Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Letter from Irsay to club season ticket holders

deedub75

Colts Club Season Ticket Members,

This is an unprecedented time for our sport. As we navigate the twists and turns of the COVID-19 pandemic, I want you to know that our top priority is the safety of our fans, players and staff.

As such, our league is instituting some significant changes to the gameday experience that will affect all of us. This will include:

A modified preseason schedule,

Reduced stadium capacity that complies with CDC guidelines for social distancing,

Tarps being placed over the eight rows nearest the field as an increased safety measure for football personnel and fans,

A food and beverage experience that minimizes person-to-person contact,

An adjusted game presentation that eliminates non-essential personnel on the playing field, and

Additional health and safety protocols, including face coverings.

We understand that some of these changes will impact your ability to attend games this season and are in the process of developing our overall plan as it relates to our Club Season Ticket Members. This will include a fair and equitable way to offer you these limited seating options.

Your Colts representative will be in touch in the coming weeks with more detail on how these changes will be managed—and, most importantly, how it will affect you and your current contract for the upcoming season.

I cannot tell you how important you are to the Indianapolis Colts franchise and how much we appreciate your loyalty and support. I ask for your patience and understanding as we move forward together.

God bless you and your loved ones, stay safe—and GO COLTS!

Jim Irsay

Colts.com | Schedule | Tickets

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Is there going to be a lottery for certain sections after club season ticket holders are taken care of first? 

I'm sure I will be hearing from my rep soon.  I will be opting out if they allow it.  

Just now, deedub75 said:

I'm sure I will be hearing from my rep soon.  I will be opting out if they allow it.  

I would have to think that by prioritizing families, they can maximize seating dollars and let them sit together and worry about social distancing for the next party. 

So, in other words, parties of one will have last priority. Parties of two or higher will get first priority since you could have 3 people sitting next to each other at the end and start with a gap of 2 seats after that and so on...

Just now, chad72 said:

I would have to think that by prioritizing families, they can maximize seating dollars and let them sit together and worry about social distancing for the next party. 

So, in other words, parties of one will have last priority. Parties of two or higher will get first priority since you could have 3 people sitting next to each other at the end and start with a gap of 2 seats after that and so on...

Yeah this makes total sense. Families don’t need to be socially distanced. 

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah this makes total sense. Families don’t need to be socially distanced. 

That is why they don't need to jump to conclusions about fixing a 25% capacity either. If they have a large number of families that will be signing waivers anyways, that want to sit next to each other, they might end up with 30-35% when it is all said and done. Start with it for 1 month and gradually add people willing to be on the waiting list for the next month and so on..

At least my two cents. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is why they don't need to jump to conclusions about fixing a 25% capacity either. If they have a large number of families that will be signing waivers anyways, that want to sit next to each other, they might end up with 30-35% when it is all said and done. Start with it for 1 month and gradually add people willing to be on the waiting list for the next month and so on..

At least my two cents. 

That’s a good point. I think they have to look at restrooms and concessions to though. Don’t want super long lines. They could give out colts masks or something. Kids under the age of say 10 should be exempt from masks. 

I'm sure most season ticket holders have more than one seat.  I have 5 myself.  Jacksonville is going to keep 6 feet between unaffiliated parties.  But even then I can't imagine that they'd count an affiliated group of 10 people as only 1 fan against the total amount they're going to let in.  

There is still time before the start of the season and if these cases keep rising, there may be no fans.  We just finished July 4 and then Labor Day will coming up.  

Just now, deedub75 said:

I'm sure most season ticket holders have more than one seat.  I have 5 myself.  Jacksonville is going to keep 6 feet between unaffiliated parties.  But even then I can't imagine that they'd count an affiliated group of 10 people as only 1 fan against the total amount they're going to let in.  

There is still time before the start of the season and if these cases keep rising, there may be no fans.  We just finished July 4 and then Labor Day will coming up.  

I think they can do this safely even with cases. Hopefully these 4 or 5 states will be through this by sept. All the other states seem to be under control pretty well. For some reason it took awhile for this to Wouk itself south. It’s been so hot they think people are inside more in air condition. 

