play of LBs and dbs.  And mn looks like they might suck pretty bad surprisingly to me.  I think the main problem with lasts weeks game imo is the LBs are weak in coverage and Indy is as a result susceptible to short passing attacks.     that being said, rarely do dlines dominate the LOs like the colts did.   i maintain that a guy like Buckner and dts in general could have nit recorded a sack, had only a couple of tackles and be more dominant than In a game where he recorded a few tackles and a couple of sacks.    
    • Let's hire an exorcist!  
    • Didn't Nick Bosa get hurt this week too?
    • This might be helpful.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...