Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
AwesomeAustin

Patriots sign Cam Newton

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NFLUp said:

Desperate?  Paying a guy the league minimum plus incentives is desperate?

 

I guarantee that the Patriots finish with a better record than the Colts.  
 

There are no guarantees in the NFL as far as win or losses. There are way too many factors to consider.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Myles said:

Since the Colts had the cap room, the money doesn't matter much.   Rivers has been and will be the better QB option.   I think it was a good signing for the Pats.  BB can make the offense work.  Cams completion % issues will be an obstacle.  It's not like Rivers has been trending down through the years.   Last season wasn't great, but 2018 he put up MVP type numbers.    

25 million doesn’t make sense for a guy coming off of 20 interceptions, no MVP, nor a SB appearance. Don’t matter what you or anyone else try to make up in your head to justify the deal. I hope Rivers workouts here. NE got the better deal with Cam

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FortheWin said:

Yeah. I don't like the 20 picks either. I am trying to be optimistic that Reich will reign him and focus more on the run.

 

I really don't think NE is in a better situation. Newton has serious injury issues and has not been a good play for several seasons. I think they signed him more as insurance as they only have Stidham and Hoyer. They easily have the worst QB room in the league. The Colts are better with Rivers and Brissett IMO. Not sure it will be enough to get us where we need to go -the playoffs but Newton for sure is not leading the Pats anywhere.

QB wise yes they are. We’re tried up in 40 million dollars with two guys. Both regardless of what good you can take out of their film. JB wasn’t given the opportunity to develop   I had all of April and May to look at the overhead film. Rivers had 14 interceptions I can honestly blame on him. The other ones guys quitting on routes. He out of any QB has the most to prove next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, a06cc said:

QB wise yes they are. We’re tried up in 40 million dollars with two guys. Both regardless of what good you can take out of their film. JB wasn’t given the opportunity to develop   I had all of April and May to look at the overhead film. Rivers had 14 interceptions I can honestly blame on him. The other ones guys quitting on routes. He out of any QB has the most to prove next season. 

I disagree with what QB has the most to prove.

Brady needs to prove he can win games without Belichick and there is more pressure on him than Rivers by far.

You are making too much out of the 20 interceptions Rivers had. Even if you say 14 of those were on him he did put the ball in the air 591 times. If you are going to use stats to judge a QB, use all of them instead of hand picking just one to make a negative point.

How about being sacked 34 times?

How about throwing for 4,615 yards?

How about throwing for 217 first downs with having virtually no time in the pocket?

How about doing that with one of the worst running games in the league?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I disagree with what QB has the most to prove.

Brady needs to prove he can win games without Belichick and there is more pressure on him than Rivers by far.

You are making too much out of the 20 interceptions Rivers had. Even if you say 14 of those were on him he did put the ball in the air 591 times. If you are going to use stats to judge a QB, use all of them instead of hand picking just one to make a negative point.

How about being sacked 34 times?

How about throwing for 4,615 yards?

How about throwing for 217 first downs with having virtually no time in the pocket?

How about doing that with one of the worst running games in the league?

 


https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/offensive-line/2019

He does at 25 million dollars. You can sit here and seriously think paying 40 millions for two QB’s has us in a better situation? Chargers averaged 4 yards a carry last season right behind us. So what other excuse do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, a06cc said:


https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/offensive-line/2019

He does at 25 million dollars. You can sit here and seriously think paying 40 millions for two QB’s has us in a better situation? Chargers averaged 4 yards a carry last season right behind us. So what other excuse do you have?

What does the money have to do with anything?

The money is not coming out of your pocket so who cares?

Ballard done what he did now your going to make an issue of it and whine about it?

We have no issues with the cap at this point and past this season we will be in great shape.

It's you who chooses to be negative when there is nothing to be negative about

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What does the money have to do with anything?

The money is not coming out of your pocket so who cares?

Ballard done what he did now your going to make an issue of it and whine about it?

We have no issues with the cap at this point and past this season we will be in great shape.

It's you who chooses to be negative when there is nothing to be negative about

I totally agree.   We have the cap space.  

Rivers had the 20 INT's last season, but he still had a better season than most QB's.   Cam had a much worse season last year playing only 2 games.  In 2018 Rivers had a great year.  Sure Cam made it to, and lost, a SuperBowl 5 years ago, but he isn't expected to be the same after his recent injuries.  

