Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
CR91

Leonard tells a story about a visit to a restaurant

• Like 1

When I saw that the first thing I thought was - I'm happy it wasn't in Indy.  (Or in Bama, where I live)

He's a good guy, does a lot for his community.  I hate when stuff like this happens.

• Like 1

Glad to see him speak out. The bigger names in our society speaking out will get to more eyes and ears of the country hopefully bringing even more awareness to this reality. 

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

When I saw that the first thing I thought was - I'm happy it wasn't in Indy.  (Or in Bama, where I live)

He's a good guy, does a lot for his community.  I hate when stuff like this happens.

If someone here in Indy doesn't know who he is they must live on planet Mars lmao 

He is not well spoken.
   Hopefully our players will try to contribute towards Major changes in our society that Do need to happen ASAP. This road through this type of change will Unfortunately be very rough.
 It is just how getting through MAJOR Change works.   
  And i agree it is WAY past time. God Bless all of you, stay safe.

I love his play and he’s a decent human being but he lives in a country where he has the opportunity to make millions. He lives in a country where we’ve had a black President, Congress, Supreme Court Justices, Doctors, Lawyers, CEOs, Entertainers, Athletes and others who have worked hard to become successful.
Are there racists in this country? Absolutely! But I don’t buy the narrative that police brutality is the most agregious issue the black community faces.

Not when over 7,000 are killed by black on black crime (75% unsolved because people are afraid to speak up), 74% of black children grow up in single family homes, gang violence, a 13% high school graduation rate and other more pressing issues than the rare instance of a George Floyd murder, which we all agree should not happen and should be punished.

I do hope some good will come out of all this but I unless ALL perspectives are given validity (or at least be heard), and an honest, open dialog can happen, we will end up missing the mark on exactly what needs to change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He is not well spoken.
   Hopefully our players will try to contribute towards Major changes in our society that Do need to happen ASAP. This road through this type of change will Unfortunately be very rough.
 It is just how getting through MAJOR Change works.   
  And i agree it is WAY past time. God Bless all of you, stay safe.

The 35 second video i watched above was a very poor, and disrespecful cut of a video i just watched on Stampede Blue. DL did a great job their explaining a bad situation. Taken as he shared, some day people have to be much better than they are.
 Considering the change so far from 1865, it WILL take a prolonged, tuff, invigorated campaign, to change America. 

50 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I love his play and he’s a decent human being but he lives in a country where he has the opportunity to make millions. He lives in a country where we’ve had a black President, Congress, Supreme Court Justices, Doctors, Lawyers, CEOs, Entertainers, Athletes and others who have worked hard to become successful.
Are there racists in this country? Absolutely! But I don’t buy the narrative that police brutality is the most agregious issue the black community faces.

Not when over 7,000 are killed by black on black crime (75% unsolved because people are afraid to speak up), 74% of black children grow up in single family homes, gang violence, a 13% high school graduation rate and other more pressing issues than the rare instance of a George Floyd murder, which we all agree should not happen and should be punished.

I do hope some good will come out of all this but I unless ALL perspectives are given validity (or at least be heard), and an honest, open dialog can happen, we will end up missing the mark on exactly what needs to change.

Not disagreeing with your point but I don’t think all those numbers are correct.  Especially the graduation rate. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The 35 second video i watched above was a very poor, and disrespecful cut of a video i just watched on Stampede Blue. DL did a great job their explaining a bad situation. Taken as he shared, some day people have to be much better than they are.
 Considering the change so far from 1865, it WILL take a prolonged, tuff, invigorated campaign, to change America. 

He is well spoken to me. People are too focused on the medium and not the message. 

Yes, it was not the appropriate edit, the full video is here for folks to see:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/6/25/21303848/colts-darius-leonard-states-that-he-was-racially-profiled-at-chipotle-in-south-carolina-on-thursday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Not disagreeing with your point but I don’t think all those numbers are correct.  Especially the graduation rate. 

A quick google search gave me a 69% graduation rate.   Still very alarming.

Leonard is a great guy.   I solidify my thought with the one interaction.   I was at the Colts vs Cowboys game in 2018.  Had endzone club room seats.   He came over and signed my buddies program and asked if he could borrow his Sharpie.  He then went over to a group of kids and signed a bunch of stuff.  It was 10 minutes later when he came back over and gave the Sharpie back.   We thought that was cool as didn't expect to see it again.  

• Like 2

Sorry guys. Not sure why it only showed the last 35 seconds. Here is the whole video

• Like 1

The PROBLEM is  NOT being treated as EQUAL, as HUMAN, as an AMERICAN purely based on the COLOR of  SKIN.

In this scenario making MILLIONS did not prevent Darius from being subjected to RACIAL PROFILING. What is the VALUE of that money in this situation. 

While a person who probably makes less MONEY, probably does nothing for his COMMUNITY, definitely is a RACIST, most probably is a LAIR can yield more power on the basis of the COLOR of SKIN.

The only difference is the COLOR of SKIN. That is the PROBLEM.

• Like 1

Echoing the same story that CB echoed. 

