Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Believes Colts Road Grading OG Quenton Nelson Could Become the NFL’s Best Overall Player Soon


Recommended Posts

Oh and so many we’re upset we drafted him. Lol broncos can keep Chubb. Not only has nelson’s Play changed the colts oline, his attitude and leadership had been contagious 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Oh and so many we’re upset we drafted him. Lol broncos can keep Chubb. Not only has nelson’s Play changed the colts oline, his attitude and leadership had been contagious 

If the Colts would have drafted Chubb, they would have had to not trade with the Jets and so they would not have Nelson, Smith, Turray, Wilkins and Rock.   Not only did they get the better player, but they also got other good/great players.   

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

But but but he's a guard!  LOL

 

Seriously though, IMHO he's the Aaron Donald of offensive lines.  He's a game-wrecker.  I would LOVE to see those two go at it.  I'm sure he'd lose some, but I'm sure he'd win his share too.

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Not only has nelson’s Play changed the colts oline, his attitude and leadership had been contagious 

I mean yeah.... That is literally how he changed the entire Offensive Line....

 

It's just that he's so good we'll never be able to state it enough times.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked back at all the players that were drafted in 2018 and Nelson perhaps is the 2nd best player in that draft. Lamar Jackson is only clearly the better pick and he went 32nd lol. Barkley was a solid pick as well but right now I like Nelson slightly better and I think Barkley will be an NFL great. In that same draft QB's Mayfield went #1 and Darnold #3 were in the top 3, no thanks to either one of them. Chubb went 5th, I would rather have Nelson who went 6th. Ballard's best draft pick by far. In that same draft we also picked Leonard, who looking back on it now should've went top 5 but hindsight is a strong thing :thmup:. Ballard basically got two top 5 talents at #6 and the other in the 2nd round lmao 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just looked back at all the players that were drafted in 2018 and Nelson perhaps is the 2nd best player in that draft. Lamar Jackson is only clearly the better pick and he went 32nd lol. Barkley was a solid pick as well but right now I like Nelson slightly better and I think Barkley will be an NFL great. In that same draft QB's Mayfield went #1 and Darnold #3 were in the top 3, no thanks to either one of them. Chubb went 5th, I would rather have Nelson who went 6th. Ballard's best draft pick by far. In that same draft we also picked Leonard, who looking back on it now should've went top 5 but hindsight is a strong thing :thmup:. Ballard basically got two top 5 talents at #6 and the other in the 2nd round lmao 

I also think Smith may prove to be a top 5 tackle in the league who can also play his natural position of guard.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is hindsight but here is how the top 5 in the draft should've went in 2018:

1. Lamar Jackson (QB) - Browns would've had him instead of Mayfield.

 

2. Quenton Nelson (OG) - Giants could've used him badly actually.

 

3. Saquon Barkley (RB) - Jets would've had him instead of Darnold, they could've drafted a QB in 2019 or last year.

 

4. Minkah Fitzpatrick (FS) - Browns needed secondary help, this guy is very good. He has made a pro-bowl already. They did take Denzel Ward who plays CB and Denzel is good. I think Fitzpatrick is better though and has played in all 32 games in his career but they do play a different position.

 

5. Josh Allen (QB) - Broncos have needed a QB since Peyton Manning left, Allen so far is proven to be the 2nd best QB in that draft. He is above average at worse.

 

6. Darius Leonard (LB) - Colts, should've went here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is hindsight but here is how the top 5 in the draft should've went in 2018:

1. Lamar Jackson (QB) - Browns would've had him instead of Mayfield.

 

2. Quenton Nelson (OG) - Giants could've used him badly actually.

 

3. Saquon Barkley (RB) - Jets would've had him instead of Darnold, they could've drafted a QB in 2019 or last year.

 

4. Minkah Fitzpatrick (FS) - Browns needed secondary help, this guy is very good. He has made a pro-bowl already. They did take Denzel Ward who plays CB and Denzel is good. I think Fitzpatrick is better though and has played in all 32 games in his career but they do play a different position.

 

5. Josh Allen (QB) - Broncos have needed a QB since Peyton Manning left, Allen so far is proven to be the 2nd best QB in that draft. He is above average at worse.

 

6. Darius Leonard (LB) - Colts, should've went here.

I would've had Leonard at #5 but the Broncos huge need was a QB and Allen is above average to good. If the Broncos would've known Allen could lead the Bills of all teams to the playoffs, they would've took him IMO. We still would've got Leonard in a re-do which is funny. No Nelson though. If the Giants knew how dominant Nelson was going to be they would've drafted him. He controls the whole O.Line and gives his Line an attitude.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Don't worry, rivers will fix that quickly.

Yeah last I looked Brissett has a much faster release than Rivers does :funny:. Rivers has a quicker release than what Luck had even. I doubt he gets sacked much at all with the O.Line we have.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah last I looked Brissett has a much faster release than Rivers does :funny:. Rivers has a quicker release than what Luck had even. I doubt he gets sacked much at all with the O.Line we have.

Yup. Rivers should be upright more than last year. He was only sacked 34 times (16th in the NFL) last year with the 29th ranked OL. If he can be average in terms of sacks with one of the worst OLs, he'll be fine with easily a top 5 OL. JB was only sacked 27 times (tied for 23rd) with his high TTT, and struggles with reading Ds. I wouldn't be shocked if Rivers was sacked 20 or fewer times.

 

As far as time to throw goes.

Brissett 2.93 (31st), 2.89 in 2017

Rivers 2.63 (#5 lowest), 2.62 in 2018

Luck 2.63 in 2018, 2.88 in 2016

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Don't worry, rivers will fix that quickly.

 

I'm not a fan of Rivers either, but he's always been known to get the ball out quick. He's not gonna hold on to it long like Brissett

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 7:25 PM, shasta519 said:

“Highest graded” NFL player by PFF? Perhaps...and deservedly so.

 

“Best overall player” in the NFL? No. 



 

was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it.  pff does tend to over hype their own grading system sometimes. fantastic player but he doesnt impact the game as much as a top qb 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now........I heard a question posed the other day on local radio.  Asked if anybody on the Colts was worth the 10-year contract Mahomes just got.  I immediately thought NO.  I will say that IF anybody on this team would be the closest though, I think it would be Nelson.  But no way in heck I'm giving ANYBODY on this team 10 years.  In fact, I'm having trouble thinking of any other player in the NFL I'd give it to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 7:26 AM, Myles said:

If the Colts would have drafted Chubb, they would have had to not trade with the Jets and so they would not have Nelson, Smith, Turray, Wilkins and Rock.   Not only did they get the better player, but they also got other good/great players.   

I think when Ballard made the trade with the Jets, he knew he was getting either Nelson or Chubb, & was going to be fine with whichever one Denver didn't take.  I think we're all glad it was Nelson.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, smittywerb said:

The uproar when this dude when drafted...

Yeah I know.  And the Colts could have been wrong, it happens.  But when multiple scouts say he was the best player regardless of position and was the safest pick in the entire draft, you couldn't fault the Colts for taking him (and moving back and adding picks in the process of course).  Thank goodness those scouts and the Colts were right.  He has totally changed the complexion of the OL.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 7:26 AM, Myles said:

If the Colts would have drafted Chubb, they would have had to not trade with the Jets and so they would not have Nelson, Smith, Turray, Wilkins and Rock.   Not only did they get the better player, but they also got other good/great players.   

Yeah, you don't see the Ballard distractors when we talk about this do we. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 7:26 AM, Myles said:

If the Colts would have drafted Chubb, they would have had to not trade with the Jets and so they would not have Nelson, Smith, Turray, Wilkins and Rock.   Not only did they get the better player, but they also got other good/great players.   

The genius of Ballard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 7:43 AM, AZColt11 said:

But but but he's a guard!  LOL

 

Seriously though, IMHO he's the Aaron Donald of offensive lines.  He's a game-wrecker.  I would LOVE to see those two go at it.  I'm sure he'd lose some, but I'm sure he'd win his share too.

 

 

Hmmmmmm.......lets c if u have that same enthusiasm when he is up for his 2nd contract.  He is going to want a huge payday and I am not sure I would pay a guard the kind of money he will b seeking.Plus he got owned by Simmons and Hayward last year

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmmmm.......lets c if u have that same enthusiasm when he is up for his 2nd contract.  He is going to want a huge payday and I am not sure I would pay a guard the kind of money he will b seeking.Plus he got owned by Simmons and Hayward last year

You know, at least when I whine and moan about a player, it's about someone that's actually garbage like Brissett. You complain about literally the best player on the team getting paid because he's a Guard. He hasn't allowed a sacks for 30 games. Since week 2 of his rookie season. So get the heck out of there with that trash. He's going to be an all-pro every year of his career and he's already the top Guard in the NFL.

