Good “jumpball” ability

Good blocker

Good hands

Good football IQ

Negatives:

Lacks elite speed 

Lacks explosiveness 

Needs to improve route running

I remember Polian emphasizing what they (back then) looked for in a WR (and I don’t think it’s changed)

Soft hands

Football IQ

Ability to make adjustments when play breaks down

I wonder how much the Rivers signing had to do with the Pittman selection?

2 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Positives:

Good “jumpball” ability

Good blocker

Good hands

Good football IQ

Negatives:

Lacks elite speed 

Lacks explosiveness 

Needs to improve route running

I remember Polian emphasizing what they (back then) looked for in a WR (and I don’t think it’s changed)

Soft hands

Football IQ

Ability to make adjustments when play breaks down

I wonder how much the Rivers signing had to do with the Pittman selection?

I imagine Rivers played a part in it. But we’ve also been looking for the next Reggie Wayne since he left. I think Pittman could, and I emphasize could, be that guy in the future. 

To me, the "good hands" piece is key

Reggie Wayne developed an amazing route running ability.

If Pittman can develop that part of his game, to go with the rest of his attributes, we may have something

I look forward seeing what the kid can do

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I imagine Rivers played a part in it. But we’ve also been looking for the next Reggie Wayne since he left. I think Pittman could, and I emphasize could, be that guy in the future. 

Personally I don't think Rivers had much at all to do with Ballard drafting Pittman. Pittman had first round talent so it was kind of a no brainer for him to be drafted where he was. 

After our WR room got hit by a tornado last season it also was needed. 

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

To me, the "good hands" piece is key

Reggie Wayne developed an amazing route running ability.

If Pittman can develop that part of his game, to go with the rest of his attributes, we may have something

I look forward seeing what the kid can do

I remember when Wayne was drafted he was considered the best route runner in his class.  If Pittman can improve there we should be in a great place.  

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I remember when Wayne was drafted he was considered the best route runner in his class.  If Pittman can improve there we should be in a great place.  

We had that dufus that came from the Canadian league i think that was about Pittman's size.
 He got a huge hopeful hype on the board.
 Reggie said he wished he had that body size.
 You can't expect Pittman to have Reggie's foot quickness.
 No, this kid is going to Take the 5 yard contact and be able to bump those little friars to create space.
It is going to be a blast in 2021.

45 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We had that dufus that came from the Canadian league i think that was about Pittman's size.
 He got a huge hopeful hype on the board.
 Reggie said he wished he had that body size.

You mean Duron Carter? I think he was around 6'4 or so. Isn't he Cris Carter's son?

16 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If he can learn the route running as well, I think his ceiling is All Pro Mike Thomas of the Saints, who has similar speed and size

No guarantees of course

If he is 80% of Thomas, we will be happy

Both second round picks.  OSU had Zeke and Samuels in Thomas’s last year so he wasn’t featured like Pittman.   Saints got a steal.  I’m hoping we did too. 

Yup, Rivers had zero to do with drafting Pittman. We already tried to get a big possession X last year with Funch. We took two this year (Pittman and Patmon) just so we wouldn't have to go without if Pittman got hurt. 

He isn't a bad route runner, he just had a limited tree at USC. If there's a dig on him at all, it's the need to improve getting off the line easier/quicker. He was able to bully his way through most college DBs, but struggled with guys that had size and/or more physical. He won't be able to bully near as many guys in the NFL. If he struggles in that aspect early in his career, we might see him running out of the slot or over the middle a lot more. 

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, Rivers had zero to do with drafting Pittman. We already tried to get a big possession X last year with Funch. We took two this year (Pittman and Patmon) just so we wouldn't have to go without if Pittman got hurt. 

He isn't a bad route runner, he just had a limited tree at USC. If there's a dig on him at all, it's the need to improve getting off the line easier/quicker. He was able to bully his way through most college DBs, but struggled with guys that had size and/or more physical. He won't be able to bully near as many guys in the NFL. If he struggles in that aspect early in his career, we might see him running out of the slot or over the middle a lot more. 

East,  I think he will be ok.  There are college WRs that can’t get separation .... USC played some tomato cans but also some decent teams....

On his tape, 

Pittman had good separation and seems to be able to track the ball very well 

He also can out jump most people on the field

I hope (I think) we got a steal

15 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

East,  I think he will be ok.  There are college WRs that can’t get separation .... USC played some tomato cans but also some decent teams....

On his tape, 

Pittman had good separation and seems to be able to track the ball very well 

He also can out jump most people on the field

I hope (I think) we got a steal

I think we did good to, and love the pick. I actually predicted Pittman or Claypool in the 2nd. I watched a decent amount of tape on him, and several games in general. He did struggle at times vs bigger/physical DBs. One of his least flattering games was vs ND,  and didn't do well vs Oregon and Iowa either. He destroyed lesser teams though. IIRC, he obliterated Utah. Not a great game for Blackmon lol.

Only point is, he'll need to improve off the line, and his ability to bully will decrease. He'll absolutely be an upgrade from the start over last year though. 

Pittman was a great pick. I have every confidence he'll prove it yet this season. 

Patmon is interesting. He has some talent, and was surprisingly available in the 6th round. Its going to be fun to watch the #5 and 6 receiver competition.....brutally competitive. The rookies like Patmon will have to absolutely kill it in camp, since the preseason games are going to be limited or non existent. I'm rooting for him.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Pittman was a great pick. I have every confidence he'll prove it yet this season. 

Patmon is interesting. He has some talent, and was surprisingly available in the 6th round. Its going to be fun to watch the #5 and 6 receiver competition.....brutally competitive. The rookies like Patmon will have to absolutely kill it in camp, since the preseason games are going to be limited or non existent. I'm rooting for him.

Agreed Patmon  will have to step up ASAP to make the team

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Patmon is an interesting one. He's got the size and measurables, but doesn't play to his size. He also needs to work getting off the LOS, and has a lot more work to do than Pittman in terms of running routes. I think he'll end up on the PS, but he's a great project to roll the dice on for a year or two. Could end up being a very good sneaky pick.

Lol his route running isn’t atrocious by any means but can improve..but that’s not necessarily his style but one thing he CAN  do is CATCH regardless if someone’s on him that’s what’s going to matter catching in traffic we can talk about his route running all we want but that man catches damn near everything that’s the best attribute to have I think..bc we’ve had ppl who got open and still couldn’t catch lol

Archived