Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots sign Cam Newton


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

Who ends the relationship first?  Cam or BB?

 

tumblr_nnuvy2EYA51rdutw3o1_r1_400.gif

source.gif


Odds are it doesn’t work but if Cam buys into what BB says they just may win the division. The media really hates Cam but some of it is deserved.  The female discussing NFL routes was a really dumb move.  BB will be able to take most of that on the chin with his notorious off put attitude. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see this working out. Cam seems like a mismatch for the Pats. How they go from a cerebral pocket-passer in Tom Brady to a mobile health risk in Cam Newton seems like a complete 180. Belichick of course is good at game-planning to the strengths of his players, so maybe he will find something, but it won't matter if Cam gets injured.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Odds are it doesn’t work

 

1 minute ago, ReMeDy said:

I don't see this working out.

 

Unfortunately, I can see BB and Josh McDaniels making this work very well with Cams skill-set... and I hate it.  :flaming:

 

But it all depends on Cam buying in and checking his ego at the door.  And if Cams' history tells us anything, he won't be able to do that.  So ultimately, I agree that this won't work.  Either Cam gets injured early, or his ego takes over once he starts having a little success.

 

Either way... gonna be an interesting season for the Pats and their haters!

 

eDTmhEf.gif

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I don't see this working out. Cam seems like a mismatch for the Pats. How they go from a cerebral pocket-passer in Tom Brady to a mobile health risk in Cam Newton seems like a complete 180. Belichick of course is good at game-planning to the strengths of his players, so maybe he will find something, but it won't matter if Cam gets injured.

I see it working out, Belichick is the GOAT and Cam is miles better than Stidham. I would take Brissett over Stidham.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, can we talk about this 1-year contract is only worth "up to" 7.5 mil?

 

Like... how little of that is guaranteed?  And if he reaches ALL the incentives, he ONLY gets 7.5 mil?

 

Maybe someone with more knowledge can elaborate, but didn't Rivers get 20 mil guaranteed, and Brady get 15 mil guaranteed?  With incentives to make like 25 mil?

 

Cam has gotta be feelin some kinda way right now...  :hissy:  he's already going into this year with a bruised ego.  I can't imagine it's going to get better when he's forced into the "Patriot Way"...  talk about a ticking time bomb...  :bomb:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

It could have workout better for them if they got JB in a trade... Cam just doesn't have much left.....Besides, Stidham is going to be the starter anyway which leave Cam guessing why he is not the starter...

You think Brissett is a better option than Cam?      I think BB knew better than that.   Cam could be good for the Patriots.   In that division, he is probably enough to win it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I don't see this working out. Cam seems like a mismatch for the Pats. How they go from a cerebral pocket-passer in Tom Brady to a mobile health risk in Cam Newton seems like a complete 180. Belichick of course is good at game-planning to the strengths of his players, so maybe he will find something, but it won't matter if Cam gets injured.

I agree. Pats seem very desperate. Cam is not a fit at all, very injury prone and an inaccurate passer. If this season does happen, the Pats are going to be awful and I will enjoy every second of it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Who did Bill sell his soul to? Just great... I need them to go away. But it'll be nice to see them still winning without Brady :thinking::dunno:

He didn't sell his soul to anyone. No one wanted Cam. He is well past his prime and injury prone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re not in a better situation ourselves. We have a guy coming off of 20 interceptions. This Cam in NE may work out. He need to sit the year he got his shoulder surgery. He was rushed back to play. Cam also made it to a SB. Something Rivers has never done. So some of you need to watch the way to comment on a topic. 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, a06cc said:

We’re not in a better situation ourselves. We have a guy coming off of 20 interceptions. This Cam in NE may work out. He need to sit the year he got his shoulder surgery. He was rushed back to play. Cam also made it to a SB. Something Rivers has never done. So some of you need to watch the way to comment on a topic. 

I think Rivers is washed too but Rivers at least played the season and was healthy. He is also a great fit for Reich's offense in many respects. The NE offense is pure hot garbage. Cam has none of the players he had in Carolina to be successful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

I think Rivers is washed too but Rivers at least played the season and was healthy. He is also a great fit for Reich's offense in many respects. The NE offense is pure hot garbage. Cam has none of the players he had in Carolina to be successful.

The coaching is far better in NE. Rivers also had far better talent to work with over the years than Cam. I’m not saying Rivers is washed, but I don’t think Cam is done either. Cam also was a league MVP. Again that’s something Rivers has never won. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, a06cc said:

The coaching is far better in NE. Rivers also had far better talent to work with over the years than Cam. I’m not saying Rivers is washed, but I don’t think Cam is done either. Cam also was a league MVP. Again that’s something Rivers has never won. 