 

You couldn't of picked a worse player on the Colts to say you might not pay. I don't give a crap if two random people out of 16 games did ok against him. Again, take that garbage elsewhere.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmmmm.......lets c if u have that same enthusiasm when he is up for his 2nd contract.  He is going to want a huge payday and I am not sure I would pay a guard the kind of money he will b seeking.Plus he got owned by Simmons and Hayward last year

 

Peyton threw 6 picks in one game. Are you gonna say he sucks?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmmmm.......lets c if u have that same enthusiasm when he is up for his 2nd contract.  He is going to want a huge payday and I am not sure I would pay a guard the kind of money he will b seeking.Plus he got owned by Simmons and Hayward last year

Within reason of course I assure you I won't mind.  He's the best guard in the NFL, so if he gets say 10% above the next guy in line, then I have no problem with that, especially at the age of 24.  If he is looking for like 50% more or something like that, then no I won't like that.  But I think both he and Ballard are too smart to play that game.

 

After this year or next at the latest, it's likely the Colts will have a QB playing on a rookie deal, whether that's Eason or another draftee.  That will ease cap concerns for 4-5 years at that point.  Again, Ballard is smart enough to notice this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I would strongly consider signing FA safety Eric Reid.   Than we need to see about focusing on LT, TEs, and DEs for next season.  Worse case may have to see how the Cardinals are using Kelvin Beachum and offer a trade if we end up losing AC early mid-trade season.  Other potential upcoming FA's may look more into would be TB Bucs WR Chris Godwin, TE Gerald Everett, and DE Trent Murphy.     I realized we just paid Kelly at center but oft-injured game-time availability has me wondering how our backup would do.  Am looking at Centers Daniel Kilgore (KC), Evan Brown (Browns) or Josh Andrews (Jets) as potential backup targets.    As for the 2021 draft my early LT target to keep an eye on is Jackson Carman from Clemson in Round 1.  Again I am high on S Hamsah Nasirildeen (Florida St) who went back to school but should still be a first rounder.  TE Pat Freiermuth (Penn St) has me intrigued.  As for DEs had Edge Patrick Jones II (Pitttsburgh) on my wish list in Round 2.  Hilton's age on the end of his career had me looking at WR Nico Collins (Michigan) in Round 3.  Collins has solid hands and no history of drops.
    • I’ve found my new favorite way to watch a game.  Really gives you an idea of what's happening.    You can see play design, who’s out of position, who missed a block, who fell down, even who’s pickin their nose or scratchin their butt. All 22 on the field so you miss nothing.   I especially like to see the blocking bubbles grow or collapse on the line.   I just cant say how much i’m gaining from this.  Each play is run twice...once from sideline (all 22), then from endzone (all 22).  Great to see the plays develop, or a defender fly across the field to a tackle.   No sound, so i will still watch normally first (or radio sometimes for drama), but if anyone never checked it out..... you must!  I cant believe i waited this long.  I have such a better idea of what we’re trying to do and who looks good or bad on EVERY play.   Also, i feel better about last week after watching for some odd reason.  I kept finding myself saying “oh, thats why that happened.”   The normal perspective is such a focused frame , usually on the ball.  We’re missing all the little battles going on in the periphery.
    • Well the misconception was the Jags were going to tank this season. No one told them that.  Your sky is falling opinion is way too pre mature. 
    • My questions are can he find the crack and what will he do mean the crack ain’t there.  Wisconsin doesn’t do cracks, they block chasms against the cornfield circuit.
    • Many die hard colt fans are sugar coating this loss as they want to believe so hard that this was a fluke or lol actually believing the Jags are a good team!  After the Jags just unloaded ALL their probowl talent, you think the roster is loaded?  If their loaded, what do you call this colts roster?  I think the Colts overlooked their opponent even know they haven't won there since a grip.
  • Members

    • Aces101

      Aces101 122

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...