Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots sign Cam Newton

13 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Who ends the relationship first?  Cam or BB?

tumblr_nnuvy2EYA51rdutw3o1_r1_400.gif

source.gif

Odds are it doesn’t work but if Cam buys into what BB says they just may win the division. The media really hates Cam but some of it is deserved.  The female discussing NFL routes was a really dumb move.  BB will be able to take most of that on the chin with his notorious off put attitude. 

I don't see this working out. Cam seems like a mismatch for the Pats. How they go from a cerebral pocket-passer in Tom Brady to a mobile health risk in Cam Newton seems like a complete 180. Belichick of course is good at game-planning to the strengths of his players, so maybe he will find something, but it won't matter if Cam gets injured.

37 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Odds are it doesn’t work

1 minute ago, ReMeDy said:

I don't see this working out.

Unfortunately, I can see BB and Josh McDaniels making this work very well with Cams skill-set... and I hate it.  :flaming:

But it all depends on Cam buying in and checking his ego at the door.  And if Cams' history tells us anything, he won't be able to do that.  So ultimately, I agree that this won't work.  Either Cam gets injured early, or his ego takes over once he starts having a little success.

Either way... gonna be an interesting season for the Pats and their haters!

eDTmhEf.gif

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I don't see this working out. Cam seems like a mismatch for the Pats. How they go from a cerebral pocket-passer in Tom Brady to a mobile health risk in Cam Newton seems like a complete 180. Belichick of course is good at game-planning to the strengths of his players, so maybe he will find something, but it won't matter if Cam gets injured.

I see it working out, Belichick is the GOAT and Cam is miles better than Stidham. I would take Brissett over Stidham.

Also, can we talk about this 1-year contract is only worth "up to" 7.5 mil?

Like... how little of that is guaranteed?  And if he reaches ALL the incentives, he ONLY gets 7.5 mil?

Maybe someone with more knowledge can elaborate, but didn't Rivers get 20 mil guaranteed, and Brady get 15 mil guaranteed?  With incentives to make like 25 mil?

Cam has gotta be feelin some kinda way right now...  :hissy:  he's already going into this year with a bruised ego.  I can't imagine it's going to get better when he's forced into the "Patriot Way"...  talk about a ticking time bomb...  :bomb:

3 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

It could have workout better for them if they got JB in a trade... Cam just doesn't have much left.....Besides, Stidham is going to be the starter anyway which leave Cam guessing why he is not the starter...

You think Brissett is a better option than Cam?      I think BB knew better than that.   Cam could be good for the Patriots.   In that division, he is probably enough to win it.  

11 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I agree. Pats seem very desperate. Cam is not a fit at all, very injury prone and an inaccurate passer. If this season does happen, the Pats are going to be awful and I will enjoy every second of it!

3 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Who did Bill sell his soul to? Just great... I need them to go away. But it'll be nice to see them still winning without Brady :thinking::dunno:

He didn't sell his soul to anyone. No one wanted Cam. He is well past his prime and injury prone.

We’re not in a better situation ourselves. We have a guy coming off of 20 interceptions. This Cam in NE may work out. He need to sit the year he got his shoulder surgery. He was rushed back to play. Cam also made it to a SB. Something Rivers has never done. So some of you need to watch the way to comment on a topic. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
2 minutes ago, a06cc said:

We’re not in a better situation ourselves. We have a guy coming off of 20 interceptions. This Cam in NE may work out. He need to sit the year he got his shoulder surgery. He was rushed back to play. Cam also made it to a SB. Something Rivers has never done. So some of you need to watch the way to comment on a topic. 

I think Rivers is washed too but Rivers at least played the season and was healthy. He is also a great fit for Reich's offense in many respects. The NE offense is pure hot garbage. Cam has none of the players he had in Carolina to be successful.

2 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

I think Rivers is washed too but Rivers at least played the season and was healthy. He is also a great fit for Reich's offense in many respects. The NE offense is pure hot garbage. Cam has none of the players he had in Carolina to be successful.

The coaching is far better in NE. Rivers also had far better talent to work with over the years than Cam. I’m not saying Rivers is washed, but I don’t think Cam is done either. Cam also was a league MVP. Again that’s something Rivers has never won. 

5 minutes ago, a06cc said:

The coaching is far better in NE. Rivers also had far better talent to work with over the years than Cam. I’m not saying Rivers is washed, but I don’t think Cam is done either. Cam also was a league MVP. Again that’s something Rivers has never won. 

If we are comparing careers, Rivers has been the better QB over a much longer period of time and for the most part free of serious injury.  It is sad but Rivers at 38 has more in the tank than Cam at 31 that is why nobody wanted Cam until June 28 and Rivers had a job for $25 mil as soon as FA began.

In terms of coaching, Rivers is a far better fit with Reich than BB is with Newton especially given the putrid talent around Cam.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

If we are comparing careers, Rivers has been the better QB over a much longer period of time and for the most part free of serious injury.  It is sad but Rivers at 38 has more in the tank than Cam at 31 that is why nobody wanted Cam until June 28 and Rivers had a job for $25 mil as soon as FA began.

