Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
coltsfeva

Good breakdown of Pittman

Recommended Posts

Positives:

Good “jumpball” ability

Good blocker

Good hands

Good football IQ

 

Negatives:

Lacks elite speed 

Lacks explosiveness 

Needs to improve route running
 

I remember Polian emphasizing what they (back then) looked for in a WR (and I don’t think it’s changed)

Soft hands

Football IQ

Ability to make adjustments when play breaks down

 

I wonder how much the Rivers signing had to do with the Pittman selection?

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Positives:

Good “jumpball” ability

Good blocker

Good hands

Good football IQ

 

Negatives:

Lacks elite speed 

Lacks explosiveness 

Needs to improve route running
 

I remember Polian emphasizing what they (back then) looked for in a WR (and I don’t think it’s changed)

Soft hands

Football IQ

Ability to make adjustments when play breaks down

 

I wonder how much the Rivers signing had to do with the Pittman selection?

 

 

I imagine Rivers played a part in it. But we’ve also been looking for the next Reggie Wayne since he left. I think Pittman could, and I emphasize could, be that guy in the future. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, the "good hands" piece is key

 

Reggie Wayne developed an amazing route running ability.

 

If Pittman can develop that part of his game, to go with the rest of his attributes, we may have something

 

I look forward seeing what the kid can do

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I imagine Rivers played a part in it. But we’ve also been looking for the next Reggie Wayne since he left. I think Pittman could, and I emphasize could, be that guy in the future. 

Personally I don't think Rivers had much at all to do with Ballard drafting Pittman. Pittman had first round talent so it was kind of a no brainer for him to be drafted where he was. 

After our WR room got hit by a tornado last season it also was needed. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

To me, the "good hands" piece is key

 

Reggie Wayne developed an amazing route running ability.

 

If Pittman can develop that part of his game, to go with the rest of his attributes, we may have something

 

I look forward seeing what the kid can do

I remember when Wayne was drafted he was considered the best route runner in his class.  If Pittman can improve there we should be in a great place.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I remember when Wayne was drafted he was considered the best route runner in his class.  If Pittman can improve there we should be in a great place.  

 

 We had that dufus that came from the Canadian league i think that was about Pittman's size.
 He got a huge hopeful hype on the board.
 Reggie said he wished he had that body size.
 You can't expect Pittman to have Reggie's foot quickness.
 No, this kid is going to Take the 5 yard contact and be able to bump those little friars to create space.
It is going to be a blast in 2021.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We had that dufus that came from the Canadian league i think that was about Pittman's size.
 He got a huge hopeful hype on the board.
 Reggie said he wished he had that body size.

You mean Duron Carter? I think he was around 6'4 or so. Isn't he Cris Carter's son?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dogg63 said:

You mean Duron Carter? I think he was around 6'4 or so.

built completely different. He was kind of a twig compared to Pittman

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

No, this kid is going to Take the 5 yard contact and be able to bump those little friars to create space.

A new Olympic sport. Friar bumpin!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the attributes, I think route running is the one that can be learned most.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Myles said:

Of all the attributes, I think route running is the one that can be learned most.  

I think so too. Soft hands on the other hand... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finding the open spot on the field may be the best trait Pittman has. Especially if Rivers gets the time to go through his progressions. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he can learn the route running as well, I think his ceiling is All Pro Mike Thomas of the Saints, who has similar speed and size

 

No guarantees of course

 

If he is 80% of Thomas, we will be happy

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If he can learn the route running as well, I think his ceiling is All Pro Mike Thomas of the Saints, who has similar speed and size

 

No guarantees of course

 

If he is 80% of Thomas, we will be happy

 


Both second round picks.  OSU had Zeke and Samuels in Thomas’s last year so he wasn’t featured like Pittman.   Saints got a steal.  I’m hoping we did too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, Rivers had zero to do with drafting Pittman. We already tried to get a big possession X last year with Funch. We took two this year (Pittman and Patmon) just so we wouldn't have to go without if Pittman got hurt. 

 

He isn't a bad route runner, he just had a limited tree at USC. If there's a dig on him at all, it's the need to improve getting off the line easier/quicker. He was able to bully his way through most college DBs, but struggled with guys that had size and/or more physical. He won't be able to bully near as many guys in the NFL. If he struggles in that aspect early in his career, we might see him running out of the slot or over the middle a lot more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, Rivers had zero to do with drafting Pittman. We already tried to get a big possession X last year with Funch. We took two this year (Pittman and Patmon) just so we wouldn't have to go without if Pittman got hurt. 

 

He isn't a bad route runner, he just had a limited tree at USC. If there's a dig on him at all, it's the need to improve getting off the line easier/quicker. He was able to bully his way through most college DBs, but struggled with guys that had size and/or more physical. He won't be able to bully near as many guys in the NFL. If he struggles in that aspect early in his career, we might see him running out of the slot or over the middle a lot more. 

East,  I think he will be ok.  There are college WRs that can’t get separation .... USC played some tomato cans but also some decent teams....


On his tape, 

Pittman had good separation and seems to be able to track the ball very well 

 

He also can out jump most people on the field

 

I hope (I think) we got a steal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

East,  I think he will be ok.  There are college WRs that can’t get separation .... USC played some tomato cans but also some decent teams....