“And, we felt like he was very disrespectful and that’s the white privilege that we are talking about. There’s no Black guy that can sit there and eat peacefully without being racially profiled. We know that if that manager would have called the cops right then and there, we know what would have went down.”

"We are tired of this," Leonard says ... "I'm telling you what I go through as a Black man in America. Ya'll don't understand what I go through."

https://sports.yahoo.com/colts-all-pro-darius-leonard-says-he-was-racially-profiled-kicked-out-of-a-south-carolina-chipotle-002726183.html

The moral of the story, If DL was not an NFL player, this would have been swept under the rug.

Chipotle CEO:

CEO and Chairman of Chipotle Brian Niccol told the Indy Star that the company has a "zero tolerance policy for discrimination of any kind." Niccol added, "We have suspended our manager while we conduct a thorough investigation. I've personally reached out to Darius and I'm committed to ensuring the appropriate action is taken once the investigation concludes." 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

“And, we felt like he was very disrespectful and that’s the white privilege that we are talking about. There’s no Black guy that can sit there and eat peacefully without being racially profiled. We know that if that manager would have called the cops right then and there, we know what would have went down.”

"We are tired of this," Leonard says ... "I'm telling you what I go through as a Black man in America. Ya'll don't understand what I go through."

https://sports.yahoo.com/colts-all-pro-darius-leonard-says-he-was-racially-profiled-kicked-out-of-a-south-carolina-chipotle-002726183.html

The moral of the story, If DL was not an NFL player, this would have been swept under the rug.

Chipotle CEO:

CEO and Chairman of Chipotle Brian Niccol told the Indy Star that the company has a "zero tolerance policy for discrimination of any kind." Niccol added, "We have suspended our manager while we conduct a thorough investigation. I've personally reached out to Darius and I'm committed to ensuring the appropriate action is taken once the investigation concludes." 

They picked the wrong dude to mess with :thmup:

The problem with this is, it's not a video of the incident, it's story-time. Life is not perfect,with the possible exception of beautiful women, most people have had bad incidents in their life, bullying, physical altercations, elitism, inconsistent rules for one person but not another, micro-messaging,  I'm not sure why this is even being made public,unlike most  people he can buy into  that local franchise outright, and the manager would do whatever he told him to do, or the manager would have to hit the road.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Sorry guys. Not sure why it only showed the last 35 seconds. Here is the whole video

That instance was just plain wrong but can we really say “no black person can eat a meal without being harassed”? 
  That just seems like a stretch to me. The individuals that perpetuate bigotry should be dealt with on an individual basis, because (as in this case) it’s ugly and shouldn’t happen in America.

Most of my friends of color are decent people and I’m proud to call them friends. And most would agree the current narrative has gotten out of hand. 
  I’m sorry if I offend anyone but BLM is doing more harm than good. 

• Like 6

But there's nothing else to this story?? So a white man (always the evil white man) can say "I don't want "THEM" here" and the management will fall over backwards to kick the black family out? All this while 1/2 of their workers and a good chunk of customers are black? Why does this sound a lot like the Bubba Watson noose situation to me..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I love Learnard as a player and person for what he has done on and off the field. However, unless there is ALOT more to the story that he didn't share this one sounds like a "look at me" attention getter with some truth stretching. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I normally don't say anything about these topics because I feel like no matter which side of the fence you're on, you're wrong in someone's opinion. Im also not black so I can't speak about this when I'm completely ignorant on the subject. I am middle eastern so I can relate a little, but imo I can never understand and that saddens me that we have to be separated in such a sense. 

• Like 2

If Leonard felt that disrespected I imagine something happened. All speculation on my part though.

• Like 3

I know Leonard is great guy but let’s not forget that 2 members of this family that were kicked out are currently serving time in prison for murder. Maybe it was his 2 brothers reputations that got his family kicked out?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I know Leonard is great guy but let’s not forget that 2 members of this family that were kicked out are currently serving time in prison for murder. Maybe it was his 2 brothers reputations that got his family kicked out?

I don't even want to speculate on who was with him.

I will say this, we know that Leonard has done a lot for his community.  We've seen what kind of person he is in the close up videos that the Colts did on him last year.  Sure, we don't really know all there is about him, or his family.

But if he feels he was targeted because he's black, I'm taking his word for it until it's proven otherwise.  I feel for him, and any other person who feels they are treated differently because of their race, or creed.

1 hour ago, HectorRoberts said:

I double checked this, yes,Charlie & Cody, He had another brother Keivonte, who was killed in a nightclub,that had to be really painful for him, there is a lot of trauma in his life,  maybe everyone is looking at this from the wrong angle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Thanks. I live near Rochester NY. There are shootings every other day. God bless the police for the thankless and stressful jobs that they do

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I know Leonard is a great player but because I don't know him personally , I can't say he's a great guy. I can say, I smell fish with this story.

• Like 1

I’m always skeptical at stories like this.  A manager is told by a customer that he was harassed by a group of people, and the story somehow is parlayed into racial discrimination.  Nowadays, when it happens, the company is always going to pull the Starbucks and apologize, but we don’t really know what happened in there...

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 12:10 PM, Rackeen305 said:

Chipotle CEO:

-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz