Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
GoColts8818

Colts history of WRs

I am watching a Peyton’s places marathon on ABC and they are doing one Raymond Berry.  

Much has been made about the Colts history of QBs with Johnny U and Peyton Manning leading the way but I think they might have had more great WRs in the history if the NFL than any other team with Berry, Harrison, Wayne, and now Hilton trying to join them.  Either way the Colts history at WR has been over shadow by QBs so I just wanted to shine some light on it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am watching a Peyton’s places marathon on ABC and they are doing one Raymond Berry.  

Much has been made about the Colts history of QBs with Johnny U and Peyton Manning leading the way but I think they might have had more great WRs in the history if the NFL than any other team with Berry, Harrison, Wayne, and now Hilton trying to join them.  Either way the Colts history at WR has been over shadow by QBs so I just wanted to shine some light on it.

I agree, some darn great TE's too in Mackey and Clark.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, some darn great TE's too in Mackey and Clark.

Parks And Recreation Donna GIF
  Mr. Dilger needs to be mentioned 

• Haha 1

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Parks And Recreation Donna GIF
  Mr. Dilger needs to be mentioned 

Right after I posted that I thought of you haha . Dilger was great too.

• Haha 1

What about Dewayne Allen and Coby Fleenor....:peek:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One WR that hasn't been mentioned is Bill Brooks, he was good.

Appreciated him and he’s probably number five on that list but that gap between him and the other four is pretty big and that’s not a shot at Bill Brooks as much as it’s a credit to the the four.

• Like 1

Don't forget Raymond Chester, Roger Carr, Willie Richardson,  Roy Jefferson and of course Raymond Berry

. Colts had great clutch receivers in Jimmy Orr and Ray Perkins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2020 at 8:57 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Appreciated him and he’s probably number five on that list but that gap between him and the other four is pretty big and that’s not a shot at Bill Brooks as much as it’s a credit to the the four.

Bill was very good.  He did suffer from some bad passing offenses.

On 7/5/2020 at 4:08 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I don't agree.  Now the cream at the top is great, but there is a huge drop off to the next level.  I think most teams have as good or better WR history.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/career-receiving.htm

The St. Louis Rams had a couple of great WRs with Holt 1999-2008 and Bruce 1994-2007. Kind of hard to beat those two at the same time. Add Faulk 1999-2005 as he was maybe the best RB receiver in history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The St. Louis Rams had a couple of great WRs with Holt 1999-2008 and Bruce 1994-2007. Kind of hard to beat those two at the same time. Add Faulk 1999-2005 as he was maybe the best RB receiver in history. 

Wayne and Harrison were just as good.

25 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Wayne and Harrison were just as good.

Where did I say they were? 

Harrison and Wayne were 9th and 10th in career yards while Bruce was 5th.

Harrison was 5th in TDs while Wayne was 24th. Bruce was 12th. 

So it's debatable. 

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Where did I say they were? 

Harrison and Wayne were 9th and 10th in career yards while Bruce was 5th.

Harrison was 5th in TDs while Wayne was 24th. Bruce was 12th. 

So it's debatable. 

I didn’t say you did.  I said they were.

Marvin is fifth in career catches and Wayne is 10th.  Bruce is 13th and Holt doesn’t make the top 13.  

Holt is 16th in career yards and 36th in TDs.  

So Harrison tops Bruce in catches and TDs while Bruce has the edge in yards.  I think TDs and catches are much more important than yards. Wayne tops Holt in everything and tops Bruce in catches.  

As a duo give me Harrison and Wayne.

Moss and Carter is another good duo although it was short lived and the Steelers had Stallworth and Swann.  Those are the best sets I can come up with.  

The Steelers have been good at producing stud WRs as a franchise but I am not sure I would take them over Harrison and Berry who are probably two of the top 10 WRs to ever play the game and Wayne who is also probably going to end up a Hall of Famer.  

Duper and Clayton were a pretty good duo that get overlooked. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Marvin is fifth in career catches and Wayne is 10th.  Bruce is 13th and Holt doesn’t make the top 13.  