On his tape, 

Pittman had good separation and seems to be able to track the ball very well 

 

He also can out jump most people on the field

 

I hope (I think) we got a steal

I think we did good to, and love the pick. I actually predicted Pittman or Claypool in the 2nd. I watched a decent amount of tape on him, and several games in general. He did struggle at times vs bigger/physical DBs. One of his least flattering games was vs ND,  and didn't do well vs Oregon and Iowa either. He destroyed lesser teams though. IIRC, he obliterated Utah. Not a great game for Blackmon lol.

 

Only point is, he'll need to improve off the line, and his ability to bully will decrease. He'll absolutely be an upgrade from the start over last year though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pittman was a great pick. I have every confidence he'll prove it yet this season. 

Patmon is interesting. He has some talent, and was surprisingly available in the 6th round. Its going to be fun to watch the #5 and 6 receiver competition.....brutally competitive. The rookies like Patmon will have to absolutely kill it in camp, since the preseason games are going to be limited or non existent. I'm rooting for him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Pittman was a great pick. I have every confidence he'll prove it yet this season. 

Patmon is interesting. He has some talent, and was surprisingly available in the 6th round. Its going to be fun to watch the #5 and 6 receiver competition.....brutally competitive. The rookies like Patmon will have to absolutely kill it in camp, since the preseason games are going to be limited or non existent. I'm rooting for him.

Agreed Patmon  will have to step up ASAP to make the team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Pittman was a great pick. I have every confidence he'll prove it yet this season. 

Patmon is interesting. He has some talent, and was surprisingly available in the 6th round. Its going to be fun to watch the #5 and 6 receiver competition.....brutally competitive. The rookies like Patmon will have to absolutely kill it in camp, since the preseason games are going to be limited or non existent. I'm rooting for him.

Patmon is an interesting one. He's got the size and measurables, but doesn't play to his size. He also needs to work getting off the LOS, and has a lot more work to do than Pittman in terms of running routes. I think he'll end up on the PS, but he's a great project to roll the dice on for a year or two. Could end up being a very good sneaky pick.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol his route running isn’t atrocious by any means but can improve..but that’s not necessarily his style but one thing he CAN  do is CATCH regardless if someone’s on him that’s what’s going to matter catching in traffic we can talk about his route running all we want but that man catches damn near everything that’s the best attribute to have I think..bc we’ve had ppl who got open and still couldn’t catch lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I agree with this. I think last years team would have been good enough with the addition of Rivers to make the playoffs. He doesn't even need to be all that good. Just consistent. As long as he doesn't try and play hero ball the Colts are in good hands.    Hell... maybe he will surprise everyone with his abilities. He's 38? Honestly a lot of guys were still great at that age (not elite). And I think the media has really unfairly judged him on one struggling season. Which I truly can't understand why.... they need someone to talk down about i guess. 
    • True in Lamar's first year in the league, but not last year.... but even if it was true for last year, I'm just going to leave these stats here:....   L. Jackson 2019 passing stats: 401 attempts  -  3,127 yards (avg 7.8)  -  36 TD  -  6 INTs  -  Passer rating: 113.3   P. Rivers 2019 passing stats: 591 attempts  -  4,615 yards (avg 7.8)  -  23 TD  -  20 INTs  -  Passer rating: 88.5   I know which QB i'd prefer.... especially as this ignores Lamar's value as a runner and elusiveness. Also yes i see your trapdoor emoji, but i get the feeling that other people feel this way..... so i wanted to just crush that narrative.   Also, people please dont get me wrong, i think Phillip will do well with us and is definitely an upgrade for us. I was merely making the point that while he should be great (especially behind our O-line), let's not get too carried away thinking we have one of the leagues best QB's, because we don't. He will do a good enough job to not hold the team back, which is more than we could hope for last year at the position.
    • @Coffeedrinker are you seriously trying to tell me you wouldn’t have D. Watson, L. Jackson or M. Ryan over Phillip Rivers at this point in Rivers’ career?   You’re crazy man!
    • Remember Marvin after he was dinged? This is starting to remind me of literally Watching Marvin’s physical ability decline.  Not quite there yet, but I look at TY’s age and size.... well, heres to hoping he continues to avoid big hits.     The way Ballard has been adding wideouts the last couple years has me wondering if Ballard isn't concerned about 16 game health too.
    • I think if I had stayed in IN when I was beginning to watch baseball it would have been between Reds, Cubs, and Pirates since triple A. But by the time I was 10 I had moved.      When I am in STL next year I will probably try to attend as many of the Cubs/Cards series as possible since there are 10 games and I'm 15 minutes from Busch at that point
  • Members

    • jchandler7

      jchandler7 318

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Behle

      Behle 34

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nadine

      Nadine 9,737

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NannyMcafee

      NannyMcafee 1,911

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfansince65

      coltsfansince65 1,363

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Franklin County

      Franklin County 480

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chrisaaron1023

      Chrisaaron1023 1,684

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 1,722

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CoachLite

      CoachLite 603

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...