Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The big questions of the 2020 season


Recommended Posts

While the colts have had a number of good additions for the 2020 colts team, there are still a number of questions that might not even be answered this year.

 

Who will be the future of the colts QB

 

I have stayed on the side that was against signing Rivers. I can understand why the colts did it with the lack of an off-season most likely being a strong reason behind it, however I'm concerned if this does become a multiple year thing with Rivers. Don't get me wrong, I will root for Rivers, however I can not see him being the reason the colts will win this year. I think the run game and defense will be the driving force which is leaving me to wonder who will be the future franchise QB.

 

2021 free agents

 

While I know we are projected to have another large cap for 2021, we have 8 starters in 2020 hitting the market. Also big contracts looming for Leonard, Smith, and possibly Turay.

 

Oline depth

 

This truly scares me as I am not confident the line can hold up if anyone gets hurt especially with Rivers as the QB. Clark, O'Donnell, Patterson, Green, Eldrenkamp, and Pinter will most likely be the depth and that does not make me excited. Pinter and O'Donnell are rookies, Patterson is basically a rookie, and Clark has never proven to be a viable option.

 

Our young pass rushers

 

The colts not re-signing Sheard tells me the colts wanna see what they have in Turay and Benogu. Lewis imo will be traded. I just don't think the colts see him as part of the future. I think Turay and Benogu have shown very good potential and the colts have also added Kendall Coleman who can be a sneaky good pass rusher depth. Autry has been mentioned as moving to DE which I can see, however I'm not sure how well he could set that edge.

 

Leonard, Moore, and Buckner

 

I will start by saying that is three great players to run the cover 2, however what I'm wondering is how much different of an approach we will take when it comes to running our defense now. I feel with the talent we have on the dline now, we can actually play more man and put it on our dline to get home. I feel corner has more questions which is why I'd rather we put it on our dline to help the secondary.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CR91 said:

While the colts have had a number of good additions for the 2020 colts team, there are still a number of questions that might not even be answered this year.

 

Who will be the future of the colts QB

 

I have stayed on the side that was against signing Rivers. I can understand why the colts did it with the lack of an off-season most likely being a strong reason behind it, however I'm concerned if this does become a multiple year thing with Rivers. Don't get me wrong, I will root for Rivers, however I can not see him being the reason the colts will win this year. I think the run game and defense will be the driving force which is leaving me to wonder who will be the future franchise QB.

 

2021 free agents

 

While I know we are projected to have another large cap for 2021, we have 8 starters in 2020 hitting the market. Also big contracts looming for Leonard, Smith, and possibly Turay.

 

Oline depth

 

This truly scares me as I am not confident the line can hold up if anyone gets hurt especially with Rivers as the QB. Clark, O'Donnell, Patterson, Green, Eldrenkamp, and Pinter will most likely be the depth and that does not make me excited. Pinter and O'Donnell are rookies, Patterson is basically a rookie, and Clark has never proven to be a viable option.

 

Our young pass rushers

 

The colts not re-signing Sheard tells me the colts wanna see what they have in Turay and Benogu. Lewis imo will be traded. I just don't think the colts see him as part of the future. I think Turay and Benogu have shown very good potential and the colts have also added Kendall Coleman who can be a sneaky good pass rusher depth. Autry has been mentioned as moving to DE which I can see, however I'm not sure how well he could set that edge.

 

Leonard, Moore, and Buckner

 

I will start by saying that is three great players to run the cover 2, however what I'm wondering is how much different of an approach we will take when it comes to running our defense now. I feel with the talent we have on the dline now, we can actually play more man and put it on our dline to get home. I feel corner has more questions which is why I'd rather we put it on our dline to help the secondary.

 

 

To add to this:

 

Which WR will break out this year?

