Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boatload of WR's

AustexColt

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, no chance lol... 

I'm more than fine with keeping JB. Might as well if we're not going to spend the money elsewhere. If it were a question of JB vs signing a stud, I'd be fine with cutting him. Doubt we'll be so close to the cap, and doubt we'll sign any more big names that would put us in that position though.

My only thought is that we know what JB is and he won't be on the team next year.     Eason getting the "backup" snaps would be good for him and the future of this team.  

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

My only thought is that we know what JB is and he won't be on the team next year.     Eason getting the "backup" snaps would be good for him and the future of this team.  

While I agree (about the future), I think Ballard is in win-now mode, and like it or not, JB is our best option at QB2. Eason won't be our starter next year IMO regardless, so he's got plenty of time. He's got a ton of stuff to work on aside from just getting to know our O. Frankly if both Rivers and JB went down, I'd 100% want Kelly to the one to take over this year.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

While I agree (about the future), I think Ballard is in win-now mode, and like it or not, JB is our best option at QB2. Eason won't be our starter next year IMO regardless, so he's got plenty of time. He's got a ton of stuff to work on aside from just getting to know our O. Frankly if both Rivers and JB went down, I'd 100% want Kelly to the one to take over this year.

I think that if Rivers retires after this season, Eason could be the starter.   Of course it depends on how he looks and progresses between now and then.   

I agree that JB will be the primary backup QB.   I just wish he wasn't.  I have no confidence in him.  

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think that if Rivers retires after this season, Eason could be the starter.   Of course it depends on how he looks and progresses between now and then.   

I agree that JB will be the primary backup QB.   I just wish he wasn't.  I have no confidence in him.  

IDK, I just don't see Eason making enough progress in one year. Lot of holes to his game. He's got great raw tools though.

I'm no fan of JB as a starter, but he is a good QB2. If Rivers was out a game or two, I'd absolutely want JB bridging the gap. If Rivers was out for the season, I'd go with Kelly. To me, JB won't lose you many, but he won't win you many either. He's a great bridge for a game or two, but won't take you far in a season, and certainly not the playoffs. And I don't want to ruin Eason by asking too much of him too soon. I'd be fine with letting Kelly take a shot. He either sinks or swims. Not a huge risk of loss either way.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

No harm in rooting for a player.  

I'm rooting for Eason and Kelly to look good enough that Brissett gets released.   I know there is almost no chance of that happening, but I can still root for it.

I am seeing a doctor about it.......

We meet every Tuesday night........

I would also agree that I would LIKE to see the QB room be Rivers, Eason,  and CK....

Very very longshot on that..... 

On 6/26/2020 at 9:40 AM, w87r said:

Hell I just got my 5th straight positive test(over 6 weeks) result. So I imagine it will be sticking around some players for up to a month or more. These players have to get 2 negative test. I haven't been able to get 1 yet. All these basketball players that tested positive(Brogdon) will have to.(test negative ×2) If it shows in their system, like mine, they won't be able to play. Even if they feel alright. I'm not sure they realize that possibility right now. That they could feel completely normal or asymptomatic and still not be able to play for 4-6 weeks possibly, because ot still shows in their system.

That sucks... hope you’re okay.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Thanks

I'm good, but it definitely is wearing on me mentally. Just ready to go about my life. 

I have a buddy who was laid up for more than a month, and couldn't even get a test for 6 weeks because lack of enough symptoms. 

Prayers to you, and hang in there.

Honestly they cannot keep players from working out on their own together and as a player I honestly wouldn’t listen they have to be prepared for this year can’t wait forever to practice or be in football shape as a unit chemistry is built during the offseason and they Gel even more during the season 

I think TY, Campbell, and Pittman are locks at the 1-3 WR.   I like Pascal at #4.   There will be quality competition for the #5 WR between Marcus Robinson, Fountain, Rogers, others.  Robinson is pretty solid veteran.  Fountain was have a very good pre-season, making that 2nd year jump, until he had that unfortunate injury in the last pre-season game last year.

Hope Rivers can develop a prior basketball player to TE relationship, is liking Antonio Gates, would not expect that great of a success but something to that effect.

