Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com State of the Franchise

RollerColt

Trying not to sound like a homer but I totally agree.

I think Ballard has drafted (and traded) excellent since he has been here.

Luck walking out left a huge hole to fill not only with his talent, but what we thought with his leadership as well. In my mind him and this team were on the verge of greatness. Pure disappointment is all I can feel about Luck.

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Trying not to sound like a homer but I totally agree.

I think Ballard has drafted (and traded) excellent since he has been here.

Luck walking out left a huge hole to fill not only with his talent, but what we thought with his leadership as well. In my mind him and this team were on the verge of greatness. Pure disappointment is all I can feel about Luck.

I never saw Luck as a great leader.  Not on the level i like in a QB.

Maybe its because we had one of the best “leaders” before him.  Kinda hard to live up to that standard as Peyton kinda raised everyones “game” from the owner to the guy selling hot dogs.

12 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I never saw Luck as a great leader.  Not on the level i like in a QB.

Maybe its because we had one of the best “leaders” before him.  Kinda hard to live up to that standard as Peyton kinda raised everyones “game” from the owner to the guy selling hot dogs.

Yeah it's hard to follow one of the greatest QBs in league history no doubt but Luck lead in the sense of coming to play with a linebackers mentality. He was more of a football player than a QB mentally. What was so fun watching him do is what lead him to a injured career. (on and off the field with the snowboarding incident)

19 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Luck not a leader? What utter tosh. 

Uh, didnt say not a leader.  I said not a GREAT leader, imo.

Not of the type we were accustomed to.  He was a different kind of leader.

In my memory, Luck didnt elevate the players around him and especially thecorganization the way a Peyton, Brady, Elway, Rivers, etc did.  Luck was a different “cat”.   I would further argue a leader of the type i am speaking of (peyton or brady) would never have walked away as Luck did.  Just look at what Peyton went thru to get back on the field.  
Of course Luck was a leader, but he will never be remembered as a GREAT  leader.  He led, sure, he just didnt “drag” players along like the best.

He just didnt.  Usually it was he making the big play, while a Peyton type was more apt to elevate and use the tools at his disposal.  At least that was the way i saw it.

8 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Luck not a leader? What utter tosh. 

He was. That is evident in the way things went when he was absent. 

HOWEVER, i think the comparison was Luck's leadership to Manning's.  Peyton was a different style of leader and was more involved, publicly and internally(from all reports). Both were talented, both were leaders with their own style. One was just more successful and more aggressive.  Kind of like a General Patton vs a General Bradley. Patton was considered a better leader due to his results, but he was far more demanding and more aggressive in his motivational tactics, and was a tactical genius.  Bradly on the other hand, was more of a soldiers general. More maternal in his leadership style of trying to put his men first and being compassionate. His strategical ability was above average, but arguable not as good as Patton's.  But Patton's successes were more numerous and longer lasting than Bradley.  It should be noted that Bradley did replace Patton by the end of the war and was Patton's commander in the latter parts of the war.

14 hours ago, RollerColt said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/state-of-the-franchise-colts-built-to-win-now-with-philip-rivers

High praise from Adam Rank of NFL.com. In short, he feels we are built and ready to win big, and believes we are a really good team this year. 

We've got a few holes, and several question marks, but love the potential. If some of the DBs and DEs step up this year, could be a really nice step forward on D. If Rivers and WRs step up, the O could be deadly.

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We've got a few holes, and several question marks, but love the potential. If some of the DBs and DEs step up this year, could be a really nice step forward on D. If Rivers and WRs step up, the O could be deadly.

Agreed. We have the necessary tools to succeed. Now, it’s going to be executing to put everything together. The 2018 class has a lot of eyes on them this year to take over leadership roles.

11 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

In my memory, Luck didnt elevate the players around him and especially thecorganization the way a Peyton, Brady, Elway, Rivers, etc did.  Luck was a different “cat”.   I would further argue a leader of the type i am speaking of (peyton or brady) would never have walked away as Luck did.  Just look at what Peyton went thru to get back on the field.  
Of course Luck was a leader, but he will never be remembered as a GREAT  leader.  He led, sure, he just didnt “drag” players along like the best.

He just didnt.  Usually it was he making the big play, while a Peyton type was more apt to elevate and use the tools at his disposal.  At least that was the way i saw it.

Ok, not a great leader? What utter tosh.

37 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed. We have the necessary tools to succeed. Now, it’s going to be executing to put everything together. The 2018 class has a lot of eyes on them this year to take over leadership roles.

Assuming we have decent health overall (the football gods owe us), we could be legit SB contenders:

1. IF our young DEs step up. That may be a tall task with unproven guys, especially given Turay, who is our biggest hope of emerging opposite Houston, is combing back from injury.

2. IF our young DB (Rock) takes the next step, Hooker returns to form, and Rhodes returns to form. I'm fairly confident on the first two, but Rhodes is big IF.

3. IF TY and Campbell can stay on the field, and all the other unproven guys emerge. It's funny, but out of all the guys, I'm most confident in Pittman lol. I don't mean I'm not confident in TY performing, I'm just less confident he'll have the production given his recent history. Everyone else is a wildcard.

4. IF our starting OL remains healthy all year. I key injury to just one of those guys could wreck things.

That's a lot of things that need to go our way lol...

Really wish we would have grabbed a proven CB (instead of Rhodes) and/or a DE like Clowney on a short term deal. I really hope we find some upgraded depth for our OL around cut down time.

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

No need to get personally rude sir, just because I disagree with your point of view. I will assume it was a light hearted jibe.

Sorry.  I didnt mean it that way.  Just kinda playin in my usual sarcastic way.  I enjoy your posts here.

Also, i know better than to mess with William Wallace.

FREEDOM !!!!!!

On 7/1/2020 at 2:14 AM, WoolMagnet said:

Agree to the bolded.  Peyton would hold players accountable in real time on the field.  Luck may have done so, but I never saw it happen to the degree Peyton did.

I think players didn't want to let Luck down because he was a good guy.  I think players were afraid to let Peyton down because they:d get destroyed, lol.

4 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Agree to the bolded.  Peyton would hold players accountable in real time on the field.  Luck may have done so, but I never saw it happen to the degree Peyton did.

I think players didn't want to let Luck down because he was a good guy.  I think players were afraid to let Peyton down because they:d get destroyed, lol.

Agree.

as we’ve seen in NE, a little “fear” can be a strong motivational tool.  Haha

34 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Aye, laddie. Are ye picking' a fight?

No way Mr Wallace ......... sir.

Archived