 

We have Hilton who may or may not stay healthy and start to begin to decline, so lets look at everyone else. Pittman seems pro-ready already. He's a 6'4 receiver who fits favorably with Rivers and can win 50/50 balls while dominating in the end zone. He'll be very important. Parris Campbell should be healthy this year. He's our HR threat. Can break any catch for a TD. I believe he can be a good slot receiver for us. Zach Pascal has shown glimpses even with Brissett, so I have confidence in him as a no4. Guys like Fountain and Patmon have potential as well and we will probably keep all 6. IMO, Pittman and Pascal are the safe options to take a step forward with Rivers while Campbell is the high ceiling player with a lower floor. Any breakout from Fountain and/or Patmon would be a bonus.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

To add to this:

 

Which WR will break out this year?

 

We have Hilton who may or may not stay healthy and start to begin to decline, so lets look at everyone else. Pittman seems pro-ready already. He's a 6'4 receiver who fits favorably with Rivers and can win 50/50 balls while dominating in the end zone. He'll be very important. Parris Campbell should be healthy this year. He's our HR threat. Can break any catch for a TD. I believe he can be a good slot receiver for us. Zach Pascal has shown glimpses even with Brissett, so I have confidence in him as a no4. Guys like Fountain and Patmon have potential as well and we will probably keep all 6. IMO, Pittman and Pascal are the safe options to take a step forward with Rivers while Campbell is the high ceiling player with a lower floor. Any breakout from Fountain and/or Patmon would be a bonus.

It’s rare for rookie WR to produce historically.  Last year it wasn’t.  Is that part of a trend or anomaly? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna be tough this year for all rookies given the lack of work they've been allowed to have with the staff, etc. Pittman and Taylor are the picks to click if there are any breakout newbies. I like Patmon but I figure he's destined for the PS this year. So... I expect a more historical-type year for the rookies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will there be any fans allowed and will there even be a season...if so when?..    Look no further then FL, think anyone would want to go there to play, player wise?  Lots of NBA opting out.....  :hissy:

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It’s rare for rookie WR to produce historically.  Last year it wasn’t.  Is that part of a trend or anomaly? 

Last year was a very good WR class, this year is somewhat similar. Pittman is a great scheme fit with Rivers, so I expect a lot of production. He'll be used everywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Philip Rivers and the passing offense, and our pass rush are my 2 biggest question marks/key factors for this year. If either of them click, we are a division contender. If both click, we are an AFC contender.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be a strange season. First time I can remember in forever I'm not really excited about football returning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Will there be any fans allowed and will there even be a season...if so when?..    Look no further then FL, think anyone would want to go there to play, player wise?  Lots of NBA opting out.....  :hissy:

I doubt it.  NY has already banned fans in attendance for all professional football games in the state as well as tailgating.  And NY has done a great job on bringing the virus cases down.  With the resurgence of the virus in so many states it's clear that the season is in jeopardy if it wasn't already.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont think any team has really great depth on the oLine, colts are about as good as it gets in the league now

 

the future QB is really anyone's guess.  if i had to guess now id say Rivers for another year after this one and no idea after that.  could be rivers again, eason, new rookie, aaron rogers might be available... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I doubt it.  NY has already banned fans in attendance for all professional football games in the state as well as tailgating.  And NY has done a great job on bringing the virus cases down.  With the resurgence of the virus in so many states it's clear that the season is in jeopardy if it wasn't already.  

Personally I am not getting my hopes up or getting too excited for this season. I highly doubt there will be a season. 

If there is one how will it effect the players? How can the players mentally get into the season with the virus hanging over every aspect of the game? 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 8:45 PM, Luck2Hilton4TD said:

 

 

I'm being copied. I should sue haha

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really like Patmon and think him and Pittman can be twin towers for years to come. Im the biggest Taylor fan there is, watched many Wisconsin games just to see him run he can do it all, best 3 year total in NCAA history and last year proved he could catch out of the backfield after doing little of it as a fresh and soph. Behind our O Line, he will light up the league.

 

My biggest question is TE, I like Doyle he is solid though not explosive, hope Trey Burton is healthy. M.A.C. disappointed last year , yes some blame to Jacoby but he didnt show me what I was hoping. Can Farrod Green make a difference, Im not convinced but hopeful. Thought we would invest in a TE in the draft and we didnt.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2020 at 1:16 AM, CR91 said:

While the colts have had a number of good additions for the 2020 colts team, there are still a number of questions that might not even be answered this year.

