Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts GM Chris Ballard Voted By NFL Agents as the League’s Most Trustworthy Exec and Best Talent Evaluator

Luck2Hilton4TD

3 minutes ago, chad hugo said:

Just doing his job.

PS. Is anyone else seeing this ugly Times New Roman font everywhere? If so, how do I change it?

You'll have to talk to Ballard.   He's been put in charge of the fonts.   

4 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Oh. How many exec of the year awards has CB won?

Grigs gets wayyyyy too much credit for the 2012 draft, imo.

Luck was a no-brainer.  The TEs at #2 and #3 were over-inflated due to Luck’s abilities.  One could argue it hurt our defense as well.  Those are some high picks to take 2 TEs back to back.  The Hilton pick was good, but you can also argue he benefitted from Luck’s ability and having a pretty good #2,WR opposite him.  We’ve seen TYs numbers go way down without Luck.  After the first 4 picks, #1 being a no-brainer, the draft wasnt all that impressive really.

7 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Luck was a no-brainer.  The TEs at #2 and #3 were over-inflated due to Luck’s abilities.  One could argue it hurt our defense as well.  Those are some high picks to take 2 TEs back to back.  The Hilton pick was good, but you can also argue he benefitted from Luck’s ability and having a pretty good #2,WR opposite him.  We’ve seen TYs numbers go way down without Luck.  After the first 4 picks, #1 being a no-brainer, the draft wasnt all that impressive really.

Yet they made the playoffs when everyone was predicting they would be drafting #1 again the following year and Grigs won exec of the year.

There have been so many positive threads this off-season.   From NFL.com, from ESPN.com,  from PFF... 

— About our draft...

— About our free agents...

— About our GM...

Doesn't all of this make that infamous thread...  you know....   The one this off-season that said that Ballard was Meh...   that turned into a long thread..  maybe 10 pages...   doesn’t the off-season success we’ve had here in 2020 make that thread look...  Ridiculous?!?  

I mean seriously...   ridiculous.   

Sorry to the poster who started the thread.   Sorry to all the posters who agreed with the OP, but the thread couldn’t look sillier.  

The man is so good at his job.   It’s not Ballard worship.   It’s a simple acknowledgement that CB is good at his job.

And yes, I know this season could blow up if Rivers isn’t who we hope he is.  If not, it’s a one year gamble that didn’t pay off.    As long as Chris Ballard is here, the Colts should always be competitive.   For me as a fan, I can’t ask for more.   Your mileage may vary...

Ballard came in and needed to fix the O-line.   He took the 3rd pick in the draft and turned it into Nelson and Smith (also Wilkins, Turray and Rock) and turned the O-line into one of the best in the league.  He took a poor defense and made it into a middle of the pack defense with expectations of moving to a top 10 defense in 2020.   Outside of QB, this team is better at almost every position.  

19 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Agreed.  All Grigs had to do was draft Luck and blow the money on FAs.  He was given nearly the same opportunity Ballard had (a lot of money and a good QB).  Except Grigson's teams deteriorated quickly while Ballard has built a foundation.  Not to mention Ballard had to deal with a coach AND his franchise QB bailing on him.  

Comparing those 2 situations, Grigs got off easy with his award.  

19 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yeah, I understand the cupboard was bare on the offensive side but there was Cordy Glenn sitting where Fleener was and being a former OL, I felt Grigson could have gone OL and waited on the TE, especially if he got his future #1 WR in TY in Round 3. I felt that way at top of Round 2 then, I feel the same way now. On top of draft picks, the fact that he was not on the same page with the HC amplified everything to make it worse. Well, it is water under the bridge now. 

Ballard is following through on his statement that we are not going to be about 1 player, and that philosophy will help him survive Luck's retirement in the short term and long term. If Polian lost Peyton, we knew what happened because that team did not have the talent all around though the talent prior to his son Chris Polian taking over was assembled better, still the special teams was putrid throughout his tenure. 

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And yes, I know this season could blow up if Rivers isn’t who we hope he is.

could... He obviously recognizes this gamble as just that, by keeping a safety net in Brissett. This team will be competing for a division championship and playoff spot regardless if Rivers pans out. I trust Frank Reich to have the foresight to turn the keys back to JB if Rivers lays a turd out of the gate (doubtful, but possible) and that Ballard has or will go over that scenario as a game plan for the season with Reich and company. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

could... He obviously recognizes this gamble as just that, by keeping a safety net in Brissett. This team will be competing for a division championship and playoff spot regardless if Rivers pans out. I trust Frank Reich to have the foresight to turn the keys back to JB if Rivers lays a turd out of the gate (doubtful, but possible) and that Ballard has or will go over that scenario as a game plan for the season with Reich and company. 

I’d say the odds of benching Rivers if he gets off to a slow start are very small.  He’s a $25 million dollar horse.  We’re going to ride him for a while.  He’s going to get a big benefit of the doubt.   Especially in a season where the practice schedule is likely to be very inconsistent due to all the chaos we’re experiencing.  

With all the insanity,  expect the unexpected.  

Just saying....

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’d say the odds of benching Rivers if he gets off to a slow start are very small.  He’s a $25 million dollar horse.  We’re going to ride him for a while.  He’s going to get a big benefit of the doubt.   Especially in a season where the practice schedule is likely to be very inconsistent due to all the chaos we’re experiencing.  

With all the insanity,  expect the unexpected.  

Just saying....

You think a one year deal is worth taking chances on losing? Especially if they start off in a hole similar to 2018? I don’t think he gets the benefit of the doubt, at all. I think he’s expected to come in and perform. If he doesn’t, I see no reason why they won’t move back to JB, whom has a lot of respect and trust by the roster. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You think a one year deal is worth taking chances on losing? Especially if they start off in a hole similar to 2018? I don’t think he gets the benefit of the doubt, at all. I think he’s expected to come in and perform. If he doesn’t, I see no reason why they won’t move back to JB, whom has a lot of respect and trust by the roster. 

They just spent $25 mill to upgrade the QB position from JB.   I don’t see us running back to JB quickly if there’s a slow start.

I’ll expand my comments to say this....   If it’s clear that the slow start is due to Rivers himself, then we might make a change at some point.   But if, according to the coaching and front office, the slow start is due to problems elsewhere, then I think we’ll be more patient than the fan base is.

Again, thus is just my opinion.  Nit stating this as fact.  

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Yes, CB is brilliant. No other GM in the League would pay a backup QB 20+ million. Brilliant!!!!

You can’t seem to get the facts straight....

Brissett was NOT the backup when he got the new contract.   He was the starter.   CB upped his salary to make it starter money.   It was a vote of confidence, not just for JB but for the rest of the team as well.

And the decision looked fine right up until JB jury his knee.  He had played well, we were 5-2.   Things went bad after the knee injury.

And the signing didn’t hurt the Colts.  We had the money, the salary cap space to do it.  We could afford it last year and this year.  No harm was done. 

I applaud that you’re so up front.  You’re willing to publicly criticize a very popular General Manager.  Good for you.  Good luck with that. 

Keep digging! 

Archived