So Harrison tops Bruce in catches and TDs while Bruce has the edge in yards.  I think TDs and catches are much more important than yards. Wayne tops Holt in everything and tops Bruce in catches.  

Moss and Carter is another good duo although it was short lived and the Steelers had Stallworth and Swann.  Those are the best sets I can come up with.  

The Steelers have been good at producing stud WRs as a franchise but I am not sure I would take them over Harrison and Berry who are probably two of the top 10 WRs to ever play the game and Wayne who is also probably going to end up a Hall of Famer.  

When you take into consideration what Faulk did along with Bruce and Holt those may have been the best three headed combo in history. 

The one receiver that was as good as Rice was Tim Brown. He just didn't play his career with QBs Montana and Young. He was just as talented. 

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think Wayne and Harrison easily put the Colts into contention for best 2 WR's ever, but as you go down the list, I think the Colts lose ground.  The Steelers would have an argument  for best WR's overall over the Colts.

Hines Ward

Antonio Brown

Lynn Swan

John Stallworth

Heath Miller

Loui Lipps

Plaxico Burress

Mike Wallace and others.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Duper and Clayton were a pretty good duo that get overlooked. 

Passing eras were different then and they definitely should be looked at closer and given more credit, IMO. 

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

When you take into consideration what Faulk did along with Bruce and Holt those may have been the best three headed combo in history. 

The one receiver that was as good as Rice was Tim Brown. He just didn't play his career with QBs Montana and Young. He was just as talented. 

Faulk wasn’t a WR and if we are talking about WRs he doesn’t factor into that.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Faulk wasn’t a WR and if we are talking about WRs he doesn’t factor into that.

So we should remove all RB's and TE's.   That's fair.

I'm still not sure the Colts would be tops, but Marvin and Reggie put them in the discussion.

"they might have had more great WRs in the history if the NFL than any other team"

• Like 1

There are a lot of great WRs in the area of Harrison and Wayne and Brooks, etc throughout the NFL, especially if you go back to the Raymond Berry era.  How about Rice and Taylor with the 49ers, just to name others.

Colts don't register on the scale compared to some other clubs, IMO.  Outside of Harrison and Wayne, our WRs have been pretty bad.  And don't forget that both Harrison and Wayne were first round draft choices, so there is a reason why they stand out.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

So we should remove all RB's and TE's.   That's fair.

I'm still not sure the Colts would be tops, but Marvin and Reggie put them in the discussion.

Maybe but as others have pointed out the Colts have a history of great WRs beyond Marvin and Reggie.  Berry being the most noticeable.  I am not sure if another franchise can say they had two of the top 10 all-time like the Colts had with Berry and Marvin.  Still the Steelers make a very strong argument.  

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

There are a lot of great WRs in the area of Harrison and Wayne and Brooks, etc throughout the NFL, especially if you go back to the Raymond Berry era.  How about Rice and Taylor with the 49ers, just to name others.

Colts don't register on the scale compared to some other clubs, IMO.  Outside of Harrison and Wayne, our WRs have been pretty bad.  And don't forget that both Harrison and Wayne were first round draft choices, so there is a reason why they stand out.

A lot of first round wrs flopped hard.    Like Phillip Dorestt for example

On 7/8/2020 at 4:48 PM, landrus13 said:

I haven't seen a mention of Brandon Stokely.

He was a class act.

WR has been pretty stacked for nearly the entire Manning era. Andrew Luck unfortunately didn't have anything close to what PM had, but so far on paper Philip Rivers seems to have lucked out and has himself at least 4 quality WR's this season.

There have been a lot of great receiver duos, trios, corps across the league throughout it's history. Pearson, Hill, Johnson and Dupree in Dallas. Branch, Biletnikoff and Casper in Oakland. Swann, Stallworth, Smith, Cunningham and Grossman in Pittsburgh. Joiner, Jefferson, Chandler and Winslow in San Diego. Clark followed immediately by Rice and then Taylor, with Francis followed by Frank at tight end in San Fran. Irvin, Harper, Novacek and others in Dallas. Peyton's "2nd Chance" group of Thomas, Welker, Thomas and Sanders in Denver. Lots of others. Indy certainly ranks with anyone, though.