 

Who will be the future of the colts QB

 

I have stayed on the side that was against signing Rivers. I can understand why the colts did it with the lack of an off-season most likely being a strong reason behind it, however I'm concerned if this does become a multiple year thing with Rivers. Don't get me wrong, I will root for Rivers, however I can not see him being the reason the colts will win this year. I think the run game and defense will be the driving force which is leaving me to wonder who will be the future franchise QB.

 

2021 free agents

 

While I know we are projected to have another large cap for 2021, we have 8 starters in 2020 hitting the market. Also big contracts looming for Leonard, Smith, and possibly Turay.

 

Oline depth

 

This truly scares me as I am not confident the line can hold up if anyone gets hurt especially with Rivers as the QB. Clark, O'Donnell, Patterson, Green, Eldrenkamp, and Pinter will most likely be the depth and that does not make me excited. Pinter and O'Donnell are rookies, Patterson is basically a rookie, and Clark has never proven to be a viable option.

 

Our young pass rushers

 

The colts not re-signing Sheard tells me the colts wanna see what they have in Turay and Benogu. Lewis imo will be traded. I just don't think the colts see him as part of the future. I think Turay and Benogu have shown very good potential and the colts have also added Kendall Coleman who can be a sneaky good pass rusher depth. Autry has been mentioned as moving to DE which I can see, however I'm not sure how well he could set that edge.

 

Leonard, Moore, and Buckner

 

I will start by saying that is three great players to run the cover 2, however what I'm wondering is how much different of an approach we will take when it comes to running our defense now. I feel with the talent we have on the dline now, we can actually play more man and put it on our dline to get home. I feel corner has more questions which is why I'd rather we put it on our dline to help the secondary.

 

 

great write up

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2020 at 10:09 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I am not getting my hopes up or getting too excited for this season. I highly doubt there will be a season. 

If there is one how will it effect the players? How can the players mentally get into the season with the virus hanging over every aspect of the game? 

 

I would tend to agree

 

There is significant $$ moving around so I believe there will be a season of some sort.... maybe shortened.....

 

I think the NFL union may hold the players back from competing until there is a resolution or some protection.

 

We are seeing a crazy jump in new cases in Texas. (My daughter just tested positive :(  she is ok now)    If we are in mid August and the new cases in Covid starts to drop AND the death rates are dropping we may see a season.....

 

If not..... we may see a start in Oct......

 

Who knows....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2020 at 8:37 AM, IinD said:

This is going to be a strange season. First time I can remember in forever I'm not really excited about football returning.

Its funny you say that.... I feel the same......

 

Strange times......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would tend to agree

 

There is significant $$ moving around so I believe there will be a season of some sort.... maybe shortened.....

 

I think the NFL union may hold the players back from competing until there is a resolution or some protection.

 

We are seeing a crazy jump in new cases in Texas. (My daughter just tested positive :(  she is ok now)    If we are in mid August and the new cases in Covid starts to drop AND the death rates are dropping we may see a season.....

 

If not..... we may see a start in Oct......

 

Who knows....

 

 

Getting that feeling too.  I think they should have gone the route of the NBA and quarantined everybody in one place.  Nobody in or out, frequent testing, etc.  With players being able to come and go as they please, bigger locker rooms, close contact, etc. I don't see any season making it too far unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 3:42 PM, throwing BBZ said:

  We do not need a BLM NFL season.

  Let the players take a season off to work on their issues. 

:lol: ….. wait what does this post even mean?

Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest question is Marvell Tell! This guy was very impressive and I feel like I'm not hearing much of his name. I really wonder what role he'll take on and what opportunities he'll get! If Rhodes is slacking, does he come in on the outside? Or is that Carrie?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

My biggest question is Marvell Tell! This guy was very impressive and I feel like I'm not hearing much of his name. I really wonder what role he'll take on and what opportunities he'll get! If Rhodes is slacking, does he come in on the outside? Or is that Carrie?

Heard he is battling to start outside with Rock and Rhodes . Gonna be a great competition in camp assuming there is one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...