Given the choice of the 2, Rivers is the easy choice.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, a06cc said:

QB wise yes they are. We’re tried up in 40 million dollars with two guys. Both regardless of what good you can take out of their film. JB wasn’t given the opportunity to develop   I had all of April and May to look at the overhead film. Rivers had 14 interceptions I can honestly blame on him. The other ones guys quitting on routes. He out of any QB has the most to prove next season. 

Not sure why you would say that.

JB sat a year behind Brady and started 2 games.   JB started a full season in 2017.  JB sat a year behind Luck in 2018.  JB started 15 games last season.  So he started 32 games and had a record of 12-20.   Under 60% completion percent.  He didn't improve from his college days.  Same flaws are still glaring.  I, for one, did not want to go 8-8.   We still might go 8-8 with Rivers, but at least it is unknown at this point.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, let's be real here... this was a great move for them. You put a guy with MVP potential, but perhaps a knack for getting in his OWN way with Bill Belichick in NE...  could be some successful years for them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Wasn't it the Patriots that injured cam? 

Hmm... the plan is all coming together isn’t it?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 07dleigh said:

Guys, let's be real here... this was a great move for them. You put a guy with MVP potential, but perhaps a knack for getting in his OWN way with Bill Belichick in NE...  could be some successful years for them

I agree that this is a good move for them.   I don't care for how many are touting his MVP year as evidence for it though.   It was 5 years ago.  In his career as a whole, his number weren't reflective of his other 8 years in the NFL.   He had his most TD's, least INT's, best rating (99.4).   It was a great season, no question, but the very next season he threw for 52.9% completions, 19 TD's, 14 INT's with a rating of 75.8.   

Also, his MVP award was mostly based off his running the ball which won't be as big a part of his game anymore.   I do think he'll probably rush for over 400 yards though.       

 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2015/passing.htm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, NFLUp said:

Desperate?  Paying a guy the league minimum plus incentives is desperate?

 

I guarantee that the Patriots finish with a better record than the Colts.  
 

Wait. Weren't you the one telling me that Stidham was the starter? That Bill was high on him and he was the guy?  Now on June 28 he gets a broken down, beaten up Cam?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, a06cc said:

QB wise yes they are. We’re tried up in 40 million dollars with two guys. Both regardless of what good you can take out of their film. JB wasn’t given the opportunity to develop   I had all of April and May to look at the overhead film. Rivers had 14 interceptions I can honestly blame on him. The other ones guys quitting on routes. He out of any QB has the most to prove next season. 

I am not sure what to tell you. JB was drafted in 4 years ago. He has started two full seasons for the Colts and he has been awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 4:36 PM, NFLUp said:

 

 

I guarantee that the Patriots finish with a better record than the Colts.  
 

You guarantee that.   Did you feel the same prior to Cam?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Myles said:

You guarantee that.   Did you feel the same prior to Cam?

I guess finishing better than the Colts is now the high bar for the mighty Pats.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as they are winning relationships will take a back seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, a06cc said:

The coaching is far better in NE. Rivers also had far better talent to work with over the years than Cam. I’m not saying Rivers is washed, but I don’t think Cam is done either. Cam also was a league MVP. Again that’s something Rivers has never won. 

Rivers isn't a malcontent...Cam is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, Myles said:

I didn't hear him say anything about Joe Flacco or Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

 

I was a bit surprised at the amount Cam signed for.   In the Patriots defense, they had all the leverage.  Other teams were not interested in Cam.   The Pats waited it out and offered a lowball offer and Cam took it because there were no options.  If he has a good season and the Pats do well, Cam may make more big $$.   No whammy, No whammy, Big Bucks!

I don't think that Newton is considered a top flight QB by the NFL.  I mean, I think the media and some fans think that he is better than he is.  He had some great years when he was a running threat, which helped his passing game at the time, but other than that he's been hot and cold and, IMO, just an average QB when relegated to strictly pocket passing.  That's what he'll be doing in NE.  Having said that, I think he will do pretty well since he still delivers a pretty good ball and Josh McLittleD will plan accordingly.