I like Wilkins at our #3 RB, he is a competitor, look at his play his senior year in college against #1 Alabama, he rose to the occasion and did not back down and played impressively against them, like a 1 man team.  I would not let a RB who averages 5.8 YPC go and until he shows shows he cannot average 4.3 or better or even the 4.0 target bench march.  

34 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

I think TY, Campbell, and Pittman are locks at the 1-3 WR.   I like Pascal at #4.   There will be quality competition for the #5 WR between Marcus Robinson, Fountain, Rogers, others.  Robinson is pretty solid veteran.  Fountain was have a very good pre-season, making that 2nd year jump, until he had that unfortunate injury in the last pre-season game last year.

Hope Rivers can develop a prior basketball player to TE relationship, is liking Antonio Gates, would not expect that great of a success but something to that effect.

I like Wilkins at our #3 RB, he is a competitor, look at his play his senior year in college against #1 Alabama, he rose to the occasion and did not back down and played impressively against them, like a 1 man team.  I would not let a RB who averages 5.8 YPC go and until he shows shows he cannot average 4.3 or better or even the 4.0 target bench march.  

Agree on most. Rogers is gone though. I'm assuming you mean Marcus Johnson, but I agree he is a decent vet. I lump him and Chad Williams together as being solid prospects, but will probably get passed up. 

I agree on the first three (TY, Campbell, and Pittman). If Pittman is the real deal, I'm betting we see Pascal more from the slot than from X. It will be interesting to see how things shake out. I really like Pascal, Fountain, and Dulin to take the 4-6 spots, but nothing would surprise me to be honest. Dulin looked incredible when he got snaps at return, and it's always a bonus if one of your 4-6 WRs can return, instead of using one of your starters. CB Rogers might also grab a depth spot at CB and do returns. He's pretty electric in PR/KR, but likely needs time and some weight at CB.

If you're talking about MAC, I agree. I was hoping to see him improve last year and possibly emerge, but the QB situation kind of kicked that to the curb.

I agree on Wilkins too. I know he may not be a between the Ts guy, but his numbers since college have been pretty solid YPC wise. Given he didn't get a ton of carries, he very well could still be developing and improving in that area too. I do however think a lot of RBs can look good behind our OL.

On 6/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, AustexColt said:

Due to COVID the overall time for Rivers to get his timing down would mean that the coaches have to prioritize the wideouts, TE and RBs to work with him. That's alot of players. 

I think the priority should be:  TY, Doyle, Hines, Mack, Pittman, Burton (if he is healthy). 

I realize he is a veteran QB and has thrown to many receivers, but given the limited time he has, this is going to be a huge challenge or maybe not?

What, no Campbell?

On 6/25/2020 at 10:19 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Wilkins is just a dime a dozen back.  He has good speed so if the hole is there he will hit it and make positive yards, but he typically goes down on first contact and he is not going to find an open hole if it's not where it is supposed to be.  He's just a guy that can be replaced by another just a guy.

I like Wilkins, I think he stays, IMO given more playing time he would even produce more. He IMO runs with good vision, power to break tackles, speed to get to the edge, and something intangible & hard to find sometimes, a little wiggle & the ability to get small threw holes when they are small. He is good at all of these things but not great. I think he stays, because he is good, and MUCH CHEAPER than Mack, should the Colts go in another direction next year with the drafting of Taylor.

On 6/24/2020 at 1:25 PM, AustexColt said:

Due to COVID the overall time for Rivers to get his timing down would mean that the coaches have to prioritize the wideouts, TE and RBs to work with him. That's alot of players. 

I think the priority should be:  TY, Doyle, Hines, Mack, Pittman, Burton (if he is healthy). 

I realize he is a veteran QB and has thrown to many receivers, but given the limited time he has, this is going to be a huge challenge or maybe not?

How can you make a list prioritizing our receivers that Rivers needs to get acquainted to & not name Campbell?  The best thing that can happen this season is that Campbell & Pittman both emerge as 2 of our top targets.  Allowing TY to fill more of a possession type role like Reggie was able to do when TY came on the scene. 

On 6/25/2020 at 9:03 AM, MB-ColtsFan said:

So I guess everyone has abandoned Fountain?  As it stands right now I think he still has a chance to be #5 or 6.

