Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Ranks the Colts Darius Leonard as the NFL’s 4th Best Linebacker for 2020

Luck2Hilton4TD

11 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

"For perspective, Leonard is the only player in league history to record 250+ tackles, 10.0+ sacks, 5+ interceptions, and 5+ forced fumbles after his first two seasons in the NFL."

Maniac.

No “false” news in that info.

11 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

"Leonard ranked just behind the Seattle Seahawks Bobby Wagner, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Lavonte David, and Minnesota Vikings Eric Kendricks respectively."

Rather decent company. :rock:

Happen to know where they were picked in draft?

9 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:
20 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

"Leonard ranked just behind the Seattle Seahawks Bobby Wagner, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Lavonte David, and Minnesota Vikings Eric Kendricks respectively."

Rather decent company. :rock:

Good question.

Bobby Wagner 47th, 2012 

Lavonte David 58th, 2012 

Eric Kendricks 48th, 2015 

Darius Leonard 36th, 2016 

Luke Kuechly 9th, 2012 (retired)

20 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

"For perspective, Leonard is the only player in league history to record 250+ tackles (284), 10.0+ sacks (12), 5+ interceptions (7), and 5+ forced fumbles (6)after his first two seasons (28 games) in the NFL." 

Maniac.

I thought I'd add the actual numbers into your post too.  

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

He's gonna demand big $$$$'s 

So what?

He will get paid what he has earned. You act like this money is coming out of your pocket. 

Players are paid what the teams feel they are worth to the team, not what they are worth to you. 

5 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I totally agree with you. CB will have some tough choices to make.

Yes he will, but that is far better than the past when we had average players and lots of money to speculate on costly free agents that we don't know as well. (Like the “rolling ball of butcher knives)

Ballard has shown some real ability to manage the roster , draft picks, AND salary cap.

Since Ballard came in and started building “his” roster, we have been young and much of the roster was on cheaper rookie contracts.  Now those players are , and have been, reaching their 2nd contracts.  It will be interesting to see who he values, and who he lets go.  It seems like he does a great job planning for Potential “big paydays.”  Picking the Wisconsin RB when Mack is coming to FA is a great example.

7 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yes he will, but that is far better than the past when we had average players and lots of money to speculate on costly free agents that we don't know as well. (Like the “rolling ball of butcher knives)

Ballard has shown some real ability to manage the roster , draft picks, AND salary cap.

Since Ballard came in and started building “his” roster, we have been young and much of the roster was on cheaper rookie contracts.  Now those players are , and have been, reaching their 2nd contracts.  It will be interesting to see who he values, and who he lets go.  It seems like he does a great job planning for Potential “big paydays.”  Picking the Wisconsin RB when Mack is coming to FA is a great example.

If the team does well, it is always harder to see players go elsewhere.  It's just part of the game though.   Will the Colts be able to keep Nelson, Smith, Leonard, Hilton, Houston, Autry, Kelly and the rest?   Probably not, but as long as Ballard continues to draft well, we should be fine.  

42 minutes ago, Myles said:

If the team does well, it is always harder to see players go elsewhere.  It's just part of the game though.   Will the Colts be able to keep Nelson, Smith, Leonard, Hilton, Houston, Autry, Kelly and the rest?   Probably not, but as long as Ballard continues to draft well, we should be fine.  

When teams have an overload of talent they end up having to let players go or trade them. 

Fans whining about a team being in that position just are not looking at the big picture. 

I agree Ballard will have to make those choices when the time comes. 

That is a hellava lot better than what position we have been in the past. 

I can recall when we were looking for decent players just to fill the roster. I am sure not going to complain if we reach the point those hard decisions have to be made. 

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Yup.  Of those, autry, houston, and hilton will probably be gone.  At their ages, its eventually inevitable.  Unless, of course, team-friendly deals can be arranged.! Luckily, Ballard seems to prepare with younger, more cap-friendly replacements.