 

When you combine his probably overrated play with a self centered personality where he equates himself with Superman, he just seems like a QB who a team would NOT want to be the face of the franchise but simply a QB role player.   If he becomes a humble pocket passer role player on a NE team that will emphasize running and defense, I hope he does well.  If he thinks he's the guy responsible for any success the team has...and with his personality he might.....I hope he and NE fail miserably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think that Newton is considered a top flight QB by the NFL.  I mean, I think the media and some fans think that he is better than he is.  He had some great years when he was a running threat, which helped his passing game at the time, but other than that he's been hot and cold and, IMO, just an average QB when relegated to strictly pocket passing.  That's what he'll be doing in NE.  Having said that, I think he will do pretty well since he still delivers a pretty good ball and Josh McLittleD will plan accordingly.

 

When you combine his probably overrated play with a self centered personality where he equates himself with Superman, he just seems like a QB who a team would NOT want to be the face of the franchise but simply a QB role player.   If he becomes a humble pocket passer role player on a NE team that will emphasize running and defense, I hope he does well.  If he thinks he's the guy responsible for any success the team has...and with his personality he might.....I hope he and NE fail miserably.

I assume that is the feeling most people outside of the North East feel.     Honestly, I'm not certain how he will do.  One year he threw for 67.9 % completions.  Another he threw for 52.9% completions.  He's an inconsistant passer, but on the Patriots he could find stability.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will open things up for Sony Michel and the RBs, IMO, Cam's presence and running ability that will keep Ds honest. That is how I expect Belichick and McDaniels to run the show, a run oriented offense with timely passing and stellar defense that they already have in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This will open things up for Sony Michel and the RBs, IMO, Cam's presence and running ability that will keep Ds honest. That is how I expect Belichick and McDaniels to run the show, a run oriented offense with timely passing and stellar defense that they already have in place.

I had the Bills winning the division before the Pats got Cam. I now think the Pats will go 10-6 and squeak it out over the Bills. Bills still may go 10-6 too but my pick now is the Pats in the AFC East. With Stidham they had 8-8 written all over them and BB knew it IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The great thing about the AFC is I see a lot of parity now. Chiefs and Ravens are the cream of the crop but beatable. I would set my over/under wins wise at:

 

Chiefs 11.5 - 11 or 12 is the question. They will lose at least 4.

Ravens 11.5 - they will drop off a little IMO.

Colts 9.5

Titans 9.5

Pats 9.5

Bills 9.5

Steelers 9.5 - if Ben stays healthy, they could win 10.

Texans 8.5

Raiders 8.5

Broncos 7.5

Browns 7.5 lol

-That is true parity. 

 

The true stinky teams will be the Jags, Chargers, Dolphins, Jets, and Bengals IMO. I could see the Bengals winning maybe 7 if Burrow is the real deal. I just hope the Jags do not get the #1 pick because that will be Lawrence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2020 at 1:32 PM, chad72 said:

This will open things up for Sony Michel and the RBs, IMO, Cam's presence and running ability that will keep Ds honest. That is how I expect Belichick and McDaniels to run the show, a run oriented offense with timely passing and stellar defense that they already have in place.

Michel is a JAG. Newton hasn't been a dual threat for 3 seasons. Defenses will stack the box and force Newton who has been a very inaccurate passer throughout his career to throw into tight windows to receivers who were 32nd in the league last year at getting separation. It is going to be a beautiful dumpster fire in NE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Michel is a JAG. Newton hasn't been a dual threat for 3 seasons. Defenses will stack the box and force Newton who has been a very inaccurate passer throughout his career to throw into tight windows to receivers who were 32nd in the league last year at getting separation. It is going to be a beautiful dumpster fire in NE.

I think it could go either way.   I can see them winning 7 games and I can see them winning 11 games.   Remember they get 2 games against the Dolphins, Jets and Bills.  

 

 

On 7/4/2020 at 2:15 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The great thing about the AFC is I see a lot of parity now. Chiefs and Ravens are the cream of the crop but beatable. I would set my over/under wins wise at:

 

Chiefs 11.5 - 11 or 12 is the question. They will lose at least 4.

Ravens 11.5 - they will drop off a little IMO.

Colts 9.5

Titans 9.5

Pats 9.5

Bills 9.5

Steelers 9.5 - if Ben stays healthy, they could win 10.

Texans 8.5

Raiders 8.5

Broncos 7.5

Browns 7.5 lol

-That is true parity. 

 

The true stinky teams will be the Jags, Chargers, Dolphins, Jets, and Bengals IMO. I could see the Bengals winning maybe 7 if Burrow is the real deal. I just hope the Jags do not get the #1 pick because that will be Lawrence.

