Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts GM Chris Ballard Voted By NFL Agents as the League’s Most Trustworthy Exec and Best Talent Evaluator

Luck2Hilton4TD

On 7/13/2020 at 3:30 PM, WoolMagnet said:

Grigs gets wayyyyy too much credit for the 2012 draft, imo.

Luck was a no-brainer.  The TEs at #2 and #3 were over-inflated due to Luck’s abilities.  One could argue it hurt our defense as well.  Those are some high picks to take 2 TEs back to back.  The Hilton pick was good, but you can also argue he benefitted from Luck’s ability and having a pretty good #2,WR opposite him.  We’ve seen TYs numbers go way down without Luck.  After the first 4 picks, #1 being a no-brainer, the draft wasnt all that impressive really.

I believe if he is healthy, T.Y. is better than good, that first game of the season he was the main reason they took the game into overtime, he still has the speed, it's the durability, after the quad injury in week 3, we didn't see him on a regular basis. A year ago, I was looking forward to an offense with Luck,Hilton, Funchess, & Ebron, and things didn't work out.:hissy::wall:

2 hours ago, horseshoepower said:

I believe if he is healthy, T.Y. is better than good, that first game of the season he was the main reason they took the game into overtime, he still has the speed, it's the durability, after the quad injury in week 3, we didn't see him on a regular basis. A year ago, I was looking forward to an offense with Luck,Hilton, Funchess, & Ebron, and things didn't work out.:hissy::wall:

I like TY.  He’s been a great Colt.  But he’s no Marvin, and I truly feel he needs another WR on the field that defenses need to account for.  The Funchess/Ebron debacle didnt help i agree.

I’m hoping the injuries TY has dealt with account for the downturn (along with the QB).  We need the TY that used to show up when we played Houston.  Im hoping a healthy Campbell, and additions of Pittman and Rivers will show in TYs effectiveness.

All that aside, I’m just hoping we see football at all this year.  Its looking awful sketchy for college ball.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are always looking to throw some negative in whenever something positive happens. It is a very good thing that agents find Ballard trustworthy. I know personally if I don't trust someone then I don't deal with them. Just because he was voted as most trustworthy and best talent evaluator it doesn't mean he is going to be perfect. He has said so himself that he had made mistakes. EVERY GM in the NFL makes mistakes. So far Ballard has hit far more than he has missed and he has made this team better since his arrival. I really don't think there is much that Colts fans really have to complain about in how Chris Ballard has performed since his arrival in Indy.

8 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are always looking to throw some negative in whenever something positive happens. It is a very good thing that agents find Ballard trustworthy. I know personally if I don't trust someone then I don't deal with them. Just because he was voted as most trustworthy and best talent evaluator it doesn't mean he is going to be perfect. He has said so himself that he had made mistakes. EVERY GM in the NFL makes mistakes. So far Ballard has hit far more than he has missed and he has made this team better since his arrival. I really don't think there is much that Colts fans really have to complain about in how Chris Ballard has performed since his arrival in Indy.

He has been amazing in Indy.   No question.  Outside of QB, this is the best team from top to bottom that I have seen the Colts have in a decade.  

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

They just spent $25 mill to upgrade the QB position from JB.   I don’t see us running back to JB quickly if there’s a slow start.

With the expectation that this one upgrade opportunity takes us from competing for a division championship with JB to winning one... 

I’ll expand my comments to say this....   If it’s clear that the slow start is due to Rivers himself, then we might make a change at some point.   But if, according to the coaching and front office, the slow start is due to problems elsewhere, then I think we’ll be more patient than the fan base is.

I should have clarified myself more, as I thought that was understood by implying the slow start. If we start slow, it’s likely a quarterback issue, IMO. The roster is ready and in place. The coaching is there. The playmakers are there. 

Again, thus is just my opinion.  Nit stating this as fact.  

As are my comments. Never intend to be argumentative if it comes off that way. 

15 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If we start slow, it’s likely a quarterback issue, IMO. The roster is ready and in place. The coaching is there. The play makers are there. 