If we are comparing careers, Rivers has been the better QB over a much longer period of time and for the most part free of serious injury.  It is sad but Rivers at 38 has more in the tank than Cam at 31 that is why nobody wanted Cam until June 28 and Rivers had a job for $25 mil as soon as FA began.

 

In terms of coaching, Rivers is a far better fit with Reich than BB is with Newton especially given the putrid talent around Cam.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

If we are comparing careers, Rivers has been the better QB over a much longer period of time and for the most part free of serious injury.  It is sad but Rivers at 38 has more in the tank than Cam at 31 that is why nobody wanted Cam until June 28 and Rivers had a job for $25 mil as soon as FA began.

 

In terms of coaching, Rivers is a far better fit with Reich than BB is with Newton especially given the putrid talent around Cam.

Again Philip has the numbers, years and familiar with Reich. Glad you said that. He doesn’t have the MVP and SB appearance. We now have one guy coming off 20 interceptions making 25 million. Add in the fact our backup is making 15 million. They just got a guy who was a league MVP for vet minimum. BB has the first ranked defense out of that putrid talent. Ballard is building a roster as well. I hope Philip can come though. Just waiting for it to be proven. NE to me got the better deal as it stands. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Again Philip has the numbers, years and familiar with Reich. Glad you said that. He doesn’t have the MVP and SB appearance. We now have one guy coming off 20 interceptions making 25 million. Add in the fact our backup is making 15 million. They just got a guy who was a league MVP for vet minimum. BB has the first ranked defense out of that putrid talent. Ballard is building a roster as well. I hope Philip can come though. Just waiting for it to be proven. NE to me got the better deal as it stands. 

Who cares about the past? Newton's MVP /SB season was 5 years ago and he has been injury prone and a shell of himself since then which is why no one wanted him until June 28 on an incentive laden deal. I think Rivers is declining as well but not nearly as much as Newton has and he has the better fit with his coach and the better overall roster. NEs pass defense is very good but they lost 2 of their starting LBs and their overall front is not very good. And their offense is complete junk and that is what Newton has to work with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Who cares about the past? Newton's MVP /SB season was 5 years ago and he has been injury prone and a shell of himself since then which is why no one wanted him until June 28 on an incentive laden deal. I think Rivers is declining as well but not nearly as much as Newton has and he has the better fit with his coach and the better overall roster. NEs pass defense is very good but they lost 2 of their starting LBs and their overall front is not very good. And their offense is complete junk and that is what Newton has to work with.

Ok so who cares about Rivers past. What we both know it’s the guy threw 20 interceptions last season. I’m not defending NE because like you I hate them as well. But they’re in a far better QB situation at the moment. The money proves it and also the players. I think we were the only team to want Rivers as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, a06cc said:

Ok so who cares about Rivers past. What we both know it’s the guy threw 20 interceptions last season. I’m not defending NE because like you I hate them as well. But they’re in a far better QB situation at the moment. The money proves it and also the players. I think we were the only team to want Rivers as well. 

Yeah. I don't like the 20 picks either. I am trying to be optimistic that Reich will reign him and focus more on the run.

 

I really don't think NE is in a better situation. Newton has serious injury issues and has not been a good play for several seasons. I think they signed him more as insurance as they only have Stidham and Hoyer. They easily have the worst QB room in the league. The Colts are better with Rivers and Brissett IMO. Not sure it will be enough to get us where we need to go -the playoffs but Newton for sure is not leading the Pats anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Again Philip has the numbers, years and familiar with Reich. Glad you said that. He doesn’t have the MVP and SB appearance. We now have one guy coming off 20 interceptions making 25 million. Add in the fact our backup is making 15 million. They just got a guy who was a league MVP for vet minimum. BB has the first ranked defense out of that putrid talent. Ballard is building a roster as well. I hope Philip can come though. Just waiting for it to be proven. NE to me got the better deal as it stands. 

Since the Colts had the cap room, the money doesn't matter much.   Rivers has been and will be the better QB option.   I think it was a good signing for the Pats.  BB can make the offense work.  Cams completion % issues will be an obstacle.  It's not like Rivers has been trending down through the years.   Last season wasn't great, but 2018 he put up MVP type numbers.    

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Now Richard Sherman is complaining about Newton having to sign for basically only the vet minimum.  Know where this is headed.  LOL.