23 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yup.  Of those, autry, houston, and hilton will probably be gone.  At their ages, its eventually inevitable.  Unless, of course, team-friendly deals can be arranged.! Luckily, Ballard seems to prepare with younger, more cap-friendly replacements.

Hilton if he wants to play and is reasonable I could see for a couple more years....Houston won't command top dollar for a two year extension unless he repeats last year....he'll get paid, but not at a ultra premium.... Autry is replaceable, which might make him reasonably priced as well, I'd rather keep Day though....

On 7/16/2020 at 5:01 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

So. Salary caps will be decreasing next year. Can't pay Rivers, Nelson, Leonard, Buckner etc big $$$$

No chance salary cap decreases.

Deflation has never occurred with the currency in this country. Look at the cost of living now compared to 1990. There's a greater chance of the Cleveland Browns winning the superbowl in our lifetime.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

No chance salary cap decreases.

Deflation has never occurred with the currency in this country. Look at the cost of living now compared to 1990. There's a greater chance of the Cleveland Browns winning the superbowl in our lifetime.

You may want to do some research.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:01 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

So. Salary caps will be decreasing next year. Can't pay Rivers, Nelson, Leonard, Buckner etc big $$$$

That may be true but it won't be the Colts' problem in a vacuum.  It will be happening to all other 31 teams as well.  This means either players around the league will be signing for less money or else they will sit.  Again, not just a Colts problem.  That's why the cap works and sports like baseball are falling behind.  There is cap parity which = fan interest around the league and not just in a few big cities.  What affects one team in regards to the cap affects all.  Baseball needs to take a hard look in the mirror because if you aren't a fan of  a team in a large market with deeper pockets your chances of winning anything meaningful are slim.  In fact, KC is the only non-large market team to win it all since 2011.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:25 PM, WoolMagnet said:

Bobby Wagner pick number 47

LaVante David pick number 58

Eric Kendricks pick number 45

Maniac pick number 36

I know what you were thinking, but the Maniac was drafted before all of them - and our GM was roasted for it by the media.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Maniac pick number 36

I know what you were thinking, but the Maniac was drafted before all of them - and our GM was roasted for it by the media.

It wasn't just the media. It was right here in this forum as well. 

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Maniac pick number 36

My question wasn't meant to be snarky, i was genuinely curious.  But i am surprised all were later than Leonard.

Thanks for the info.  A great example of why i love this forum so much.  It has helped me be so much more informed of the team i love.

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Maniac pick number 36

I won’t say there weren’t some second guessers in the media, I’m sure there were.   But I think the biggest group of second guessers were right here on this website.   And it’s always been that way here.

And it won’t change much.  It’s the nature of fandom....   just sayin.. 

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I won’t say there weren’t some second guessers in the media, I’m sure there were.   But I think the biggest group of second guessers were right here on this website.   And it’s always been that way here.

And it won’t change much.  It’s the nature of fandom....   just sayin.. 

I haven't paid much attention to the draft threads in the past.   Mostly because, outside of the 1st round, I don't know many of the players.  I don't watch a whole lot of college football.   So most of the time, I wait to see how the player turns out.   I may complain about the position a draft pick plays, like if they would have drafted Taylor at #34 instead of Pittman.   

On 7/19/2020 at 8:22 PM, WoolMagnet said:

My question wasn't meant to be snarky, i was genuinely curious.  But i am surprised all were later than Leonard.

Thanks for the info.  A great example of why i love this forum so much.  It has helped me be so much more informed of the team i love.

I didn't read it as snarky, I read it as a comparison in draft position. Nothing more. 

14 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I didn't read it as snarky, I read it as a comparison in draft position. Nothing more. 

Good.  Its hard to convey tone sometimes with written words.

same goes for texting.  I get “are you mad?” All the time when texting.  I think i try to cut down the number of words and it comes across are overly direct.

i’m a pretty laid-back guy.  But i am rather opinionated.  Haha

Archived