Here is the thing. Andrew Luck started 1-5 in 2018, they were not rushing to go back to JB, were they? That is because if they have confidence in what the QB can do as time goes on, whether it is coming off an injury gaining rhythm (like Luck was) or playing with unfamiliar cast even if it is a familiar system (Rivers), chances are they stick with that person.

During that 1-5 start, we had the Jack Doyle critical fumble vs Bengals in game 1, 40 plus points given to the Jets, failed 4th down call vs the Texans, short week game at Foxboro without key injured players, plus Luck throwing a few picks as well all happen during that stretch. Similarly, they will evaluate the circumstances around any slow start before jumping the gun. Just my take on it. :) 

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If we start slow, it’s likely a quarterback issue, IMO. The roster is ready and in place. The coaching is there. The playmakers are there. 

Maybe.   It may be a QB issue in that he is a new QB to the team and has lots of young inexperienced WR's.  The offense will need to adjust to the drastic difference in play from JB to Rivers.  

I'm really not worried about the offense.   The running game will be good and Rivers will do well.   

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

Maybe.   It may be a QB issue in that he is a new QB to the team and has lots of young inexperienced WR's.  The offense will need to adjust to the drastic difference in play from JB to Rivers.  

I'm really not worried about the offense.   The running game will be good and Rivers will do well.   

Doesn't help with virtually no organized team offseason either.

Good thing Rivers is already familiar with the system. Will definitely help.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Here is the thing. Andrew Luck started 1-5 in 2018, they were not rushing to go back to JB, were they? That is because if they have confidence in what the QB can do as time goes on, whether it is coming off an injury gaining rhythm (like Luck was) or playing with unfamiliar cast even if it is a familiar system (Rivers), chances are they stick with that person.

During that 1-5 start, we had the Jack Doyle critical fumble vs Bengals in game 1, 40 plus points given to the Jets, failed 4th down call vs the Texans, short week game at Foxboro without key injured players, plus Luck throwing a few picks as well all happen during that stretch. Similarly, they will evaluate the circumstances around any slow start before jumping the gun. Just my take on it. :) 

It isn’t the same scenario as the issue wasn’t Andrew Luck, it was the defense not coming together early. The entire point was if the issue is solely on rivers not performing and the losses putting us in an early 1-5 hole like in 2018, I’m not sure how they can continue that path. At that point, it might be too late to even salvage. 

i don’t think it will happen, regardless. I think Rivers can manage the game better than JB and that is what is needed, especially early as they get into a groove. All that’s needed is a start good enough to put us in position to win the division. Rivers is the logical pick because of his familiarity with the offense, and the pieces that make him comfortable on offense (great o-line, dual runningbacks along with Hines in a role that Rivers thrives on, good receivers as well as a big body possession type to throw to, strong tight end room.) The defense is what is going to win this team ball games. The offense just has to perform efficiently. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I don’t see any issues Rivers has being because of him being new. Brady won’t have that issue in Tampa and I don’t see Rivers here either. They are consummate professional qb’s. Any issue is going to be physically with his age setting in (which anyone down on the move’s big concern) and him coming out of the gate early forcing interceptions. I don’t see either of those things happening, especially the latter. The age is always a concern, but I haven’t seen anything out of him that indicates he can’t perform at a very high level. He’s even a dark horse candidate for MVP. That speaks volumes. 

35 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It isn’t the same scenario as the issue wasn’t Andrew Luck, it was the defense not coming together early. The entire point was if the issue is solely on rivers not performing and the losses putting us in an early 1-5 hole like in 2018, I’m not sure how they can continue that path. At that point, it might be too late to even salvage. 

It is not like Andrew Luck was lighting it up during the 1-5 streak, he was throwing picks and pick sixes and was very inefficient. Yes, the D was not providing the support like it did later, and Luck not being in rhythm and dictate tempo put us in holes too, so it was a combination of both. It was the second half of the Texans game that Luck woke up, it seems like, and things looked better on his front after that. Luck had plenty of things he did not do well to cause those deficits and losses.