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That’s a good point. I think they have to look at restrooms and concessions to though. Don’t want super long lines. They could give out colts masks or something. Kids under the age of say 10 should be exempt from masks. 

They are taking that into account in those numbers.  I read that concessions may have to be done on an app and you would have a set time to pick up your food so there won't be people congregating.  They also don't want lines of people trying to get in and out of the stadium.  

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

They are taking that into account in those numbers.  I read that concessions may have to be done on an app and you would have a set time to pick up your food so there won't be people congregating.  They also don't want lines of people trying to get in and out of the stadium.  

I would prefer it like Pizza King, where they have the little train with popcorn/concessions and drinks that arrives, just a more interesting vending machine with buttons to press on demand. :) Then, you have self cleaning buttons or someone to wipe it out. Just a thought??? 

Masks till you get to the seat, masks off while on the seat, masks on once you leave the seat, I think most will be OK with that. They need to mark escalator buttons (every other one) that can be stepped on.  Now, I am getting too ahead of myself. :) 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would prefer it like Pizza King, where they have the little train with popcorn/concessions and drinks that arrives, just a more interesting vending machine with buttons to press on demand. :) Then, you have self cleaning buttons or someone to wipe it out. Just a thought??? 

Masks till you get to the seat, masks off while on the seat, masks on once you leave the seat, I think most will be OK with that. They need to mark escalator buttons (every other one) that can be stepped on.  Now, I am getting too ahead of myself. :) 

This all makes sense. If your sitting with your family you should be able to take the mask off in your seat.

The concession APP thing makes good sense also. I am sure that would be easy to add to the colts APP. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

This all makes sense. If your sitting with your family you should be able to take the mask off in your seat.

The concession APP thing makes good sense also. I am sure that would be easy to add to the colts APP. 

If they are all family members that live together.  If not you might as well be at the big birthday party and spread it to grandma and grandpa.  

I wonder how many people would claim to be "family" anyway?

4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

If they are all family members that live together.  If not you might as well be at the big birthday party and spread it to grandma and grandpa.  

I wonder how many people would claim to be "family" anyway?

From my understanding, masks will be required at all times. Something else to think about is what happens if someone has 5 seats and sells all 5 to 5 different people?  

18 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

From my understanding, masks will be required at all times. Something else to think about is what happens if someone has 5 seats and sells all 5 to 5 different people?  

When tickets are being allocated in such limited fashion, I don’t think you should be able to resell it, to be honest. While you own it, this time the ownership is more privileged due to the limited nature, IMO

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

When tickets are being allocated in such limited fashion, I don’t think you should be able to resell it, to be honest. While you own it, this time the ownership is more privileged due to the limited nature, IMO

They would have to limit entry to the original purchaser then and check ID upon entry.  People wouldn't be able to give their tickets away either.  I believe they will be having electronic tickets only anyway.  

I will happily opt out of my tickets for a refund so others can go if they wish!

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

With the way the virus is spreading, I think football in 2020 is a huge long shot. Figuring out who sits where and by whom will become a meaningless task. 

That's certainly a possibility.  Not sure I'd be comfortable saying it's less than likely as of now, but in virus terms, we have a long way to go to week one....

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

I agree I'm all for it. 

Too dangerous for fans to sit next to each other, but they are going to have whole football teams on the field hitting each other. :woah:

I hope everyone stays safe! I agree, they need to have roofs open as much as possible. 

6 hours ago, CamMo said:

Too dangerous for fans to sit next to each other, but they are going to have whole football teams on the field hitting each other. :woah:

I hope everyone stays safe! I agree, they need to have roofs open as much as possible. 

They need to just skip the season.  Football players are human too.

7 hours ago, CamMo said:

its about the numbers, 22 players on the field isnt a lot but 70,000 in the stands is

33 minutes ago, CamMo said:

@Chloe6124 Testing doesn’t stop them from getting sick in the first place - which is my point.

There is a big difference. After they all get initially tested the chances of it spreading among players is low. With the amount of times they will be tested and the fact none are going to even get in the facility with even a slight cough until they are tested the chances of it spreading is pretty small. Yes initially there will be some. I don’t even believe there are all these asystematic  cases. I think there are a lot of false positives. Which is why the nfl has a different protocol for them.

