Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[PFF] 2020 NFL Offensive Line Rankings: Colts no. 1

stitches

Here's the link to the podcast(Colts OLine part starts at about  9:45):

And here's the accompanying article: 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

The part about the Colts:

1. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Last year’s No. 3 offensive line remains intact for 2020 and is primed to repeat as one of the league’s best. The only question mark coming into the offseason was left tackle Anthony Castonzo, but he re-signed for two years to solidify the Colts’ continued success up front. Castonzo is one of the more underrated players in the league, grading between 76.9 and 84.2 in each season since 2012. Castonzo’s 81.3 overall grade last season tied for seventh in the league, as he ranked in the top 16 as both a pass blocker and a run blocker. At right tackle, Braden Smith has made a rare transition from college guard to NFL tackle, and he’s been fantastic in his first two years in the league. He finished No. 9 overall among tackles last season, including the No. 4 mark as a run blocker.

At left guard, Quenton Nelson is among the best guards in the league and is already making his mark as one of the top overall players in the NFL after two outstanding seasons to start his career. Nelson had the No. 2 run-blocking grade and the No. 7 pass-blocking grade in 2019, as his combination of power, quickness and technique have him on a Hall-of-Fame path despite entering just his third NFL season. On the other side, right guard Mark Glowinski has come on strong over the past two years, but he’s a far better run blocker than pass blocker. He gave up 42 pressures during the regular season in 2019, the fourth-most in the league.

Center Ryan Kelly ranked eighth at the position last season with a 73.0 overall grade, giving the Colts four out of five starters ranking in the top 10 at their respective positions. With all five starters returning, Indianapolis will be in the running to rank as the league’s best offensive line.

16 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Got into an argument the other day with a Saints fan that’s Olines aren’t important. 

Okay. 

That’s funny...   PFF rates the Saints OL as second best in the NFL.  I wonder if he even knows how good they are?   

I say it again - it may take a little time for Philip to build confidence in the additional time he'll have in the pocket, so he's able to show the kind of downfield accuracy and timing that he hasn't had the opportunity to show in over a decade now. He used to be so outstanding at that, and that was with just average offensive lines, too. But it's been a decade now of having to unload the ball so fast just to keep from getting sacked that it's bound to take some time for him to trust that he's got enough time now to let the downfield plays fully develop before he has to let the ball go.

I mean, ha ha, he's going from the league's worst line to it's best. Seriously, that's got to be a real eye opener for him.

2 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I say it again - it may take a little time for Philip to build confidence in the additional time he'll have in the pocket, so he's able to show the kind of downfield accuracy and timing that he hasn't had the opportunity to show in over a decade now. He used to be so outstanding at that, and that was with just average offensive lines, too. But it's been a decade now of having to unload the ball so fast just to keep from getting sacked that it's bound to take some time for him to trust that he's got enough time now to let the downfield plays fully develop before he has to let the ball go.

I mean, ha ha, he's going from the league's worst line to it's best. Seriously, that's got to be a real eye opener for him.

He was good in 2018, so it hasn't been that long. He was #6 in deep ball completion %, and was #4 in overall accuracy if you're looking at advanced stats.

14 hours ago, csmopar said:

Wow. a far cry from where we were just 3 seasons ago. 

Ballard did it.  Traded down a couple spots and picked up Nelson and Smith which turned the line around.  

I don't break down game film so I am a bit unsure, but maybe you folks can answer this.   Knowing that a great O-line offers the coaches extra options, does Reich know how to use it to it's fullest?   Of course it was hard to tell with JB at the helm.  I think he had a good O-line in Philly, right?   

Archived