In previous years I liked his chances, however, with the abilities that those above him have: T.Y. (returner)

Campbell (returner)

Pascal (returner & gunner)

Pittman (gunner)

-----------------------------------------

Dulin (returner & gunner)

Patmon (gunner)

Johnson (returner)

Fountain

Fountain has his work cut out. Personally I think Dulin offers the same size/speed/athleticism as Fountain and has actually played real NFL snaps.

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

In previous years I liked his chances, however, with the abilities that those above him have: T.Y. (returner)

Campbell (returner)

Pascal (returner & gunner)

Pittman (gunner)

-----------------------------------------

Dulin (returner & gunner)

Patmon (gunner)

Johnson (returner)

Fountain

Fountain has his work cut out. Personally I think Dulin offers the same size/speed/athleticism as Fountain and has actually played real NFL snaps.

While I agree Fountain has to work for it, I'd say he's probably in the driver seat assuming he's 100% healthy.

Patmon - raw guy who doesn't play to his size, and needs to add to, and improve his route tree. I doubt we keep 3 X WRs, and I don't see him jumping Pittman and Pascal for the top 2 spots. IMO, they'd have to move Pascal to run mostly out of the slot (which is possible) for him to take the #2 X spot. IMO, he ends up on the practice squad for a year unless we have an injury in the X area.

Johnson - the digs on him have always been his hands and his toughness. Unless he's become a lot more physical, his position flexibility is likely limited to Z. He's not going to be an X given the comp there, and unless he's tough enough to run across the middle as slot and catch, his chances are low IMO. 

I do like Dulin, and he looked great when given a chance to return. He's a tough kid and could literally line up everywhere (although I prefer more size at X). I'd absolutely love to have him and Hines as our two primary return guys. Pascal could fill in as backup. I'd keep Campbell safely away from STs.

As far as Fountain is concerned, the biggest dig on him was his route tree. From everything I read, he worked his rear end off and improved dramatically in that area last off season. IMO, he plays bigger than he is, and could also line up just about everywhere like Dulin. 

On 7/7/2020 at 9:43 PM, EastStreet said:

While I agree Fountain has to work for it, I'd say he's probably in the driver seat assuming he's 100% healthy.

Patmon - raw guy who doesn't play to his size, and needs to add to, and improve his route tree. I doubt we keep 3 X WRs, and I don't see him jumping Pittman and Pascal for the top 2 spots. IMO, they'd have to move Pascal to run mostly out of the slot (which is possible) for him to take the #2 X spot. IMO, he ends up on the practice squad for a year unless we have an injury in the X area.

Johnson - the digs on him have always been his hands and his toughness. Unless he's become a lot more physical, his position flexibility is likely limited to Z. He's not going to be an X given the comp there, and unless he's tough enough to run across the middle as slot and catch, his chances are low IMO. 

I do like Dulin, and he looked great when given a chance to return. He's a tough kid and could literally line up everywhere (although I prefer more size at X). I'd absolutely love to have him and Hines as our two primary return guys. Pascal could fill in as backup. I'd keep Campbell safely away from STs.

As far as Fountain is concerned, the biggest dig on him was his route tree. From everything I read, he worked his rear end off and improved dramatically in that area last off season. IMO, he plays bigger than he is, and could also line up just about everywhere like Dulin. 

I agree about Patmon but it sure is nice to have a player like this to put on the practice squad. I think our ST could be top 5.

8 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I agree about Patmon but it sure is nice to have a player like this to put on the practice squad. I think our ST could be top 5.

I loved the late pick. I think Ballard made a conscious decision to never be without a possession X again lol. Pascal isn't one, and when Funch went out last year we were limited all year.  Don't get me wrong, I love Pascal, but he's not going to make Ds scared, and his size is limited for a lot of what we want to do. Pascal IMO is most valuable running as a big slot on short yardage and RZ situations. 

Patmon could develop really nicely if we're patient. He could make a big jump if he just could add to, and crispen up his route tree. I'd love to see him work with whoever Fountain worked with two offseasons ago, as all reports said his route trees improved tremendously. It's hard to teach someone to play bigger, but not ruling gains out there either. A 1-2 punch at X WR of Pittman and Patmon would be extremely nice if Patmon could take a step up.

Archived