50 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is a big difference. After they all get initially tested the chances of it spreading among players is low. With the amount of times they will be tested and the fact none are going to even get in the facility with even a slight cough until they are tested the chances of it spreading is pretty small. Yes initially there will be some. I don’t even believe there are all these asystematic  cases. I think there are a lot of false positives. Which is why the nfl has a different protocol for them.

Not trying to be argumentative but you simplifying this issue is not the reality of it all.

Not only are there 53 players plus 10 practice squad players (90 in training camp) there are how many others around a NFL team? Doctors, trainers, coaches, assistant coaches, coordinators and whoever else. Just the sheer space need to keep social distance is impossible. 

All of these people have families away from a locker room so it's not like they are going to be quarantined. 

How about the mental aspect of the players? Can the players put all of this out of their thought process when their mindset has to be 100% about the game itself?  We are always reminded about distractions in the locker room and how it can have a negative effect. 

IMO this goes much deeper than what can and can't be controlled. 

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

There are both false positives and negatives with these tests. Someone can test negative this morning and take the test this evening and test positive as well. The CDC just said that 40% of people with coronavirus are asymptomatic. There are also people who are presymptomatic. All of these people are shedding the virus. The players are going to go back to their friends and families. It only takes one player to go to a party or a bar to get infected and infect an entire team. Even if all the Colts players do the right things a player from another team could still infect them. Do you really think if Tom Brady has a sniffle right before a game he’s gonna report it to the team doctors and risk missing that game because he needs to get tested?  Temperature checks do nothing as NSAIDS can knock a fever under 100.4 degrees. 

The NBA is in a bubble and they are still worried and anyone entering the bubble had to get tested daily before entering the bubble. 

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not trying to be argumentative but you simplifying this issue is not the reality of it all.

Not only are there 53 players plus 10 practice squad players (90 in training camp) there are how many others around a NFL team? Doctors, trainers, coaches, assistant coaches, coordinators and whoever else. Just the sheer space need to keep social distance is impossible. 

All of these people have families away from a locker room so it's not like they are going to be quarantined. 

How about the mental aspect of the players? Can the players put all of this out of their thought process when their mindset has to be 100% about the game itself?  We are always reminded about distractions in the locker room and how it can have a negative effect. 

MLS is having all kinds of issues getting back to their games and I think they are in some sort of a bubble like the NBA.  Two teams have already withdrawn and a match for today has been postponed because of unconfirmed positive tests on one of the teams.  

Did you see that Indy Eleven is back to playing and they are in Lucas Oil?  I saw a report on the news inside the stadium and they said only groups of 4 are allowed and they are really spread out.  

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Agree.  It does go so much deeper than just testing.  There will be positive tests to start.  There will be positive tests in-season (should the season occur at all).  I will be shocked is some players start opting out of playing at all before they get to camp.  Some guys will not want to risk potentially everything just for their salary or our entertainment.  It is like the feds saying in-person school has to happen in August.  It so much more complicated than just that mandate.  

5 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Agree.  It does go so much deeper than just testing.  There will be positive tests to start.  There will be positive tests in-season (should the season occur at all).  I will be shocked is some players start opting out of playing at all before they get to camp.  Some guys will not want to risk potentially everything just for their salary or our entertainment.  It is like the feds saying in-person school has to happen in August.  It so much more complicated than just that mandate.  

Truth Reaction GIF by moodman

On 7/11/2020 at 9:53 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I don't think it'll be as small as you think.  Too many players, doctors, coaches and equipment personnel involved.   One infected person could spread it like fire. 

On 7/11/2020 at 11:18 PM, crazycolt1 said:

You know what, I never thought of that aspect. You hit the nail on the head on this front. We will see how it plays out. I want football but would understand if star players start opting out. 

To me, it is harder on the players on the bottom of the totem pole who have more to gain and prove, with the less established contracts. If I were the NFLPA, I would negotiate a little extra for the bottom 10% because they'd be taking greater risks, IMO.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It has happened at Fishers HS and now Terre Haute South

I think it is incredibly stupid for high schools to be letting sports resume.  So arrogant.  If my kid played and wasn't likely to get a college scholarship, there is no way I would let him play.  

Archived