 

Not unexpected.  A guy with a 'tude like Sherman sticks up for a guy with a somewhat similar 'tude in Newton, thinking that somehow people like him get treated in a bad way not because they objectively deserve it time and time again, but for some other reason.  LOL.

 

Wonder if he would ever stick up for a guy with a personality like Tarik Glenn?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Now Richard Sherman is complaining about Newton having to sign for basically only the vet minimum.  Know where this is headed.  LOL.

 

Not unexpected.  A guy with a 'tude like Sherman sticks up for a guy with a somewhat similar 'tude in Newton, thinking that somehow people like him get treated in a bad way not because they objectively deserve it time and time again, but for some other reason.  LOL.

 

Wonder if he would ever stick up for a guy with a personality like Tarik Glenn?

I didn't hear him say anything about Joe Flacco or Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

 

I was a bit surprised at the amount Cam signed for.   In the Patriots defense, they had all the leverage.  Other teams were not interested in Cam.   The Pats waited it out and offered a lowball offer and Cam took it because there were no options.  If he has a good season and the Pats do well, Cam may make more big $$.   No whammy, No whammy, Big Bucks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes too much sense for the Patriots. We saw this coming eventually. Surprised it took so long to be honest. 
 

If Cam is as healthy as reports claim, he should have no problem assuming the starting job over Stidham. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I agree. Pats seem very desperate. Cam is not a fit at all, very injury prone and an inaccurate passer. If this season does happen, the Pats are going to be awful and I will enjoy every second of it!

Desperate?  Paying a guy the league minimum plus incentives is desperate?

 

I guarantee that the Patriots finish with a better record than the Colts.  
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NFLUp said:

Desperate?  Paying a guy the league minimum plus incentives is desperate?

 

I guarantee that the Patriots finish with a better record than the Colts.  
 

