Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Lucky Colts Fan

Leonard one of the best against the pass

Hold it, didn't someone say that the Colts couldn't pay everyone...goodbye Leonard?

:)

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I was wondering when he would finally get recognition, all those interceptions are incredible 

I posted some stats on Leonard last week. 

- one of the NFL's best in INTs for all positions, and was #1 among LBs

- one of the better 4-3 LBs in terms of sacks even though we played a ton of zone and blitzed 6th least in the league

-has been top 5 in Ts/game every year...

What's not to like lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

I still remember when people were upset we drafted him. 

Hmmmm. 

Most of those upset simply never heard of him (which I can understand). Or wanted some flash. 

Folks that really followed the prospects and draft weren't upset. It was certainly fair though to be a bit skeptical. I personally was happy with the pick as I saw the position as a need, but I also thought the small school aspects added a level of risk. He absolutely had the measureables and stats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

I still remember when people were upset we drafted him. 

Hmmmm. 

I think a lot of people had never heard of him. I don't remember any media outlets mentioning him during the predraft process. It didn't take long for Leonard to become a household name.

17 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Hold it, didn't someone say that the Colts couldn't pay everyone...goodbye Leonard?

:)

Yeah, giving another shout out to "that guy" here :thmup:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

I think a lot of people had never heard of him. I don't remember any media outlets mentioning him during the predraft process. It didn't take long for Leonard to become a household name.

he's gonna be our new version of Antone Bethea. a surprise pick that excelled. 

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Most of those upset simply never heard of him (which I can understand). Or wanted some flash. 

Folks that really followed the prospects and draft weren't upset. It was certainly fair though to be a bit skeptical. I personally was happy with the pick as I saw the position as a need, but I also thought the small school aspects added a level of risk. He absolutely had the measureables and stats.

I liked him as a prospect to fill the WILL spot, but the small school piece was my biggest concern. I mocked him to us bunch in the 3rd, so I was a bit surprised to see him go in the 2nd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KelownaColtsFan said:

Very true,  That is why we need to defer to Ballard and his staff in finding talent.  It is their job!  For the rest of us it is a sideline or hobby and there is no way we can put in the time to evaluate players the way they do.

That's not to say they hit on a winner with every pick, but I bet they are better than if we got together and completed an NFL draft. And I mean completing an NFL draft during the draft.  Setting up the board, fielding and making calls, making the on the spot decisions that will impact the team for years.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Very true,  That is why we need to defer to Ballard and his staff in finding talent.  It is their job!  For the rest of us it is a sideline or hobby and there is no way we can put in the time to evaluate players the way they do.

That's not to say they hit on a winner with every pick, but I bet they are better than if we got together and completed an NFL draft. And I mean completing an NFL draft during the draft.  Setting up the board, fielding and making calls, making the on the spot decisions that will impact the team for years.  

I would love at least a contributor with every pick from the first 2 rounds that become starters within 2 or 3 years at worst. Pro Bowl and All Pro is gravy on top of that. 

• Like 2

Just now, chad72 said:

I would love at least a contributor with every pick from the first 2 rounds that become starters within 2 or 3 years at worst. Pro Bowl and All Pro is gravy on top of that. 

honestly, i think this team has the POTENTIAL to shock people. Last year, it seemed like it was the offense that screwed the Defense more times than not. by the end of the game, we looked gassed. Combined with the injuries depleting our reserves, looking back, im surprised we did as well as we did.

I think Leonard is going to reset the LB market. Just too unique of a player to be paid like a traditional WILL or even a MIKE. 

Ballard will gladly pay him...but even with all of the cap space they currently have...it will likely come at the expense of another player or two. But that’s how it works...when you have elite talent.

I am very excited to see what the Leonard and Okereke duo can do for the pass defense going forward. The middle of the field has long been a vulnerability of this team. I think having two guys (that are built and move like big WRs) covering the middle of the field is going to be fun to watch.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Shive said:

I liked him as a prospect to fill the WILL spot, but the small school piece was my biggest concern. I mocked him to us bunch in the 3rd, so I was a bit surprised to see him go in the 2nd.

IIRC, he was projected a 2nd rounder by most of the services, including NFL.com and Walter. 

IMO, it was less of a reach up than some of the others I've seen in the early to mid rounds. Could he have lasted, maybe. But when you like a guy that checks all the boxes, you go get him if it's iffy that he last to the next pick.

19 hours ago, Crush22 said:

Leonard.

One of the best against the free pass.

So just what are you talking about?