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

With the expectation that this one upgrade opportunity takes us from competing for a division championship with JB to winning one... 

I should have clarified myself more, as I thought that was understood by implying the slow start. If we start slow, it’s likely a quarterback issue, IMO. The roster is ready and in place. The coaching is there. The playmakers are there. 

As are my comments. Never intend to be argumentative if it comes off that way. 

My last comment where I stress that thus is my opinion, wasn’t so much meant for you as it was for a few posters who say I State opinion as fact.   I wanted to be clear for them. 

You're not argumentative at all.   We’re good. 

23 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Agreed.  All Grigs had to do was draft Luck and blow the money on FAs.  He was given nearly the same opportunity Ballard had (a lot of money and a good QB).  Except Grigson's teams deteriorated quickly while Ballard has built a foundation.  Not to mention Ballard had to deal with a coach AND his franchise QB bailing on him.  

Comparing those 2 situations, Grigs got off easy with his award.  

No way. I am not going to defend the job that Grigs did overall...I wanted him gone much sooner than others.

But...I will point out that you are wrong about Grigs having it easy. He inherited a terrible 2-14 roster...and a lot of dead cap that first year...from Manning and having to cut other leftover vets from the Polian era (Clark, Brackett, Bullitt, Addai).

He spent what little cap space he had to re-sign both Wayne and Mathis (moves that were criticized by some at the time)...and other cheap FAs like Redding and Avery. He also traded a future pick for a young Vontae Davis before the season began. All of those players played critical roles on that massive turnaround.

That is why he won the award...not just because of that draft (which I agree is overrated in hindsight)...but because of the totality of his work that offseason...and the situation he was in. And he absolutely deserved it.

It wasn't until he cycled through that dead cap space that he started spending real money in FA. And with an elite franchise QB on a rookie deal...he absolutely should have been aggressive. Unfortunately...he just wasn't very good at evaluation...and made poor moves left and right...while dealing with some bad injury luck. Still...it got them to precipice. 

When Ballard took over, he too had a really bad roster...but lots of cap flexibility. He was more prudent (probably because of unknowns about Luck, scheme, coaching, etc.). But those unknowns also meant that Ballard's first year got to be a "rebuilding year" with little expectations...and it fortuitously resulted in the #3 pick in a QB heavy draft with multiple QB needy teams. And with a franchise QB already on the roster...he had options. To his (much deserved) credit...he absolutely crushed the trade with the NYJ and (possibly) all of the picks he got from that trade. But that was a massive opportunity that very few Execs ever get.

How does that 2018 draft look IF Luck retired a year early...and Ballard has to strongly considering using that #3 pick on a QB? 

Because that's essentially what Grigs had to do. Yes he got Luck...but for the purpose of roster construction...Luck just a replacement for the franchise QB that was injured and released...and he had to use his most valuable asset he would ever have...to get that replacement. Who knows what that draft (and Grigs' overall draft record) looks like if Grigs was allowed to cash in on that pick.

I am a big Ballard fan...and I am hopeful there are great things coming for this team...but if I am being objective...if anyone got off easy their first year...it was him. There are fans that place the blame for that 2017 draft class on Pagano...and then there are others that would tell you that offseason technically didn't happen...and 2018 was actually Ballard's first year.

We all know Ballard is a better GM (all aspects)...but we really can't compare him and Grigs...because they have just had different paths. And to be fair...neither has had a winning season without Luck as the starting QB that season...but Grigs actually had a 6-4 record without Luck...while Ballard is 11-21. I expect that this season will improve upon that.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

My last comment where I stress that thus is my opinion, wasn’t so much meant for you as it was for a few posters who say I State opinion as fact.   I wanted to be clear for them. 

You're not argumentative at all.   We’re good. 

some posters are good at projection. They see your opinion and disagree because they take their opinion as fact... 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

How does that 2018 draft look IF Luck retired a year early...and Ballard has to strongly considering using that #3 pick on a QB? 

There are a million variables with that question, all which would have resulted in a much different and possibly even better roster for now and the long term... 

Archived