In terms of coaching, Rivers is a far better fit with Reich than BB is with Newton especially given the putrid talent around Cam.

Again Philip has the numbers, years and familiar with Reich. Glad you said that. He doesn’t have the MVP and SB appearance. We now have one guy coming off 20 interceptions making 25 million. Add in the fact our backup is making 15 million. They just got a guy who was a league MVP for vet minimum. BB has the first ranked defense out of that putrid talent. Ballard is building a roster as well. I hope Philip can come though. Just waiting for it to be proven. NE to me got the better deal as it stands. 

10 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Again Philip has the numbers, years and familiar with Reich. Glad you said that. He doesn’t have the MVP and SB appearance. We now have one guy coming off 20 interceptions making 25 million. Add in the fact our backup is making 15 million. They just got a guy who was a league MVP for vet minimum. BB has the first ranked defense out of that putrid talent. Ballard is building a roster as well. I hope Philip can come though. Just waiting for it to be proven. NE to me got the better deal as it stands. 

Who cares about the past? Newton's MVP /SB season was 5 years ago and he has been injury prone and a shell of himself since then which is why no one wanted him until June 28 on an incentive laden deal. I think Rivers is declining as well but not nearly as much as Newton has and he has the better fit with his coach and the better overall roster. NEs pass defense is very good but they lost 2 of their starting LBs and their overall front is not very good. And their offense is complete junk and that is what Newton has to work with.

17 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Who cares about the past? Newton's MVP /SB season was 5 years ago and he has been injury prone and a shell of himself since then which is why no one wanted him until June 28 on an incentive laden deal. I think Rivers is declining as well but not nearly as much as Newton has and he has the better fit with his coach and the better overall roster. NEs pass defense is very good but they lost 2 of their starting LBs and their overall front is not very good. And their offense is complete junk and that is what Newton has to work with.

Ok so who cares about Rivers past. What we both know it’s the guy threw 20 interceptions last season. I’m not defending NE because like you I hate them as well. But they’re in a far better QB situation at the moment. The money proves it and also the players. I think we were the only team to want Rivers as well. 

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

Ok so who cares about Rivers past. What we both know it’s the guy threw 20 interceptions last season. I’m not defending NE because like you I hate them as well. But they’re in a far better QB situation at the moment. The money proves it and also the players. I think we were the only team to want Rivers as well. 

Yeah. I don't like the 20 picks either. I am trying to be optimistic that Reich will reign him and focus more on the run.

I really don't think NE is in a better situation. Newton has serious injury issues and has not been a good play for several seasons. I think they signed him more as insurance as they only have Stidham and Hoyer. They easily have the worst QB room in the league. The Colts are better with Rivers and Brissett IMO. Not sure it will be enough to get us where we need to go -the playoffs but Newton for sure is not leading the Pats anywhere.

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Since the Colts had the cap room, the money doesn't matter much.   Rivers has been and will be the better QB option.   I think it was a good signing for the Pats.  BB can make the offense work.  Cams completion % issues will be an obstacle.  It's not like Rivers has been trending down through the years.   Last season wasn't great, but 2018 he put up MVP type numbers.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Now Richard Sherman is complaining about Newton having to sign for basically only the vet minimum.  Know where this is headed.  LOL.

Not unexpected.  A guy with a 'tude like Sherman sticks up for a guy with a somewhat similar 'tude in Newton, thinking that somehow people like him get treated in a bad way not because they objectively deserve it time and time again, but for some other reason.  LOL.

Wonder if he would ever stick up for a guy with a personality like Tarik Glenn?

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Now Richard Sherman is complaining about Newton having to sign for basically only the vet minimum.  Know where this is headed.  LOL.

Not unexpected.  A guy with a 'tude like Sherman sticks up for a guy with a somewhat similar 'tude in Newton, thinking that somehow people like him get treated in a bad way not because they objectively deserve it time and time again, but for some other reason.  LOL.

Wonder if he would ever stick up for a guy with a personality like Tarik Glenn?

I didn't hear him say anything about Joe Flacco or Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

I was a bit surprised at the amount Cam signed for.   In the Patriots defense, they had all the leverage.  Other teams were not interested in Cam.   The Pats waited it out and offered a lowball offer and Cam took it because there were no options.  If he has a good season and the Pats do well, Cam may make more big $$.   No whammy, No whammy, Big Bucks!

Makes too much sense for the Patriots. We saw this coming eventually. Surprised it took so long to be honest. 

If Cam is as healthy as reports claim, he should have no problem assuming the starting job over Stidham. 

6 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I agree. Pats seem very desperate. Cam is not a fit at all, very injury prone and an inaccurate passer. If this season does happen, the Pats are going to be awful and I will enjoy every second of it!

Desperate?  Paying a guy the league minimum plus incentives is desperate?

I guarantee that the Patriots finish with a better record than the Colts.  

1 minute ago, NFLUp said:

Desperate?  Paying a guy the league minimum plus incentives is desperate?

I guarantee that the Patriots finish with a better record than the Colts.  

I see them both at 10-6. Picking up Cam Newton will win the division for them now. With Stidham I had 8-8. Cam's only issue is can he stay healthy?