I see them both at 10-6. Picking up Cam Newton will win the division for them now. With Stidham I had 8-8. Cam's only issue is can he stay healthy?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I think Flus simply needs to blitz more to be honest. Between the lack of blitzing and stunting, and our soft zone, I just can't envision our pass rush getting a lot better even with an upgrade at DE. Not blitzing/stunting let's the OL settle in, and makes their jobs much easier. And playing soft zone allows easy pass after easy pass, and almost makes it impossible for coverage sacks. Just not sure why we stay so conservative.    On RO, I'd have to look at those last 4-5 opponents last year. If he played at a high level all year that's one thing, but he played mediocre for 4.5-4.75 years, and looks fantastic only in the last 4-5 games? The situation just needs more context and digging.    
    • No doubt any move is a gamble of some kind or another. If its an older guy, is the player injury prone or on the downhill side of his career? If a younger guy, will he still perform with serious coin in his pocket for the first time? But in the end, you have to look at recent production. If the guy has a good rep for being a hard worker and improved his play such that he's become an impact player, he's worth the gamble, IMO. Maybe not for a contract longer than 3 years, but I like taking a shot at an ascending talent.    More importantly, if you believe, as I do, that the defense HAS to get much better at rushing the passer, especially since our D coordinator seems to have a serious allergy to blitzing, then the push to find that missing piece has to take its place front and center over other needs. 
    • This kid could make things really interesting and turn that flat-butt 4-3 into something really special with corners who can press. The scheme could be really sneaky good with that personnel. 
    • I don't know who else we really need to have a bounce back year, especially on D.  Along our DL, we either need to bring back Houston and Autry or figure out how to replace them - but both had pretty solid years.  Lewis was better than he had been his first couple years.  Buckner was a stud and Stewart was solid.  Having Turay come back healthy and seeing Banogu improve would be helpful, but they both played so little last year and hadn't done enough previously to indicate last year was a 'down year'.  At LB, Leonard was a first-team all pro again and very solid.  Walker was solid but saw his snap count decrease and Oke had his ups and downs while seeing his snap count dramatically increase (as @EastStreet pointed out,  not only did his snaps go way up compared to his rookie year but the way he was used was different).  I doubt we see Walker back, so it'd be nice to see Oke improve for sure.  Then in the secondary we had solid play from Rhodes, Carrie, Willis and Moore for the most part.  Blackmon was solid (especially early on, but he seemed to digress as the year went on - IMO, to be expected as he was raw coming in and was coming off a knee injury, I don't think he was supposed to get near the snaps he did last year, but we know what happened with Hooker and sort of forced Blackmon into the fire).  RYS had a down year, but I don't see why he can't bounce back - he's got the physical traits - I tend to think he battled some mental demons after some P-Int penalties, and hopefully he can refine his technique some and come back strong.     In all, on the D, I think we're in good shape.  Keep in mind, it seemed like 'Flus called the D a bit differently last year than he had in earlier years here.  We are, overall (aside from Houston, Autry, Rhodes) very young on D.  We had a very weird off-season last year, which (IMO) is critical for younger guys.  I can't help but think it didn't help the likes of guys like RYS and Oke who saw their roles increase and change (IMO, OKe's change was more than a 'slight' change) between their rookie year and year 2.     On O, ideally we'll see solid QB play from Wentz (I won't go as far as to saying he needs a 'bounce back' year as he hasn't been in Indy before and it sounds like there was a lot of toxicity in Philly, hopefully all he needs in a change of scenery and a reunion with Reich).  Our OL was solid, so as long as we can replace AC at LT I think we'll be OK there.  We had pretty consistent play from Hines and Wilkins throughout the year and JT got dramatically better as the season wore on -- I think if those guys can start up where they left off, we're more than fine at RB.  TY didn't have his best year, but he's be declining for about 3 years now, so if we bring him back, all we can do is hope he stays healthy and I think we'll be in OK shape.  Pittman missed some time with his leg compartment syndrome, but was solid down the stretch, so I don't think we need him to 'bounce back', just continue on his trajectory and he's gonna be solid.  Pascal was solid and I think we've pretty much seen his ceiling, so he just needs to stay solid.  It would be sweet to see Campbell and/or Patmon to emerge, but don't think we need them to 'bounce back' as we've never gotten high level results from them to begin with.     Then on STs, we were pretty solid all around.  Would like to see Blankenship add a bit more umphf to his kicks, but he was solid and Sanchez was solid punting.  The coverage and return units were solid overall.   So really, I think we need a comeback or bounce back year from RYS and maybe Oke... but overall, I don't think we need a 'bunch of them.'       I agree, pretty much  have to temper expectations on Speed being from a small school.  He did really improve on STs last year and he got his praise any time Ballard or any coaches spoke about him.  I get the feeling Ballard and staff are willing to use patience with project players (Ballard states that fairly regularly).  With Oke, Walker, Leonard and then Franklin who has more playing experience at LB - I don't think there was really much need to rush Speed into an LB role last year.  He got plenty of ST snaps and did well there, hopefully boosting his confidence that he can play at NFL level while still refining his LB technique in practices and the film room.     While I would rather see guys like Adams and Glasgow on STs - I don't think it is terrible to have them on the roster primarily as STers but being our 5th and 6th ranked LBs on the depth chart as well.  Meaning, if we went into the season with Leonard, Oke, Speed and Franklin as our top 4 with Adams and Glasgow as STers but listed as 5 and 6 on depth chart, I don't think it'd be the worst thing (especially considering we predominantly play with only 2 LBers on the field).  So, sure it'd be nice to bring in a mid-late round draft pick or sign a decent FA for fairly cheap, but I'd rather see us dishing out money to bring in a solid LT, a playmaker at TE (and maybe WR), retain Rhodes, ensure the DL was solid (either by bringing back Houston and Autry or by getting a guy like Bud Dupree/JJ Watt/etc.), and add OL depth.  In otherwords, regardless of if we bring Walker back or not, I don't think LB is a top 5 position of concern right now.   I don't think Walker is going to command a ton, but he was 15th in the NFL in tackles in 2018 (124), tied for 28th (105) in 2019 and in the top 50 in 2020 (92).  He's a pretty productive player and a solid one - so he's going to demand significantly more than he was getting as a 5th round pick on his rookie contract.  And yes, he definitely wants to play more and I think his biggest issue here is his lack of athleticism.  You're right, he'll probably play more in a 3-4 D and he will likely be offered more money by a team where he'll play a lot than what Ballard will offer him.    See the last line from Ballard in this article:  https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-philip-rivers-ty-hilton-xavier-rhodes-2020-season-press-conference (Ballard on Linebacker Anthony Walker: "I have a special relationship with Anthony Walker. Selfless. Team guy. Rare leader. I hope he gets into coaching one day or scouting. Mark my words on this: if Anthony Walker gets into coaching, he will be a head football coach in the National Football League. And if he gets into scouting, he'll be a general manager. He's brilliant — absolutely brilliant, and he's made of the right stuff. I know Anthony wants to play more. We value Anthony. We'll see how it works out. I want good for Anthony."   My guess is Walker is gone.  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...