Darn!!   I have to root for the Jags to win games.   

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 4:19 PM, FortheWin said:

Wait. Weren't you the one telling me that Stidham was the starter? That Bill was high on him and he was the guy?  Now on June 28 he gets a broken down, beaten up Cam?

Cam is broken down?  He’s had two successful surgeries over two years and is reportedly very healthy.

yiu guys have Philip “Never done a thing” Rivers.

For $25 million.

We have a former MVP who in 2018 was becoming more Brady-like with his short throwing game before the surgery.

For only $7 mil if he hits all of his incentives.

 

A healthy Cam is FAR better than an old INT machine named Philip Rivers.

 

I’m still very interested to see how Stidham plays; I think he has the tools to be a good NFL starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 4:42 PM, Myles said:

You guarantee that.   Did you feel the same prior to Cam?

Yep.  Stidham, that defense and BB are much more likely to find success than the Colts.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 4:51 PM, FortheWin said:

I guess finishing better than the Colts is now the high bar for the mighty Pats.

Last I checked, this is a Colts board.  What other team should I compare the Patriots with here?

At least the Patriots remain relevant; hasn’t been the case for the Colts in almost a decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NFLUp said:

Yep.  Stidham, that defense and BB are much more likely to find success than the Colts.

I disagree. Colts will win 10 games pretty easily if they stay healthy. I put my over/under at 9.5 because health is always a factor. I see the Pats winning 10 as well or so, I think both teams are pretty even. Rivers had a crappy O.line last year, this year he will have arguably the best one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

Last I checked, this is a Colts board.  What other team should I compare the Patriots with here?

At least the Patriots remain relevant; hasn’t been the case for the Colts in almost a decade.

Colts have been relevant plenty since Peyton has left. Luck and crew did make the Playoffs 4 times over the last decade and went to an AFC Title Game where your guys cheated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

Last I checked, this is a Colts board.  What other team should I compare the Patriots with here?

At least the Patriots remain relevant; hasn’t been the case for the Colts in almost a decade.

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

I almost felt like this doing this homer falling GIF when he said the Colts haven't been relevant for a decade. We were just in the Divisional Round in 2018/19 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NFLUp said:

 

I’m still very interested to see how Stidham plays; I think he has the tools to be a good NFL starter.

Bill obviously does not agree with you given he signed broken down Cam on the cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NFLUp said:

Last I checked, this is a Colts board.  What other team should I compare the Patriots with here?

At least the Patriots remain relevant; hasn’t been the case for the Colts in almost a decade.

So this is how far NE fans have fallen now? Have to pump your chest on a Colts board? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NFLUp said:

Last I checked, this is a Colts board.  What other team should I compare the Patriots with here?

At least the Patriots remain relevant; hasn’t been the case for the Colts in almost a decade.

Thus the arrogance of a Patriot fan coming into a Colts forum stirring up trouble. 

I think you should check some facts out before spewing horse dung. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • 100% agree here. It's probably the right thing to do honestly to keep 6 WRs. We have lots of potential, but no guarantees besides Hilton at this point. However, I love Pittman, Pascal and Campbell as well. Patmon and Dulin can still make the practice squad, so they might not make the 53 because of that. Fountain is borderline, I think it depends on if he is fully recovered from his injury and can outperform 2 of the other 3 in Patmon, Dulin, and Marcus Johnson. Marcus showed some potential as well, he's the longshot IMO, but a big training camp could have him make the roster as the no6 receiver.   I don't think Patmon will stay on the practice squad for very long with his size and potential, so I'd keep him, don't know between the other 3 yet, I'd determine that through training camp competition. In any case, our WR potential looks fantastic, and with Rivers at QB, I believe we'll have 2 guys break out this year at WR.
    • If it's going to happen to anyone this year, it'll be us. Mack and Taylor will both be used heavily in the offense, Reich seems committed to the run, great O-Line. The recipe is there for something like that to happen. Not only that, we should be ahead in the majority of our games, so I can see us running the ball a lot in the 2nd half to waste time off the clock.    Obvious it's not guaranteed to happen, but I think if the NFL plays a full 16 games the result will be very close.
    • Great stuff. Sounds like Paris is off to a great start. Kevin Bowen said he is supposed to be at practice Monday. I think they will be in full pads. 
    • That's pretty lofty.   It's only happened a handful of times in league history
    • Stubhub.   Legal scalping 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...